test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Option for least-populated instance by default

veovis523veovis523 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
I'd like to make a request for an option to be dropped into the least-populated instance by default when switching zones. Sometimes I just need to drop by a base to hit up the bank or exchange and don't want to have to deal with loading and rendering everyone else's polygons to do so. I don't exactly have a high-end rig, know what I'm saying?

It can't be that hard to implement. Anyone else agree?
Vice Admiral Tevek Arem
C.O. - R.R.W. Aurega, Romulan Republican Flotilla
Liaison assigned to Federation Starfleet with full rank equivalency

"By the the memory of Romulus I promise to serve the Republic and my people."
Post edited by veovis523 on

Comments

• Options
    jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Good idea.
  • Options
    watsterwatster Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i will use it if it becomes available
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,788 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would use it.
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've always assumed the game already did this by default, but seeing as this isn't the case, I'll fifth the notion!
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It does not. The game seems to preferentially favor instances with your friends and fleetmembers in them, and if none are present, it will, despite the presence of perfectly good, unpopulated instances, dump you into one crowded with useless lag-inducing people.

This is why you see instances with 80 people in them, and then at the bottom of the list, instances with 2 people in them, that the game COULD have put you in, but didn't, just to annoy you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It does not. The game seems to preferentially favor instances with your friends and fleetmembers in them, and if none are present, it will, despite the presence of perfectly good, unpopulated instances, dump you into one crowded with useless lag-inducing people.
    Yes, because this is a multiplayer game. That means its meant to be played with other people. :rolleyes:

You want to be in an empty instance, switch to it yourself.

EDIT: Automatically placing players into low-population instances would mean those instances never close, forcing the server to run a bazillion instances with 2 people in them instead of a few instances with 80, wasting server resources like nobody's business.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    warpangel wrote: »
    Yes, because this is a multiplayer game. That means its meant to be played with other people. :rolleyes:
    That would make sense if there was anything to play in the areas in question. There isn't. Ever since the random Klingon Marauders stopped being able to reach ESD and shoot up the neighborhood, there's been nothing of interest involving the other players except lag.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    veovis523 wrote: »
    I'd like to make a request for an option to be dropped into the least-populated instance by default when switching zones. Sometimes I just need to drop by a base to hit up the bank or exchange and don't want to have to deal with loading and rendering everyone else's polygons to do so. I don't exactly have a high-end rig, know what I'm saying?

It can't be that hard to implement. Anyone else agree?

Don't think they will ever do this, you will end -up with zones with only a couple people on and 100's of zones and the server don't like that.
  • Options
    seazombie64seazombie64 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    other games give you the option to always choose which instance to load when there is a choice available. I think that would be a suitable compromise, and I would completely support it.
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I agree with the OP's post. The game's instance assigning line of code needs to be adjusted. There should also be a toggle somewhere in the Options menu which would allow you to prefer a less populated instance, or an instance with friends/fleetmates.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    nobscunobscu Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    But if everyone switched to a less populated instance, wouldn't those instances become largely populated? Thinkaboutthatonegents
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]