test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Junior Officer Event Feedback

hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
So yeah, right when I was about to claim a doff with my particle fragments, game decides to just take them away. I don't believe this.

Well I guess it's my fault for being slightly late, but still. Pretty annoying. :rolleyes:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would rather have my teeth wrenched out by a drunken barman than suffer through more grind.

Sometimes I wonder if Cryptic unintentionally enjoys to trolling the customers.

How many threads complained about the last event? How many people raised concerned about the length and duration of the time gate event?

Junior Officer Appreciation.

>.<

So after doing over 124 cycles of MU I am faced with JO#$%^Appreciation.

I thought ok it can't be that bad right. Scan five particles (my mind was already resisting even that), I embarked on an epic tale of WTF.

Firstly I need to scan over 20 to get just 5.... on 1 of eight toons.

............................. wait for it

for a white doff.

I then hear I have to run that $%^&^ mission for 75 particles ([insert deity] knows how many miss fires included!!!) for 1 lousy purple doff.

Now my mind is going into road rage.....

So you expect it to be reasonable to consider it remotely attractive over a four day period to ask a RL working individual to collect 600 particles.

No you don't.

Its my problem that I have so many toons.

Its the principle behind the grind that has ensured I log in less and certain why I don't bother with events anymore.

Having multiple toons was never an issue until Season 8.

Now its impossible.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Isn't the DOFF the exocomp DOFF from before? It's a cool DOFF and all ... but ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    Isn't the DOFF the exocomp DOFF from before? It's a cool DOFF and all ... but ...

LOL I don't care if its a Betty Midler doff singing "Wind Beneath My Wings"!!!

Its not going to happpppeeeen!
  • kolbrandrkolbrandr Member Posts: 266
    edited April 2014
    75? Holy TRIBBLE.
  • philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No, the Exocomp is only one per character. If you got it before, you are sol.

I ran it, got my 75 particles and traded them in for a very-rare doff. I chose an engineering cadet to assist me during collection, so got a purple fabrication engineer, which was random luck of the draw within the engineering field. Not sure if operations doffs are part of the pool, if you selected engineering.

No, this event for free doffs will surely test even the hardcore grinder....

Ohh, fun fact. If you have any particles above the 75 required, the Prof takes them too.... :mad:

Edit: PS... took about 40 mins.... would have been less, but was having fun stunning then punching holographic Klingons....
    Are we there yet?
    edited April 2014
    LOL I don't care if its a Betty Midler doff singing "Wind Beneath My Wings"!!!

Well now you've really created a quandry for me. I DO WANT that DOFF.

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well now you've really created a quandry for me. I DO WANT that DOFF.

;)

I was under the impression that the exocomp doff was gained by speaking to the chap next to the Doff kitty.

This scanning game is for a random doff.
  • atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I concur. The ROI on this is terrible. Not worth the time and effort. Your time is better spent doing doff missions for a purple, or spending fleet marks, or, well, anything but this event beyond the free Reman.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Honestly, a rare purple doff of your choice for about 30 minutes of particle grind... i dont see the problem. The purple officer of the MU event was almost useless, and it cost so many headaches... i think this weekend event is an improvement, not the opposite.

Of course, another doff reward after the MU event.. maybe that is not the right choice.. but i dont think cryptic does things for the purpose of making a better game anymore. STO is not a "game" anymore, it is just a grind house that we can call our "hobby job".

Anyways, when i collected 75 particles, i was able to choose between an engineer doff, tactical doff or science doff. Even if i chose a tactical cadet in the beginning. It was not "random" for me.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    you gave up on the PVP tournaments?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited April 2014
    thay8472 wrote: »
    you gave up on the PVP tournaments?

The PvP tournaments gave up on me :(
    edited April 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the exocomp doff was gained by speaking to the chap next to the Doff kitty.

This scanning game is for a random doff.

Ah, ok.

That clarification helps.

Still, that Midler DOFF ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I noticed the respawn rates for particles is a bit higher. Probably isn't. Ofcourse 90% of them still freakin' collapse on you... :rolleyes:

You get bored quick and realize it's not worth the time.
  • mosquito214mosquito214 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've always hated this boring, confusing event. But hey, a free DOff? Why not. I'll give it a shot.

Twenty-some "Particle collapsed. Keep searching!" messages in a row, I'm already past sick of it all over again. How many am I going to have to get to before the other 35 players, for an 80-90% chance it'll do nothing.

Eh, I'm sure people will have fun with it, but this was the one hourly I stopped after trying once, and bringing it back isn't changing my mind.

EDIT: Changed wording to be less "umad".
  • starlancedstarlanced Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, no offence but this event SUCKS! Way too many colapsed particles! Please, please, please go back to the hourly system, it was much better!!!
    edited April 2014
    The Exocomp you get for free. The DOffs you get for particles is based on what kind of cadet you recruit to follow you. I assume it's a random, already-existing one, rather than a new DOff.

Anyway, I hated this event when it was an hourly, and did it... once, ever, maybe. It's just... awful, in every way. I figured I'd give it a try now, though. Free DOff, right?

Twenty-four "Particle has collapsed. Keep searching!" messages in a row, blerg. Not really feeling like it's worth it.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's an 1 1/2 hours of pressing f and firing a gun for a purple XII doff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I gave up long time ago hehe

But well have one char left and started a romie to get some fun to the board ....
    But I hope they gonna improve somehow otherwise it's a long time hanging on the balcony on DS9 !!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Was never a huge fan of this event, ran it very infrequently before they took it away, never really missed it.

The free purple doff, exocomp or reman, is nice.

However, pity there's no alternate prize for those who already have it.

If the particles were a bit quicker to farm, or the rewards substantially better, I may have decided to run this........but they're not, so I'm not.

Having said all that, always happy to get some more CXP.

So, I'm not anoyed at this event.

Relatively pleased at a couple of the elements, properly meh at the other.
  • zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited April 2014

Seventeen (SEVENTEEN) "Particle collapsed. Keep searching!" messages in a row (IN A ROW), I'm already past sick of it all over again. How many am I going to have to get to before the other 35 players, to even get a one in three chance that the particle will do absolutely nothing, and a chance that it will start a fun little minigame of "pick one of three buttons and hope it maybe rewards you".

95% of mine collapsed. I abonended it. Grief-Event. Get your Free Mainteance DOff and leave the Academy.
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
  • tyranthraxisiityranthraxisii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Because I got a crappy 2 trait purple engineer with Emotional and Teamwork :/ I wouldn't do it again, theres not enough area with particles, and too many people running around. Thanks for the events though, we miss them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=TREQGl54BU8&feature=endscreen
    I thought WoW's forums had angry elitist snobs, but I never could have imagined the level STO forums has.:confused:
    edited April 2014
    Now that I've had a chance to cool down (I admit, the giant chain of collapses really got me over-frustrated), it's... well, it's still not something I'm gonna do, but I guess they did need to keep people from farming it.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, okay... between the historically bad ratio of collapsed particles that give bupkis and fighting with everybody else over particle spawns and my own lack of patience...

I may pass on this part.

My Rom-KDF Reman Captain will appreciate getting a fine Reman Duty Officer, however.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • tyranthraxisiityranthraxisii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Having done the doff appreciation, and saw the garbage purple doff I got(maybe RNG, not sure) I will be the first to say(after being adamantly opposed to those saying this about the MU)

You don't HAVE to do this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=TREQGl54BU8&feature=endscreen
    I thought WoW's forums had angry elitist snobs, but I never could have imagined the level STO forums has.:confused:
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Thread move/merge
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • pwefailpwefail Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    scanned 9 particles.8 collapsed and one beamed in a klingon.such a waste of someones time making that.
    bored,logged out.
    The player formerly known as Chunter.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Is the purple doff reward RNG?

Well...
    Dev Blog wrote:
    As you scan and capture particles you’ll help to train the cadet, and in exchange your faction will release a new random Duty Officer to you.

...that is what "random" tends to mean. -shrug-
  • prodigalhackerprodigalhacker Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Particle collapsed. Keep searching!

This game is more than grindy enough already, this new event seems pretty cool until you realize it's going to take 300+ scans to get the purple doff...
  • roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I did particle trace chasing once, a few years ago and swore to myself I would never do it again. Same for dilithium mining. If I need dilithium that bad I'll just buy the stuff. If I really wanted a purple duty officer bad enough to consider particle chasing I would just throw some money into keys sell them on exchange and buy a purple duty officer there. Much prefer to get them from support/prisoner exchange/asylum/etc missions.

Though I did do MI for Hakeev, but at least that was in space. Ground=bad for me.
  • rankin0bassrankin0bass Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    One thing that's irritating is the number of cadets sprinting all over the place due to the enemy holograms. How about thinning out the population of the academy during events?

Now on to the other annoyance, "particle collapsed", which seems to happen about 80% of the time. I'd rather farm more particles at a much more consistent rate than have large stretches where nothing is being accomplished.

And finally, add more particles all over or relax the instance creation so more are made during this event.