test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The USS Kelvin

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hey Star Trek online fans! i really really liked the U.S.S Kelvin ship and i was wondering if we could get it in the C store! Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    The Kelvin is part of the movie franchise which is controlled by Paramount, not CBS. Cryptic's license doesn't carry over to the movie so it would be extremely unlikely to see this happen: Cryptic would have to license the ST 09 material from Paramount.
    edited November 2010
    True. Though it is canonically part of the Prime Universe (the design quite obviously existed before the Narada appeared), it was technically developed for the movie, so licensing falls to Paramount.

Really a shame, I like this ship too.
    edited November 2010
    Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between CBS and Paramount? I thought CBS owned Paramount/Star Trek now?
    edited November 2010
    I like it too, wouldnt mind seeing it in game.
    edited November 2010
    yeah i wanted it because of its single look and thats the best part of thr movie
    edited November 2010
    wrote:
    Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between CBS and Paramount? I thought CBS owned Paramount/Star Trek now?
    Viacom originally owned CBS and Paramount. The company split into CBS and Viacom, Paramount going to Viacom. Both companies are majority-owned and controlled by National Amusements. CBS hold the rights to all the television series and Paramount hold the rights to the 11 movies. Cryptic's license, granted to Perpetual, was with CBS for the series information. CBS can ask Paramount for permission to use anything from the first 10 ST movies but they don't have access to anything from the last ST movie due to the way that contract was set up. In simplest terms Abrams wants to make sure he's financially compensated for his retro-design of ST by anyone using his designs.
    edited November 2010
    Alexraptor wrote: »

you know your right but I bet its some politics TRIBBLE between companys. I would love to see every ship in star trek personally for every faction:D
    edited November 2010
    All the new movies stuff is off limits. I would love to see the Enterpize from that moive in game
    edited November 2010
    Sleeves wrote:
    All the new movies stuff is off limits. I would love to see the Enterpize from that moive in game

Although anything from the first 10 movies if fair game, if not we wouldn't even have the Sovereign Class
    edited November 2010
    Tyron_Jara wrote:
    you know your right but I bet its some politics TRIBBLE between companys. I would love to see every ship in star trek personally for every faction:D

More likely something to do with the FCC, and something along the lines of anti-monopoly laws.

The FCC really screwed things with the Sirius/XM merger, which lasted over a year and a half.

Oil companies, meanwhile, can merge in a third of that time.
    edited November 2010
    The latest movie was a piece of ****! Shame about the kelvin through.
    edited November 2010
    I can forgive them letting go of the Kelvin from this game because there is already a Star Trek vessel that should be in game that could easily pass for a refit model. TMP era as well

The Apollo Class scout has two nacelles BUT in the same design set up as the Kelvin! It's in Starfleet Command: Orion Pirates and Legacy I think?
    edited November 2010
    Ships from other games are off Limtis too.
    edited November 2010
    Cosmic_One wrote: »
    The Kelvin is part of the movie franchise which is controlled by Paramount, not CBS. Cryptic's license doesn't carry over to the movie so it would be extremely unlikely to see this happen: Cryptic would have to license the ST 09 material from Paramount.

Oh ok then.

Yo Paramount! Throw Cryptic a bone here, huh?
    edited November 2010
    Cosmic_One wrote: »
    Viacom originally owned CBS and Paramount. The company split into CBS and Viacom, Paramount going to Viacom. Both companies are majority-owned and controlled by National Amusements. CBS hold the rights to all the television series and Paramount hold the rights to the 11 movies. Cryptic's license, granted to Perpetual, was with CBS for the series information. CBS can ask Paramount for permission to use anything from the first 10 ST movies but they don't have access to anything from the last ST movie due to the way that contract was set up. In simplest terms Abrams wants to make sure he's financially compensated for his retro-design of ST by anyone using his designs.

Then please explain why Paramount's logo and Paramount DVD appears on and in the DVD box sets for the series. :confused:

As for the Kelvin, I think that violates Gene Roddenberry's formula for Starships, something about nacelles being in pairs. However, that has been violated numerous times. My recommendation is that it should be a Tier 1 Ship. I would propose science ship, but weaker than the Oberth.
    edited November 2010
    NeilCell wrote: »
    Then please explain why Paramount's logo and Paramount DVD appears on and in the DVD box sets for the series. :confused:
    It stems from the agreement made between CBS and Paramount at the time of the split:

"The original Star Trek series began production under Desilu Productions. With the merger of Desilu into Paramount Pictures, that studio assumed outright ownership of the Star Trek franchise until 2006, after which CBS took ownership of the franchise, though certain aspects (feature film and DVD distribution rights) are still owned by Paramount."
  • universaeuniversae Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    And it looks far better as a science ship for tier 1 than that pathetic excuse for a ship the already have.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's dead, Jim. ;)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hey hey now!

BAD ZOMBIE BAD GO BACK TO THE GROUND!

Seriously folks, if a thread hasn't been responded to in 30 days please don't bring it back up :( If you feel you need to continue the thread by all means make a new one! :)

/Closed ~Askray
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

This discussion has been closed.