test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Priority One Podcast Episode 162 -- C is for Cookie

kraft4406kraft4406 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Greetings, Captains! You're listening to Episode 162 of Priority One Podcast, the premier Star Trek Online podcast! This episode was recorded on Thursday, February 20th, 2014 and published for download on Monday, February 24th at PriorityOnePodcast.com![/b]

James was unfortunately kidnapped by salt vampires this week, so you lucky listeners are treated to an outstanding trio of Elijah, Tony and community guest host CookieCupcakes! In this week's Trek It Out we tell you about an outstanding international Star Trek fan organisation that's free to join before heading in to STO News where we discuss Season 8 Dev Blogs #50,#51 and #52 -- the complete rundown of the Dyson Science Destroyers including their consoles and special set bonuses; the latest Spire Featured Project, the ARC Portal, a very interesting article from veteran developer Matt Miller over on MMORPG.com and all the latest goodies to hit Holodeck. Next, ChivalryBean brings us his latest Foundry Officer Report with his review of “Collectiveness Strikes Gold” by Stoutes; and finally, we open our hailing frequencies to listen to all the incoming messages from you, our listeners.

Topics Discussed

This Week's Community Questions
  • What are your thoughts on the new Dyson Science Destroyers? Will you be spending your ZEN on these new ships?
  • Captains we want to hear from YOU -- How do you add your own story to the Star Trek Online universe? Is just through a detailed Character Description or Captain’s Bio? Do you RolePlay or write your own fiction?

Let us know YOUR thoughts by commenting below!
We are Live on TrekRadio.net every Thursday at 5:30pm Pacific Time! If you'd like to join us live, during the show, Trek Radio has a built in IRC Chat client. Just click on the Community menu tab and select IRC Chat - input your desired screen name and enter!

The Priority One Network is always looking for new team members that have a passion for Star Trek. incoming@priorityonepodcast.com Please know that all of our positions are volunteer, but we do offer a well known outlet for your work. If you have a particular skill that you believe could enhance our content, then send your contact information and experience along with a few writing samples to incoming@priorityonepodcast.com

Did you miss any of our great Blogs last week? Stop by this link and see for yourself! How about our latest Video Release? You can also follow us on the social media sites! We're on Facebook! Head over to www.facebook.com/PriorityOnePodcast and say hi! Or, Check us out on Twitter via @stopriorityone for show times and other cool stuff.

Liked this episode? Totally hated it? Leave a comment below, Contact Us using our handy web form or leave your comments on the episode's page at Priority One Podcast.com

Enjoy the show!

STREAM WHILE YOU PLAY & DOWNLOAD FOR LATER (iTUNES AND MP3):
Web: http://priorityonepodcast.com

SUBSCRIBE:
OUR RSS FEED

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER:
STOPriorityONE

CATCH US LIVE ON TREKRADIO, Thursdays 7 PM PT/10 PM ET:
www.trekradio.net
Post edited by kraft4406 on

Comments

• Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I am vary unhappy with the arc site push, with the old site the news about the game was front and center with news in the order it was posted. With the arc site the news Page is vary cluttered once I FINALLY found it and I felt like the most recent news was pushed aside in favor of older monetary news. I hate, repeat HATE having to fish through things I've already heard about to get to new information about a game I play.

Additionally I would love to make a few missions in the foundry but the neglect to this system and poky updates to it break what few missions I have been able to make despite the unfriendliness of the system every time I turn around. This systemneeds some major attention and new features, would love to be able to voice-over some of my npcs in my foundry missions and make cut scenes to a lesser extent of the developers but don't see that happening with the red headed stepchild mindset pwe/cryptic has over the foundry in sto.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    genadagenada Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I enjoy your interviews but wish you would ask them about player created stfs and the lack of new stfs.

It's really time we got new stfs. It's time that they created content that was more of a challenge to players. Cryptic seems afraid to challenge it's players and they really should. Player created stfs could help with this if they were given the tools to do so with the foundry.
  • Options
    projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kraft4406 wrote: »
    Greetings, Captains! You're listening to Episode 162 of Priority One Podcast, the premier Star Trek Online podcast! This episode was recorded on Thursday, February 20th, 2014 and published for download on Monday, February 24th at PriorityOnePodcast.com![/b]

Hey Kraft4406,

I have this vague recollection of your team getting in-game content which the rest of us pay for as part of their deal to do "hard hitting reviews on STO".

I want to follow in your footsteps, who do I have to schill for to get paid around here?
  • Options
    caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I wont be buying anymore zen, or anymore ships from the store, until the developers start taking this game seriously for people that drop money on it and expect some challenge for all the ships and gear they buy/earn. I am a lifer for the record. As well as Legacy pack. I don't think this entitles me to anything special, unless you count some kind of endgame as 'special'. Which Cryptic seems to do.

Right now, 3 year old Borg content isn't cutting it as endgame for me. I'm popping out, be back in a few months. No you can't have my stuff.

EDIT: Sorry can't help this one. "complete rundown on Dyson Science Destroyers"? Lol? 3 ships reskinned into 9? When i say 3 ships i mean that loosely. Its 3 ships with identical stats and boff layouts, the only difference is they have a different extra console slot. Wow. Whats to rundown? The fact you are trying to get people to buy it in a shameless cashgrab for a set bonus? Or that we can use these ships to totally zerg any content the game can offer in about 5 minutes, just like we can in the other ships we paid good money for and still have to use on stale content?

Seriously
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    genada wrote: »
    I enjoy your interviews but wish you would ask them about player created stfs and the lack of new stfs.

It's really time we got new stfs. It's time that they created content that was more of a challenge to players. Cryptic seems afraid to challenge it's players and they really should. Player created stfs could help with this if they were given the tools to do so with the foundry.

its hard to kiss sto's butt if your asking them the questions they don't want asked.. and stirring the pot.. most pod casts do this since cryptic has made it clear they will not interview and give anything to pod casts who ruffle the feathers.. (I know, I used to be apart of a pod cast that started asking tougher questions and ruffling the feathers a little, and boom, no cryptic anything our way)..

being friends with a lot of podcasters, when I ask them why they don't bring certain things up, they simply state, cause we don't want to lose interviews and exclusives and blah blah blah.. its a shame...

im not saying a podcast needs to go all doom, or beat up on cryptic, but one thing I found very suprising, is the grindaversary. had one of the biggest outcries from the community. and not one podcast pressed any cryptic employees about it. sure it was brought up casually, but not one actually tried to get real answers.. all we got was the same old cryptic non answers..

podcasts were good up until the end of season3. now, they have all morphed into what cryptic wants them to be...

further more, when was the last time we saw and article or review from a gaming website that wasn't in cryptic pocket (ie, someone who worked for said website now works for cryptic, so ofcourse they are gonna blow rainbows up cryptics butt.) the world cryptic shows the player base is a very sheltered, protected world, cause the review from other sites, while not spelling doom, usually are far from spelling superbness..
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Guh I hate the new Arc portal. It's so bland and soul-less (just like the new forum theme!). Quite frankly, the design is bad, even amateurish. It is far too cluttered and it's hard to find information. In fact I hate it so much that I went out of my way and spent several hours writing client-side scripts for my browser to make it suck less. Eradicator84 felt the same way about the forum theme and did the same thing for the forum. You know a design is bad when the community takes it upon themselves to fix it and the forum moderators say it hampers their ability to work. And we lose functionality and suffer through a sea of broken links every time they move the website.

I understand that having a shared infrastructure across all of their games/sites should theoretically make the jobs of their web team simpler, but it's perfectly possible to have a shared infrastructure and allow individual game sites and forums to retain individuality. They should take a hint from battle.net's shared architecture but individual themes.
    http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/
    • What are your thoughts on the new Dyson Science Destroyers? Will you be spending your ZEN on these new ships?
    • Captains we want to hear from YOU -- How do you add your own story to the Star Trek Online universe? Is just through a detailed Character Description or Captain’s Bio? Do you RolePlay or write your own fiction?

*Although I did the grind on 5 characters to get each of them the freebie DSD, I likely won't even unbox them on all but my Reman Science captain (the other 4 were more "just in case"). Before I found out that there were 3 c-store versions per faction for a total of 9 I had thought to myself "Well if I think the freebie Romulan version has potential I'll probably spring for the c-store version" (my Reman is only level 39; I made her just for the DSD, and my first Romulan-faction character) but now, wow what a money grab. A 3 pack for each faction, and set bonus gear that only comes on the 9-console DSD which will soon cost 600 lobi, the most expensive currency in the game? Add to that the fact that you can't apply faction materials to them for customization and I'm seriously rethinking whether I want to buy any of them at all. It boggles my mind.

*I have a detailed bio for my main character and light bios for my others. Occasionally I do some walk-up RP with my main in the social zones for a few hours and it's generally enjoyable. I don't do ship RP or have set times to partake in an ongoing complicated story thread like the more dedicated RPers in the game. I prefer singular encounters without long-term strings attached like long ongoing stories. Sometimes I also feel inspired to write a few pages of fiction about my character--backstory, events that don't take place in any of the game's environments or time period--but that's a reallllllly slow process for me due to the way I write (but I like to think my final results are usually high quality :P ).

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    New dyson ship or the white blob as it looks to me. I was going to get it but u cant use faction materials n are stuck with a white thing. I wonted it for my kdf sci cat as there is no real sci ship kdf side but as there is a lack of options with this ship ill spend the cash in my local pub.

Great work with ur blog hope to see a lot more
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This Week's Community Questions

I'm still on the fence about picking up one or the bundle for my KDF Alien. I've been enjoying the "free" version quite a bit on them, and the tactical material is very beautiful, but I really don't see myself 'wasting' that many console slots for the set bonus. The difference between the "free" and C-Store version(s) is hard to justify the cost.

I was really hopeful this would finally be the ship I've been looking for on my Federation Science character, but the Federation versions are too far away from Starfleet designs for me to feel comfortable with the ship. (That, and I don't want to run Protonic Polarons with the character - which the locked-in Proton Cannon essentially forces you into.)

As for adding story, It's mostly head-canon for me these days. I did have some fun ideas for the Foundry, but became thoroughly discouraged by how limiting and linear the 'rules' for foundry missions are. I had wanted to make a semi-persistant mission where you would lead a colonization effort and get to decide what and where to settle, who to befriend/make enemies with, and generally create an environment where players could tell their own story and have a sense of ownership over the choices they made.

(Oh, also, just "Szeron", or even "Sze"/"Zee" is fine.)
  • Options
    gemetzelgemetzel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    My Dyson Science Destroyer is awesome. I don't switch the Tactical mode often but it's nice to have if I need to finish off a target fast. With my current doff/boff setup I can stack Grav well and Tykens' Rift and run a light Aux2Bat build effectively. Really liking the ship!

I role-play on occasion but my character's story is mainly chronicled through the bio. I change it as things in the STOry (hehe) move along. As it has always been in Star Trek, the fans make the lore come to life.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Honestly... they're exactly as I expected, even before they were revealed. I generally have a positive opinion on them, and I definitely am considering buying the mega bundle.... eventually. My wallet is still recovering from my last big-zen purchase, so they'll have to wait. But they will be mine.
    My ultimate goal is to fill every character bio out, both captains and BOFFs. But since I have 32 captains, and I'm not the most creative person in the galaxy, it's pretty challenging. I do have a few halfway decent bios, like my Joined Trill with a mirror universe symbiote, or my non-greedy Ferengi who grew up on Earth.

I also would like to roleplay, but as I(or my characters for that matter) don't have a good foundation, I find it difficult to just jump in and RP. I've even visited Starbase 381 a few times, but it wasn't a pretty sight from my perspective.

Write my own fiction? Nah. But I definitely would like to participate in the fiction of others, if only just to get my character's faces out there.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    and BOFFs

Oh right that reminds me that I have a couple of Bolians down in main engineering that are in love with each other and it's so cute.. you know.. in my head.. >_>;;

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hey ( great show as always ) so am I going to get the 9 pack? No. Just gonna buy the tac version for my romulan as I think it's one of the best looking rommie ships, believe it or not I dont have a sci character, its never appealed to me. I like the ships but do think its a waste for the feds, better sci and tac ships exist already, on the other hand the kdf an rommies need a dedicated fast sci ship.

Now when it comes to RP I avoid all types of it why? Its just not me, some people thrive on it while I avoid it like the plague, that doesn't mean I hate RP'S.

Just want to add that this star citizen thing is so lame ( love ya tony )

ZENDOR
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Oh right that reminds me that I have a couple of Bolians down in main engineering that are in love with each other and it's so cute.. you know.. in my head.. >_>;;
    Uh... cool? :o
  • Options
    kraft4406kraft4406 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hey Kraft4406,

I have this vague recollection of your team getting in-game content which the rest of us pay for as part of their deal to do "hard hitting reviews on STO".

I want to follow in your footsteps, who do I have to schill for to get paid around here?

If someone's getting paid around here, I'd like to know who! :D Nobody on the team gets any content from Cryptic (or PWE) for free. Seriously, even when we've done giveaways, that's came straight out of our own pockets. The only 'perks' that we get for doing a podcast is that we get to have Devs on for interview. Like the rest of you, we too have collectively spent hundreds of dollars on various ship bundles, lock-boxes and the like. As we often say on our shows, everything we do is purely a labour of love.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Not fond of the ARC website, it's not user friendly and the important information is not apparent as it should be.
    What are your thoughts on the new Dyson Science Destroyers? Will you be spending your ZEN on these new ships?

Not going to buy. Lately, it seems they are more interested in dishing our ships for us to buy, than actually creating long-term content that keeps us interested more than a few weeks. And these new ships are almost completely identical, which does not make it feel like it's worth an $50 or $100 investment.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If someone's getting paid around here, I'd like to know who! :D Nobody on the team gets any content from Cryptic (or PWE) for free. S

I believe you.

The 'currency' involved here is getting Cryptic to talk to you.

That requires not being too controversial or asking particulary difficult questions.

Fair enough, not every interview needs to be Jeremy Paxman in the throes of 'roid rage.

Be nice if there was one or two though......
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    My thanks for Chivalrybean and the rest of the podcast for adding my mission! And yes, you are right that it might seem to be rushed. The last part was the original mission (I revamped the thing) and I had 1.5 hours before S8 hit to launch the damn thing...

Nonetheless, great podcast overal!
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    What are your thoughts on the new Dyson Science Destroyers? Will you be spending your ZEN on these new ships?

Wanted to buy the Romulan and KDF versions.
    Given we are not allowed to customize the ships skins I will not buy the Romulan one
    But I will probably end up buying only the KDF versions.
    At least those one can be altered to look like Klingon ships thanks to the KHG shield.
    And the reasons I will pick those up for my science are
    a.) I will support my preferred faction
    b.) the KDF gets, on average, about two ships per year that are not low level or retrofits of older ships

As a result I assume this is the only KDF-Klingon science-heavy ship we will see in years.
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I will not be buying these ships. I cannot see me using them. My ships slots are at a premium and are already filled with unique ships I cannot reclaim. I really do feel that lock box and event ships should come with a ship slot that can go away if you discharge the ship. I have the issue of ship saturation. They really need to find something other then ships to sell. This is unsustainable.
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Wanted to buy the Romulan and KDF versions.
    Given we are not allowed to customize the ships skins I will not buy the Romulan one
    But I will probably end up buying only the KDF versions.
    At least those one can be altered to look like Klingon ships thanks to the KHG shield.
    And the reasons I will pick those up for my science are
    a.) I will support my preferred faction
    b.) the KDF gets, on average, about two ships per year that are not low level or retrofits of older ships

As a result I assume this is the only KDF-Klingon science-heavy ship we will see in years

well good on you for supporting your faction. I bought the mogh for support mostly but actually is a good ship that I'm happy with. but at the same time it's a pretty sad state of the kdf ship production line when players feel they will be lucky to get 2 ships a year :(

on dyson ships in general I thought about getting the lot. then thought nahh just the romulan ships.
    but on reflection these ship 'hybrids' look far too much like they kinda 'kitbashed' them from ships I already have. makes me wonder more what they have against the k'vort when they do it themselves. anyway you can't even change the skin on them to make them look more romulan in the case of the romulan ships. also the variation between 3 ships appearance in a bundle is so minor it annoys me.

oh and the animation while changing between modes. just seem weird and a waste of time at least on the romulan warbird version. it has a swivel animation that looks like it don't belong on a 2409 ship. i think the kdf ships had the smartest animation if I recall correctly. when seeing the lame swivel animation I'm left thinking what a waste of time these animations really are.

otherwise while I like the concept of how the bridge works, science/tactical mode. it did leave me thinking that science ships alone can't be good sellers at all for cryptic so they had to throw a bit of escort love at it.

so at the end of my personal ranty review these dyson hybrids will be the only ships I've never bought. one thing I do appreciate is that cryptic gave everyone the chance to try before you buy. I cannot thank them enough for that during the feature episode :)
  • Options
    elijahmreelijahmre Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    puttenham wrote: »
    its hard to kiss sto's butt if your asking them the questions they don't want asked.. and stirring the pot.. most pod casts do this since cryptic has made it clear they will not interview and give anything to pod casts who ruffle the feathers.. (I know, I used to be apart of a pod cast that started asking tougher questions and ruffling the feathers a little, and boom, no cryptic anything our way)..

being friends with a lot of podcasters, when I ask them why they don't bring certain things up, they simply state, cause we don't want to lose interviews and exclusives and blah blah blah.. its a shame...

im not saying a podcast needs to go all doom, or beat up on cryptic, but one thing I found very suprising, is the grindaversary. had one of the biggest outcries from the community. and not one podcast pressed any cryptic employees about it. sure it was brought up casually, but not one actually tried to get real answers.. all we got was the same old cryptic non answers..

podcasts were good up until the end of season3. now, they have all morphed into what cryptic wants them to be...

further more, when was the last time we saw and article or review from a gaming website that wasn't in cryptic pocket (ie, someone who worked for said website now works for cryptic, so ofcourse they are gonna blow rainbows up cryptics butt.) the world cryptic shows the player base is a very sheltered, protected world, cause the review from other sites, while not spelling doom, usually are far from spelling superbness..

Thanks for your feedback. As a matter of fact, the community concerns about the Qmendation method of attaining the new ship was something we discussed with Al Rivera prior to the launch of Season 8.5

To suggest that we don't address these sensitive issues during a Cryptic interview attention is inaccurate. What you will find is that we will not grind our guests on the topic expecting a different response. Nor do we attempt to exhaust the discussion hoping that we'll manage to change their minds about how they develop the game.

I encourage you to Trek Out our interview with Al Rivera...

http://priorityonepodcast.com/po158/

and

http://priorityonepodcast.com/po158-5/

I assure you, we don't shy away from asking "hard" questions.

We sometimes receive feedback like, "Why didn't you ask about this; or mention that?" Unfortunately, we have a finite amount of time with our guests. We wish we could talk STO all day long - or daily -- or weekly -- with our guests. Unfortunately, due to these time constraints, we need to pick and choose what we discuss.
  • Options
    chivalrybeanchivalrybean Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    stoutes wrote: »
    My thanks for Chivalrybean and the rest of the podcast for adding my mission! And yes, you are right that it might seem to be rushed. The last part was the original mission (I revamped the thing) and I had 1.5 hours before S8 hit to launch the damn thing...

Nonetheless, great podcast overal!

You're welcome! {:0)
    Chewson Pwan - VA
    S.S. Doff Lundgren
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I did consider getting the tactical version for all three factions, but the reality is, that with very little customisation and already owning ships that do a better job, meant that the Dyson ships were not worth getting for me.

The 9 pack really is a slap in the face on top of the grind. It should have been a multi faction 3 pack, rather than the 9 ships.

Unlocking each of them unlocks the boff seating and console for all factions on an account..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif