test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Broken Keybinds

rayethrayeth Member Posts: 18 Arc User
edited August 2014 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Just logged into the game and found a glaring issue. I use a Logitec G510 keyboard, and I have several of the macro keys programmed to open various functions like the character screen, inventory, etc. In the profiling software, these buttons are correctly assigned, but they are not working in game. The character status button opens the fleet window and the inventory button causes my character to crouch.

Also half the key-bindings were not present when I went into the options menu. I use the Dvorak keyboard layout, and instead of WASD, I use the buttons ,AOE. The O button was currently set to open the People window, and I could not assign it to anything else in game, though I was able to correct the issue by re-loading my keybinds file.
I found a plot hole! NURSE!
Post edited by rayeth on

Comments

• reddwarf86reddwarf86 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I can confirm this issue with the Dvorak keyboard layout: http://youtu.be/9FG3DeQ-eSE

When I switch back and forth between QWERTY and Dvorak, the only things that change are the standard movement keys. Everything else, such as the social O, the Inventory I, the Status U, stays the same. Attempting to "Reset to Defaults" does nothing, no matter which keyboard layout I used.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kane53kane53 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    key bindings are not working for me tryed switchin the pitch up and down so they work properly and it resets back to default
  • rayethrayeth Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    A workaround I found, and posted in the other thread on this topic is if you swap between shooter and RPG controls, it will temporarily fix this issue until you load a zone. Unfortunately it doesn't work in space combat, but at least it will let you play ground missions alright.
  • wininoidwininoid Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I also use the Dvorak layout via the Windows Language Bar http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/language-bar-overview#1TC=windows-7

I was fine until the 8.5 patch, and now have the problem described. Changing to shooter mode and back in the keybinds menu helps, though not all keys work properly after, and it varies by character.

I just removed Dvorak from my layout and rebooted. Now STO behaves normally. The root of the problem, for me, seems to be in how the client interacts with alternate keyboard settings.

I went on to re-add Dvorak as a layout, but I left standard US as the default. I rebooted, and it worked normally.

Then I set Dvorak as the default, rebooted, and the problem was back.

I re-set standard US as the default, rebooted, and the game worked normally.

It is annoying to not have Dvorak as the standard keyboard, but everything at least works.

THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM: Appears to be when you have something other than Standard US as the default keyboard layout/language.
    edited February 2014
    Interesting thought. I'd like you to try two things for me if you don't mind. First, if you can, hot-switch between Dvorak and QWERTY when playing the game, I had to do this in some older games I used to play by hitting ALT + Shift or CTRL + Shift to swap layouts on command, even though I had Dvorak as default, I still had the standard keyboard as an option.

Also, while in the QWERTY layout, try to re-assign some things like O for social, make it something else like inventory and see if the re-binding sticks.

Edit:

I just tried the hot switching option. In the qwerty layout the S key was not assigned, and it still opened the social window for some reason. Even switching to defaults did not fix this...
  • wininoidwininoid Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    With Qwerty as default, I can log in, and everything works, but typing in chat is qwerty. But then I can CTRL-Shift to change to Dvorak. Now the controls still work properly, but chat is in Dvorak, and it works the same after zoning (i.e. everything is the way it was before the 8.5 patch).

I can't go the other way though. If Dvorak is the default, STO has the problem described and CTRL-Shift doesn't help.
    edited February 2014
    Interesting, I'll have to try it as a work around. Hopefully this gets resolved soon...
  • kane53kane53 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    key bindings seem to be bugged still trying to switch the inverted controls to something where the ship puches up with "W" key and piches down with the "S" key and it wont let me change it
  • snookytlcsnookytlc Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I also am having a problem changing Pitch Up and Pitch Down to make sense. The default switches them so W is Pitch Down, and S is Pitch Up, which is NOT intuitive. Space battles are challenging enough for me without constantly correcting myself. When I go in to make the switch manually, it won't let me assign both changes -- it will accept one or the other, then blank out the first one I changed when I try to make the second change.

HELP!!

This is with a new character, BTW. Oddly enough, when I logged into an old character, created more than year ago, the keyboard controls worked fine. Until I broke them, and can't get the proper layout to stick.
  • t2tcbt2tcb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Same problem. My keyboard no longer allows me to walk in ground mode or pitch in ship mode with W, A, S, D, etc. It also will not let me change the keys. The only keys that seem to work are the arrow keys and spacebar.
  • blhugheswinblhugheswin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    apply the swap of W and S in the Bind #2 slots and clear Bind #1