test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cap Level Going To 60?

fletch57fletch57 Member Posts: 318 Arc User
I hear STO sometime later in 2014 might raise the cap level to 60? I don't know if I will like this.I have spent alot of time [and alittle money] building my tier 5 ships.does this mean they will be useless and outdated?can someone explain please?:eek:
Post edited by fletch57 on

Comments

• Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I don't think anyone properly knows what the plans are yet for level 60. That said, from what rumours I've read, the level increase wont affect ships. The Lock Box/Lobi Ships in addition to the Fleet Variety are likely to continue to be the top end ships. The community would riot if all Lock Box, Lobi and Fleet ships were suddenly replaced with something better.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Level cap increase has been stuck in "not next season but next or one after that" purgatory for almost as long as PVP. It's always been coming but never here.

However, they have said various times that they probably (with the big-ol Cryptic asterisk there) won't actually create a new tier of ships. Alternatives they've tossed around range from new progression systems to new crafting systems to new gameplay mechanics. Lots of ideas with no details generally means it's still in the "meeting room" phase of the dev process we've seen in a couple blogs.
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I have no idea about future ship cap raise to tier 6 but, if you do the shuttle pvp it says for level 50-59 so.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    fletch57 wrote: »
    I hear STO sometime later in 2014 might raise the cap level to 60? I don't know if I will like this.I have spent alot of time [and alittle money] building my tier 5 ships.does this mean they will be useless and outdated?can someone explain please?:eek:

The idea of a potential level cap increase has been in the upcoming content ideas for years. There is no plans to actually implement it, probably never will be... the REP system has taken place of rank advancement at level 50.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The devs have mentioned in Ask Cryptics about players becoming Full Admirals.

"Q: (cbp4964) Will we ever be able to send out bridge officers off on separate missions, or have them accompany us to battle in ships we assign them from our own selection?

Dstahl: We have some pretty awesome plans for when we increase ranks to Admiral level 60 which make good use of your bridge officers, ships, and crew. We ultimately want full Admirals to command their fleets. You?ll have to wait until at least Season 9 to get more details though."

"Q: (zalenrose) Can you give us more insight on the possibility for 1st Officers as playable characters and any plans for more depth in the Doff system like specializations or 1st Officer abilities?

Dstahl: The ability to convert your First Officer to a playable captain is something we?ve wanted to do for some time, but is not on any current schedule. We?re planning to revisit this when we eventually increase the level cap to Full Admiral. As far as Duty Officer improvements, we do plan on making some improvements to the system in 2013, including improving the UI and adding more functionality."

Obviously plans are subject to change and what Dan Stahl might have wanted could be counter to what Stephen D'Angelo wants. So the new EP could scrap certain plans that Dan Stahl was working on like introducing a level cap increase through some Admiral system that lets us control our own fleet, but without dev confirmation, there is no way to know what is scrapped and what is kept.
  • Options
    paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I am kinda struggling to see what the point would be though. Another tier of gear would TRIBBLE off a lot of people too so it amounts to what, a few more skill points, seems a bit odd. And while yes they could give something else, they can do any of that without adding another 10 levels to the numbers.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Considering the Ask Cryptic feature has long since retired, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the level 60 plans were retired also. Someone else leads the team now, and as it's an ever changing environment, I don't think anything that was said can still be taken as intended.

Nothing is official until it's on a Dev Blog, and even then it's subject to change.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    Considering the Ask Cryptic feature has long since retired, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the level 60 plans were retired also. Someone else leads the team now, and as it's an ever changing environment, I don't think anything that was said can still be taken as intended.

Nothing is official until it's on a Dev Blog, and even then it's subject to change.

As I mentioned in my last paragraph.
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone properly knows what the plans are yet for level 60. That said, from what rumours I've read, the level increase wont affect ships. The Lock Box/Lobi Ships in addition to the Fleet Variety are likely to continue to be the top end ships. The community would riot if all Lock Box, Lobi and Fleet ships were suddenly replaced with something better.
    No need to riot. Everyone will have great fun replacing their ships and all of their gear. It's what MMOs are all about!
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    starkaos wrote: »

"Q: (cbp4964) Will we ever be able to send out bridge officers off on separate missions, or have them accompany us to battle in ships we assign them from our own selection?

Dstahl: We have some pretty awesome plans for when we increase ranks to Admiral level 60 which make good use of your bridge officers, ships, and crew. We ultimately want full Admirals to command their fleets. You?ll have to wait until at least Season 9 to get more details though."

"Q: (zalenrose) Can you give us more insight on the possibility for 1st Officers as playable characters and any plans for more depth in the Doff system like specializations or 1st Officer abilities?

Dstahl: The ability to convert your First Officer to a playable captain is something we?ve wanted to do for some time, but is not on any current schedule. We?re planning to revisit this when we eventually increase the level cap to Full Admiral. As far as Duty Officer improvements, we do plan on making some improvements to the system in 2013, including improving the UI and adding more functionality."

Obviously plans are subject to change and what Dan Stahl might have wanted could be counter to what Stephen D'Angelo wants. So the new EP could scrap certain plans that Dan Stahl was working on like introducing a level cap increase through some Admiral system that lets us control our own fleet, but without dev confirmation, there is no way to know what is scrapped and what is kept.

ahh yes another one of stahls crazy plans failing to materialize. thats nothing new.

when the level 60 cap comes we will know of it, untl then, whats the point in speculating about it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    paspinall wrote: »
    I am kinda struggling to see what the point would be though. Another tier of gear would TRIBBLE off a lot of people too so it amounts to what, a few more skill points, seems a bit odd. And while yes they could give something else, they can do any of that without adding another 10 levels to the numbers.

Yeah, I really don't care about increasing the level cap until there's actually a challenge worthy of the current gear. Elite STFs are already a joke with a coordinated group.
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'd really like to know what would be the point of an increased level cap. Why more levels just to... Have more levels?
    A lot of newer games remove leveling from the beginning and that's for the better in my opinion.

I'd prefer more additional profession through the rep system, if that were handled better.

And for the "if we become full admiral", I know I'm alone on that... I don't want to be full admiral. I dont even want to be vice admiral. I want to be captain .Rank and level should not be connected at all...
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    There is absolutely no point for a level cap increase without introducing a new system like the Admiral system due to the Reputation system. The Reputation system serves every single need for a level cap increase except for more skill points. The Reputation system has new equipment, new zones, new quests, new passive powers, and new abilities without people outleveling their equipment. In fact, an Admiral system could be attached to the Reputation system.
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If the new LEVEL cap is 60, I only hope the new RANK cap is Captain (for new characters, grandfathering in existing VAs).

It was stupid to tie level and rank together.

If they finally made end game RANK Captain as it should have been at launch (following canon), they could have UNLIMITED LEVEL increases in the future without having the need to tie the new LEVEL content to a rank title.

The damage is already done, retroactively making this change would just confuse players.

Besides, the whole rank system is pretty ridiculous in terms of story anyway. Cadet Snowflake never would've been given command of a ship no matter how desperate Starfleet was for Captains, neither would some random Romulan farmhand. The Klingon story is the only believable one.

It's just a game.
  • Options
    fletch57fletch57 Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    thanks alot for the input guys. I hope they leave everything as is.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    fletch57 wrote: »

Please no. Because that means we will now outrank every mission giver in the entire game apart from Fleet Admiral Quinn, Chancellor J'mpok, and D'Tan. And that just makes the railroading even more ridiculous than it already is.

As highlighted in the recent FE, in fact. I, and every other O-9 player character in existence, was getting unavoidably ordered around by an O-5 (Subcommander Kaol), a gaggle of O-6s (the flagship captains) and an O-7 (Tuvok). Military ranks do not work that way.

Sorry, Tuvok, but being a better-written and -acted character than anybody else on VOY apart from the Doctor does not mean you get to order around somebody who outranks you by two pay grades. If I'm going to have to be an admiral, I want to be ****ing treated like one. Otherwise Cryptic should have just capped ranks at captain.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    If Cryptic does increase the level cap to level 60 and introduce Tier 6 ships, then the Admiral system would be a way to make our C-Store, Fleet, and Lockbox Ships not useless. Promote Bridge Officers to Captain and have them command those ships while only your character can command Tier 6 ships. It would be awfully stupid on Cryptic's part to introduce Tier 6 ships while not giving some way to make our ships still relevant.
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Raising a level cap to 60 does not automatically mean the introduction of tier 6 ships and tier 5 ships will get buffed by the players increased skill level. That said we can't have improvement without accepting that at some point what we have will someday become obsolete.
    Either way, as others have mentioned, until it shows up in a dev blog, until it's actually being tested on Tribble, it isn't going to happen and I for one would really hope that they at least spend some time looking at the growing list of bugs before they bury them even deeper under more content with more problems.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's a difficult topic, nobody wants their endgame gear to become useless due to a level cap raise, especially if the gear, like say, a MVAE or a fleet ship, was paid for.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    suuperduudesuuperduude Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I personally don't think we'll ever see a rank increase. That would almost require new content and missions, and let's face it, we haven't seen that really in a long time. Throw away featured episodes excepted.
    --
    Lion Heart of Hammer Squadron
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'd really like to know what would be the point of an increased level cap. Why more levels just to... Have more levels?

I don't understand it on the basis that unless level 51-60 are paced very, very differently from the current it would be a major overhaul for what- 2 hours of time from the servers going back up to everyone making 60? :confused:

Seriously, currently "leveling" is all but a joke anyway, why would we want to extend the punchline? And that's without even getting into ship tiers/obsolescence, moving Reps and every other "endgame" activity to 60, and the Klingons still having to get to level 24 before they can start mining. -snicker-
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    and the Klingons still having to get to level 24 before they can start mining. -snicker-
    No to mention not being able to wear most of their wardrobe. :rolleyes:
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Before his reassignment Stahl stated that WHEN the level cap increases there would be no ship tier increase.

At most they'd add in a new "upgrade" feature that would allow you to buy a preset number of ship upgrades bringing it in line with what you'd expect a highly decorated Admiral to be flying.
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If we see a level cap increase I am thinking Mk XII and T5 fleet ships would still be the top tier gear and ships. The raise to 60 will probably just involve added XP and abilities such as Tactical/Engineering/Science Fleet III, Strike Team/Engineering Proficiency/Scientific Aptitude III, and whatever mechanics they add for Admirals at the true endgame. This and hopefully more storyline content to fill in the extra levels.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Best thing that could happen to this game would be to remove levels entirely

Which means Cryptic will figure out the polar opposite and do that instead
  • Options
    nathraelnathrael Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's a difficult topic, nobody wants their endgame gear to become useless due to a level cap raise, especially if the gear, like say, a MVAE or a fleet ship, was paid for.

One way I could see it working well is the way you get a "Tier 6" ship is you take an existing Tier 5 endgame ship class, then do a special rep project and/or get an upgrade package for it in the c-store/lobi store.

It ties the current ships integrally into the newer vessels, as opposed to just making the Tier 5's all obsolete. That would indeed be a horrid thing.
  • Options
    priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited February 2014
    I would be OK with going up to 60 and getting some new skill points and abilities, but I think gear needs to stay at Mk XII (.5) and ships at Tier 5 (.5) for the max. I'd... really hate to gear my toons again. I also wouldn't mind having an "upgrade" option for ships for a single ship module (or similar 500 zen thing) that would add another console slot wherever we wanted it.
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    nathrael wrote: »
    One way I could see it working well is the way you get a "Tier 6" ship is you take an existing Tier 5 endgame ship class, then do a special rep project and/or get an upgrade package for it in the c-store/lobi store.
    If everybody can upgrade their stuff, what is the point of the level bump? Everybody at 50 would go to 60... seriously what is the point?
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Please no. Because that means we will now outrank every mission giver in the entire game apart from Fleet Admiral Quinn, Chancellor J'mpok, and D'Tan. And that just makes the railroading even more ridiculous than it already is.

As highlighted in the recent FE, in fact. I, and every other O-9 player character in existence, was getting unavoidably ordered around by an O-5 (Subcommander Kaol), a gaggle of O-6s (the flagship captains) and an O-7 (Tuvok). Military ranks do not work that way.

Sorry, Tuvok, but being a better-written and -acted character than anybody else on VOY apart from the Doctor does not mean you get to order around somebody who outranks you by two pay grades. If I'm going to have to be an admiral, I want to be ****ing treated like one. Otherwise Cryptic should have just capped ranks at captain.

He orders you around because the Joint command structure is NOT the starfleet command structure, Kaol, Regardless of your respective ranks, is in command of the operation , and thus, you will do as he commands while conducting operations in the Dyson Sphere

"The concept of chain of command also implies that higher rank alone does not entitle a higher-ranking service member to give commands to anyone of lower rank. For example, an officer of unit "A" does not directly command lower-ranking members of unit "B", and is generally expected to approach an officer of unit "B" if he requires action by members of that unit. The chain of command means that individual members take orders from only one superior and only give orders to a defined group of people immediately below them."

If an officer of unit "A" does give orders directly to a lower-ranked member of unit "B", it would be considered highly unusual (a faux pas, or extraordinary circumstances, such as a lack of time or inability to confer with the officer in command of unit "B") as officer "A" would be seen as subverting the authority of the officer of unit "B". Depending on the situation or the standard procedure of the military organization, the lower-ranked member being ordered may choose to carry out the order anyway, or advise that it has to be cleared with his or her own chain of command first, which in this example would be with officer "B".

In this instance, You are in command of your ship unit "A" and you will approach Tuvok, commander of unit "B" before commandering whats left of his team, since your not his teams commander, they are not necessarily in direct command of Tuvok and cooper
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......