test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Massively Interviews Stephen D'Angelo

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited January 2014 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Stephen D'Angelo sat down to talk to Massively about his transition to the role of Executive Producer of STO. Columnist Terilynn Shull has released the interview in a supplemental Captain's Log entry.

Link to the interview.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Nice interview, if a little vague at times. Sad to hear about the Foundry not getting any bigger updates in the "coming months". :/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
  • Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Interesting massively interview, apparently PvP statistics has raised some eyebrows over there. Perhaps there is hope for an expansion in the future.
    Nice interview, if a little vague at times. Sad to hear about the Foundry not getting any bigger updates in the "coming months". :/

We do know there is one large update coming with Season 9 based on a past interview, unless plans were changed.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What's that, the Foundry?! :D
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I do appreciate that he want to focus on some of these old bugs. As far as the inventory/bank slots there is one thing I do not understand. If the database is near the limit and they are still trying to squeeze more out of it then why not give the players a bit of relief and let us stack hypos/batteries and other consumables in greater quantities. Set them to 250 like most stackable items.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    He said a new event after the anniversary one in March. It's still too early for summer, so perhaps this might be some kind of "spring" event? Interesting...
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Not bad but not bad at all.
    But more events ohh no nerf them all :rolleyes:
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,031 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Stephen seems to very focused, he knows what he wants to tackle and how to tackle them head on. I wish him all the best.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    He said a new event after the anniversary one in March. It's still too early for summer, so perhaps this might be some kind of "spring" event? Interesting...

Epohh Egg Hunt :)
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Epohh Egg Hunt :)

The Easter Epohh.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I can't promise when we'll get to them, but some items being looked at closely include improvements to tooltips and gear comparison, maps and navigation, and the game flow in Earth Spacedock. Personally, I've always found that ESD isn't laid out well to make playing there a fun experience, so that's one area I'd like to try and improve. Going to ESD should be a fun experience.

If you want to make ESD more "fun", get rid of all the trolls that start arguments about politics, religion, etc. In other words, make it so nobody wants to even go to ESD.

I avoid that place as much as possible simply because of all the idiots arguing. If I hang out there too long I tend to get myself involved because stupid is contagious.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Reputations are a way to reward players for playing the content, so we do plan to continue having them for most content.

*sigh*

I guess that's why we only got 2 new featured episodes for 2013, Temporal Ambassador and Sphere of Influence.

I suppose this year we'll get just 1 huh?

I guess it's not worth the time and effort to make enriched story content as it is to make more grindy content. :(
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ohh +1 for ESD revamp. Once upon a time, I believe Taco said he would like to redo ESD if the opportunity ever arose. Give him that chance man.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    "There is always a tension between building straightforward story content and building content that is designed for repeated play. Story content takes more dev time to develop. It is very popular, but it is consumed very quickly and has less "replayability." Content designed for repeat play is generally lighter on story, but we work hard to fit these pieces of content into support roles or backstory for the main storyline. We are striving for a balance here that keeps the story moving forward, while providing players replayable content. Reputations are a way to reward players for playing the content, so we do plan to continue having them for most content."

*ahem* Story. Crafting. Story. Crafting. Story crafting! *ahem*
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    He's a Picard fan and he wants to fix the bugs, I love him.

That's all that needs to be said.
  • Options
    palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ESD should have invasions in a couple of instances to keep things lively, BOFF training, transfer, trade / recruit systems need love, trading commissioned offers among Captains on the same account for training or bound officers for training, lots of quality of life upgrades needed there (Stahl agreed he said to look for it around season 7) :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I read a lot of this 'when you going to fix the bugs that have been here since beta'. personally I can't think of too many bugs let alone any that's been here since beta so they really can't be urgent lol.

but I do applaud your efforts on the matter. good luck :)
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    He's a Picard fan and he wants to fix the bugs, I love him.

That's all that needs to be said.

Now, BranFlakes, I shall joust that low-born oaf organicmanfred to win your hand! I shall win this day with the courage of love!

I can't believe what I read...
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    For the first time in years, PvP players got a new arena where they can beat each other senseless in shuttles and other small craft. What plans are there for the future of PvP beyond that arena?

Just this week, I had some data analysis done on PvP game play. I'm not ready to make promises about PvP investment at this time, but it is something the STO team definitely will be paying attention to.

sweet! Mr. D is smart enough to know a long untapped revenue generator when he sees one
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    *sigh*

I guess that's why we only got 2 new featured episodes for 2013, Temporal Ambassador and Sphere of Influence.

I suppose this year we'll get just 1 huh?

I guess it's not worth the time and effort to make enriched story content as it is to make more grindy content. :(

We also had an entire Romulan faction with unique story missions and new kdf story missions.

To say there is only 2 new featured episodes may be true but a bit unfair.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm glad he is making notes of the game issues and wants to fix them. That shows the company is trying to keep their game going. And shows the gamers who plays that they care to fix the issues.

I'm looking forward to see what he can do with STO.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If ESD gets a revamp is there any way the color coding could be done away with? I understand that the colors are pretty and the chat in ESD is generally pre-school, but it doesn't need to be visually pre-school as well.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I can't believe what I read...

What can I say? I'm a sucker for bug fixes. They're like magic love potions to me.

Now, avaunt, villein! I shall defeat you in battle, and win...well, somebody's hand, for sure. Bran's or Mr. D'Angelo's, hopefully.

:D:D:D

...but seriously, now, is this joke going a little too far?
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There is always a tension between building straightforward story content and building content that is designed for repeated play. Story content takes more dev time to develop. It is very popular, but it is consumed very quickly and has less "replayability." Content designed for repeat play is generally lighter on story, but we work hard to fit these pieces of content into support roles or backstory for the main storyline. We are striving for a balance here that keeps the story moving forward, while providing players replayable content. Reputations are a way to reward players for playing the content, so we do plan to continue having them for most content.

Let me break this down.

There is a greater return on investment with grind-maps and grind-reps. Simply put, they want to create as little story content as possible, just enough to stick the story together.

The Voth arc shows just how little investment they put into story. Whereas New Rom had story behind the grind, this season shows almost no thought. Dinos with lasers. Oh yeah. Voth. And Omega. Something something dyson sphere and Iconians.

This is... not the game I want to play. Simply put.
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Interesting massively interview, apparently PvP statistics has raised some eyebrows over there. Perhaps there is hope for an expansion in the future.
    We do know there is one large update coming with Season 9 based on a past interview, unless plans were changed.

If PVP does get some lovin, we can thank the PVP bootcamp bunch. They've sparked a lot of interest. :)
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    edited January 2014
    What can I say? I'm a sucker for bug fixes. They're like magic love potions to me.

Now, avaunt, villein! I shall defeat you in battle, and win...well, somebody's hand, for sure. Bran's or Mr. D'Angelo's, hopefully.

:D:D:D

...but seriously, now, is this joke going a little too far?

Take your love potion and ... no, to cruel

Well I give up. Both are yours.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Take your love potion and ... no, to cruel

Well I give up. Both are yours.

Hah! I am victorious!

...Bran? Mr. D'Angelo? Are you still here?

Oh, bollocks.

;)

Right, I think that that's enough for now. Thanks for helping me with this running gag, organicmanfred!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Hah! I am victorious!

...Bran? Mr. D'Angelo? Are you still here?

Oh, bollocks.

;)

Right, I think that that's enough for now. Thanks for helping me with this running gag, organicmanfred!

For we shall meet again on the Battlefield of Love :D
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    The Easter Epohh.

Must collect 1000 Golden Epohh eggs or use lobi to get the Easter Epohh ship.
  • Options
    smazazelsmazazel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    arg sounds like no story more grind boring play over and over. I want story I dont want stupid playing pve TRIBBLE for story that gets boring after 2 plays and putting story in that is just stupid so is putting story int he rep. all of this has driven alot of people away from this game I barely play now. and for the pvp that needs to just go away. also blue vs red needs to go away. it is stupid at this point. everything past the first story bit has blue working with red. end this unwar already.
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If ESD gets a revamp is there any way the color coding could be done away with? I understand that the colors are pretty and the chat in ESD is generally pre-school, but it doesn't need to be visually pre-school as well.

The color coding was put in for ease of navigation. In other words, newcomers kept getting lost and asking "Where's the X", so everything got marked more explicitly on the map and with the signs and colors. If they got rid of the color coding, then we'd have more newcomers getting lost again.