test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will We HAVE to Use Arc?

jwilliamswku1jwilliamswku1 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
Are we eventually going to be forced to use arc, or will we be able to continue to use the launcher just as we always have been? If we are going to be forced to use it (I hope not) we might as well get the freebies while they are being offered. Has cryptic said anything either way?
Post edited by jwilliamswku1 on

Comments

• Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Eventually. There's no timetable at all for when Arc will go live, though, so there's no clue as to when it will be fully functional. It probably won't be for quite awhile.
  • Options
    johankreigjohankreig Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    as far as I am aware the launcher will be available for use on Arc or Steam, not on its own, this is becasue steam has their own offers and set ups that are linked to the game.
    Jorhana Kreig: KDF, Tal'is: Romulan Fed, Shona'a: Romulan KDF, Johan Paul Kreig: Fed
  • Options
    ijimithyijimithy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    nope you can use Steam for the moment, I think if ARC becomes the new thing Steam will just end up lauching a launcher though lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    No Drama, No Fuss, Just good old fashioned pew pew!
  • Options
    jwilliamswku1jwilliamswku1 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thing is I don't want to really use steam either. I just want to click the star trek online icon on my desktop and play, just like any other of my other mmo's.
  • Options
    gerudongerudon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Pulling the game from the biggest PC-gaming platform would be a royaly idiotic move by cryptic or Perfectworld. So i doubt, they will do that just to get their own Launchersoftware on more PCs.
  • Options
    thyrnecristhyrnecris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Keep in mind that even when using Steam, you can end up with Steam launching Arc (handing the Login credentials to Arc), which then launches the game (handing the Login credentials to the Client). And if they are truly qualified, ARC starts the gamespecific Launcher, which then hands the login credentials to the actual game.
    Something like this is up with Farcry 3:Blood Dragon, where Steams starts the Ubisoft Launcher, which then patches the game and launches it.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    u can put a steam shorcut on your desktop, I do this, so I just click on it, and it runs it through steam (I leave steam running on my pc)
    Jorhana Kreig: KDF, Tal'is: Romulan Fed, Shona'a: Romulan KDF, Johan Paul Kreig: Fed
  • Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    thyrnecris wrote: »
    Keep in mind that even when using Steam, you can end up with Steam launching Arc (handing the Login credentials to Arc), which then launches the game (handing the Login credentials to the Client). And if they are truly qualified, ARC starts the gamespecific Launcher, which then hands the login credentials to the actual game.
    Something like this is up with Farcry 3:Blood Dragon, where Steams starts the Ubisoft Launcher, which then patches the game and launches it.

Steam launches the normal non arc launcher for me.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    arc runs in the same way as steam, the only difference between the old solo launcher method, the steam one and the arc one, is the route its launched through, they all launch the same program.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    zipagat wrote: »
    Steam launches the normal non arc launcher for me.

For now, that is. If they integrate ARC as much as they seem to want it, it might end up in a way that ARC replaces the 'normal' Launcher (which is currently launched by both Steam and ARC), so Steam would launch Arc, which would launch the game.
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    We don't know all the ins and outs yet. We all expect arc to be mandatory at some point. Whether you'll be able to launch with the .exe code inside of arc once it's done isn't known yet, becasue it's still in beta testing.

As for them leaving steam, i guess that would depend on what their data shows from being with steam and whether it's worth whatever financial agreement the 2 companies have.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thing is I don't want to really use steam either. I just want to click the star trek online icon on my desktop and play, just like any other of my other mmo's.

Well, you can bank on the "STO Launcher" eventually going away. They've already said as much. The current plan is that someday in the future, you will play using ARC or Steam- or you won't play. Period. End of discussion.

(And I'd personally bet there's someone behind the scenes tasked with figuring out how to get around the issues that keep them from dumping Steam so they can make it "ARC, or don't let the door hit you in the TRIBBLE on the way out.")
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Well, you can bank on the "STO Launcher" eventually going away. They've already said as much. The current plan is that someday in the future, you will play using ARC or Steam- or you won't play. Period. End of discussion.

(And I'd personally bet there's someone behind the scenes tasked with figuring out how to get around the issues that keep them from dumping Steam so they can make it "ARC, or don't let the door hit you in the TRIBBLE on the way out.")

As I stated earlier: Remove the current gamespecific Launcher, instead, ARC itself sends the Login and Server choice to the client, and ARC does the patching. And then, push a Patch to Steam that, instead of launching the current No-ARC-Launcher, launches ARC. Like Ubisoft is doing it with the titles they have on Steam.
  • Options
    bansheedragonbansheedragon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Steam, Arc, Origin, Uplay, what will be next?
    I have never understood why we these companies need us to use their 3rd party TRIBBLE just to play a game.

In the old days we would have an icnon on our desktop that launched the game directly with no need for all this 3rd party TRIBBLE.

If we absolutely must have such a 3rd party platform, why must every single damned company absolutley have their own launcher, why not just have 1 common one?
    Each of these 3rd perty launchers will require space on my HD, while its not much for each individual one, it will quickly add up to allot if I need to install one for every damned game I wanna play.

At the current point in time I can use the STO launcher wihtout the need to install this 3rd party TRIBBLE, but if ARC becomes mandatory I'll stop playing.
    I have enough with steam and theese applications does in my opinon not add anything useful, just another stupid application to hog resources and potentially reduce performance, when playing a game.
  • Options
    gerudongerudon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have never understood why we these companies need us to use their 3rd party TRIBBLE just to play a game.

In the old days we would have an icnon on our desktop that launched the game directly with no need for all this 3rd party TRIBBLE.

If we absolutely must have such a 3rd party platform, why must every single damned company absolutley have their own launcher, why not just have 1 common one?

The companies want to control and research what you play and when you play. Collecting as much user data as possible is one of the key aspects here. Then they also bind you to it, disabling you from selling the game on or alter it without their permission and they can of course bombard you with ads the moment, you start the client. :)

But all of this only works, if they have their own software and aren't depending on Steam anymore, because Steam is expensive (around 30% of the revenue)

Oh, BTW: In the old days there wasn't even a desktop, there was the DOS command line. :D
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    johankreig wrote: »
    arc runs in the same way as steam, the only difference between the old solo launcher method, the steam one and the arc one, is the route its launched through, they all launch the same program.

Ages ago since steam never ruined any game. Thats your personal opinion or maybe your pc is so messed up that it doesnt matter what front end you will use. Arc will be glitchy, resource eater and a lot of things, but it will evolve. Same as steam did. Live with it guys. You keep trying to stop arc of being out, but that wont happen, so you should just try to get used to it. Its a terrible decision, yes (because steam is already there) but, it doesnt matter, they will do it anyways.

I wish we could just do it the way we did until now, just running the exe file and thats it (the way i do it). No front end, no launchers, nothing. But im afriad we will be forced to execute the launcher anyways when arc comes out.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,391 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Official word is that Steam support will continue - they appear to have a business partnership of sorts with Cryptic. PWE would, of course, prefer that you use Arc, in the hopes of getting their other offerings in front of your eyes (because obviously Star Trek fans are the ideal audience for Jade Empire or Perfect World, right?), but you will be able to use Steam into the indefinite future, even after the standalone launcher has gone the way of the dodo and the paid-for game.

(Someone said something above about these overlays being intended to keep you from selling the game. How exactly does one "sell" one's F2P game? "Here, I've got a copy of STO you can have for ten bucks. Whaddaya mean, you're going to just download it for free?")
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Live with it guys. You keep trying to stop arc of being out, but that wont happen, so you should just try to get used to it. Its a terrible decision, yes (because steam is already there) but, it doesnt matter, they will do it anyways.

No. Rage! Rage against the dying of the light! Resistance is NOT futile... even when, in the end, they force Arc upon us regardless: at least you'll know it wasn't because *you* sat back and decided nothing could be done anyway.

And then you'll maybe start to realize that it's precisely your own complacency which is the reason why big companies always get away with everything.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    No. Rage! Rage against the dying of the light! Resistance is NOT futile... even when, in the end, they force Arc upon us regardless: at least you'll know it wasn't because *you* sat back and decided nothing could be done anyway.

And then you'll maybe start to realize that it's precisely your own complacency which is the reason why big companies always get away with everything.

I could say the same about you, with your complacency about not fixing bugs, for example. Bugs arent fixed because nobody cares.

Is not that lol. But you should realize that NOBODY from arc, cryptic, pwe or NASA will ever see this post and take considerations from it lol. If you guys want things to change, dont waste time here, do it using other ways.. seriously..
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I could say the same about you, with your complacency about not fixing bugs, for example...

My complacency about wha?! LOL. I can count the number of posts I made about them %(*&^%$%^ not fixing bugs, if I could count the stars in the heavens! :eek:

In fact, there are several bugs I keep bringing up, every time they post a maintenance thread (Embassy boffs missing body parts, anyone?). Not because I think they care, but because *I* care.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    thyrnecris wrote: »

*kicks thyrnecris under the table for giving PWE ideas*
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I could say the same about you, with your complacency about not fixing bugs, for example. Bugs arent fixed because nobody cares.

Is not that lol. But you should realize that NOBODY from arc, cryptic, pwe or NASA will ever see this post and take considerations from it lol. If you guys want things to change, dont waste time here, do it using other ways.. seriously..

How dare you use Logic on the Forums :D

Yeah this is an Era in Video gaming where people throw hundreds of dollars at Alphas, or see concept art, and ideas as facts, and think well this is going to be the greatest thing ever even though it's not even real yet, just ideas in a Dev's head.

There use to be a time where Alphas and Betas where free, now you can buy games that are not even close to finished and cost 3x the amount of a finished game.

If a company is making money of stuff, why would they stop, I mean if someone gave me money to spit in their food, why would I stop???:confused:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Actually, I think you're dead wrong on this. In fact, I think Arc would have long since been mandatory, if it hadn't seen such a backlash that is has.

And you can bet no marketing decision like this is ever taken without them carefully monitoring and weighing any negative effects making Arc mandatory might have.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    *kicks thyrnecris under the table for giving PWE ideas*
    Well, I hate to say it but my best guess is that they ARE planning to make the extant launcher simply a function of Arc. As-is it's redundant, and removing that layer of redundancy would likely greatly reduce the amount of resources used when playing.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Each of these 3rd perty launchers will require space on my HD, while its not much for each individual one, it will quickly add up to allot if I need to install one for every damned game I wanna play.

At the current point in time I can use the STO launcher wihtout the need to install this 3rd party TRIBBLE, but if ARC becomes mandatory I'll stop playing.
    I have enough with steam and theese applications does in my opinon not add anything useful, just another stupid application to hog resources and potentially reduce performance, when playing a game.

Its down to they either want to replicate the massive success that Steam has had in the last 10 years in PC gaming. Or they want to cut them out of the loop so they don't have to pay Valve 30% of their sales revenue.
  • Options
    bansheedragonbansheedragon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    zipagat wrote: »
    Its down to they either want to replicate the massive success that Steam has had in the last 10 years in PC gaming. Or they want to cut them out of the loop so they don't have to pay Valve 30% of their sales revenue.

It would take them a long time to replicate Steams success, if they can even do it.
    And right now it seems that ARC is limited only to PWE (online?) games.

If its a matter of just cutting out steam, they would not need ARC in the first place, they could do fine without it and just having a launcher for the individual games.

Right now it looks to me like its more down to them wanting to do it EA style, they want their own online DRM mumbo jumbo that are exclusive for their games only.

Personally I despise being forced to use 3rd party applications just to play my games.
    I tolerate Steam, but only barely, because it does have some practical applications such as a games library as well as download and practical update services.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    It would take them a long time to replicate Steams success, if they can even do it.
    And right now it seems that ARC is limited only to PWE (online?) games.

Yep. And being PWE-only pretty much invokes the "if they can even do it" clause above- because they can't.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Actually... Arc has a function that lets it act as a launcher for non-PWE games... never tried it though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Actually... Arc has a function that lets it act as a launcher for non-PWE games... never tried it though.

Steam does too, but I'm fairly certain being able to point it to installed non-Steam games on your hard drive doesn't enable it to patch them, download new non-Steam games, and so on. That's what I was getting at- based on total games available and nothing else, ARC won't be much competition to Steam.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Steam does too, but I'm fairly certain being able to point it to installed non-Steam games on your hard drive doesn't enable it to patch them, download new non-Steam games, and so on. That's what I was getting at- based on total games available and nothing else, ARC won't be much competition to Steam.
    That assumes direct competition. But not everyone uses Steam. People who do are one thing, but I suspect they're in the minority.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
This discussion has been closed.