test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Had to reinstall STO again for the 3rd time in 3 months

summerrenobaumsummerrenobaum Member Posts: 28 Arc User
edited February 2014 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Every time you roll out a major change I have to re-install STO. How about putting the sandwich down for 5 mins and actually code the game properly. Can you do that?
Post edited by summerrenobaum on

Comments

• jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Why do you have to reinstall STO every time there's a major update? I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of players don't have to do that, which suggests there may be a problem on your end.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • summerrenobaumsummerrenobaum Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Not really, a lot of players I know have the same problem. I'm just one of the few that complains on the boards about it.

Every time there is a major rollout the game constantly crashes. I wish I knew what the problem was, but it's not my job to know. It's happened so much I been playing Star Wars recently, no crashes there. I assure you the problem isn't on my end as I been told that lame excuse before.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Meanwhile I've had this install for 2 years and fine. I copied and pasted the folder once when I moved from Windows 7 to 8, and once to copy the game to a 2nd computer. Never a problem with it. Makes me wonder what else you're running on that PC.
    edited February 2014
    It would help with the crash handler if there was any clue as to what caused the issue. I only run a few programs at once, the same programs I use with STWOR. Nothing out of the ordinary, Chrome, IRC clients, sometimes I upload with filezilla.

If I had to guess it's something with the default permissions when applying updates. But again, I don't have to do this with any other program. When it downloads a new update on the launcher it gives me an error, but when I run it as admin it gets the update. I shouldn't have to run the launcher as admin though.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Nothing out of the ordinary, Chrome, IRC clients, sometimes I upload with filezilla.

The 90s called, they want their chat client back. :D
    edited February 2014
    Actually,. IRC is alive and doing quiet well.
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    How 'bout the specs? A bit more detail?
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
  • twoofnine1twoofnine1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    team-viewer does this there are others as well ie.. (after the pre patch i have run the game without lucid virtu mvp once or it crashs) also i have found SFTP with filezilla mess's with the patch sever
    edited February 2014
    Are you getting the Cryptic Error Tracker when these crashes occur?

If so, under the box where it asks for what was happening at the time of the crash will be an Error Tracker number. If you happen to have that number I can look it up and see if I can learn what the problem might be. As I expect you probably don't have this number available, all I can suggest is that if/when it happens again, please post a report in the forum and include the number. Also, feel free to PM me with the Error Tracker number and I'll see what I can find out.
    STO QA Team
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I shouldn't have to run the launcher as admin though.

Umm, if the launcher is updating files that the Windows OS flags as "Only an Admin level account can do this" - yes, you do. Developers can't (legally) write code to circumvent the Windows OS (XP, 7, or 8) security protocols.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014

If I had to guess it's something with the default permissions when applying updates. But again, I don't have to do this with any other program. When it downloads a new update on the launcher it gives me an error, but when I run it as admin it gets the update. I shouldn't have to run the launcher as admin though.
    Umm, if the launcher is updating files that the Windows OS flags as "Only an Admin level account can do this" - yes, you do. Developers can't (legally) write code to circumvent the Windows OS (XP, 7, or 8) security protocols.

The thing is, if Admin rights are needed to run the STO, this does indicate a issue with File/Directory permissions... Things that could cause this include...

• Copying the STO file directory from one system to another, without running the STO installation program at least once before hand, to set up directory permissions.
    • STO was installed with 'Admin' permissions in effect... (A bad idea...)
    • Something else running as 'Admin' (such as a Anti-Virus utility) tweaked the file and changed the file permissions...

On my own system, I've never had the need to run the STO Client Launcher, (or even ARC) with Admin permissions...