test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What STO desperately needs...

goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
I've played a number of MMORPG's, most of them swords and sorcery based, but with all of them, what most of the players want is the ability to customize the way their character looks. I think STO has done a wonderful job with this from the character perspective, but not such a good job with this from the perspective of the ship the character is in.

Eventually, if the game developers didn't build such customization in from the beginning, they end up building it in at the end. Bottom line is if you want to keep your player base, you have to give them the ability to customize their characters...in STO's case...their ships. Currently there's not enough options.
klingon-bridge.jpg

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well it's not entirely up to them...

What we have right now is pretty much all you should expect... Thank CBS for that.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    ...What we have right now is pretty much all you should expect...

See above...the proverbial death knell of STO.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The sheer number of ships we have, some with as many as 5 possible configuations and all the kitbash parts that allows, plus all the hull material options, plus shield options, plus all the pattern options available.....short of building your own ships from scratch I'm not sure what else you'd add.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    goodscotch wrote: »

It might be easy for you to say, but it's far more complicated than that, honestly. They can't wake up and decide "Y'know, I wanna add X to Y." If they do, CBS has to give them the A-OKm and they honestly don't like to alter too much of their stuff.

Also, before someone else says it: dooooooooooooooom!
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well it's not entirely up to them...

What we have right now is pretty much all you should expect... Thank CBS for that.

Why is it then that the older CBS ships that were in the tv shows have more options then the newer craptic ships your logic is flawed e,g oddy avenger n the dsd with its changes so small no one else can see them unless there on top of u.
    The vesta has better options then craptic ships n there had to buy the rights to use it
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited June 2014

If you only knew how many of these threads I've seen in the past 4½ years...

Lack of X will kill the game... Missing Y will make players leave... Lack of Z will shut down cryptic...

You do know theres a "Dooooooommmm" thread, right?
    wilbor2 wrote: »
    Why is it then that the older CBS ships that were in the tv shows have more options then the newer craptic ships your logic is flawed e,g oddy avenger n the dsd with its changes so small no one else can see them unless there on top of u.
    The vesta has better options then craptic ships n there had to buy the rights to use it

Yea... but let's not forget that it took more than 2 years to get permission to use the Vesta... AND, Cryptic is not CBS... They don't make the final call on this... Paramount did (who owned Star Trek at the time of the series).
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If you only knew how many of these threads I've seen in the past 4½ years...

Lack of X will kill the game... Missing Y will make players leave... Lack of Z will shut down cryptic...

You do know theres a "Dooooooommmm" thread, right?

I think a lack of the Allied APC Ranger, the ArmCom Ta.UX001 Prototype, and the Fox+Cat SR-7 is seriously going to doom STO. ;)
    what most of the players want is

Meh, what most of the players want is seldom what somebody claims most of the players want. :(
  • conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Unfortunately history has shown players can't be trusted with too many options.
  • asches1asches1 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Sorry to say, but I'm OK with the possible customisation of the ships. It's Star Trek and it should be Star Trek. I think the momentary Risian Luxury Cruiser is an attempt and it FAILED. So, don't go designing, if you can't really stick to the canon. I have nothing agains new ships and designs, but stick to Star Trek. Don't try to put a Battlestar Galactica Fighter design into STO or somethings like that. It wouldn't be Star Trek anymore and i don't think i would be the only one sad about that and maybe even quitting. So customisation is ok i think. But its everybody's prerogative to post his ideas about the game.
    Everybody looks right, but you pass left...
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,214 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What sto desperately needs is players to stop whining about minor things and acting like they're the biggest problems in the world.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.