test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A monument to a Starfleet Icon

stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
Only a suggestion for cryptic.
As most of us know,leonard nimoy is now not in the best of health.May god bless him.
Cryptic,as a tribute to this starfleet super star,I think there should be a monument to him on both earth and on vulcan itself.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    He isnt dead

people with COPD can live for years with it.

my own father has it and has been living with it for over ten years and had been told although he wont live until he is 90 odd he will live a long life.

so lets not jump the gun yet.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    As much as I love Nemoy, Id rather see a monument to DeForest Kelly, or James Dohan first.
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Why just him? Just because Nimoy happens to be in poor health now. What about the other Star Trek legends who have pre-deceased him? DeForest Kelley? James Doohan? Majel Barrett? How about Gene Roddenberry who actually created the Star Trek universe?
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    He isn't dead.

Exactly.

It seems just a little bit tasteless to talk about the man as if he's passed on, while still very much alive.
  • Options
    agentexeideragentexeider Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    He isnt dead

my own father has it and has been living with it for over ten years and had been told although he wont live until he is 90 odd he will live a long life.

then your dad is a lucky one, most people with COPD don't make it past then 3-5 year mark.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's like people are trying to kill the man off already.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    stuart1965 wrote: »
    As most of us know,leonard nimoy is now not in the best of health.May god bless him.
    Cryptic,as a tribute to this starfleet super star,I think there should be a monument to him on both earth and on vulcan itself.
    then your dad is a lucky one, most people with COPD don't make it past then 3-5 year mark.

Although I thank you for your comment about my dad being luck..

that u say that shows ur not very clued up on the illness.

COPD is very manageable and not a death sentence anymore
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    johankreigjohankreig Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    alonar wrote: »
    As much as I love Nemoy, Id rather see a monument to DeForest Kelly, or James Dohan first.

I second this, while having a monument to Lenonard would be great, I think remembering those stars who are no longer wish us would be more fitting, I also, like many others, wish Mr Nemoy the best of luck in his recovery and long life, the age old Vulkan saying comes to mind, Live Long and Prosper Spock
    Jorhana Kreig: KDF, Tal'is: Romulan Fed, Shona'a: Romulan KDF, Johan Paul Kreig: Fed
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Indeed. Though he's frail, Mr. Nimoy is traveling still.

As for monuments, Cryptic won't do it (for Star Trek stars). When Michael Ansara (Kang) died, they didn't put up a monument. And there still none for Gene and Majel as well. You think out of all the people in Star Trek, he would have a tribute in this game.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

As for monuments, Cryptic won't do it. When Michael Ansara (Kang) died, they didn't put up a monument. And there still none for Gene and Majel as well. You think out of all the people in Star Trek, he would have a tribute in this game.

yet there is one for a fallen developer/member of staff, such a shame, perhaps a dedicated world could be created as a monument world, where all the fallen can be remembered.
    Jorhana Kreig: KDF, Tal'is: Romulan Fed, Shona'a: Romulan KDF, Johan Paul Kreig: Fed
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    johankreig wrote: »
    yet there is one for a fallen developer/member of staff, such a shame, perhaps a dedicated world could be created as a monument world, where all the fallen can be remembered.

You misunderstood my post.

I know that they made a monument for Mr. Valentine. I'm saying they won't make one for Star Trek stars or anyone involved with Star Trek itself.
  • Options
    anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Nimoy may have hated those 'itchy pyjamas' of The Original Series but he has been present all over Trek these decades; right up to Abrams' movies.

May you still live long and prosper, Leonard.
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • Options
    captainaramdacaptainaramda Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The overall sentiment here is to create a monument to all of our Star Trek universe legends. Those that created/brought to life the universe we so enjoy today. Living or not, I second the suggestion that a Grand Monument to the Star Trek stars/characters who brought life to our fascination.

Long Live Star Trek, Long Live all of our icons living or "passed beyond the rim".

In short, 2 monuments. One for Star Trek Online members, and one for the Legends who brought it to us in the first place.
  • Options
    oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    COPD is very manageable and not a death sentence anymore

Depends on what you have. COPD is just a generic term encompassing many different afflictions. For example, I have COPD myself. Specifically, I have severe emphysema with less than 25% lung function. I have, at most, five years left. There is no cure and the treatments (inhalers, oxygen) I have are only there to help make me comfortable until I die. So no-one can really say how much longer Mr. Nimoy will be with us without knowing exactly what he has. Hopefully he'll be with us for many years to come. Good luck Mr. Nimoy.
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Depends on what you have. COPD is just a generic term encompassing many different afflictions. For example, I have COPD myself. Specifically, I have severe emphysema with less than 25% lung function. I have, at most, five years left. There is no cure and the treatments (inhalers, oxygen) I have are only there to help make me comfortable until I die.

Sorry to hear that :(.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    johankreig wrote: »
    I second this, while having a monument to Lenonard would be great, I think remembering those stars who are no longer wish us would be more fitting, I also, like many others, wish Mr Nemoy the best of luck in his recovery and long life, the age old Vulkan saying comes to mind, Live Long and Prosper Spock

isn't this game in itself a monument to star trek in all its incarnations and all the people who helped to make it live from all the actors we all know and love right on down to the guy who brought them coffee.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    herbiehdykemanherbiehdykeman Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    personally I think there should be an in-game memorial to the crew of the NCC-1701 Enterprise
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    although called the mark valantine memorial does not the words we honor those who have gone before, does this not apply to all the people who were in some way involved in the creation of this much loved show.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    He isnt dead

as much as it pains me to state it but nimoy is 82 years old already, hes been diagnosed and frankly with his advanced years, i wouldnt expect his body to keep up with it for too much longer. its a part of life with old age (that wasnt meant to be rude).one day he will be sleeping and that would be it.

i hope not, but unfortunately it may end up that way and if it does i hope he passes with as much self respect and dignity and as little pain as possible.

il tell you something else as well, one of these days my own father will end up like this and unable to make the choice himself (i hope not to see it for a while but could be alot sooner as hes almost 70 with precarious health at best). i would end his suffering then let what little dignity the man has with his self respect go down the toilet for one more agonizing day in pain. in the uk i wouldnt be able to do that but other places would be able to help me with this if that dreaded day comes.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    stuart1965 wrote: »

No offense intended, but how about waiting to put up a tombstone until there's someone in the tomb? Let's not bury him until he actually dies, hmmmm?

Nevermind Starfleet Academy already having a monument dedicated to "those who have gone before," which pretty much covers anyone involved with Trek.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    No offense intended, but how about waiting to put up a tombstone until there's someone in the tomb? Let's not bury him until he actually dies, hmmmm?

I agree, hence my suggestion of having a world dedicated to memorialse those who have passed into the next sector.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You people are Vultures
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    you People Are Vultures

Agreed!.........
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited February 2014

As for monuments, Cryptic won't do it (for Star Trek stars). When Michael Ansara (Kang) died, they didn't put up a monument. And there still none for Gene and Majel as well. You think out of all the people in Star Trek, he would have a tribute in this game.

indeed. Dungeons and dragons online created a monument to Gary gygax when he died. for those who dont know, Gary Gygax was one of the creators of dungeons and dragons.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    You people are Vultures

How does not wanting to declare Nimoy dead until he's actually dead make me a vulture? :confused:
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    How does not wanting to declare Nimoy dead until he's actually dead make me a vulture? :confused:

He's talking about the people who keep making these threads and act like Nimoy is going to drop dead any second. Almost like they're trying to kill him off before he barely gets past his diagnosis.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No major Star Trek actor or actress has died since Star Trek Online was launched. There are a ton of actors and actresses that have aired in a few Star Trek episodes and tons of people that are responsible for doing the behind the scenes work that have died between January 1, 2010 to February 1, 2014.

Although, if William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Patrick Stewart, or any other major Star Trek actor or actress died during the life of Star Trek Online, then a memorial should be created in the game for them. Although, Cryptic could add a Memorial Wall for all the people that have worked on Star Trek that have died during Star Trek Online's life.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The funny thing about the TOS crew in TNG was that they weren't treated as being heroes or special. Admiral McCoy was just an admiral getting a tour of the ship. No one even knew who Scotty was. Spock was only special because he was an ambassador. Even Kirk wasn't oohed and aahed over.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.