test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Talking about pvp ova hurr

realminirealmini Member Posts: 243 Arc User
edited March 2014 in PvP Gameplay
Talking about pvp, in terms of my preferred activity list in descending order of how awesome it is/much time i spend there. Theres a few different ways to get a fix, all involve feds dying in fireballs.

>>Kerrat: Really can't say enough about the best zone in the game. While it may have its downsides periodic camps and perpetual interruptions via reset, no other zone offers a static enduring pvp experience. It can start quiet, one small skirmish resulting in epic gankfests, fedball pwnage, and plenty of noobs asking wtf happened. Whether 10v1 or 1 v10, the wide array of possible encounters in kerrat is unmatched in sto pvp. Not just for farmers, long time pvp veterans often go there to engage hardened enemies worthy of coordinated and patient attacks.
The sad thing being this is the only zone which even resembles open pvp in sto
Kerrat owns, and i likely spent way over 50% of time in game there, waiting and watching for the next pwn moment.

>>Organized 10v10 "Big PVPS"
Over the years the next best thing to kerrat has been the (lag filled) clusterfudge that is 10 v 10 big pvp games hosted by yours truly. From my perspective, few games offer a greater selection of ripe targets, often not paying attention/lagging out. Whether i spam my friends list and invite everyone randomly, people join from the organizedpvp or tyler durden channel, there is no trouble getting a mega match going on (altho i havent been all up on about this too much lately). Props to gorn/jpf for also beign a long time big pvp supporter. 10v10 ftw!

if u could have ten man team ui and less lag, 10v10 pvp arena would be more popular, as of now its a fun nonstandard to occasionally make happen.

>>1v1 Challenge
Theres a growing number of individuals who really appreciate duels. Fostered easily through the organizedpvp chat channel, i often accept duels with randoms all the time. A refreshing match with "noobs" who bring whatever they can muster is a grand old time. A GG for all and a proton instavape for the unfortunate. From old time legends like yak to the total random noob, matching ships in the age old endeavor of mano e mano is a particular favorite of the fine few. Not for everyone, but im sure theres someone on right now, willing to x up for a "duel anyone"

>> Pugstomp time
Im the one stomped, and i like it. Qing alone in fvk pvp often i find people i know anyone, and we wtfpwnzor random afkers/ quitter feds. But every great while I find a great game, either a premade or an outright mismatch 5v3, managing to get your own personal victory knowing the odds: priceless. Getting kills no matter what the enemy team does or consists of>> golden apex of true skill pwn players. (see santa claws win 5v1 s etc) Its liek a box of choclates. Its pretty much always gonna be some form of chocolate in there. The fact that this game mode can only be tolerated so much is softened by the reality that fvk matches rarely pop, and if they do, theyre most likely fed side premades or filled with lopsided fed heavy teams>> my forte.

>> Tournaments (quasi pug)
I used to host some surprise attack tournaments, there have been a few pug centric tournaments, and most non pug centered tournaments genrally have some pug teams anyway. The last minute teams assembled with nary a chance to go the stretch, are fun to be a part of. Glad to have been able to participate in some recent and long past tournys that allowed late joining randoms to fill in/ form teams. hudos again to dkfrontiers!

>> The elusive premade
I cant speak for anyone else but the vast majority of my pvp time in game has not been part of a handcrafted team who coordinated their specs and skillsets. Usually that resulted in someone else telling me i needed to do x y z different. (stop splode urself so much, use a heal ffs) So i avoid these generally, atho the very few handful of great games i have had playing over the years with Lore, Critz, and now HOBO fleets were awesome indeed. A completely different game is to be had using teamspeak, coordination, and with even a meager familiarity with your team mates> let alone years of practice and precision timing. While great and generally longed after and sought by all, the pinnacle sto premade vs premade exhibition of skills/gear really just doesnt happen all that much. I blame myself, for not carign enough. Instead of asking people to form a premade and troll the ques/ try to find an enemy premade (difficult proposition) I end up in kerrat or 1v1. To each his own!

Thats talking about pvp from minmax bias. Whats makes u pvp! dont say lolground
Post edited by realmini on

Comments

• Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I really wish GW, Pets, and FAW spam werent everywhere then I might try those 10v10. Too much lag now for big pvp outside of C&H where its more spread out.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    TBH, all the whining in the Mirror Invasion zone chat is almost as entertaining as the Ker'rat zone chat. If only the NPCs mocked the players for being such noobs, well - then I'd campaign for having Mirror chat available anywhere like I did for Ker'rat chat being available...
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    In a sense, I'm glad you brought up Open PvP and Ker'rat - cause it should serve as a lesson why it wouldn't work in this game and why it's so difficult in most games.
  • Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    TBH, all the whining in the Mirror Invasion zone chat is almost as entertaining as the Ker'rat zone chat. If only the NPCs mocked the players for being such noobs, well - then I'd campaign for having Mirror chat available anywhere like I did for Ker'rat chat being available...

I still support this. Ker'rat Zone Chat has been, is now, and will always be, priceless. Ranging from the low level PvP in those lowbie zones all the way up to Ker'rat's 5, 7, and 8 (the level 50 zones), it's never a disappointment.

And the MUI chat? I couldn't play for a good 5 minutes, I was laughing so hard.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    jaegernljaegernl Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ker'rat.

There's so much beauty in there. The Ker'rat chat should be available in every zone in the game. It can be all quiet and civil. Suddenly someone ganks an angry person, and voila: Flamewar. Personally, I love the random hateful /tells followed by a /ignore, so you never get to respond.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Devotion Paladin
  • Options
    ehrlehnehrlehn Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ker'rat. I spend...70% of my time there, at least. The pve stuff has me pretty burned out, i haven't touched the new Mirror event, and probably wont, heck, i dont even have the desire to run the few stf's i still need to upgrade my borg set from X to XII. I would rather spend my time in ker'rat. I dont queue for pvp, likely wont ever do so having my only toon as an eng. So yeah, I dont care that i get the occasional successful vape performed on my precious pixels, its still, for me, the only place in game that is mostly enjoyable. Over all though, i dont much care anymore. Im buying into SC this weekend.

Derrick - Fed Eng
  • Options
    playhard88playhard88 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kerrat is in the bottom of my list, i got bored 90% of the times, and hardly can find a decent challenge there. I like team-oriented games, kerrat is ego-based zone with 0 to non teamwork, where 80% are vaper and 20% are feedback pulse builds, kinda stupid. I only go there for practice a bit with the vaper while i wait qeuques to popup, or for ruin mini's life with my bug ^^

The No-BS #3 and #4 were by far the best in sto pvp imo, i never had more fun that in those tournaments.

The big 10vs10 pvps are fun, i played a couple of them and really enjoy them.
    John Sheridan@playhard88 - FED Tactical
    Vin Naftero@playhard88 - FED Sciencie
    K'tan@playhard88 - KDF Tactical
    Argento@playhard88 - RRF Tactical (FED)
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Kerrat was fun, but now it's just feds farming or KDF hunting and maybe 1 or 2 kdf if any. If I go with my feds there's no one to shoot, and if I go with my KDFs I'm all alone against an instance full of feds. I miss being able to switch sides. I also wish they would raise the instance cap from 15 to 20.

I wouldn't mind an open pvp area with no objectives, just terrain and random siding with a safe zone at each spawn point. Other than that, no rules, just quick and dirty pvp :)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    Kerrat was fun, but now it's just feds farming or KDF hunting and maybe 1 or 2 kdf if any. If I go with my feds there's no one to shoot, and if I go with my KDFs I'm all alone against an instance full of feds. I miss being able to switch sides. I also wish they would raise the instance cap from 15 to 20.

I wouldn't mind an open pvp area with no objectives, just terrain and random siding with a safe zone at each spawn point. Other than that, no rules, just quick and dirty pvp :)

Your first bit is why I don't think the second bit would work. :(

How about some Joint Training Exercises...a zone around the size of Ker'rat - multiple objectives - ways to earn points, 25 players, 5 to a team, every team for themselves, factionless teams...
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Your first bit is why I don't think the second bit would work. :(

How about some Joint Training Exercises...a zone around the size of Ker'rat - multiple objectives - ways to earn points, 25 players, 5 to a team, every team for themselves, factionless teams...

That's a good idea too. I could totally go for that.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    moar big pvp ftw. many lurkers jump out of woodwork games to be had for all gl hf ggs kkthnksbye
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    rmy brings up a good point. Ker'rat used to be fun, but now it's a farmfest, with the occasional bit of PvP. Right now, it's not a warzone, it's a fed vs Borg zone with the occasional bored klink that kills a farmer and then gets swarmed by all the others. Not real entertaining.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I do agree Ker'rat is alot of fun.. I agree it would be nice if the Instance Cap was an even number.. mainly because then they could perhaps only allow half the amount of the Instance Cap as Fed, to give the Klingons the oppertunity to have an equal number of Klingons in the instance.

For example if it was an Instance Cap of 20 players per instance, an individual instance would allow for 10 Feds and 10 Klingons.

Either that, or make the side swap a Feature! Allow us to swap sides in Ker'rat! It was one of the best bugs that should have been a feature instead.
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    webdeath wrote: »
    Either that, or make the side swap a Feature! Allow us to swap sides in Ker'rat! It was one of the best bugs that should have been a feature instead.

HAHAHAHAHAHA... I can totally see the following scenario happening:

You head towards borg. You engage borg. You pick cube. Cube gets vaped by someone else. You wanted cube. You get angry. You swap sides. You vape cube stealer. Cube stealer gets mad but you switched back so he can't do anything. Cube stealer switches sides and vapes you.

Rinse and repeat as many times as necessary...

:D
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Cracked Planet Arena/Duel Zone

20 player limit per zone
    no factions - everybody's "gray".
    Ferengi Arenamaster
    Up to 10 players can speak to the Arenamaster to start a fight between 1-5vs1-5 players.
    The other 10-18 players remain and can watch with no interference.
    Leave a certain range of the planet/arena area and be disqualified.
    Each "match" is over when only one person per side remains.
    No time limit on the zone - doesn't reset.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I was thinking about it earlier this morning actually, was going to make a separate thread over it but might as well chuck it here instead.

I think we need a Federation/KDF warzone similar in design to the Dyson Sphere.

So here's the setup, it would have 3 areas in total. 2 of them would be respective Federation and KDF territories and that is where the PvE part of the place comes in. Random incursions and basic missions that spawn plenty of fodder, it would be the alternative to the farming part of Ker'rat.

And the 3rd area is bang in the middle where the open PvP happens. It can work like the contested zone we have now - a huge ground and space map where strategic points are taken for minor buffs. Give each side a few dailies and perhaps better loot drop rates as further incentive and there you go.

The risk averse can stay in their respective territories, and those who don't mind seeing their pixels get blown up can play in the contested area. I can see it being good fun.
  • Options
    blahhdreyblahhdrey Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Cracked Planet Arena/Duel Zone

20 player limit per zone
    no factions - everybody's "gray".
    Ferengi Arenamaster
    Up to 10 players can speak to the Arenamaster to start a fight between 1-5vs1-5 players.
    The other 10-18 players remain and can watch with no interference.
    Leave a certain range of the planet/arena area and be disqualified.
    Each "match" is over when only one person per side remains.
    No time limit on the zone - doesn't reset.

I am sold. In all seriousness though, this is a great setup. I would love to see something similar to this implemented in-game.

*begins holding breath*

:eek:
    dEpN3nB.png?1
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    kerrats awesome when u kill everyone and get away alive. 5 banger! count it
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    If we could have a few small changes to Kerrat it would be fantastic indeed, safe spawn so that you can at least get prepared to engage, 50% cap on faction, no stupid friggin reset (like N'Vak), and a massive great signpost for all the noobs that Cracked is for 1v1s so don't interrupt or you will be targeted until you leave by everyone!

Not necessarily just 1v1s...sometimes 2v1s, 2v2s, etc, etc, etc - but basically that if you weren't there for the agreed upon start of the fight, stay out of it. One of the things I miss about being able to glitch sides, is folks would do so to be able to slaughter folks that did interrupt.
  • Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Great post mini.

Kerrat, every time. Yes it's annoying when the HOBOs or NoP or some other KDF team up and spawn camp for hours, happened only last night, nobody could get off spawn with 10 KDF insta popping anything that appeared, in the end everyone left and either logged out or did something else, but most of the time it's a lot of fun and I have a lot of good friends in there, mini, fonzy, trigger, retro, julius, Logan (where is he btw) and many more.

If we could have a few small changes to Kerrat it would be fantastic indeed, safe spawn so that you can at least get prepared to engage, 50% cap on faction, no stupid friggin reset (like N'Vak), and a massive great signpost for all the noobs that Cracked is for 1v1s so don't interrupt or you will be targeted until you leave by everyone!

There was once or twice, though, that I popped around there to see how things were doing while cloaked - and wasn't careful and got popped by the Big Red Ball AoE.

But yeah, I would like that 50% cap. Honestly, both sides are guilty of spawncamping when their side has superiority.
  • Options
    boomboom8boomboom8 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i cant wait for the PvP revamp there doing next season i read the PvP updates in STO Wiki and i really do like it i just hope that if can get more people intrested in it. it will hopefully balance everything with the I-Lvl Cap for matches
  • Options
    capthachicapthachi Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    realmini wrote: »
    Talking about pvp, in terms of my preferred activity list in descending order of how awesome it is/much time i spend there. Theres a few different ways to get a fix, all involve feds dying in fireballs.

>>Kerrat: Really can't say enough about the best zone in the game. While it may have its downsides periodic camps and perpetual interruptions via reset, no other zone offers a static enduring pvp experience. It can start quiet, one small skirmish resulting in epic gankfests, fedball pwnage, and plenty of noobs asking wtf happened. Whether 10v1 or 1 v10, the wide array of possible encounters in kerrat is unmatched in sto pvp. Not just for farmers, long time pvp veterans often go there to engage hardened enemies worthy of coordinated and patient attacks.
    The sad thing being this is the only zone which even resembles open pvp in sto
    Kerrat owns, and i likely spent way over 50% of time in game there, waiting and watching for the next pwn moment.

I <3 seeing you in kerrat!
    -TaylorSwift - PvPs most hated sci
    -LindseyLohan - Under appreciated Rom Bug
    -EmiliaClarke - Under construction engi recluse
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    deokkent wrote: »
    Dude, I don't even know what to say to that. Except this. And except that. And that. And that....Aaaaaaaaand that. ****. And that.

Argh, just infinitude that.

So with the Undine Marks, what do you think we'll be able to buy? ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    deokkent wrote: »
    BTW I'm still in dyson mode right now, I just got to t4. That's how much I hate grinding.

Heh, Willard's T5x4 (one of the reasons I kept him, there's all sorts of little investment things in him). Even with Sponsorship tokens, none of the other guys are...well... none are above T2 Nukara/Omega, none are even T1 Rom, and two might be T1 Dyson. They're all over three months old...lol. I do the "time limited" things...kind of...sometimes. But yeah, I'll lose hours in Ker'rat doing the same thing for no reason at all* - but the grinding drives me crazy.

*the reason is fun, and it's one of the reasons that it bugs the Hell out of me that folks want to turn PvP into the same grind as elsewhere. I PvP cause PvP is fun, not for stuff.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Heh, Willard's T5x4 (one of the reasons I kept him, there's all sorts of little investment things in him). Even with Sponsorship tokens, none of the other guys are...well... none are above T2 Nukara/Omega, none are even T1 Rom, and two might be T1 Dyson. They're all over three months old...lol. I do the "time limited" things...kind of...sometimes. But yeah, I'll lose hours in Ker'rat doing the same thing for no reason at all* - but the grinding drives me crazy.

*the reason is fun, and it's one of the reasons that it bugs the Hell out of me that folks want to turn PvP into the same grind as elsewhere. I PvP cause PvP is fun, not for stuff.

I know what you mean the grinding is a pain in the TRIBBLE
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I think that the item level thing that they are going to try to implement will be interesting but I really don't like how there gonna make pvp a grind which I thInk will turn most people away from pvp