test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Kinetic Shearing and Blipping

virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
edited May 2014 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Brought it up on Tribble, but since it made it to live - I'll bring it up here as well. Much like there is the issue with the Gravity Well and Tyken's Rift aftershocks causing a cloaked player to blip (become visible for a short duration); Kinetic Shearing is doing the same thing.

Fire off a slow moving torpedo. Park off to the side. When the torp hits and triggers Shearing, the person that fired the torp (or dropped the mines) will blip as if they were making a fresh attack.

It's long overdue that this should have been fixed for aftershocks from GW/TR without adding more things that trigger the bug. It's not a fresh attack - it's an effect from a previous attack - don't treat it like a fresh attack.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Sounds almost WAI to me. Think of multiple pulse attacks like Tachyon Beam, in a way an aftershock GW is like a second pulse.

Sure Kinetic shearing lends itself to EBC ships, but its just blipping ie. not putting you in red alert?

As for mines...not sure which way it would make the most sense, but doesn't seem odd to me that you would blip again in case a mine hits.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    havam wrote: »
    Sounds almost WAI to me. Think of multiple pulse attacks like Tachyon Beam, in a way an aftershock GW is like a second pulse.

Sure Kinetic shearing lends itself to EBC ships, but its just blipping ie. not putting you in red alert?

As for mines...not sure which way it would make the most sense, but doesn't seem odd to me that you would blip again in case a mine hits.

It puts you in Red Alert.

Thing is, the aftershock for a GW/TR is being triggered by the GW/TR...not the player. So it's not going to be like hitting up Tach/TBR/the various other things which will permablip you during their duration.

The same with the Kinetic Shearing - the player is not causing the shearing - the projectile is causing the shearing.

You blip when you attack. If you're not attacking, then why would you blip? Both the GW/TR issue and the Shearing are not cases of the player attacking.

When a DoT lands from a Plasma Torp or Mine, it does not cause the person to blip. Cause it's an effect from the projectile...Kinetic Shearing is an effect from the projectile in the same manner.

GW/TR aftershocks can trigger when the player that dropped the initial GW/TR is well out of range to have placed the aftershock - it's triggered from the initial GW/TR.

You drop mines - you're 30km away - somebody triggers them - you're not making an attack...but you'll blip all the same.

And yes, it's a combat alert blip. So would have to test it, but for folks with a standard cloak - dropping mines - moving on and cloaking, it would likely decloak them by putting them in combat.

I had just looked at how Kinetic Shearing was bad for EBC boats on Tribble...continuing the issue that GW/TR started. Noticed that it went live on Holo...so pointing it out.
  • Options
    nlindgren57nlindgren57 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think people have been asking them to fix the cloak since...the game launched. I'm with you in it would be nice to see issues like this fixed, but unfortunately they're obviously not a high priority.
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It puts you in Red Alert.

Thing is, the aftershock for a GW/TR is being triggered by the GW/TR...not the player. So it's not going to be like hitting up Tach/TBR/the various other things which will permablip you during their duration.

The same with the Kinetic Shearing - the player is not causing the shearing - the projectile is causing the shearing.

You blip when you attack. If you're not attacking, then why would you blip? Both the GW/TR issue and the Shearing are not cases of the player attacking.

When a DoT lands from a Plasma Torp or Mine, it does not cause the person to blip. Cause it's an effect from the projectile...Kinetic Shearing is an effect from the projectile in the same manner.

GW/TR aftershocks can trigger when the player that dropped the initial GW/TR is well out of range to have placed the aftershock - it's triggered from the initial GW/TR.

You drop mines - you're 30km away - somebody triggers them - you're not making an attack...but you'll blip all the same.

And yes, it's a combat alert blip. So would have to test it, but for folks with a standard cloak - dropping mines - moving on and cloaking, it would likely decloak them by putting them in combat.

I had just looked at how Kinetic Shearing was bad for EBC boats on Tribble...continuing the issue that GW/TR started. Noticed that it went live on Holo...so pointing it out.
    Yeah you have a point there about the radiation dots and plasma dots.....i recant my previous post and shall argue along your side until it gets fixed (ETA 2018)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I think people have been asking them to fix the cloak since...the game launched. I'm with you in it would be nice to see issues like this fixed, but unfortunately they're obviously not a high priority.

It's just one of those things - where they toyed around with a pretty powerful revision to OWT, then changed it to favor Kinetic over Energy, and then changed it to OKS instead. They took a look at the 3stack and made it a 5stack...kudos. Didn't check on the incompatibility issue (the overwrite aspect) from running the new FE on toons and dealing with graphics issues/other bugs, wasn't much time.

But with 30 minutes until the downtime, I figured I'd hit up Ker'rat. Sure enough, spent almost the whole time visible - because of a combination of slow torps/mines that weren't obliterated by FAW spam triggering blips mixed in with the blips from actually attacking.

Had forgotten about some mines over a Sphere/Probe spawn point...a Sphere spawned...put me in combat ~18km away...from the Kinetic Shearing triggering. Not from the mines themselves, but just from the Kinetic Shearing.

No doubt it's not a gamestopping bug in the least, meh - I've got guys with no access to any of their Rep traits, got guys with only 2 available Ground Species/Career traits...got all sorts of issues all over the place, this would just be a case of not slotting Shearing.

Besides, it looks like AtD causes immunity to it...there was one guy where OKS never triggered and it was the only thing he had up the entire time. It wasn't a case of it being cleared by HE/ST...or even WCE...they weren't there.
    havam wrote: »
    Yeah you have a point there about the radiation dots and plasma dots.....i recant my previous post and shall argue along your side until it gets fixed (ETA 2018)

Heh, 2018? Even I'm not that optimistic. :P

In the end, it's more of an informational thing than expecting it ever to be addressed. Like I said, just don't slot OKS and there's no issue with it.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Wonder if this is tied into the Parent -> Child -> Grandchild issue and the combatlog. Thinking back to talk about Plasma Projectiles, there are certain projectiles where the DoT is not attributed to the person that dropped out the projectile. You have to hunt it down manually, hope somebody else wasn't running them as well, etc, etc, etc.

So in order to avoid that issue and have the damage from said items log for their owner with GW/TR/OKS, they bypassed the child part connecting the Grandchild to the Parent - thus with an aftershock or shearing, the Parent enters combat/blips.
  • Options
    ovinspaceovinspace Member Posts: 310
    edited April 2014
    On Tribble was shearing criting and working on dispersal patterns, TS and THY?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    ovinspace wrote: »
    On Tribble was shearing criting and working on dispersal patterns, TS and THY?

With the Crit...I don't remember, but I don't believe so. Since it was 40% of the damage, if that damage was a Crit and then it could Crit again - that would be doubledipping.

Now, with TS/HY - there was the discussion of the problem with overwriting - since each of the torps in a TS/HY-Salvo do less damage individually than a normal torp...you could overwrite a SDoT wtih a weaker SDoT from using them.

You know, if they turned around to disable it working with TS/HY...that could explain the "invulnerability" issue that I may have mistakenly attributed to AtD. Hrmmm, if it doesn't work with them - then it doesn't work.

Let me try it out on a NPC. Nope, TS/HY/DPB all triggered OKS.
  • Options
    foxxblitzfoxxblitz Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Confirmed.

This appears to only affect ships with Enhanced Battle Cloak.

The cloak bugs definitely need to be fixed. They're starting to stack up.