test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Introduce us to the Lobi Consortium

mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
The thin veneer of justification for lockbox ships is the lobi consortium. I think it's "thin veneer" because we know very little about it, and there is nothing that makes us believe such a thing could exist.

But what if we turned that around ?What if there was a mission in game that actually introduces us to the lobi consortium and how it works?

By what we know from the bit of background information and its meaning for the game, it belongs to Quark and it was selling surplus Ferengi ships. How did he get his hands on them?
From there, it grew - it collected Jem'Hardar Attack Fighters that suddenly appeared in the alph quadrant, and make them fit for duty. It got its hand on Cardassian Galors, and more and more ships and made them all fit for duty for the KDF, Federation and eventually Romulan Republic.

It seems the lobi consortium has highly skilled engineers and scientists in employ, as they are able to refit Borg Adapted ships and even Undine bioships!

Let us visit one of their ship yards, and see what they are doing, introduce us to their lead scientists. Let us help them, or steal something from them, or whatever.

Bonus points if you can get Armin Shimmerman or another DS9 alumni, but if not, that's okay, too.
Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I am trying to ignore the whole Lobi Consortium thing alltogether.
    So I wouldn't want to see missions centered around it. The easier it is to ignore, the better in my opinion.
    I prefer to deal with alien ships on a "meta-level" instead of an in-universe level... as in... I am trying to overlook them. Elaborating on the lackluster explanation would make things worse in my opinion.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The thin veneer of justification for lockbox ships is the lobi consortium. I think it's "thin veneer" because we know very little about it, and there is nothing that makes us believe such a thing could exist.

But what if we turned that around ?What if there was a mission in game that actually introduces us to the lobi consortium and how it works?

By what we know from the bit of background information and its meaning for the game, it belongs to Quark and it was selling surplus Ferengi ships. How did he get his hands on them?
    From there, it grew - it collected Jem'Hardar Attack Fighters that suddenly appeared in the alph quadrant, and make them fit for duty. It got its hand on Cardassian Galors, and more and more ships and made them all fit for duty for the KDF, Federation and eventually Romulan Republic.

It seems the lobi consortium has highly skilled engineers and scientists in employ, as they are able to refit Borg Adapted ships and even Undine bioships!

Let us visit one of their ship yards, and see what they are doing, introduce us to their lead scientists. Let us help them, or steal something from them, or whatever.

Bonus points if you can get Armin Shimmerman or another DS9 alumni, but if not, that's okay, too.

Well we sort of had that introduction with the Lobi Store, so that would be a good starting point. So if they ever add Ferenginar, would be an interesting mission to have Level 50 players do (since the items in the Lobi Store can't be used by anyone who isn't an Admiral).

Maybe at the Lobi Consortium HQ, there could be terminals that give us the story of how they acquired X ship from Y Lockbox, and providing players with information of stuff in the lockboxes.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I personally don't think we need an in-game justification for the "Lobi Consortium" - in fact, they shouldn't even be mentioned. The lockboxes and alien ships are a gameplay gimmick, so people can play vessels they saw in the shows without there being a playable "faction" for these vessels. It's the same with the uniform customization. We all know that nobody would really play an MMO if you couldn't customize your snowflake character to "stand out" - it is completely unnecessary for the game to explain that "Starfleet lifted the uniform code in 2409" only to appearently reinstate it in 2410 ;) No, some things don't need to be explained, we get that they are a pure gameplay element.

That and because the "explanations" they come up with actually do insult my intelligence/suspension of disbelief more than they clear things up. It's a game, I get it, no need to butcher certain elements of it to ridiculousness.

EDIT: Someone once mentioned his personal headcanon is whenever he sees Tholian, Ferengi, Breen etc. vessels is that those ships in fact are contributions of these powers to combat the "threat" that each of the sentient races of the galaxy face in STOs lore. Granted, the bioships can't be explained that way, but I tend to ignore players using those. Quite literally, I don't look at them and probably don't heal/support them as well XD
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think providing context to the lobi consortium is an excellent idea. Somewhere between the iron bank and Section 31 of the ferengi. Could be a lot of fun.

Obviously we would need to perform the picard maneuver to outrun them :)
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    you want someone to hold your hand and take you to a ferengi for a Lobi Consortium introduction? :D

It is easier than getting a beer from fridge. Just visit Drozana, and talk to the ferengi with a funny icon over his head. Mission accomplished :P
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • obeythenagusobeythenagus Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If they added Ferenginar to the game, they could put the lobi consortium headquarters there.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I am generally not one of those people who needs to connect all the dots in their imagination. I understand that certain tropes need to be accepted due to the realities of it being a game and not a simulator. If I am going to accept that we are flying around in a hundreds different alien ships due to the game I really do not need to have an in-game reason as for why.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Can't be done... me personally being part of Section 31 would have to hunt them down and "accident them".

Why? They are a threat to federation security, thats why.

Not only are they selling Stolen gear to current and former enemies, they are also known to be in possession of temporal AND Starfleet technology.

So they would all accidentally have to die.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • exa12exa12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I prefer to look at it as a Black Market Middle man, the Consortium by itself supplies D'koras and Galors (because the Fluff crytic gave when they were released it actually make sense) and other reasonable items, but the rest is just a simplification of cutting deals with less-than-legal groups that have acquired said tech

for spoiler text use #1b1c1f
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited May 2014