test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tholian Recluse Carrier flying backwards

vallden1vallden1 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
For lack of finding a better place to put this I am posting it here.

Based on Intellectual Property (IP) outside of Star Trek Online (STO), and an obvious flaw in deployment of fighters, I believe the Recluse is flying backwards. From what I have been able to determine from originating IPs, Tholian ships travel in the direction of the narrow end of the ship. Not hard to figure out that the concept is a flying triangle. Obviously STO is allowed liberties in the reimagining of Star Trek and Star Trek ship design. With that in mind, I will toss out conforming to originating IP concepts and focus on the Recluse as is.
The individual who designed the Recluse put a lot of thought into the design. One of the best ideas is the ability to open and close. The Recluse does not due this in game. However, a quick examination will show that the ability to open and close is intended. In the aft interior of the ship there is a Scissor Jack to open and close the ship. Shown in the below image:
STO_R2_zps6d6f8dc4.png

With the current direction of travel the Recluse would, and does, expose its interior to enemy fire while deploying fighters. A very obvious tactical mistake.
STO_R3_zps4b9da9f4.png

Reversing the direction of travel eliminates the Recluse’s fighter deployment flaw, and in my opinion look cooler.
STO_R4_zps32432a61.png

Should not be hard to reverse the current color scheme to fit a reversal of travel. The engine trails might take a bit more work. The deflector dish effect would need to be moved as well. Also would be cool if the Recluse opened and closed like it is designed. Do I expect this to ever be done? Not in my lifetime. Just had to point this out because my heart dies a little every time I see a Recluse and think how bad TRIBBLE it could look. Imagining it opening to deploy fighters, and closing when recovering fighters. Sigh, I can only dream.
Post edited by vallden1 on

Comments

• captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Im not sure about that, its probably more the game designers habit to put hollow spaces on their ships, like with the ShiKahr, the Aurora, and the Comet class.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited April 2014
    vallden1 wrote: »
    For lack of finding a better place to put this I am posting it here..

Interesting observation, but you're wrong.

Looking at them, the Recluse in particular makes you wonder, "gosh this creates a vulnerability".

Ignoring that structural integrity fields, deflector arrays, shielding and armour also play a huge role in viability of any design, simply looking at it and saying it's bad because it's open is a little daft. Who knows? Maybe the geometry of the opening is perfect for their shield arrays?

All speculation aside, the IP owners had approval over the design. They were likely a few designs along the way.

My two bits.

Admiral Thrax
  • vallden1vallden1 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Changing the direction of travel, this is how I imagine deploying fighters. While buttoned up the Recluse closes within fighter deployment range, or closer. Being a high value target the enemy focuses their fire on the Recluse. It is taking a beating but the fighters are protected. Shields down she starts rolling to dissipate energy weapons across her armor. Cracks form along her sides as she opens for deployment. At full bloom the fighters are ejected into battle. She buttons back up and slams head on into enemy lines drawing fire from the fighters. Never exposing herslef or fighters to the enemy.
    edited April 2014
    captz1pp wrote: »
    Im not sure about that, its probably more the game designers habit to put hollow spaces on their ships, like with the ShiKahr, the Aurora, and the Comet class.

It's hard to tell form the pictures. Imagine it is designed like an umbrella. Pushing the runner towards the top of the umbrella spreads it open. If you could do the same to the center of the Recluse, it would spread open. I will try to get an image that better shows the arm support rods like an umbrella has.
    edited April 2014
    captz1pp wrote: »

Ok this should show the arm supports better.
    Recluse-4A_zps7b946f2e.png
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'll admit. I can see it. Would be pretty cool if they did something like that but that's about al likely as every one having to pee at the same time.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'll admit. I can see it. Would be pretty cool if they did something like that but that's about al likely as every one having to pee at the same time.
    Nah, that's pretty easy to arrange. You just put something in the water supply.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    Nah, that's pretty easy to arrange. You just put something in the water supply.

what about the people who don't have a static water supply and drink from rivers and such?

• killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It would be so awesome if the recluse actually opened and closed. Now that you've shown it to me, I can't un-see it...
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Nah. They just went for a claw-like appearance.
    edited April 2014
    Nah. They just went for a claw-like appearance.

The claaaw

• xingchoxingcho Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I just think the designer was a fan of Blake's 7

seek017.jpg