test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO has ended up being a endless faction grind.

captainfarstarcaptainfarstar Member Posts: 14 Arc User
It seems the only endgame we will ever get is the cut and paste faction grind which Cryptic seem intend on releasing.

Season 8 added the Dyson Command faction and now season 9 is seems more or less a repetition of what we just got back in 2013.

There hasn't been any real content worth doing since the original Borg STF's 4 years ago, let's face it the Nukara Prime maps were already there before they were added to the STF que

I hope season 10 adds something other another faction grind :rolleyes:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Grinding is OP, plz grind
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Cryptic's market research has concluded that you grind, therefore you like grind. Thus they give you more of what you like. :D
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    MMO standard gameplay is OP, please nerf.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    PE Needs to hire some of the show's original writers to come up with new content. If we're going to be doing all of these "sequels" of past Trek baddies making a comeback, we may as well have their creators doing the storyline. That idea alone would make the game feel more like continuing where the shows/movies left off.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    They are not going to hire a writer when they have one already. The writing does not always make the mission fun.

You could have an amazing story, but terrible gameplay making the story less enjoyable. Same thing vice versa.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No MMO I've played introduced new content that doesn't have some sort of grind attached. STO is just faction rep grinds.
  • Options
    charliescot25charliescot25 Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I rarely come on this game much. I only come on to do a few stfs, then log back out because I am sick of the grinding.

Taking a break:cool:
    [SIGPIC]USSDundee_zpsfcfe716b.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There hasn't been any real content worth doing since the original Borg STF's 4 years ago,

I was with you up until you went off the rails with the Borg comment. The STFs weren't available at launch. When they did debut shortly after launch they were horrid. A bug filled mess that was barely playable. They took many dev passes to get playable and even then, in that iteration were too long and not really worth the effort in terms of bang for your buck due to the time investment.

They got streamlined, and very playable, but now they're just part of that same grind you're complaining about. The difference between them and Storming the Spire is they're not time gated during the event. So you can finish them in under 5 minutes instead of being "forced" to sit in the game and play it for 15 minutes. And then for both you have to wait 60 minutes to replay.

So while I definitely see your point about the endless grind, you can't point to the borg STFs as anything other than a part of that endless grind. Come May they'll pay out the same as any other STF, and so the only difference is you can finish them quicker due to no artificial time contraints.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    What the hell!!! Who said you could stop grinding, get back to work now! Those rep's won't complete them selves.....
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well, I have to grudgingly admit that Cryptic & PWE can really set the hook when they put their minds to offering tasty bait! Just when I was nearing the light at the end of a long reputation grind tunnel, it turns out to be a train after all...:eek: Now we have had weeks of promotions leading up to the new season, and I just...can't...turn...away...:o I'm going to have to force myself into a mental "tourist mode" to avoid complete assimilation! At least my meager budget prevents me from signing over my entire life to PWE. :rolleyes:
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Grinding is OP, plz grind

Grinding is OP, let someone else grind.
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    All video games are based on grinding the same repeatable content over and over. If you don't like grinding stop playing video games. :P

Haven't they flat out said they only care about repeatable content now and have given up on FEs completely?
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    Haven't they flat out said they only care about repeatable content now and have given up on FEs completely?

Yea...but people do not read.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited April 2014
    Grindfest to no purpose is the only thing STO is pushing right now as some other MMO's

However there is end game content they are not using

player driven economy like swg had the first 2 years
    player driven entertainment healing like swg had the first 2 years
    player driven citys/colonys like swg had the first 2 years

Sim city style building for your colonys citys
    open space sectors to explore and colonize gain faction territory perks
    duty officers to populate your colonys
    shipyards to defend your colonys..build your ships at ect
    manage your colony ...grow food /trade/ training/defenses/many social aspects

put 4 or more sectors between all of our exsisting sectors giving lots of unexplored sectors to use ...give freighters something to do...no transwarps in these sectors

lots of end game content to do

cryptic just isnt doing any of it
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »
    cryptic just isnt doing any of it

This is because they think the Star Trek IP = infinite dollar signs. They didn't do it for the fanbase or to contribute to the universe. They did it for the money, NOTHING MORE.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    This is because they think the Star Trek IP = infinite dollar signs. They didn't do it for the fanbase or to contribute to the universe. They did it for the money, NOTHING MORE.
    Ya it's called business bro. Businesses exist to earn profit, not to contribute to fictional universes. lol
    You think all the people that made the shows did it for the fans and to contribute to the universe? hahaha they did it cause it's fun playing spaceship and getting paid buckets of money for it. Ask that old hag doing voice overs as Tasha Yar if she enjoy's contributing to the Trek verse. again I lol that was a good one man.
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    stoutes wrote: »
    Grinding is OP, let someone else grind.

Actually grinding is useless as the item or reward for the grind will eventually be nerfed to placate those who did not bother to grind.
    Why work so hard just to lose it before they introduce new grind that will end up being nerfed before the next new grind arrives?
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    nobscunobscu Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I once tried to fight grind, too. Even though I resisted, the grind forgave me, and absolved me of my once fun-gameplay sinful ways. The grind forgives you, too. The grind forgives all. In the grind's loving embrace, I was reborn. The grind has given me new purpose and new fulfillment. I thank the grind everyday, for I definitely wouldn't have been here without it's love.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nobscu wrote: »
    I once tried to fight grind, too. Even though I resisted, the grind forgave me, and absolved me of my once fun-gameplay sinful ways. The grind forgives you, too. The grind forgives all. In the grind's loving embrace, I was reborn. The grind has given me new purpose and new fulfillment. I thank the grind everyday, for I definitely wouldn't have been here without it's love.
    Blessed be the grind.
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Most MMOs have faction grinds, WoW has some of the worst, however in other games it is the content that makes it seem like less of a grind. There are more ways to get the rep, this one has such a limited number of ways and that is the problem. Add more content to appeal to different tastes and I think people would not notice the grind so easily.
  • Options
    darren0kitlordarren0kitlor Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I really wish that they'd take some high-quality foundry maps and turn them into settings for STFs, PvP, Fleet Actions, etc.

People get pretty creative: whole cities, destructible buildings, etc. It's a little hackneyed but fun.

A season of 6 STF "halfs" (i.e. space map, ground map) to add to the queue (as well as consolidating the queues based on reward and difficulty level) would be welcome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bladewolf5bladewolf5 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    When i find the grind no longer fun, i go on to play other games, maybe is time for me to play face of mankind again.:D
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    What online game isn't a grind?
    But STO is one of less fun grinds, to be sure.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Blessed be the grind.

And wealth to all of its parties.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bladewolf5 wrote: »
    When i find the grind no longer fun, i go on to play other games, maybe is time for me to play face of mankind again.:D

Whenever I get sick of STO I reinstall APB and remind myself how lovely of a publisher PWE really is.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Why people play one game i never know, then complain it's boring....Play other stuff , I come back to STO every other week or two just to see how things are.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Why people play one game i never know, then complain it's boring....Play other stuff , I come back to STO ever other week or two just to see how things are.
    Your avatar is boring why don't you ever change it?

:P
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    edited April 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Your avatar is boring why don't you ever change it?

:P

This forum is boring! Why don't they ever change it?

We always talk on here, why don't we ever change the activity?

Your name colors are boring, why don't you ever change it Askray?

These life-long mysteries may never be solved.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I dont mind the grind, as its optional, i have completed o e, the dyason reputation on one character, out of 20, no rush at all :)
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Few suggestions:

"Content approved" foundry maps offer Reputation Marks as optional rewards.

Level gated Rep map variants (lvl 10-20 Infected Space etc.) and Rep XPonly projects can be slotted starting from lvl 10 (not gear/store unlocks).

Have Rep Maps integrated into the story, i.e. when doing Tal Shiar Borg Missions, open the Optional lBorg STF's.

Mission Replay's offer optional content related Rep Marks, as well as.

... Big stretch ... Offer Rep Gear as Mission Rewards if you replay content related missions, AFTER reaching lvl 50 AND gaining Tier 1,2,3,4 in the associated Rep, but only generic Rep items such as Omega Consumables, or Romulan Consumables NOT "Set Items" such as KHG set
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png