test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Idea] New Foundry 'Gateway' and Sector Space interfaces

13»

Comments

• xsilvermanxxsilvermanx Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This thread was brought to my attention, and I have passed the info on to the team. No promises, but it has been seen.

Thank you for forwarding the idea. So atleast it was/is discussed by the devs, let's hope for the best then.

EDIT: Sadly Jedi-mindcontrol doesn't work in Star Trek, imagine a pic of Obi-Wan Kenobi: "This is the idea you are looking for."
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kagasensei wrote: »
    I think I have never encountered a more committed, innovative and passionate community (Foundry authors and users in STO) on the one side; and such a neglecting, equanimous and ignoring team (Cryptic) on the other...

The past 2 years for the Foundry have been nothing but frustrating. It is too bad that the Foundry in STO has never been planned to be more than a testbed for Neverwinter. Although the Devs miraculously announced to implement "subscribe-to-author" and "create-sorted-string-of-missions" features "within 2014" I would be very surprised if any effort worth mentioning is going to be put in this tool in the foreseeable future. The past 2 years just tell a story that does NOT contain any commitment to it whatsoever.

My experience as well. :\
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    An upgrade to the Foundry interface is desperately needed, and I really hope that the devs take these ideas and implement them. They are spectacular, especially the integration into sector space, and would almost certainly be nearly trivial to implement.

Hopefully with the upcoming Foundry weekend, those at the top will realize that the current deficiencies really should be addressed sooner rather than later.
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thank you for forwarding the idea. So atleast it was/is discussed by the devs, let's hope for the best then.

EDIT: Sadly Jedi-mindcontrol doesn't work in Star Trek, imagine a pic of Obi-Wan Kenobi: "This is the idea you are looking for."

Mind ticks don't work on PWE, only money ( sorry had to be done)
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • xsilvermanxxsilvermanx Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    adverbero wrote: »
    Mind ticks don't work on PWE, only money ( sorry had to be done)

It would suffice if that money-trick worked for PWE cause what does zero-priced, nearly infinite content mean for PWE? That's what the Foundry does, although poorly implemented. So by accepting this idea and maybe adding reputation marks / fleet marks to Foundry-missions (I'll assume that the marks are rewarded based on length, would be a kinda obvious feature).

Fleet marks for every Foundry-mission, think about it: You are flying for your fleet and accomplishing a mission, so spread knowledge of your fleet around the galaxy. Could be rewarded as such, even if it wasn't nearly as much as for the PvE-queues cause they are the main "task" for the fleet-players.

Reputation marks would depend on the content of the mission. The foundry-builders can send their mission to cryptic and apply to get a certain type of rep-marks added to the reward choices. It only needs skimming through the mission to see whether it actually is themed around the faction it wants rep-marks for. Time lost not much, play the mission in God-ships with 1000 billion DPS weapons so fights can't be that long (but in a controlled dev-area, not the holodeck, cause that would cause the mission to lose on average time needed to complete). After that skimming decide either yes to rep-marks or no. If it's a yes, the computer does the rest and creates the output of rep-marks based on the length of the mission.

Maybe also take Latinum, Dilithium, Energy Credits in the mix of possible rewards. Having a choice between those rewards and marks of any kind could make the foundry really interesting for everyone (cause what's better: farming one PvE-queue to oblivion or play multiple Foundry-mission that reward the same marks, although a little bit slower? I wouldn't care for being not as efficient as possible).
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Excellent concept and UI mockups - I especially like the replacement for the "warp into deep space" dialogue.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • devtrackerdevtracker Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I support everything except the "next 50 missions" button. Those 2 new buttons are just too confusing. If people cant find a mission they want in the existing list, then adding little buttons at the bottom arent going to help them. I'm kidding of course, because that logic is absolutely ridiculous. Too bad that is what a dev actually said(paraphrased) in an interview about the foundry.
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    De'Angelou, Geko: Make it so!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Make Make it it so so.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm happy to support anything foundry wise that can help the game. :) looks like a huge step in the right direction!!! good idea, good for the game, good for the community!!!
  • cptwilliam2cptwilliam2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If this was implemented, it would greatly increase the ease of finding missions.

I'd also like to see random foundry missions pop up in exploration clusters.
    Join Legends Memorial, a chat channel to share stories about the legends of Trek who are no longer with us.
  • cptwilliam2cptwilliam2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    No.

You just want to trick people into playing a Foundry Mission when they have no desire to spend the next 2 hours clicking on text.

There should and there is a clear division of what is a Cryptic mission and a Foundry mission and that should remain so.

Exploration clusters and not and should NOT be Foundry doors, especially if the intent is to trick players into a 2 hours text reading marathon.

As in, you can turn on an option that allows it. IE, got to the foundry menu on a character and turn on a random mission box that will hail you for one if you are in the area of it. Clearly not as a trick.

I should have been more specific.
    Join Legends Memorial, a chat channel to share stories about the legends of Trek who are no longer with us.
  • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That's a good idea. Simpler way to implement might be to just make the button appear as "Foundry: <name of mission>", same as (unless I'm misremembering this) planets with a patrol mission have the button say "Patrol: <name of place>". Either way, not difficult. The more awkward part would be to identify which ones would be suitable for exploration zones (i.e. not ones that are clearly set on ESD or Risa, say), but since I can't honestly think of any way people could usefully use this to cheat, it should be OK to just allow authors to tag their mission as suitable or unsuitable for exploration zones.
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You should get a Job at cryptic and be Head of the Foundry department. Just by looking over the content you have provided here, I know you head must be exploding with ideas to improve this game.
    Best Post I've read in a Long time, but sadly I dont think cryptic will take notice and I'll tell you why. Everything you've done here is absolutly fabulous for players but Money wise it does nothing for Cryptic. I hate to say it but if it doesn't line the cryptics pockets with hundred dollor bills the idea is just thrown out the Window. If you could include some way for zen or dilithium to be spent in the New foundry model they would go for it. I know you could think of a way because of the work you've done here is very creative. Maybe the way Cryptic gives you the option of buy Fleet support at the beging of a STF, simular to what they did with the New Fleet action mission Undine assault.
    Thats my 2 cents. I fully support this idea and I wish you the best of Luck with it. Now you just have to get cryptic to take notice. Great idea so they might.
  • donrahdonrah Member Posts: 348
    edited April 2014
    hyefather wrote: »
    You should get a Job at cryptic and be Head of the Foundry department. Just by looking over the content you have provided here, I know you head must be exploding with ideas to improve this game.
    Best Post I've read in a Long time, but sadly I dont think cryptic will take notice and I'll tell you why. Everything you've done here is absolutly fabulous for players but Money wise it does nothing for Cryptic. I hate to say it but if it doesn't line the cryptics pockets with hundred dollor bills the idea is just thrown out the Window. If you could include some way for zen or dilithium to be spent in the New foundry model they would go for it. I know you could think of a way because of the work you've done here is very creative. Maybe the way Cryptic gives you the option of buy Fleet support at the beging of a STF, simular to what they did with the New Fleet action mission Undine assault.
    Thats my 2 cents. I fully support this idea and I wish you the best of Luck with it. Now you just have to get cryptic to take notice. Great idea so they might.

Ideas are a dime a dozen. You have to have the skill to execute those ideas if you want to be considered worth hiring.
    Go here and show your support for a better Foundry!
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    No.

You just want to trick people into playing a Foundry Mission when they have no desire to spend the next 2 hours clicking on text.

There should and there is a clear division of what is a Cryptic mission and a Foundry mission and that should remain so.

Exploration clusters and not and should NOT be Foundry doors, especially if the intent is to trick players into a 2 hours text reading marathon.
    wombat140 wrote: »
    That's a good idea. Simpler way to implement might be to just make the button appear as "Foundry: <name of mission>", same as (unless I'm misremembering this) planets with a patrol mission have the button say "Patrol: <name of place>". Either way, not difficult. The more awkward part would be to identify which ones would be suitable for exploration zones (i.e. not ones that are clearly set on ESD or Risa, say), but since I can't honestly think of any way people could usefully use this to cheat, it should be OK to just allow authors to tag their mission as suitable or unsuitable for exploration zones.

First, the "exploit". Place an "exploration" style mission on a world along a major travel route (say, ESD to Risa, ESD to Gamma Orisonis, Q'onos to Mol'Rihan, Jouret, etc. to get the name and exposure going.

Second, as the first quote says, a clear demarcation between Cryptic (aka "Professional") design and fan-design foundry does need to be maintained. I mean, if people get lost in exploration clusters, what's to stop them from ranting about the first foundry mission that someone stumbles on and stretches out the "official storyline" some in an unauthorized direction...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
    edited July 2014
    We do now have the Foundry doors for exploration areas. Maybe this is where they got the idea. Maybe it's even a trial run for doing it throughout the game. That would be fun!
    edited August 2014
    Just had an idea. Why don't we make signature banners supporting this, like the "I support a Revamped Galaxy Class" ones?
    (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=11875851&highlight=Galaxy+signature#post11875851)
    It'd keep it in the developers' minds how many people would actually be pleased if they did this. In fact, I think I heard somewhere that they had done a revamped Galaxy class of sorts, so it's maybe only fair for someone else to have a turn now. Afraid I can't volunteer to make it myself at the moment, I'm short of time - but if anyone else makes one, I'll wear it!
  • glassguitarglassguitar Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    BRILLIANT!!!! Way to go OP. Cryptic ... hire THIS guy.