Install Arc
Options

For once and for all: Overcapping

2»

Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Quads are rough... [Dmg]x4 mod...no Accuracy.

On one guy, I've got a Rare Mk XI [Acc]x2 Single Cannon (placeholder for the Lobi SHC) that's sporting 778.7 DPV/1038.2 DPS. The VR (Mk-less) Quad Disruptor Cannons on the same guy are 1015 DPV/1353.3 DPS. A VR Mk XII [Acc]x3 Nanite Disruptor DHC on the same guy is 1950.9 DPV/1294 DPS.

Guy's not geared at all, lol, he's toon #8 so he's down there on the effort put into his build (also one of the goofy reasons he's even got the Quads on there - was on a KDF boat buying spree and grabbed them).

But on him - that's almost half the DPV for barely a little more DPS for the Quads vs. Nanites...and 30% less Accuracy to hit the target.

They are fun to fire in PvE though...heh, can pretend they're more brutal than they are - sound and look more brutal, they just don't back it up with actual damage. Lol, the lil' dog with the bark worse than the bite.
  • Options
    wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited May 2014
    i wouldn't give the at launch guys to much credit. if you look closely, the game feels like it was created and balanced with tier 2, maybe tier 3 ships in mind. at tier 2, player ships and npcs are pretty close to the same thing, its when you power creep all the way to tier 5 that everything goes sideways, and pve and pvp become 2 separate games. i think there's a good reason tier 2 pvp feels so right. its shear luck that everything works as well as it does at tier 5 in my opinion. but i suppose it pretty bullet proof, it must be, when you throw in sets, traits, rep and the pure unadulterated perversion doffs make possible, and it all actually still sorta works

in farness, running out of time sacrificed a lot of quality at launch im sure, but npcs are one of those things that they have had 4 years to revamp properly, instead with each new batch of npcs its the same terrible formula, with a new look. still NOTHING like player ships, having you face hundreds of them like they are some forest critter in a fantastic mmo and not a STAR SHIP, and still to simple for something like a sci ship or subnuking to have any effect on them.

I see where you are coming from but I think it is more the fact that abilities available to NPCs and players is about the same there. Once yo get to T3 especially T4 and T5 the NPC skills are stuck in T2 but players are t5 with a dozen different powers that boost or mitigate damage. Can you imagine what those NPCs would say if they could post here.
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I also think they need to pen the battle field so to speak make all weapons max range 15-20KM. With sever fall off of damage at 12KM. This will also help mitigate spam in the center of a 10km "bubble". Torps would have potentially 20KM range but other skills would be more balanced. I mean is it really necessary to have 10KM wide grav wells.
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
  • Options
    davideightdavideight Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    excessive weaponpower above 125 has exactly these benefits and no other:

if you have 125(+25) weaponpower, and someone drains 50 weaponpower, youll have 100 instead of 75.

everything else you see or not see is a DISPLAYING BUG in the UI with energy weapon drain and refill.

no weapon fires with more than basedmg x 125energy-factor. each further weapon will fire with less energy, EVEN IF THE DISPLAY TELLS 125 constant, cause your fillup is so quick - IT WONT HAVE actual effect in the weapons dmg.

the only benefit of the excessive weaponpower is the "i have more energy than you can drain" effect from above.
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Then again, I think they should all have three types...

Heavy - Rapid - Multiple Target

...whether talking Cannons, Beams, or even Torpedoes.

Actually I would take this idea a bit further and in a slightly different direction.

Fire at Will: Allow it to effect all energy weapons, including cannons. Might just make some weapon combinations a touch more interesting. Modify it so the only way it significantly increases damage output is against multiple targets.

Rapid Fire: Once again just allow it to effect all energy weapons.

Beam Overload: Keep it as is.

Volley: Only effect cannons and apply a mini torpedo spread effect as well.

Eh, not looking as good as I would want. I guess what I'm trying to say is the above details are bad but I really wish there was more support for more weapon type layouts.

Right now you got either DHC+turret OR BAs as your primary weapon arrays with a token single torpedo/DBB/Mine as a quasi secondary weapon array. I want to see a ship with beam arrays and turrets, beam banks and turrets, single cannons and beam arrays, and a reason to have them. I think if boff abilities modified more than one weapon type and had a bit more flexibility, such as a power that gave a 90 degree torpedo launcher a 180 degree arc for a single shot / 15 seconds or a rapid fire that effected DBBs and turrets would really open up the options.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    davideight wrote: »

if you have 125(+25) weaponpower, and someone drains 50 weaponpower, youll have 100 instead of 75.

everything else you see or not see is a DISPLAYING BUG in the UI with energy weapon drain and refill.

no weapon fires with more than basedmg x 125energy-factor. each further weapon will fire with less energy, EVEN IF THE DISPLAY TELLS 125 constant, cause your fillup is so quick - IT WONT HAVE actual effect in the weapons dmg.

the only benefit of the excessive weaponpower is the "i have more energy than you can drain" effect from above.

I think this has been disproved.
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014

oh i wish. i wish that wile overcaping and i fire BO it didnt drain ALL my overcaped power plus 50 more power, but it does.

it is no display error, otherwise beam wouldn't have improved so much from all the creep in power and drain res. we have not imagined beams being capable of sooo much more damage then they used to be able too. ive been trying to run beam boat tac cruisers since season 2, wasn't till about a year and a half ago that they didn't stop being a joke.