test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulan and Reman bridge officers

peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Romulan Discussion
Basically, what is the best way to get them? I really have no interest in having my allied faction species on the bridge of my warbird. But the vast majority of the boffs my Romulan toons get are allied. Is there any reliable way to only get Rommie and Reman bridge officers of high quality? I know the boff vendors on New Romulous and the flotilla sell them, but only white quality and no remans.

SO how do the rest of you go about staffing your warbirds?

(And for the record, I have no interest in Embassy boffs. I want to be able to customize them.)
It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
Post edited by peetapipmac on

Comments

• Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Basically, what is the best way to get them? I really have no interest in having my allied faction species on the bridge of my warbird. But the vast majority of the boffs my Romulan toons get are allied. Is there any reliable way to only get Rommie and Reman bridge officers of high quality? I know the boff vendors on New Romulous and the flotilla sell them, but only white quality and no remans.

SO how do the rest of you go about staffing your warbirds?

(And for the record, I have no interest in Embassy boffs. I want to be able to customize them.)
    First, what level is your character? I ask because at certain levels you can get Officers that might be to your liking. Then you can use the Exchange for the other Bridge officers if you don't find what you're seeking.

For example, you get Satra, Hiven, and Veril doing the beginning missions (and they may not be the best out there, but they're good for whatever), then you get D'vex after doing Devil's Choice. Plus, you have Tovan, who isn't too bad either.

For me, I just do whatever I feel like doing at the moment. I even have some Bridge officers from either the Federation (on three of my Romulan/Reman characters) as well as my 3 KDF aligned Romulan/Reman characters.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Two are lvl fifty and I have one new one. I have all the officers you mentioned. but beyond the ones you get from story and leveling, I am having a hard time getting more. And it irks me having fed or kdf on my romulan ship. It wouldn't be as bad if I could put them in romulan uniform, but even then I would prefer roms and remans in their place.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Two are lvl fifty and I have one new one. I have all the officers you mentioned. but beyond the ones you get from story and leveling, I am having a hard time getting more. And it irks me having fed or kdf on my romulan ship. It wouldn't be as bad if I could put them in romulan uniform, but even then I would prefer roms and remans in their place.
    Then use the Exchange to get a full Romulan/Reman crew, that seems to be the only other way of doing it.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There is a 'white" BoFF vendor in the command center in an "office' cubicle at the back corner of the room where the BO trainer and DoFF console is, there is also a BoFF Vendor on the Flotilla (next to the BO Trainer) ... The Recruits are random, and being "white" the best you can hope for is Tier 2 abilities and "Basic Romulan Operative" (if that's your thing) but they are only 240 Dilithium.

White, Green and sometimes Blue BoFF's sell for around 20K EC on the exchange with no Operative traits.

Basic Romulan Operative can go for 50K to 500K EC. "Romulan Operative" sells for 500K <-> 2Mil EC and 'Superior Romulan Operative for 3Mil <->25Mil EC
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have heard that there are recruitment doff assignments that pop up rarely in tau dewa or in New Roulus command, but I have yet to see them. I suspect that either someone is pulling my leg or they unlock at a higher recruitment level than what I'm at.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I have heard that there are recruitment doff assignments that pop up rarely in tau dewa or in New Roulus command, but I have yet to see them. I suspect that either someone is pulling my leg or they unlock at a higher recruitment level than what I'm at.

I'll be honest, I paid no attention whatsoever to where I was, but I do know that Recruitment missions HAVE popped up from time to time ...
  • Options
    rerednawrerednaw Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Never saw romulan recruitment assignments but yeah maybe skill not high enough. I have just been grindng alts to get BOFFs. Already get Romulan Operative on two of your quest reward boffs so only need two more, maybe three.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited March 2014

My main Rom has been parked in New Rom Command for 2 weeks while I did the Mirror event and I checked my DOFF assignments every day before and after doin the Mirror run... So unless its tied to recruitment rank, I begin to think that rumor is BS
  • Options
    adamofnodadamofnod Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    UTqdgJK.jpg

You want Romulan and Reman Boffs for free? Park your butt in New Romulus Command and be patient.
    The recruitment assignments come every 2 days after completion of the previous assignment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    engelenhartengelenhart Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Basically, what is the best way to get them?

Level another Romulan and mail the BOFFS to your main Romulan.
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You can get them in the command center, that's where I usually do, and Tau Dewa sector space. Lately I've been having a string of bad luck where I get other races (until a week ago I had never seen Andorian or Bajoran come up in New Romulus command), but for a while there I was getting Romulan every couple days. I have a Romulan engineer recruitment project going right now.

Reman is much rarer, I've only seen in come up maybe twice for me in the time I've been playing.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    You'd think that, seeing as how the Remans are now allied with the Romulans (at least Obisek essentially agreed to an alliance, with D'Tan basically in charge) that the drop rate for Reman Bridge Officers would be much higher ... Even to having a "Reman BoFF contact somewhere on new Romulus or in the Command Center .. .Alas it's yet another one of those things that "FED-tic" has "overlooked".
  • Options
    serenitysalanderserenitysalander Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Remans seem to be overlooked more than the Romulan faction, like an after-thought. Ariennye the Reman colony isn't even accessible to us. Even if we play as a Reman.
    tumblr_inline_nqn574h3sb1qhuwtq_540.jpg
    Name: Meaghan

Fleets: Tal'Diann, Imperial Romulan Fleet, Axanar Marines, LGBT of Starfleet, House of Ta'al

Characters: Dhivael i'Ratleihfi t'Kamemor (Rom-KDF), Empress Sela(Rom-Fed), V'alkris Morath(Fed), Kara Thrace(Fed), Jaeih Piccolo(Rom-Fed), Ellaria(KDF), Zylim Dukat(Fed)
  • Options
    remianenremianen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I really have no interest in having my allied faction species on the bridge of my warbird.

You're in luck. Cryptic apparently feels the same way. So, until they change it (around the time the first unicorn is born....in Bangladesh), you will never see a Federation bridge officer on the bridge of your warbird. Romulan bridges are fixed. There are a number of Boffs that will always have a place on the bridge (Tovan, Satra, Hiven, Veril, D'Vex) and the other spots will be filled either by the last Romulan/Reman boff of that department that you took onto a ground map (assuming it was different from the aforementioned five) or generic (i.e. 'Tactical Officer', 'Engineering Officer', 'Science Officer') ones. I spend a lot of time on my bridge (every personal reset, I check all my departments there) and I hate seeing the generics on the bridge. So I usually go to Nimbus shortly after logging in and taking the specific officers I want on the bridge down then back up, which seems to set them for that play session.

I got most of my Romulan boffs from the exchange, though I have gotten a few from recruitment missions in Tau Dewa. Besides Veril, my only Reman boff came from the exchange (someone posted a 'Superior Infiltrator' for 25k. Couldn't pass it up, even though I had already reached my personal quota of science officers). I've flipped a few (people posting superior operatives for 250-500k) but for the most part, it's either recruitment mission or (rarely nowadays) exchange.
  • Options
    beritpandionberitpandion Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Have they fixed the Rom/Rem exchange BOFFS so that you can tell the faction? Or made them faction neutral? I ran into that before where I couldn't use my BOFFs correctly because of faction namely the BOFF uniforms but still why would my BOFF be unable to wear same uni as I do if I get a reman?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Have they fixed the Rom/Rem exchange BOFFS so that you can tell the faction? Or made them faction neutral? I ran into that before where I couldn't use my BOFFs correctly because of faction namely the BOFF uniforms but still why would my BOFF be unable to wear same uni as I do if I get a reman?

Romulan Boffs are faction-set by the person who first received said Boff, even though they weren't commissioned. Seems a very, uh, "developmentally disabled" way of doing it, but that's how it works. So, if a Klink aligned Romulan receives a boff as a quest reward, that boff is forever barred from wearing 'Republic: Federation' uniforms (locked into 'Republic: Klingon' set) due to being touched by a KDFer. The same is true for the flip side (a Fed aligned boff will not be able to wear the Republic: Klingon uni).

And no, they haven't fixed it so you can tell the difference before spending EC, adding them to your crew, and then trying to change their uniform. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen either.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    adamofnod wrote: »
    UTqdgJK.jpg

You want Romulan and Reman Boffs for free? Park your butt in New Romulus Command and be patient.
    The recruitment assignments come every 2 days after completion of the previous assignment.

I disagree. It's been months since the last time I got a romulan/reman boff candidate assignment and have had both my reman and romulan parked at new romulus command for a couple weeks at least and still haven't found them. There is no specific time frame to get the assignments. It's completely random but not in our favor.

The assignments are so damned rare to find that's the reason why purple romulans and remans are expensive on the exchange, especially if they have something like a superior operative trait. It's bullcrap.

I can find federation and KDF bridge officer candidate assignments all over the game. In social zones like ESD, Qo'nos, DS9, Drozana station, and all throughout various sectors in space.

But they limited the romulan and reman boff candidate assignments to *only* tae dewa sector and new romulus command and made the assignments super rare to find. Why? I don't know but my guess is because romulan/reman boff's space traits are too OP to just go handing them out to everybody. :mad:
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I disagree. It's been months since the last time I got a romulan/reman boff candidate assignment and have had both my reman and romulan parked at new romulus command for a couple weeks at least and still haven't found them. There is no specific time frame to get the assignments. It's completely random but not in our favor.

The assignments are so damned rare to find that's the reason why purple romulans and remans are expensive on the exchange, especially if they have something like a superior operative trait. It's bullcrap.

I can find federation and KDF bridge officer candidate assignments all over the game. In social zones like ESD, Qo'nos, DS9, Drozana station, and all throughout various sectors in space.

But they limited the romulan and reman boff candidate assignments to *only* tae dewa sector and new romulus command and made the assignments super rare to find. Why? I don't know but my guess is because romulan/reman boff's space traits are too OP to just go handing them out to everybody. :mad:

The recruitment missions are what I like to call highly rare, as they only come around once it seems in a blue moon, but they do come around and you need be logged in at the right time.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited April 2014
    In my sense, BOff Recruitment assignments got less in the last months in general. And even if i'm around New Romulus with my two Romulan/Reman Toons quite often, i maybe get one Recruitment Assignment in two months.
    Similiar for Alien Recruitment. Take a look at the Exchange as well. Alien BOffs getting more and more rare. They really seem to have shortend the amount of BOff Recruitments.
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Remans seem to be overlooked more than the Romulan faction, like an after-thought. Ariennye the Reman colony isn't even accessible to us. Even if we play as a Reman.
    Wonder if the fact that they named the colony "Hell" is indicative of anything... :rolleyes:
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I disagree. It's been months since the last time I got a romulan/reman boff candidate assignment and have had both my reman and romulan parked at new romulus command for a couple weeks at least and still haven't found them.

Hyperbole doesn't get changes made.

I've gotten four of these assignments (three Romulan, one Reman) in the last two weeks. In fact, there was one up on Tuesday that I got that should be finishing soon. And that's just when I'm playing my Romulan! I have no doubt that I've missed a couple (not many though).

Yes, the missions are rare (even moreso for Remans) but saying you haven't seen one in 'months' indicates that you're either not playing very much or.....you're not being honest. Keep in mind that the devs can tell you exactly when these missions were available so saying 'it's been months...." or even "I've been parked in the zones for a couple weeks" isn't going to prove any points.
    zeratk wrote: »
    In my sense, BOff Recruitment assignments got less in the last months in general. And even if i'm around New Romulus with my two Romulan/Reman Toons quite often, i maybe get one Recruitment Assignment in two months.
    Similiar for Alien Recruitment. Take a look at the Exchange as well. Alien BOffs getting more and more rare. They really seem to have shortend the amount of BOff Recruitments.

Again, the missions are rare but not THAT rare. If you're spending your time cycling through STFs, you're probably not going to be in a position to even see the mission when it comes up. Also, if you play 2 hours a day or only on the weekend, you're not going to see these missions as often as other folks do.

Personally I think the mission is too rare. I believe the primary race that Romulans should see are Romulans with Remans as secondary and everything else (faction alignment depending) as rare. Heck, alternate Romulan and Reman if you want to make it fair. A Republic player shouldn't HAVE to "fluff" his/her roster with allied Boffs, it should be a choice. As things stand now, quality RRF boffs are so rare, you can't even run to the exchange to fill in roles because of the expense involved (not to mention the alignment/locking issue). Give people an opportunity to "earn" their blue/purple boffs rather than having to farm EC to fill slots. Not everyone has the time or inclination for farming.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    remianen wrote: »
    Hyperbole doesn't get changes made.

I've gotten four of these assignments (three Romulan, one Reman) in the last two weeks. In fact, there was one up on Tuesday that I got that should be finishing soon. And that's just when I'm playing my Romulan! I have no doubt that I've missed a couple (not many though).

Again, the missions are rare but not THAT rare. If you're spending your time cycling through STFs, you're probably not going to be in a position to even see the mission when it comes up. Also, if you play 2 hours a day or only on the weekend, you're not going to see these missions as often as other folks do.

Ok so theory, what is everyone's recruitment level? Because I have yet to see a single one of these recruit missions and I logged in every day for the two weeks mirror invasion was live, and I checked before and after running the event since available doff missions can change over time.

I am *hypothesizing* that recruit level plays a major factor in this mission showing up and how often.
  • Options
    no09dysonsphereno09dysonsphere Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Ok so theory, what is everyone's recruitment level? Because I have yet to see a single one of these recruit missions and I logged in every day for the two weeks mirror invasion was live, and I checked before and after running the event since available doff missions can change over time.

I and *hypothesizing* that recruit level plays a major factor in this mission showing up and how often.

It's not dependent on recruitment level at all. I used to farm the assignment on a few characters and I actually got more on a fresh romulan I made than my tier 4 recruitment main. The trick is to use a lot of characters, refresh every hour on the hour, and use the unbound Tal Shiar Romulan faction doffs to minimize your investment/maximize chances of a purple.
  • Options
    midntwolfmidntwolf Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have to admit I am having the same issues. For Federation or Klingon, I can buy blue quality BoFFs for under 10k a piece and sometimes even purples. Granted, they might not have all the bells and whistles but at least they often have some of the Tier III skills I want and can build around them for my different ship set ups.

Romulan on the other hand is just insanely priced. Most are over 100k and if your looking for purple quality, your looking in the millions.

Also the "Recruitment" missions only seem to allow me to acquire Klingon aligned BoFFs, never Romulan so I am stuck with trying to jimmy around I think 5 Romulan, 1 Reman crew to fit the BoFFs I need for multiple Romulan ships each with a different requirement. This can be frustrating.

What I have finally started resorting to is looking for Alien BoFFs then making the look as close to Romulan as I can.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    These missions do come around, but they are rare and need be at the right place at the right time.

I mean if I can outfit 2 toons with reman and romulan boff's without buying them, and only doff recruiting them than so can you.

• Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm going to join the group that hasn't seen a Romulan boff drop in months, and I've been making it a point to hit up Tau Dewa and the command center to look for them.

Maybe there's something bugged in some characters?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    These missions do come around, but they are rare and need be at the right place at the right time.

This is my issue though. If you are playing a romulan, then the romulan (and to a lesser extent reman) boffs should be much easier to obtain the then the allied ones. Pressently the exact opposite is the case.

A Romulan shouldn't have to grind for their own factions boffs!:mad:

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I FINALLY GOT IT! lol once this month but I finally got a romulan boff mission and I had a near perfect tac doff to assign so I have like a 45% chance of a purple
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    This is my issue though. If you are playing a romulan, then the romulan (and to a lesser extent reman) boffs should be much easier to obtain the then the allied ones. Pressently the exact opposite is the case.

A Romulan shouldn't have to grind for their own factions boffs!:mad:

They made them hard to obtain by doff mission for a reason, because they are highly sought after and pretty much better than 99% of any other race there is.