test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why does STO PVP mean so much to you?

thishorizonthishorizon Member Posts: 1,158
edited June 2014 in PvP Gameplay
For me.....

It's Trek. I get to pilot my own starship.

The ship graphic models and overall look of the game is beautiful.

And most importantly, Trekkies are who I would like to surround myself with while gaming.

That's why I want good PVP in this game. I find myself logging in just to get that feel. Of being the captain of a starship in my favorite scifi universe.

It's not about grinding. Or gear, or anything else.

It's about sharing gaming time with other Trekkies to test our might against one another.

I guess one can keep on wishing for some solid mechanics. Maybe a different map here and there.
One of these days maybe someone will listen.

Until then, my brothers...

Second star to the right. And straight on till morning.

Have fun kill bad guys.
Post edited by thishorizon on

Comments

• Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It puts my acquired gear to use.

It's fun.

Takes more brainpower then the mindlessly pve content we have.
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    PvP represents what is best in life, in STO: To blast your enemies, see them explode before you, and hear their lamentations over the intercom.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    For me.....

It's Trek. I get to pilot my own starship.

The ship graphic models and overall look of the game is beautiful.

And most importantly, Trekkies are who I would like to surround myself with while gaming.

That's why I want good PVP in this game. I find myself logging in just to get that feel. Of being the captain of a starship in my favorite scifi universe.

It's not about grinding. Or gear, or anything else.

It's about sharing gaming time with other Trekkies to test our might against one another.

I guess one can keep on wishing for some solid mechanics. Maybe a different map here and there.
    One of these days maybe someone will listen.

Until then, my brothers...

Second star to the right. And straight on till morning.

Have fun kill bad guys.

...warp 9, engage!
  • Options
    magniacapramagniacapra Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    For trek? Not so much.

Graphics? Eve Online has better looking ships/environments and is better art directed, which is depending on the way you look at it, is either an astonishing achievement for CCP (given the nature of that game) or a damning indictment for Cryptic.

Mechanics? Bingo.
    There (was) something nice and fluid to the mechanics of the game, capital ship based combat that featured a lot of RPG elements. Similar examples and it's not something I see anyone else trying to replicate (elite or star citizen are all going twitch)
  • Options
    teuteburgteuteburg Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hi!

It is really simple: Challange!
    Stomping Pug's in faw-Scimi is not what it is all about!
    Flying against 5 equally equiped/skilled ppl and having
    a good time (sometime we even win :). That is why I PvP.

Greetz Siegfried
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hawkhawkinshawkhawkins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It means so much of nothing to me.
    I care for it not a lick.

Why? Because I never liked star trek movies or shows because of their dps and pew pew.
    Wargaming is selling this franchise short.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    PvP represents what is best in life, in STO: To blast your enemies, see them explode before you, and hear their lamentations over the intercom.

Indeed!

Never saying I'm good or anything like that, but it's the only place to test your build and what you know of the game. There's no real PVE challenge. The only "challenge" comes from cheesey 1-shots or invisitorps from the NPCs. They do not react like players do. They barely do any abilities at all. But players have a say in what they'll do in return. Some will be be terrible at it. Some will provide a challenge. Some will wipe the floor with you no matter what for that fight. But that's the spirit of it: Because a thinking, reacting player is a better challenge for the PVE that passes for this game. Unless you're familiar with the names, you don't know what you're getting.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    oakland4lifeoakland4life Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    PvP was good when fed ships was blowing up left and right to our Great Empire...

Now the war is over, and for some reason we team up with Feds to help them kill each other and at the same time kill our own people...

there is no honor in that...

Nowadayz i'm a retire war veteran getting drunk and hanging out with RP'ers on the Drozana station while Cryptic try to figure out more ways to kill off PvP...
  • Options
    rck01rck01 Member Posts: 808 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I discovered PvP after I realized all of the "elite" PvE content had become either ridiculously easy for me (ISE, KASE, CSE) or bugged to the point of being nearly impossible to complete (HOE).

At first I completely embarrassed myself. Few, if any, of my PvE "skills" were worth much against a living, breathing, adaptable opponent. But as I got better - mostly by seeking out advice fro skilled players and then applying their lessons where possible - I found myself spending more and more time in Ker'rat, the queues, etc.

It's now to the point where I spend the vast majority of my STO time in some sort of PvP environment. In fact, I loathe those times when I'm forced to venture back into PvE in order to grind marks or other in-game currency.

Frankly, if there were a way to complete all of the grind requirements via PvP rewards, I would likely never bother with PvE content. But as it stands, we're forced to dip our toes back into that side of the pond from time to time in order to "keep up with the Joneses." :(

RCK
  • Options
    zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited June 2014
    It is not as boring as 98% of the rest of the game and stuff they don't stop to pretend it would be "Content". Still PvP as such is in a bad shape, but still it is far more exciting than that stupid NPC-Bashing, how can people spend their free time with that?!
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
  • Options
    snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Cryptic had years to make it better. It even had good suggestions from vets who no longer play this game. They ignored everyone to cater to the carebears in the game.

So now it's dying, and they have no one to blame but themselves.

The only thing that keeps me logging in from time to time is the chance at pew with the many friends that I've made during the years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I didn't pvp in while, but sto is the only game where I actually did pvp extensively.
    The reason is simple: it's the only end content that
    A. Pays off the work invested into stuff. Everything else can be done with white mkix. Here is the only place equip does count. (Which is in return one of the reasons I don't pvp any more: at this point you can only use 2 or 3 equipment sets/builds, everything else has become so inferior to that it's boring again)
    B. it used to be the only content with some variety. Infected? Can be done blind. The only surprises in any pve is to find out new degrees of stupiditys on other players and new ways how they can TRIBBLE up a mission that really can not be screwed up.
    But the enemy's are all the same. Thee always the same enemy's in those grindet missions. They behave the same, they do the same thing, they react the exact same way to the exact same things.
    In pvp you never know.

But looking at the op... For a "Star Trek feeling"... No that was never the case in pvp for me at all. Any dieing and resawning kills the immersion and that naturally happens constantly in pvp, if not to yourself then to your enemy. In good games to both.
  • Options
    sharxtremesharxtreme Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    zeratk wrote: »
    It is not as boring as 98% of the rest of the game and stuff they don't stop to pretend it would be "Content". Still PvP as such is in a bad shape, but still it is far more exciting than that stupid NPC-Bashing, how can people spend their free time with that?!

I agree completely Zeras. PvP can be much better if they start to make some improvements but it's way more fun then 99% of grind-only stuff.
    PvE is no challenge at all and Episodes are so rare(last one was actually surprisingly decent)
  • Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Why STO in particular? In short, I have not seen any other RPG-style space-based game yet.....and it's Star Trek.

Why PvP? PvE is essentially a damage-fest. Not much point to any other role. Only in PvP can you actually pilot something that does no damage and still be an important part of the team. Drainers, healers, CCers, vapers, all of these are almost useless in PvE. Viral Matrix, SS, JS, Siphon, Tyken's, TB, all pointless.
  • Options
    webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    STO PVP means so much to me, because I've already done most of the content of the game I truelly desire. There is really nothing in Star Trek Online that holds my interest. And its constantly running into something new. Either a new player, or a new way some one flys their ship. Or even the way I die. It is still usually a new experience.
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bobtheyakbobtheyak Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    STO PvP can satisfy a craving for competition without being too stressful. It's relatively casual and relaxing compared to the vast majority of competitive online games. It gives just enough of a challenge to require a moderate amount of effort but not so much as to make you want to pull your hair out.

Sure there are many more challenging games but those games can be too intense and kind of defeat the purpose of playing for fun. Video games should be fun - not frustrating.
  • Options
    alejogalejog Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    bobtheyak wrote: »
    STO PvP can satisfy a craving for competition without being too stressful. It's relatively casual and relaxing compared to the vast majority of competitive online games. It gives just enough of a challenge to require a moderate amount of effort but not so much as to make you want to pull your hair out.

Sure there are many more challenging games but those games can be too intense and kind of defeat the purpose of playing for fun. Video games should be fun - not frustrating.

I'm not sure whether I can agree with this. I've pulled my hair plenty of times due to STO. Lol.

But why pvp, because there are no other Star Trek games where I can fly my own ship and interact with other people such as this one and there is only so many times you can run the same pve mission before it becomes incredibly annoying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]-32nd Vipers- PvP Team

Nothing is impossible to him who would try.... except getting cryptic to care about pvp.
  • Options
    nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hmm for space, I like being the "Balance of Terror" bop launching red plasma of DOOOOOOM! at fed boats. Never gets old lol.

I'm mostly a grounder tho and while the animation is clunky, the UI laggy and some of the new additions just make me scratch my head, I still thoroughly enjoy running around phaser in hand battling it out with other players.
  • Options
    jaegernljaegernl Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I've never been much of a PvP'er in MMO's, apart from dabbling in Arena matches in EverQuest's Bazar. And still, that was more in good fun than actual hardcore combat. There were times when people still use 'The Arena' map for PvP events in that game, but, by the time I got active - around Kunark - that was mostly gone.

However, STO has pretty much changed my mind on PvP. It's the game where I have my first real PvP experience in an RPG-type setting. And I like it. I like going up against an opponent that reacts to what I do. I like the banter in Ker'rat. I like the way the PvP community seems to feel connected, even though there may be a petty argument here and there. I'm quite fond of the way people in this subforum test things, point out flaws, give advice and generally just want to have a good time shooting eachother.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Devotion Paladin
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Because playing against thinking skillful opponents is a hell of a lot more fun than spacebar mashing against NPCs that are so stupid that they defy description.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    "Why does STO PVP mean so much to you?"

I'm not really sure how to answer that one.

"Is it that it's Trek? You get to pilot your own starship?"

It's never quite felt like Trek. The game is far too starfighter compared to starship - oft feel as if it could have been a game for the Atari 2600 or Nintendo 8-bit. It's more arcade shooter than complex space battle game. It lacks the epic feel of battles that took place onscreen with Star Trek.

"What about the ship graphic models? Do you find the overall look of the game to be beautiful?"

Well, that's a yes and non about the models. Though, it's more no than yes and more yes than no depending on how I look at it. Lol, no pun intended - but the looking part plays a big role in that. For the most part, playing it from a distance of 1-3 ship lengths - so much of the detail simply is not seen. Some of the ships are damn amazing if you zoom in on them and just move around them while looking...but uh...whether in PvP or PvE - that's not what's happening, so the models don't really come into play. Besides, my preferred ships aren't really that good for PvP.

As for the overall look of the game? To be honest, I don't really find it all that good looking. It's hard to explain that...it's obviously going to be subjective...but compared to how space looks in EVE, eh? Oh well...

"What about being surrounded by Trekkies?"

I generally don't get along with Trekkies. I hate stereotyping, but so many of them are extremely delusional when it comes to Canon. They treat it like they watched a series on Discovery or the History Channel about Start Trek...rather than it being the inconsistent fiction that it was. Ships were invincible until they needed to be blown up - ships were blown up until they needed to be invincible. Trying to do an entertaining story massively overwhelmed any consistency - anything one could use Canon as a basis to discuss how something should or shouldn't work. With Star Trek, all Canon is - is what happened on screen - it doesn't tell us anything other than that because of all the plotmongering that took place.

"Do you find yourself logging in just to get that feel - of being the captain of a starship in my favorite scifi universe?"

Can't really say that Star Trek is my favorite sci-fi universe. I'd much rather be playing a game set in the Blade Runner IP or even some of Gibson's cypberpunk, eh? But Star Trek is definitely one of my longest running favorites - just not "the" favorite.

And like I said, STO stopped feeling like Trek a long time ago...meh.

"So uh, VD - just why do play STO and why do you PvP in STO?"

Hell if I know...I guess it's like I said in another thread, it's kind of just become habitual. Wake up, take a leak, check my sugar, take a shot, go for a smoke, eat something, go for a smoke...at some point I'll log in to STO...it's just part of my day...

...if they continue upon a path of trying to kill PvP, though - er - even though I don't PvP anywhere near as much as I did; I'd probably kick the STO habit and move along. I can only take so much of the PvE in the game - I can only take so much of the chat in the game - I can only take so much of the forums for the game...then I have to go blow folks up and get blown up by folks. It's a release valve of sorts...without it, I wouldn't go near this game with a ten thousand foot pole.
  • Options
    tmghost999tmghost999 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    snoge00f wrote: »
    Cryptic had years to make it better. It even had good suggestions from vets who no longer play this game. They ignored everyone to cater to the carebears in the game.

So now it's dying, and they have no one to blame but themselves.

The only thing that keeps me logging in from time to time is the chance at pew with the many friends that I've made during the years.

^^ This ^^

Unfortunatly, with each login it becomes more and more obvius that PVP is dying... :(
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I've got a personal life rule, which is to never take a game more seriously than the devs, lest I end up trolling myself. As such, PVP in STO means nothing to me. I enjoy PVP here more than most other aspects of the game, but I cant commit anything to it as long as its a sideshow to a SP/coop game.
  • Options
    riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's fun.

Takes more effort than outsmarting mindless, computer-driven, script-based NPCs.

I can pilot the ships I love.

Point with PvP is that there's NOTHING wrong with it. It's PvE heroes who don't like giving themselves a run for the money and complain about other people's deep knowledge of the game.
    My first PvP was in a sovvie, rainbow beams, worse than lame consoles and equipment, no clue of what TT was. I got obliterated by a tac JHAS. My first reaction when I warped out wasn't of rage, but excitement of what I could do as a tactical captain. From there I started my PvP adventure.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    deokkent wrote: »
    I bet you don't really believe really that. :P

Yes I do. Sometimes I even question if I'm lone wolf with that idea...
    When you meet a more skilled/better geared player there's nothing much you can do apart dying. Blaming PvP as ultimate excuse for everything really got me sick tired that I don't care anymore to what others say about it.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yes I do. Sometimes I even question if I'm lone wolf with that idea...
    When you meet a more skilled/better geared player there's nothing much you can do apart dying. Blaming PvP as ultimate excuse for everything really got me sick tired that I don't care anymore to what others say about it.

You fight a cloned copy of yourself. The cloned copy plays more and has more experience. You would expect the more experienced version of yourself to win.

You fight a cloned copy of yourself. The cloned copy has much better gear than you. You would expect the better geared version of yourself to win.

That's all fine and dandy...but uh...with all the RNG and gimmicks...it's extremely easy to set up the scenarios where you could fight the cloned copy of yourself that not only has more experience than you but is also better geared...and you could still win.

There's all sorts of things wrong with STO...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    You fight a cloned copy of yourself. The cloned copy plays more and has more experience. You would expect the more experienced version of yourself to win.

You fight a cloned copy of yourself. The cloned copy has much better gear than you. You would expect the better geared version of yourself to win.

That's all fine and dandy...but uh...with all the RNG and gimmicks...it's extremely easy to set up the scenarios where you could fight the cloned copy of yourself that not only has more experience than you but is also better geared...and you could still win.

There's all sorts of things wrong with STO...

Assuming I can fight a theoretical perfect copy of me with the exact same skills and ship will lead the match to a stall, or until someone randomly gets kissed by a lucky series of crits and ends it.

Even in such case, STO is team based. To win someone better than you, you need to have him making errors that will lead him to defeat. You can't predict perfectly the outcome of a fight, but you can make a very close speculation based on the opponents' skills and ships. Note that I've said "there's nothing much you can do...". It means there is something, just harder to come by.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of fighting a very good fleetie, flying a JHAS with evident advantages over my FPER that we both recognized. As a romulan he had thru the roof crit stats compared to mine (10% more CrtH, 30% more CrtD), was using Elite Fleet Shields with resist to phasers, while I didn't for his energy type. In the end it was quite obvious he had the edge over me. I nearly had him twice, once I pushed him to 4%. Even if officially I didn't get any kill, I consider the whole situation. Who and under what form had the advantage? How did I do? How did he do? Could I have done better? When I got out, we deeply thanked each other for the nice fights and I was proud of my performance because I demonstrated I was able to hold my ground. I've shown I'm a skilled PvPer who fights until hull melts down. There's more beyond a mere leaderboard with numbers.