test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Idea] New Foundry 'Gateway' and Sector Space interfaces

Comments

• yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    THIS would be really nice to have!
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Why is this standing in "The Art of Star Trek Online"? Push it everywhere, this one improves gameplay for all factions. ****, I wanna have this right now. Flying around doing random missions.
    Push this thread, everyone ;)

He needed the art section to post the pics. It would be nice to see general player reactions in the general forum though. There is a double post in the Foundry section, and I've not seen one author disagree with the logic and common sense of this setup.

Thanks for the encouragement to push. I hope that we keep this thread active.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    He needed the art section to post the pics. It would be nice to see general player reactions in the general forum though. There is a double post in the Foundry section, and I've not seen one author disagree with the logic and common sense of this setup.

Thanks for the encouragement to push. I hope that we keep this thread active.

100% agree with KirkFat.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This would solve so many problems, I hope the devs are reading this.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • onyxheart1onyxheart1 Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    100% agree with the OP

i rarely play foundry content anymore, except for the odd grinder mission to make some spare EC

it's just been very difficult to find missions i like, even by authors i know of

hell if such a revamp was put in i might see about getting into foundry authoring, i have a few ideas swimming around in my head that would like to see the light of day ^^
    KDF for Life! <3 Romulan at Heart <3 Fed cause they made me ~ :P
    signature-omega.png
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My name is Adm. Jolson Faln.. and I approve this thread ;)
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • waaagh951waaagh951 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is NEEDED!
    please cryptic. we authors need this badly.
    edited January 2014
    waaagh951 wrote: »
    This is NEEDED!
    please cryptic. we authors need this badly.

This right here.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I believe this requires a proper attention of the dev team, because this idea is brilliant. :):)
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I believe this requires a proper attention of the dev team, because this idea is brilliant. :):)

Yes, it would be nice to know if anyone has read this thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • donrahdonrah Member Posts: 348
    edited January 2014
    As someone that is dissatisfied with the state of the game, I would greatly appreciate implementation of the OP's proposal.
    Go here and show your support for a better Foundry!
    edited January 2014
    Why have the devs not commented on this yet?
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Why have the devs not commented on this yet?

They don't comment on the vast majority of ideas, good or bad.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    edited January 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    They don't comment on the vast majority of ideas, good or bad.

Oh I know they don't, but this idea is in desperate need.
  • xsilvermanxxsilvermanx Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Why weren't the devs insta-convinced? I guess everyone who read this thread properly has been ^^
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wow this is awesome, how come the devs keep ignoring this?
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How come I didn't stumble upon this thread before? :confused:

Anyway these ideas have my full support, something like this is much needed and I believe it will vastly improve the gaming experience of the STO players.

/signed.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • donrahdonrah Member Posts: 348
    edited January 2014
    This would be even better if you could use the foundry to level up your avatar. That way, each and every captain has their own personal story behind their distinguished career.
    Go here and show your support for a better Foundry!
    edited February 2014
    I think you can level up with Foundry mission, it'll take only a "tad" longer ;)
    Like your idea though, could be kinda awesome RP-wise, if you found good missions.
    Also, this is "not" a push, and hopefully never will be a necro :-p
  • abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 649 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This is a great idea, and I really like the way you have the interface set up. A good clean and easy to use UI and search function would be a huge benefit to the foundry. It might even encourage me to take a look, since at present I don't use the foundry at all.

Thanks to starswordc for linking this thread.
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This would be freaking amazing... I have no idea why Cryptic hasn't added something like this yet, honestly.
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    mvp333 wrote: »
    This would be freaking amazing... I have no idea why Cryptic hasn't added something like this yet, honestly.
    It doesn't generate any revenue (short term, at least).
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This is a great concept. The only thing it's missing is a separate category for campaigns (i.e. multi-mission series, which Neverwinter already supports and is allegedly on its way to STO as well). Campaigns should have a dedicated search queue, so that those missions and standalones don't get in each other's way in search results. That would be even more helpful than a Next button for getting people's missions exposed.
  • kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think I have never encountered a more committed, innovative and passionate community (Foundry authors and users in STO) on the one side; and such a neglecting, equanimous and ignoring team (Cryptic) on the other...

The past 2 years for the Foundry have been nothing but frustrating. It is too bad that the Foundry in STO has never been planned to be more than a testbed for Neverwinter. Although the Devs miraculously announced to implement "subscribe-to-author" and "create-sorted-string-of-missions" features "within 2014" I would be very surprised if any effort worth mentioning is going to be put in this tool in the foreseeable future. The past 2 years just tell a story that does NOT contain any commitment to it whatsoever.
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, it's sad that such a great thread goes rather unnoticed. However it may be the wrong section for constant player-reads, still devs should be reading them all (or have someone read nearly all threads and ideas, high-rated ideas shouldn't go unnoticed) and tell so. So we wouldn't have to up the thread every 19 days :-p
  • crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    This thread was brought to my attention, and I have passed the info on to the team. No promises, but it has been seen.
    STO QA Team
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    This thread was brought to my attention, and I have passed the info on to the team. No promises, but it has been seen.

They you Frosty....
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is an amazing idea and I hope to Q it happens soon.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • playhard88playhard88 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Good idea, cryptic's concept of UX is terrible.
    John Sheridan@playhard88 - FED Tactical
    Vin Naftero@playhard88 - FED Sciencie
    K'tan@playhard88 - KDF Tactical
    Argento@playhard88 - RRF Tactical (FED)
  • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    They do a pretty good job as far as I'm concerned. I think they've just got so caught up in trying to turn out a chunk of "new content" (aliens, ships, weapons, storyline) for every release, they haven't much time to look further. But really, if they could only get it working for them properly, they have in the Foundry the biggest source of new "content" on tap that a game could want!