test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #41

13»

Comments

• shomrimshomrim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    We need more dilithium rewards and maybe an increase in daily refining limits. Our small fleet is having a REALLY hard time getting the 300,000 plus dilithium amounts for the upgrades on starbase, spire, embassy, etc.
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mamif3 wrote: »
    Mirror invasion and dilithium mining. What will happen to them....

Dilithium mining bonus up all the time with the daily? A dilithum mining weekend event is stupid.

Mirror invasion up at all times and remove the dilithum rewards?? Wondering how I will level alts. The missions are great but not after your 5th character.
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    Would be nice if the devs bother to answer this, but I know you wont, anyways, the problems with the hourly events, it is that they are hard to find, newer players don't have a clue about where to go, what to do, who to contact, these hourly events are like Bigfoot, everybody talks about them, but no one has seen one.

We need to be able to have a link where we can click like we do for normal PVE events and have some kind of slot that reads (HORLY EVENT click here). The the events needs to give us the opportunity to click something that will warped us there so we don't spend 3 hours running through the galaxy trying to find out where the heck is XY22
    mutualcore wrote: »
    It isn't even the leveling. VAs are doing it for the expertise. The amount needed after you get to 50 to do all the reps and then purchase rep items is high.

what all of these people saud. cant do anything except say this is a bad thing and just ment to nerf our farming abilities even more. gonna make for great fun im sure. and yes that was some sarcasim.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    shomrim wrote: »
    We need more dilithium rewards and maybe an increase in daily refining limits. Our small fleet is having a REALLY hard time getting the 300,000 plus dilithium amounts for the upgrades on starbase, spire, embassy, etc.

dilithium is easy to get even for my fleet (now a 1 man fleet lol ) , refining it is another matter with the 8k a day cap . my main toon has 1.4 million dilithium ore waiting to be refined , and the amount keeps growing despite the 8k that I refine per day
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think once dil mine is at tier one instead of a discount to projects it should allow us to use unrefined dil for donations. that would fix the dil problem for fleets and still make us stick to the 8k refined limit to buy items with. killing two birds with one stone.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As far as Fleet Marks go, just give us a daily mission wrapper that will give us 100-150 bonus Fleet Marks for completing any three queued Fleet Marks-granting missions. That would address the "not available every day" part and would grant about as many extra Fleet Marks as one hour's grinding under the hourly event version gave.
  • wayofderawayofdera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My suggestion would be to have this new system, run an entire week. That way, those who work in RL on the weekend, have a chance to catch the fun during the week. Events start after the regular maintenance every Thursday, and run till the following thursday. That way, there is always an event going on, but way more focused, as well as each event only happening once every 2 months(ish).
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I call this blurring the lines...
    ...we are going to increase the rewards dramatically. The recent Dyson Sphere Weekend is a great example of our change in direction. By giving between a 50% and 100% bonus to mark rewards, we saw lots of players playing together and participating in the event.

To compensate for the increased rewards, we will be running these events less frequently. Instead of having a new event run every hour, we will be running events for several days centering around a weekend. While the events will be less frequent, the larger rewards, along with the extended time they?ll be active, should net larger returns for all players.
    ...the larger rewards, along with the extended time they?ll be active, should net larger returns for all players.

Clarity please.

Within the older calendar system, the Mirror Universe event runs once a day. Seven hours per week. If you reduced the occurrence of the event down to four hours, the 50% bonus in rewards would be the same as seven hours. Players would not gain anything from the new reward system.

How many times is an event going to run on the weekend?

How many weekends will it take for an event to come back around?

Will the events run normal on the weekdays?
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think it is a good idea to keep the hourly bonus marks event during the weekends. It was kept on the calendar this past weekend, and gave us a little break from running the same thing all weekend. We still got our bonus marks for Dyson, and even got some bonus marks of another type while on a break.

I get that you are trying to make the game feel more like a community, but at the same time, if you limit a lot of freedom that all of your players have, you will have a community of a lot of unhappy people.

This past weekend's numbers should not only show you that a lot of us would like a bonus marks weekend, but they should also like to have a little break from focusing on the same thing ALL weekend long. If not for the hourly bonus marks event, and other calendar events that I like running through the weekend, I would have lost interest in playing Dyson for the foreseeable future. Thankfully there was some other stuff on the calendar to do.

Also, there is something I am worried about.

"We will be taking a close look at how each of these events performs and community feedback ? we?ll take both into account when making new events or updating existing ones."

My concern is this: I how much interest will be on the events, and how much will be on player feedback?

For example: If everyone in the game doesn't like something, but doing it is the only way to get what you need to progress the rep system at a reasonable pace, then almost everyone will still do it.

DISCLAIMER: I know that "everyone" is not going to hate it.

But, my point is that we do it because it is the only way to get what we need, but most of the player feedback shows it is agreed to be a bad plan, will the fact that people are doing it prevent it from being tweaked, or fixed?

Please keep in mind, I am not saying it is a horrible idea. I really like that we can have a whole weekend to get bonus marks. Due to health problems, I need to play according to my health. This means that I have missed a LOT of events over the last 6 months that I started playing.

I am just concerned that with a "new captain", that we will not be heard. I have already seen it in the past 6 months, and in post that were written before I started playing.

The developers are working hard to give us what they think will keep us playing. I think that is good. But why not ask us, or ask for suggestions? For one, I would love to see a shuttle event like the new one in SWTOR. It is more balanced, and fair. Plus, it has a lot more people in one PVP map. It is the only thing I really like about SWTOR, but it is better than the shuttle PVP we have now.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • pyrogxmk3pyrogxmk3 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As many have said before; The entire reason so many events were being ignored is that they gave nothing of interest.

Let's take Metaphasic and Crafting hours: The two are inextricably linked, for obvious reasons. Yet since the crafting was falling behind even the [Borg] gear back when MACO/KHG were two now-very-lonely vendors on DS9, there's not that much reason to do it. Then the full reputation and fleet systems came in. So of course no one's going to touch those events!

Mining hour gets used a bit, but if you're flying a lot of missions, unrefined dilithium's not a worry. For those that don't, it's not that common and at very varying hours, so we're lucky to get to be around for it once a week. We're not ignoring dilithium mining hour on purpose so much as logging in and seeing "oh. there's just one, at 4am tomorrow morning".

The Foundry one gets used, but can easily be missed rewards-wise. Start a mission at 20 past, and next thing you know the bonus hour's up and you're still wondering how long this self-insert is going to prattle on [they can't all be touching tales like "Admiral Bobo goes to war"].

Vault is just one mission. Once in a while, okay, but the focus is so heavily on giant cruisers that small ships, especially those in the actual shuttle scale we can use for this stuff, get left out quite a bit.

Bonus Marks gets used plenty. We need marks on a constant basis, of varying types on a constant basis. This is the one that weekending is going to harm.

An entire weekend at a time was fine as a one-off like this Dyson, but perhaps if instead the schedule were extended to twice the current durations?
  • skyecolyoskyecolyo Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I just want to know what is going to happen to Mirror Invasion... it's the best way to level alts and I'd rather we didn't lose it.
  • eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Frankly I do not like these changes. I do not think to be the only one who can play only in the evening and the current event system is perfect to me because if one day or 2 days I can't play a certain event for sure I will play it the next day. The new system will deny me to play the event I like/need (ex. The bonus mark I play to grind fleetmark) even for weeks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • roebotsixtyfiveroebotsixtyfive Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's a well known fact that only about 5-10 people actually care about the Vault Shuttle Event. But, as it has been stated about [Error] times, many people rely on the hourly events such as Dil Mining, Mirror Invasion and Bonus Marks to get their daily dilithium. Doubling/Tripling the rewards for 2-3 days for just one of these and removing the others won't help in the slightest, all it will do is make the weekends more clogged in these areas and deserted elsewhere, as well as making the weekdays less busy. Not a good thing.

Let's do it by an event basis.

Time To Craft: A weekend with this would just be a wasted weekend for a lot of players, seeing as the only worthwhile rewards from crafting is the Aegis set.

Mirror Universe Incursion: A fan favourite, many people rely on this hourly event to level their alternate characters. Making it a weekend event could help people spam level their characters, but if they missed the weekend for some reason (Holiday, working overtime, dead internet, etc), they may have to wait months for such an oppurtunity to come again.

The Path To 2409: Seriously? What is the point in this event? It may as well just give the 2 datachips anyway, it's not like 30 EC is worth getting 2 at once when the people who want them all just buy them from the exchange.

Multiphasic Event: This would be a wasted weekend, as it only really benefits the crafters, making it a daily would allow people to do it when they want, rather than when the game decides.

Tour the Universe: No harm in making that one a daily.

Academy Event: I see a lot of people do this one, maybe doubling the time alloted would help, but the academies get busy at this time and people fight over the things you need to get, a weekend would just make this problem worse.

Officer Rewards: Make it a daily, most people can only do it once a day anyway.

Dilithium Mining: A wasted weekend seeing as it's a daily quest anyway, but if the event was a daily it would make the whole thing pointless. Keep it hourly, it won't work otherwise.

Vault Shuttle Event: Seriously? Who does this? Just make it a PvE queue and leave it like that.

Bonus Marks Event: By far the best, and probably most played, event. This event allows people to farm all the marks they need for whatever reputation/fleet they want. Specific mark weekends are a nice supplemental, but are rather pointless to people who have maxed that particular reputation and have gained all the kit they want from it.

All in all, some events will work, and some will be ruined.
    sto_forum_sig_gif_by_roebot56-d9as2al.gif
    If you can't solve it logically, solve it like a moron.

51 + 1 Foundry Character Slots is NOT enough. Some of us love our characters. If I want to buy more character slots, why can't I? I couldn't experience the entire Delta Recruitment event without deleting a character.

The Iconians themselves can't time travel because their memories revert, but there is nothing to say an Iconian couldn't write everything she needed to do on a PADD, pin it to herself, travel back, read the PADD, do the tasks and return. Or just get one of her Non-Herald underlings to go back in time for her.

Want a Star Trek themed starship command fan-made Board Game that isn't fiendishly complicated but not so easy it's a joke? Download mine for free here. https://roebot56.deviantart.com/art/BOARD-GAME-R56-s-Starship-Command-STAR-TREK-Edn-682732468 A Stargate version of the game is available from a link in the description.

Oh yeah, I do Foundry missions for both KDFs and Feds. Just search KSTF (Short for Kinas Special Task Force, where Kinas is the name of the Admiral you will be serving under). The earlier ones are less story based and more combat based, while the later ones have a much heavier story element, but keep the large battles.
  • roebotsixtyfiveroebotsixtyfive Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Reading these forum posts, it seems the general opinion is "don't get rid of the mirror event hourly's" and is rather against this update in general. Being honest, I am against it, but only because I like to do conduit runs during the bonus marks because 1000 Omega marks are rather tedious to get by other means.
    sto_forum_sig_gif_by_roebot56-d9as2al.gif
    If you can't solve it logically, solve it like a moron.

51 + 1 Foundry Character Slots is NOT enough. Some of us love our characters. If I want to buy more character slots, why can't I? I couldn't experience the entire Delta Recruitment event without deleting a character.

The Iconians themselves can't time travel because their memories revert, but there is nothing to say an Iconian couldn't write everything she needed to do on a PADD, pin it to herself, travel back, read the PADD, do the tasks and return. Or just get one of her Non-Herald underlings to go back in time for her.

Want a Star Trek themed starship command fan-made Board Game that isn't fiendishly complicated but not so easy it's a joke? Download mine for free here. https://roebot56.deviantart.com/art/BOARD-GAME-R56-s-Starship-Command-STAR-TREK-Edn-682732468 A Stargate version of the game is available from a link in the description.

Oh yeah, I do Foundry missions for both KDFs and Feds. Just search KSTF (Short for Kinas Special Task Force, where Kinas is the name of the Admiral you will be serving under). The earlier ones are less story based and more combat based, while the later ones have a much heavier story element, but keep the large battles.
  • gatsie7gatsie7 Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think that the new bonus weekend event is a bad idea, How about just making all the events a daily and let us decide what we want to do. I for one have 13 characters and will not be doing an entire weekend of the same stuff. Why do you seem to have the need to herd the masses to what you want or feel we should be doing?
    I have a Fleet that needs Fleet marks everyday and personally I count on the Bonus marks hour but having a weekend is TRIBBLE, how do you envision people continuing to get bonus fleet marks if we see the event once maybe twice a month?
    You set the rules long ago and yet you change them and it hurts the small fleets trying to finish their base.
    So I vote for a daily fleet marks event, gives us this daily and let it last an hour a day. I don't see the problem in fact I believe everyone would agree. Picking up the mission at our convinance would be a great thing.
    Just my opinion..:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A lot of people have brought these points up, and I would like to add my voice to this, for what its worth...

There are certain events that will not work as weekend events OR as dailies.

Dilithium Mining, Tour the Universe, The Academy Event (scanning particles), doing these all weekend ??? yuck!

Doing these as hourly events? Well Dilithium Mining is a daily already, how does this work that we have to wait 24 hours for the mission to be available to make use of another 24 wait?

Tour the Universe, OK I can see this being this a daily event, but waiting 24 hours for 350k EC? I got better things to do. I could probably get 350k by selling STF drops.

The Academy Event, now this one is the hardest. When the event comes around, you get one hour to collect as many particles as you can. I have seen the academies jumping when this is active. Its a race against other players (sort of) and also a race for yourself to see if you can get enough particles. I always try to see if I can beat my personal best. And I usually can get 120 - 150 particles in the hour it is live. That's not a bad amount of dilithium (just over 5k) for running around and fighting for 1 hour.

So if this becomes a daily, how to do you work out the timer for collecting particles?

Also, if you are going to be running it by yourself, what happens to the particle drop rate? Are they going to get nerf'ed because now you are the only one running it in that instance and there's no competition for collecting them?
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gatsie7 wrote: »
    I think that the new bonus weekend event is a bad idea, How about just making all the events a daily and let us decide what we want to do. I for one have 13 characters and will not be doing an entire weekend of the same stuff. Why do you seem to have the need to herd the masses to what you want or feel we should be doing?

How are dailies any less herding? Here's a set of missions which give you an extra thing for running through a proscribed routine. You're jumping through an even finer set of hoops than a weekend event (ie. the Dyson event) since there you had a broad set of bonuses which you could acquire through various, non-habit forming (since its only temporary), means.

For an MMO that's nirvana. I'm going to disagree with most of my peers here and say that I'm looking forward to this weekend system. It's a lot more significant, and a lot better for my sense of personal initiative, than what we have now.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have mixed feelings about this change. With our beloved developers and their track record recently, I don't trust any claims about changes "helping" players. I'll have to see it in action before I believe it. And there will be some sort of catch, I'm sure.
  • doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Personally Id like to see an Epic Mission Modifier that paid out a ton of whatever reward you wanted for a choice of dilithium or any of the fleet or reputation marks. You activate the modifier and the next mission you queue up gets the bonus. You can pick from Cryptic made missions or qualifying Foundry missions. 1 week cooldown timer per toon. You can have Epic Mission Weekend events that make the modifier 150%. Just let us play our favorite mission once a week and let US pick what content we want to spend our time on for the best reward per time spent. A quicky Cryptic mission or 1 hour+ Foundry mission, whichever we love, let us play what we love for those who cant commit a lot of time per week or show up on specific days of the week or times.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You shoudl be able to mine all the dilithium you can stand, but only refine a certain amount, like 10,000 a day. So what if everybody has a ton of dilithium, its the refining that limits what can be done with it.
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't think the old system was broken.
    While additional bonus weekends are a great idea, to take away the hourly events instead holds potential for ruin.

But we'll see how it will be implemented...
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • blackmarch0blackmarch0 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    personally I like most of the event system how it is. having an 1-3 hour rotation lets me skip the ones I don't like without having to wait a whole day or week for it to come around again. I think having a weekend marks promotional would work.... but not for any of the other events.

And please do not change mirror event; mirror event is unique and a nice way to both gain xp and to just blow stuff up leisurely and quickly. having it set for only a couple hours out of a day gives me something to look forward to.
  • krovankrovan Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think this is a great idea for the marks type events, but the other ones not so much.

Keeping things as is and just making certain weekends double rewards is a good bet.
    http://soundcloud.com/krovan-1
  • sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Tour the Galaxy will not be as popular as it once was unless you either increase the rewards, or allow it to be run any number of times in an hour once again.

Agreed. I believe that if players are capable of running it multiple times while it is active, they should be allowed to. (See signature.)

What I really don't like about the changes to the Tour is how they (didn't) communicate that the changes were going to happen and how it was going to be changed.

If they were pissed about how players were using/abusing it -- for so many YEARS -- they can only be mad at themselves and should not have taken it out on the players with such an abrupt and unreasonable change.

If the Tour the Galaxy were to be a weekend event, it should be allowed to be ran without cooldowns, unless the player CANCELS it - then invoke a cooldown. Really... how many times could someone go through the Tour in one sitting? After 3-4 times, you are likely to be exhausted! This is not something that a keyboard script would be able to do either.

Cryptic, let's get real and give us back the Tour the Galaxy to be more like it was before.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • captainedwards09captainedwards09 Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sirokk wrote: »
    Agreed. I believe that if players are capable of running it multiple times while it is active, they should be allowed to. (See signature.)

What I really don't like about the changes to the Tour is how they (didn't) communicate that the changes were going to happen and how it was going to be changed.

If they were pissed about how players were using/abusing it -- for so many YEARS -- they can only be mad at themselves and should not have taken it out on the players with such an abrupt and unreasonable change.

If the Tour the Galaxy were to be a weekend event, it should be allowed to be ran without cooldowns, unless the player CANCELS it - then invoke a cooldown. Really... how many times could someone go through the Tour in one sitting? After 3-4 times, you are likely to be exhausted! This is not something that a keyboard script would be able to do either.

Cryptic, let's get real and give us back the Tour the Galaxy to be more like it was before.

Agree as well.. some things don't need to be changed just for the sake of change.