2»

Comments

• Options
    elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Slightly offtopic buuuuut..

-Rule #4 The bridge must be located at the top center of the primary hull-

This NEVER ceases to confuse me...

Place the command center of the ship (excluding battle bridges etc) in an EXTREMELY vulnerable position, assuming shields are gone.

Maritime/marine vessels i understand having a clear window over the vessel etc, but with the high tech nature of starships hell even VIEWSCREENS having a window is a tad unnecessary

please someone, explain where my mind is going wrong with putting a bridge somewhere not buried in the ship?

Bonus point, why is there a transporter on ds9's ops, again, a big exposing flaw if someone taps into your transporters >.<;
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Place the command center of the ship (excluding battle bridges etc) in an EXTREMELY vulnerable position, assuming shields are gone.

Maritime/marine vessels i understand having a clear window over the vessel etc, but with the high tech nature of starships hell even VIEWSCREENS having a window is a tad unnecessary

please someone, explain where my mind is going wrong with putting a bridge somewhere not buried in the ship?

Bonus point, why is there a transporter on ds9's ops, again, a big exposing flaw if someone taps into your transporters >.<;

Well this would be the same space faring Organisation who forgot about the mythical technology called "seat belts" and can't make a Control system that isn't liable to explode , killing its user ,

"Look at this genius design sir, I'll route the Plasma flow through the control system, despite this being unnecessary and dangerous"

Starfleet Medical should lodge a formal complaint with starfleet command about the negligence of the Corps of Engineers
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    adverbero wrote: »
    Well this would be the same space faring Organisation who forgot about the mythical technology called "seat belts" and can't make a Control system that isn't liable to explode , killing its user ,

"Look at this genius design sir, I'll route the Plasma flow through the control system, despite this being unnecessary and dangerous"

Starfleet Medical should lodge a formal complaint with starfleet command about the negligence of the Corps of Engineers

good point :P
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
  • Options
    miri2miri2 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Well, I've always rationalized it this way: when you listen to a lot of dialogue from ToS and TNG, the characters talk more or less like if your shields go down in combat, you're screwed. Watching The Wrath of Khan pretty much cements that impression in my mind. The Reliant basically took out the Enterprise in two shots, and one gets the impression from the only torpedo impact in that movie that Khan could have blown the entire saucer section to kingdom come in one shot if he was so inclined.
    If one accepts that premise, you might as well put the bridge where it would make the most intuitive sense for the crew and (to be a little meta here) for the audience.

[When working with a setting which does not have this dynamic, though, I do agree with you, Elan. When I was doing some ameture design work for another sci-fi setting, I put the bridge more or less where you suggested-- near the core of the ship, positioned slightly forward of and one deck up from main engineering. I expect that would cause all manner of foot-traffic issues, but would certainly help protect the command section as much as possible.]
    “True success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm.”
    -- Winston Churchill
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    miri2 wrote: »
    Well, I've always rationalized it this way: when you listen to a lot of dialogue from ToS and TNG, the characters talk more or less like if your shields go down in combat, you're screwed. Watching The Wrath of Khan pretty much cements that impression in my mind. The Reliant basically took out the Enterprise in two shots, and one gets the impression from the only torpedo impact in that movie that Khan could have blown the entire saucer section to kingdom come in one shot if he was so inclined.
    If one accepts that premise, you might as well put the bridge where it would make the most intuitive sense for the crew and (to be a little meta here) for the audience.

[When working with a setting which does not have this dynamic, though, I do agree with you, Elan. When I was doing some ameture design work for another sci-fi setting, I put the bridge more or less where you suggested-- near the core of the ship, positioned slightly forward of and one deck up from main engineering. I expect that would cause all manner of foot-traffic issues, but would certainly help protect the command section as much as possible.]

eep another good point :P

Thinking about it looking at Star trek VI you see the brel's torp blast through a huge chunk of the saucer.. making my central bridge rant moot XD

Thanks for the perspective ^^