test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reputation Traits

samt296samt296 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Reputation System
THANK YOU CRYPTIC!!!

As one of the people that just can't stand REP grinding and as such has only completed one reputation, I sincerely appreciate what cryptic has done in only allowing 4 traits for ground and space. The fact that you can switch them out anytime your not in combat just puts the cherry on top!

And please don't listen to those b*tching old farts in that other thread... All of us who can actually see past our own noses realize tis is a wonderful and necessary change to preserve the balance of this game! ALL of my beefs with the Reputation system have now been solved.

And if your here to b*tch please go away this thread is for appreciative people. And keep in mind that the potency of all the REP passives have been drastically increased and many even doubled so your not losing any power you just have to be more specific with your builds!

I personally am really looking forward to having 5% more CRIT chance and craploads more damage boosts! And having access to ALL of the passives without paying for respec tokens... :D
"When people ask stupid questions I feel obligated to give sarcastic answers."

Keltoi Class... fan design. You KNOW you want one In-game!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by samt296 on

Comments

• nakedcrooknakedcrook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You have one toon that has completed one reputation.

I have 11 toons that have completed all reputations.

I have every right to be a b*tching old TRIBBLE. I have invested more time and effort and I deserve to keep what I have earned. I have paid my dues...you jst want a free ride and an easier time. I am being pjnished for my hard work and dedication. You are bring rewarded for being new.

I am allowed to b*tch...I have every right to b*tch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you oppose the Reputation nerf, feel free to use my signature
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    nakedcrook wrote: »
    You have one toon that has completed one reputation.

I have 11 toons that have completed all reputations.

I have every right to be a b*tching old TRIBBLE. I have invested more time and effort and I deserve to keep what I have earned. I have paid my dues...you jst want a free ride and an easier time. I am being pjnished for my hard work and dedication. You are bring rewarded for being new.

I am allowed to b*tch...I have every right to b*tch.

Yeah no kidding right, oh 12 passives that OP can have active, but only has 9 to use due to only 1 rep completed you go you.

Hope you like all your 9 single rep traits. :eek:
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• trwarbucktrwarbuck Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Who's fault is it that you haven't completed the other 3....Could it be yours. So if you haven't experience the benefits from having completed the other 3 Reputations, then you can't make this comment. Because you are stating only from stupidity.
    And I'm a trollin.
  • samt296samt296 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yeah no kidding right, oh 12 passives that OP can have active, but only has 9 to use due to only 1 rep completed you go you.

Hope you like all your 9 single rep traits. :eek:

Unless im misunderstanding you are basically saying that I have very few choices where he and others have many choices... Your right!

Keep in mind you can switch out the traits anytime your out of combat AND most of the passives have DOUBLED in effectiveness. What more do you want!?! All you're losing is the ability to cover all the bases, now you have to create specific builds and since you can switch them out anytime you want.... problem solved.

Did I mention you get FREE access to ALL of the passives? Instead of buying respec tokens?

Jesus Christ people.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    trwarbuck wrote: »
    Who's fault is it that you haven't completed the other 3....Could it be yours. So if you haven't experience the benefits from having completed the other 3 Reputations, then you can't make this comment. Because you are stating only from stupidity.
    And I'm a trollin.

#biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch! ***** ***** biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch! ***** *****!

#meet your future husband - http://ross71521.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/cheese-grater.jpg

P.S. I should NOT have to grind my TRIBBLE off before I can even begin to play the game "normally."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    samt296 wrote: »
    #biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch! ***** ***** biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch! ***** *****!

#meet your future husband - http://ross71521.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/cheese-grater.jpg

P.S. I should NOT have to grind my TRIBBLE off before I can even begin to play the game "normally."

Don't like grinds, don't play MMORPG's or make 4-20 toons.

• plb1982plb1982 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I can see your point if you're talking about PVP, but for PVE, I fail to see how it's a good thing. So the people that grind more than you are a little faster at killing the Borg? Big freakin' deal. They also have better gear, BOffs, DOffs, etc. So just make the traits be PVE only or have a separate PVP trait list.

That's part of the appeal of an MMO... you can continue to power your character as a reward for the grind.

"P.S. I should NOT have to grind my TRIBBLE off before I can even begin to play the game "normally."

One thing STO does better than just about any MMO I've ever played is the balance between being able to play endgame content without grinding heavily vs being able to really tear up the content when fully geared. When I hit 50 with a new toon, I jump into STFs with a couple hundred thousand ECs worth of green gear and do just fine, so I'm not really sure what you're talking about. When I swap to my toon that has every rep filled and all fleet weapons, I destroy the enemy. That's okay. It's way less frustrating than games that are impossible unless you have a certain gear score.

Overall, this is a terrible change (again with possible exception to PVP balance). Cryptic continues to make the game less fun. At the same time, they are making the game overall more "grindy," yet reducing the rewards for the grind.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    plb1982 wrote: »
    I can see your point if you're talking about PVP, but for PVE, I fail to see how it's a good thing.

Probably has to do with the blog from two blogs ago. Where they went into the math of how they're making each grind easier. Add that to the fact that they're improving each passive significantly. And now we're looking at a tradeoff.

You sacrifice some passives to gain stronger passives and an easier rep grind.

So starting with the next grind, the Undine and all future grinds, when they put in something new that looks like it will be far better than that passive I currently have ... not only will it be easier to go get that, but I'll probably get some cool end-game items much quicker along the way too.

I'm looking at what the next 6 months bring. Not what I did in the game 6 months ago.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Love the change!

Love all the whine as well :D
    edited March 2014
    Probably has to do with the blog from two blogs ago. Where they went into the math of how they're making each grind easier. Add that to the fact that they're improving each passive significantly. And now we're looking at a tradeoff.

You sacrifice some passives to gain stronger passives and an easier rep grind.

So starting with the next grind, the Undine and all future grinds, when they put in something new that looks like it will be far better than that passive I currently have ... not only will it be easier to go get that, but I'll probably get some cool end-game items much quicker along the way too.

I'm looking at what the next 6 months bring. Not what I did in the game 6 months ago.

Doubling the most destructive of rep traits while eliminating, or nerfing the others all while forcing you to have to chose only half of them to be active, isn't what I call a fair tradeoff by any means.

It is a clear shift into limiting player power advancement, clear and simple like throwing a skill cap of 50 on a game that has 100 levels worth of skills.

edited March 2014
    Doubling the most destructive of rep traits while eliminating, or nerfing the others all while forcing you to have to chose only half of them to be active, isn't what I call a fair tradeoff by any means.

It is a clear shift into limiting player power advancement, clear and simple like throwing a skill cap of 50 on a game that has 100 levels worth of skills.

Actually it smore like putting a LVL 100 cap on a game with 50 levels... :rolleyes:

#powercreep

Imagine how overpowered it would be when we have 15 REP's? This prevents that entirely...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    Actually it smore like putting a LVL 100 cap on a game with 50 levels... :rolleyes:

#powercreep

Imagine how overpowered it would be when we have 15 REP's? This prevents that entirely...

Reps with limits is like grind with no reward, and again a 50 cap on 100 possible is correct.

• uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I like the proposed change. The old way was a good idea back when there were few reps but there's to be a fifth soon and it's going to make the power creep problem worse.

One thing I would like though is two presets so we can easily change from a space to a ground setup. It will quickly become annoying to change your rep traits every time you go from space to ground and vice versa.
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Love the change!

Love all the whine as well :D
    The complaints are understandable. Cryptic is taking away some people's toys, so they will complain about it.

They are, in my opinion, replacing it with a more interesting system though.
    edited March 2014
    I like the proposed change. The old way was a good idea back when there were few reps but there's to be a fifth soon and it's going to make the power creep problem worse.

One thing I would like though is two presets so we can easily change from a space to a ground setup. It will quickly become annoying to change your rep traits every time you go from space to ground and vice versa.

Again not like ever increasing ships, consoles, fleet gear, rep gear, lockbox traits, doff's, etc.. doesn't ultimately effect power creep innnn any way just rep passives right? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Again not like ever increasing ships, consoles, fleet gear, rep gear, lockbox traits, doff's, etc.. doesn't ultimately effect power creep innnn any way just rep passives right? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's bad too but imagine the uproar if they went back and changed ship, console and gear stats? Changing the rep trait system now to accommodate the future is a good move.

Like I said the only thing I want in addition to it is separate space and ground presets to alleviate the annoyance that would come from only having one and having to change traits every time you go from a space STF to the voth battlezone (for example).
    edited March 2014

Weird, cause that's exactly what a tradeoff is. Your trading a restriction now for flexibility in how you maximize your build in the future.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014

One dev blog and change at a time. They'll be getting to that other stuff.

It's weird. In that whole response thread to this particular change, it's like no one remembered the previous blogs. Like the one where they detailed how the grind was going to get easier.

So right here you're forgetting the dev posts about how they're already internally testing changes to BOFF powers and are looking into ideas to curtail powercreep.

So wait for an appropriate future dev blog where they start talking about changes made to the console system.

And as far as fleet gear goes? There's already data mined "rumors" of Mk XIII and XIV gear. Fleet gear's gonna get dealt with eventually too.

These are all little trees. But trust me, they're part of a big forest.

The nerfing has only just begun!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Except for the Rotating Weapons Frequency, all the other traits are getting a boost in power, they're not getting "nerfed" at all...
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • teluasteluas Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've been playing MMOs long enough to understand exactly why they're doing this, and I also believe that its a good solid idea that will work very well.

However...

I also feel like they're using a sledgehammer to pound down a thumbtack. 4/4/4 just doesn't feel right. Even having read the buffs they're giving to some of the powers, it feels like we're not only getting nerfed, but that some of the fun is being taken out of the reputations. IMO, a limit of 6/6/4 or 7/7/5 would be better. Yeah, we still lose 1-2 of the passives we have now in exchange for the ability to change out, but its not nearly as big a loss. And at 6/6/4 or 7/7/5, the "buffs" to the traits could be toned back some.

Just my 2 ec...
    edited March 2014
    Except for the Rotating Weapons Frequency, all the other traits are getting a boost in power, they're not getting "nerfed" at all...

How is doubling everything only for the exact counter being doubled, all while limiting you to no more than 12 traits not a nerf?

Hmm more shield pen, countered by more hull healing or personal healing, more critd and crith, countered by more resistances and shield healing and shield resistances looks pretty counter productive to me in some fashion or another.

And yes the almighty death to rotating weapons frequency.

edited March 2014
    teluas wrote: »
    I've been playing MMOs long enough to understand exactly why they're doing this, and I also believe that its a good solid idea that will work very well.

However...

I also feel like they're using a sledgehammer to pound down a thumbtack. 4/4/4 just doesn't feel right. Even having read the buffs they're giving to some of the powers, it feels like we're not only getting nerfed, but that some of the fun is being taken out of the reputations. IMO, a limit of 6/6/4 or 7/7/5 would be better. Yeah, we still lose 1-2 of the passives we have now in exchange for the ability to change out, but its not nearly as big a loss. And at 6/6/4 or 7/7/5, the "buffs" to the traits could be toned back some.

Just my 2 ec...

Try 8 without the new undine rep soon to be added for an additional 5m, totaling a loss of 13 active traits with the current applied system.

How did I get this math?

Currently 4 reps with 5 actives each=20 total actives
    new system to use no greater than 12
    new undine rep adding 9 more rep traits, 5 of which if current system stayed put would add 5 more actives to the already 20=25-12=13 that will not be active at any given moment!!!

• teluasteluas Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Try 8 without the new undine rep soon to be added for an additional 5m, totaling a loss of 13 active traits with the current applied system.

How did I get this math?

new undine rep adding 9 more rep traits, 5 of which if current system stayed put would add 5 more actives to the already 20=25-12=13 that will not be active at any given moment!!!

Let's revisit that, shall we?

Currently 4 reps with 4 running passives each (2 space, 2 ground) and 1 active.
    Total running space passives = 8
    Total running ground passives = 8
    Total running passives = 16
    Total actives = 4 (2 space, 2 ground)

THe number of choices available is irrelevant, as I was specifically referring to running abilities rather than the available choices. With my suggestion of 6/6/4 or 7/7/5, the number of RUNNING abilities (passive moreso than active) is closer to what it is now, but still hard-capped. They can still add reputations until the end of time and keep the 6/6/4 or 7/7/5, it will still be better than 4/4/4.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post
    edited March 2014

How did I get this math?

That's actually 6 more choices you get to make when optimizing a build... Think about it like skill points, you get certain ones depending on your career and ship. The difference is you can re-skill anytime you want to!

As for my opinion of all your posts on this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARUcA94QP18

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    teluas wrote: »
    Let's revisit that, shall we?

Currently 4 reps with 4 running passives each (2 space, 2 ground) and 1 active.
    Total running space passives = 8
    Total running ground passives = 8
    Total running passives = 16
    Total actives = 4 (2 space, 2 ground)

THe number of choices available is irrelevant, as I was specifically referring to running abilities rather than the available choices. With my suggestion of 6/6/4 or 7/7/5, the number of RUNNING abilities (passive moreso than active) is closer to what it is now, but still hard-capped. They can still add reputations until the end of time and keep the 6/6/4 or 7/7/5, it will still be better than 4/4/4.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post

No sorry is needed you made your point clearer, but either way they intend to hard cap us in a bad way!

edited March 2014
    That's actually 6 more choices you get to make when optimizing a build... Think about it like skill points, you get certain ones depending on your career and ship. The difference is you can re-skill anytime you want to!

As for my opinion of all your posts on this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARUcA94QP18

6 more choices how do you figure?

And as for the video I will take it as a compliment considering I like walter.

edited March 2014
    No sorry is needed you made your point clearer, but either way they intend to hard cap us in a bad way!

Its not bad when it preserves balance and gives more variety to building ships!

I'm done trying to argue with you... You sound more entitled and b*tchy than a KDF player who does PVP!

Go give your head a frickin' shake! Of course to do that you will first need to remove it from your TRIBBLE. :rolleyes: :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    6 more choices how do you figure?

And as for the video I will take it as a compliment considering I like walter.

Actually 8... 4 ground and 4 space...

4 tiers X 2 = 8

More choices for optimizing your builds in both ground and space.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    And yes the almighty death to rotating weapons frequency.

Hawk already said they're going to look into that. So that might stick around. But even if it doesn't, the gear sets from that rep all have frequency remod ability on it. So I don't see much of an issue here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    Actually 8... 4 ground and 4 space...

4 tiers X 2 = 8

More choices for optimizing your builds in both ground and space.

Even worse, so now not including the undine rep they narrowed it down to 32 total, while only 12 can be active, than throw in 8 more for the undine rep making 40-12=28 that cannot be active at any given moment.