What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Literary Challenge #59 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    @worffan101 - I agree, that was a fun read. For my part, the idea of a known sociopath being in command of a starship does not match my idea of "Starfleet", it nonetheless allows for some interesting interactions and resolutions.

The first 5 entries took 31 pages to print out, so I'm getting to them as I can :)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,369 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    masopw wrote: »
    Question...if a Vorta has the memories of the prior clone, would it might not be an innocent victim if it replays the memory of the crime over and over in its mind and takes pleasure in it?
    If, yes. In this particular instance, I certainly don't recall anything about this particular Vorta taking pleasure in any of its memories of the occupation; to the contrary, it felt sufficiently poorly about its former "gods" that it enlisted in Starfleet.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    @worffan101: As always, tightly written, and enjoyable, and as mentioned by others, nice to see Three on the back foot and vulnerable :cool:

Yeah, if it were a PHYSICAL threat she'd probably come up with a crazy Desperate Awesome solution. Unfortunately, while her metal and mental discipline renders her resistant to long-range and circumspect telepathic attack, she has basically no defenses against an insane, hate-fueled Betazoid at close range.

I wrote her as being seriously overconfident here. If she were thinking, instead of being in pissed-off Find Who Hurt My Crewman mode, she'd have asked D'vek if he had anything to deal with telepaths (like her XO did).
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Yeah, if it were a PHYSICAL threat she'd probably come up with a crazy Desperate Awesome solution. Unfortunately, while her metal and mental discipline renders her resistant to long-range and circumspect telepathic attack, she has basically no defenses against an insane, hate-fueled Betazoid at close range.

I wrote her as being seriously overconfident here. If she were thinking, instead of being in pissed-off Find Who Hurt My Crewman mode, she'd have asked D'vek if he had anything to deal with telepaths (like her XO did).

Interestingly, one of her greatest strengths is also her greatest weakness.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    @worffan101 - I agree, that was a fun read. For my part, the idea of a known sociopath being in command of a starship does not match my idea of "Starfleet", it nonetheless allows for some interesting interactions and resolutions.

Three's messed-up head makes for some really awesome writing.

She was really off her game in this one, though; her loyalty gene triggered when Gamat'Elon got hurt, which left her underprepared for the telepathic villain.

And hey, they let lieutenants fresh out of the Academy have their own ships. Why not a genre-savvy sociopath? At least she's got a money-back guarantee on her services and loyalty. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Interestingly, one of her greatest strengths is also her greatest weakness.

What do you mean? Her physical power?

I should note, by the way, that telepathy is not present in Three's original universe.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    What do you mean? Her physical power?

I should note, by the way, that telepathy is not present in Three's original universe.

I meant her loyalty gene, actually.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I meant her loyalty gene, actually.

Aaah.

Yeah, she's not as clear-headed when it activates. Her emotions take control. Interestingly, she appears more emotional in her normal state; when she gets angry, she tends to get very quiet and matter-of-fact. At least, until she snaps, in which case it is better to be far away.

The loyalty gene means that she will perform all kinds of ridiculous desperate moves for her people, but it also lets her emotions get the better of her, which in this case almost killed her. Her girlfriend, who also cares a lot about Gama'Elon (who wouldn't, after a couple of years on the Bridge with him, and Belkrab in Engineering, and D'vek the perv at the science station), is able to pause and think through the situation, and asks D'vek for an anti-telepathy device, which she uses to resist the Betazoid's attack (and avoid her telepathic senses). That plus the shroud armor plus Gamat'Elon's oversized gun equals dramatic save.
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Few do, T'Reya's mental discipline served only to give Delian an easy 'filing system' to flip through ;)
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    That... isn't entirely true. It was mentioned in the episode that Weyoun 6 was a defective clone. Weyouns 7 and 8 both had the same personalities as Weyoun 5.

Defective according to the other weyouns. Of course they would say he's defective, he's acting very different to them. But honestly, was there anything to suggest he was defective? Other than his defection? He seemed as abled as all the others. He had free will, he chose to excersisr that in a at different to expected and was persecuted for it.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    masopwmasopw Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    grylak wrote: »
    Defective according to the other weyouns. Of course they would say he's defective, he's acting very different to them. But honestly, was there anything to suggest he was defective? Other than his defection? He seemed as abled as all the others. He had free will, he chose to excersisr that in a at different to expected and was persecuted for it.

Hmmm....open a can of worm by discussing levels of canon?

Nah.

Memory Alpha does say that Weyoun 6 was defective. I haven't yet picked up the DS9 DVDs as I'd prefer to wait for Amazon's insane daily deals ($24 for all Indy movies on blu ray? Score! Last one can serve as a coaster...) so I'll have to defer to the episode referenced that made the claim.

Either way...I liked marcusdkane's tale and wasn't making it an issue from his particular telling...just generating discussion as to whether a clone with same memories who regaled in the crimes of his predecessors would be as guilty as the perpetrator, or if he could be considered innocent.

Say a Vorta killed Worf, then a subsequent clone told Worf that Jadzia was weak. Worf would gut him regardless of his non-participation in the original crime. That's what I think he'd do, anyway.

Edit on Saturday night: D'oh...I meant for the last paragraph to say a Vorta killed Jadzia and a subsequent clone gloated to Worf about it. Seems like errors like that are easy to make when one misses a night of sleep...
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I've pretty well established that Three has a rocky relationship with Command. Admiral Quinn has her under Contract, and so she obeys his orders to the letter, but Admiral T'nae outright hates her guts, and Admiral Janeway...

Well, Three told the admirals in a staff meeting about Star Trek, and said that Janeway's series was the worst-written of all of them, which Janeway found deeply insulting for reasons she didn't really understand. Then there was the Hifahr incident, where Three ordered the thalaron bombing of a civilian population because she didn't want to risk her crew when cleaning up a salt vampire infestation.

Three and Janeway don't hate each other, per se, but they are definitely not each others' favorite people.

Thought of this while watching old DS9 episodes...

They have a relationship sort of like Quark and Odo, just less open disdain.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    @grylack: very well done! <spoiler> a Chief engineer who wants to take revenge is quite dangerous...think of the access she has, to "assist" other ships. Chilling. My thanks to the crew of the Viper for diligently searching for the Bonaventure...if you say here they fired a probe during the search, I'll work it into the wrap up!
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Nah.

Memory Alpha does say that Weyoun 6 was defective. I haven't yet picked up the DS9 DVDs as I'd prefer to wait for Amazon's insane daily deals ($24 for all Indy movies on blu ray? Score! Last one can serve as a coaster...) so I'll have to defer to the episode referenced that made the claim.

Either way...I liked marcusdkane's tale and wasn't making it an issue from his particular telling...just generating discussion as to whether a clone with same memories who regaled in the crimes of his predecessors would be as guilty as the perpetrator, or if he could be considered innocent.

Say a Vorta killed Worf, then a subsequent clone told Worf that Jadzia was weak. Worf would gut him regardless of his non-participation in the original crime. That's what I think he'd do, anyway.
    in this particular case, Xetiva did nothing to provoke Delian or anyone else, she was simply in his presence... I'm almost tempted to add more detail to delve more into his psychosis, but I won't, because the entry is not about him, but about T'Reya... He was just a suitable 'outlet' to release her most closely kept secret... ( and in such a way that would not alert Claire or any other of the Vanguard's officers, thus obliging them to take action against her)
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Nah.

I think odo and weyoun 7 have this same discussion in the episode about 6's defectiveness. If the clone does act differently, then it is innocent. But if it does enjoy the memories..... It would mean it would have done the same thing, so would be more susceptible to the guilty verdict. Not making an issue, just enjoying a lively debate. You're right with worf, that much is certain.

I'll add in mention of the probe. And glad you like It. Things will certainly be interesting of there's more dominion activity in these.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    patrickngo wrote: »
    I'm so tempted to write this one from the killer's point of view.

That'd be interesting. :D
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This sounds like an awesome premise. I'll have to give it some thought, since i'm currently afflicted with the dreaded lurgy, so maybe i'll post once i'm better and my brain can handle writing for more than a few lines at a time.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Added the first part of my new story Wrath of the Deities. Hope you guys like my newest character Hazel, or Hazari as I know her. If I ever get the chance I'll right a story that explains how she came into this timeline, but she comes from an alternate timeline I created because of my own LC idea in the Lc thread.

Constructive thoughts welcome. I'm working on finishing it up when I have free time, but expect the next update to be around friday or before if I can.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    aten66 wrote: »
    Added the first part of my new story Wrath of the Deities. Hope you guys like my newest character Hazel, or Hazari as I know her. If I ever get the chance I'll right a story that explains how she came into this timeline, but she comes from an alternate timeline I created because of my own LC idea in the Lc thread.

Constructive thoughts welcome. I'm working on finishing it up when I have free time, but expect the next update to be around friday or before if I can.

I like it :cool:
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    @ryan218 - that was great! The logs helped give it a TV show you're watching on DVD. You know, like returning from a commercial break without the commercials. I particularly liked the conversation between Ryan and Alpha because it was very reminiscent of a conversation with Data.

@masopw - This is dark stuff, even for Section 31 but an enjoyable read. Having not looked at Memory Alpha, read the books or watched all of DS9, is all the details about the Four Deities canon?
  • Options
    edited February 2014

@masopw - This is dark stuff, even for Section 31 but an enjoyable read. Having not looked at Memory Alpha, read the books or watched all of DS9, is all the details about the Four Deities canon?

Thank you! Yep...an organization whose goal is the survival of the Federation at any cost will do nasty things to ensure the existence.

Unless there's a huge coincidence, the only 'Canon' thing about the Four Deities is Lwaxana Troi once thanked the Four Deities. :o
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In that case, VERY cool stuff there. Frankly, that made the piece for me. I mean, all of it is good, but THAT was really well done.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    @ryan218 - that was great! The logs helped give it a TV show you're watching on DVD. You know, like returning from a commercial break without the commercials. I particularly liked the conversation between Ryan and Alpha because it was very reminiscent of a conversation with Data.

Thanks! Really, I used the log entries to try and keep the LC from going on for ages and to take advantage of the theme. It also let me show insights into Ryan's personality that we wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

As for Alpha, that was the exact feel I was going for. Not to similar, but with the same feel. I figured; just because Data had an emotion chip prior to the destruction of his original body doesn't mean SCE has been able to make more, so Alpha has the same drive to understand humanity, though for him it's less because he was programmed to and more because he's endeavouring, as any computer would, to correct flaws in his own logic. For example, he had observational data on Ryan's conversations with other star ship captains, but his conversation with Captain Saph was exceptional. Ergo, he needed to find the cause of the exception in order to understand it and correct his logic. Similar to how human brains work, really.
  • Options
    destroyer831642destroyer831642 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Be warned, mine is going to be a VERY long one. I'm only 2/3 of the way through and I'm already to 10 pages on MS Word.
    9621eea4-a1f5-4e30-bb61-da044da2a5a7_zps2t6tasgd.png

• Options
    edited February 2014
    @squatsauce - That was amazing characterization. I was involved with everyone - even the shuttle pilot for his part. Great work here :)
  • Options
    mrdarksabremrdarksabre Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I've started writing my entry for this challenge. This first instalment is rather short as I'm pressed for time, but the next ones will hopefully be longer as I test the character limit on the posts. As always feedback is welcome. I'll try to get round to bringing feedback on some of the other stories when I'm not hurrying out the door.
    Krovennan Darksabre: Commanding officer of the U.S.S. Blacksabre-E NX-973484-E

I earned my Vet rewards with commitment, not cash.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In that case, VERY cool stuff there. Frankly, that made the piece for me. I mean, all of it is good, but THAT was really well done.

:D thank you very much!

At one point it was going to be the "Dagger of Rixx", with the Sacred Chalice of Rixx being used to cleanse oneself after a psionic assassination. Another was that the Holy Rings of Betazed were inscribed with the key to unlocking the ability of psionic assassination, and Lwaxana did so after Mr. Homn was killed.

But then I'd probably contradict something canon, so I left it at a legend where I could always claim that's the version Loranna heard as a child.

At least now I've got ammo for a future LC....maybe a trilogy..."Raiders of the Lost Dagger", "Rene Picard and the Temple of Rixx", and "Tasha Riker-Troi and the Psionic Crusade." :P
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    patrickngo wrote: »
    I'm so tempted to write this one from the killer's point of view.
    I'm planning to alternate between Eridian and the bad guy. It seems interesting to examine the conflict from both sides.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    destroyer831642destroyer831642 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Finally, done! After 14 pages on MS word, and over 4500 words, it's done. By all means, let me know what you think of it.
    9621eea4-a1f5-4e30-bb61-da044da2a5a7_zps2t6tasgd.png