test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New star trek show

owenfelix69owenfelix69 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Ten Forward
Star trek show What do you think about this, I'm missing having a show on TV just now, was trying to think of something abit different. What about a star trek show that follows a klingon ship around, filmed in the sane way the latest battle star shows were filmed, a much more dark side to the star trek universe
Post edited by owenfelix69 on

Comments

• worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That would be cool. You could even loosely follow the STO storyline, at least at first. The whole first season could be about the Felk'Ihri invasion.

Oh, man, I just had this brilliant image of Worf standing at the gates of the Great Hall on Qo'noS with his bat'leth held high, telling a Felk'Ihri demon three times his height to get lost, Gandalf-style.

Only, with more blood and guts than blazing white light.

Yeah, that would be AWESOME. Call it "Star Trek: Klingon Empire" and have a thlIngan Hohl edition for the inevitable DVD release. Awesome.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I would like a Klingon show but only if they don't exaggerate the grimdark grittiness. We had quite enough of that, you can tell mature stories without going that route :D

If they had accepted Michael Dorn's Captain Worf concept I'm sure we'd seen a lot of Klingon culture in that installment.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Star trek show What do you think about this, I'm missing having a show on TV just now, was trying to think of something abit different. What about a star trek show that follows a klingon ship around, filmed in the sane way the latest battle star shows were filmed, a much more dark side to the star trek universe

Sane is not what I associate with the Baltar space harem.:)

And as much as I'd enjoy this idea...it wouldn't work.
    The target audience must connect with the protagonists.
    As a result film studios, which look at the American domestic market first, try to do so by introducing a large number of American and sometimes British leading characters into their shows, even if it's an international SF setting and/or makes little sense.
    That is is why over 50% of all the humans in Star Trek have anglophone names

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/human_names.htm

and the humans in NuBSG are basically prehistoric space-Americans the leads have first names like "William" and "Lee" and drive around in humvees.

http://www.galactica.tv/templates/MAD/images/earthlike02.jpg

This also explains why all but one captain of the starship Enterprise were Americans.
    There are even people around who want to retcon Picard into having been British because French must speak in a cartoon accent and be totally imcompetent at all times (moreso than Picard was in the first two seasons).
    So using non-American characters is already tricky from a studio's point of view but using a cast entirely made of non-humans is impossbile and poses too much a financial risk.

For a "series" of sorts about a Klingon ship have a look at the IKS Gorkon novels.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    if its about kdf i will not watch if its about feds i will watch if its about romulans i will watch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    While i would watch it, i cant say i care for an all klingon show. they are great once in a while but every episode? nah.

besides there is no way they would do something that does not centre around humans. the general public wants to associate themselves with the main characters. to have that human element and to see humanity in the future. having a non human crew, especially all or most from one race would be a massive gamble for such an expensive show. i cant see any studio exec signing off on it.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    most of the episodes would contain politics, house rivalries, death and brutality behind the honor concept and every ending to a season you get a BoE style fights in orbit of some planet ruled by a house or some enemy and some nameless battlefield on the surface somewhere.

with all respect to the idea but a romulan journey circa 2370's would be a lot more fascinating because it's not always fight that is the worry, its how perceived intentions hidden in the dark or not have a way of biting at you harder then some big conflict.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2014
    If they do a Klingon show I would say they should go back to the time of Kahless and do it in a 300/Spartacus style. Blood, death, sex and slow-motion would fit very will with medieval, semi-mythical Klingons. Most of the bat-leth choreography in the shows is slow and clunky (most, some was very, very cool). I'd love to see what modern fight choreographers could do with it in a show that wasn't afraid to throw blood and severed limbs everywhere.

I do like mirrorchaos' idea of a Romulan show.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,442 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If what you want is new Trek, there are a couple of crowdfunded shows in production. Star Trek Continues, for instance, is an interesting attempt to carry forward with TOS as if it had never even been interrupted. So far, there's one episode released, "Pilgrim of Eternity", that follows on from "Who Mourns For Adonais?". It also starts with Scotty's experimental holodeck, and introduces us to a really gorgeous redhead who is Starfleet's first shipboard counselor. The second episode will apparently be unveiled at an upcoming con in Phoenix.

It has its flaws, of course - Todd Haberkorn, who plays Spock, does not, IMO, have the gravitas necessary to the role, and the fellow playing McCoy is a bit more "jovial physician" and a bit less "crusty country doctor" - but Vic Mignogna makes for a great Kirk, and Grant Imahara's Sulu isn't bad as long as he's not called on to emote too much. (The scene where he and a redshirt were doing some repair work on the hull and the redshirt's phaser overloaded got a bit narmy when Grant was required to register horror.) On the other hand, the fellow playing McCoy recently announced that he was going to have to pull back from the acting side of things due to personal issues, although he was planning on staying involved in the production end.

There's also "Star Trek: Renegades", Tim Russ' crowdfunded pilot for a new Trek series set after Voyager. Worlds that supply dilithium to the Federation are disappearing, with space/time warped around them to prevent access; Adm. Chekov calls on Tuvok, now head of Section 31, to put together a team of Fleet rejects and borderline criminals - renegades, if you will - to investigate. (Mignogna's involved in this one, too, as a Cardassian prisoner.)

I believe there are a few other such pro/fan efforts, but I'm afraid I don't have time to Google them this morning.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • chrisedallen89chrisedallen89 Member Posts: 17,293 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As much as I would find a Klingon show interesting. I think a prime timeline show that is quite a bit later than the time jump between TOS and TNG. Double it almost. New baddies, new tech, a mix of old and new Trek style, and focus on something that really shakes things up a permanent transhumanistic element to it.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How about a show about a crew of Breen... done entirely in subtitles.

:P
  • chrisedallen89chrisedallen89 Member Posts: 17,293 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    azniadeet wrote: »
    How about a show about a crew of Breen... done entirely in subtitles.

:P

lol an anime then?
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    a much more dark side to the star trek universe
    How are Klingons "dark"? IMO, a better word to describe them is "hard".
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    filmed in the sane way the latest battle star shows were filmed, a much more dark side to the star trek universe

So basically, ridiculously over-the-top teen-angsty rubbish, just like that hideous T&A "reimagination" of Battlestar Galactica?

I'll give you my opinion when I get back from the bathroom, right now the very idea's making me throw up.
    edited January 2014
    So basically, ridiculously over-the-top teen-angsty rubbish, just like that hideous T&A "reimagination" of Battlestar Galactica?

I'll give you my opinion when I get back from the bathroom, right now the very idea's making me throw up.
    Concepts can cause you to vomit? You might want to see a doctor about that...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited January 2014
    Whatever we eventually come up with and pitch to CBS, I want it to have Worf and a bunch of swords.
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I would like to see more "going where no one has gone before". Let's skip a couple of decades past STO to the mid-25th century, where the Federation has developed Quantum Slipstream Drive to the point that it can be used for intergalactic travel, and focus on a ship (or small task force of ships) that is sent out on the Federation's first foray into another galaxy--the Large Magellanic Cloud. Call the series "Star Trek Magellan", and name the main ship the Magellan as well if you need a catchy sounding name.
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What about a show based on TOS era Klingons? Their culture was more believable (or at least less over the top) and could be used as an analog for the culture clashes we face in the modern world.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • captclazoruscaptclazorus Member Posts: 377 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I personally feel that Star Trek is supposed to be set specifically around the Federation because ST is all about Humanity's voyage into growth. Though one darker side of the Federation is Section 31, which is intriguing to me. They could have a series set around Section 31 headquarters, hidden clandestinely on a colonial facility on some planet where no one would build a facility.
    They could have an experimental Federation ship they use on their missions. I think it would be cool, kind of like Star Trek meets a blend of "James Bond" and "Nikita." That would make for something people would want to watch, with espionage, action, conspiracy, and Orion females. I would have set during the current Iconian Wars.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Star Trek: Rubicon" Season 1, Season 2 A new era, a new time, a new crew, a new ship, a new mission...
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment because it will never come again."- Jean-Luc Picard
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My idea for a Star Trek series would be set after Nemesis, have a new crew take over the Enterprise E that way we get old casts make guest appearances, storyline set in between Nemesis and the events of what happened in Star Trek 11. The other idea I have is make a Star Trek series set in the STO era. My third idea is have a series set after the events of ST09 but before STO era. Fourth idea, have the series set in Daniels future maybe. Personally should do this one later after the other series which continues the prime-verse storyline.
  • sharksinspacesharksinspace Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    raj011 wrote: »
    My idea for a Star Trek series would be set after Nemesis, have a new crew take over the Enterprise E that way we get old casts make guest appearances, storyline set in between Nemesis and the events of what happened in Star Trek 11. The other idea I have is make a Star Trek series set in the STO era. My third idea is have a series set after the events of ST09 but before STO era. Fourth idea, have the series set in Daniels future maybe. Personally should do this one later after the other series which continues the prime-verse storyline.

The best way to do a Daniels show would be a la Quantum Leap (with less Scott Bakula); a Ferengi Al while we're at it.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I personally feel that Star Trek is supposed to be set specifically around the Federation because ST is all about Humanity's voyage into growth. Though one darker side of the Federation is Section 31, which is intriguing to me. They could have a series set around Section 31 headquarters, hidden clandestinely on a colonial facility on some planet where no one would build a facility.
    They could have an experimental Federation ship they use on their missions. I think it would be cool, kind of like Star Trek meets a blend of "James Bond" and "Nikita." That would make for something people would want to watch, with espionage, action, conspiracy, and Orion females. I would have set during the current Iconian Wars.

your assuming section 31 is more then one person who knows all the secrets of the federation. it's hard to know if s31 is a group, an individual or something else because canon trek never provided it. and why would s31 make itself a target and have a headquarters?
    raj011 wrote: »

1. the various people involved in the star trek tng cast have got their middle age spreads going and dont exactly look like they used to and most of them would need to get into a gym for a month or longer while others appear to be unavailable through current acting or directing. if there were to be a hand off it would like be one or two characters at most to do it. kirk handing the baton to picard, picard handing the baton to sisko, quark handing the baton to paris.

2. why set it in the STO era? its full of nonsensical plots.

3. no. and i would never watch a spin off from jjcrapverse.

4. post-3000's? why? star trek is about the human condition, having nothing but time travel episodes and conflicts surrounding it doesnt add anything but fictitious elements.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited January 2014
    your assuming section 31 is more then one person who knows all the secrets of the federation. it's hard to know if s31 is a group, an individual or something else because canon trek never provided it. and why would s31 make itself a target and have a headquarters?

1. the various people involved in the star trek tng cast have got their middle age spreads going and dont exactly look like they used to and most of them would need to get into a gym for a month or longer while others appear to be unavailable through current acting or directing. if there were to be a hand off it would like be one or two characters at most to do it. kirk handing the baton to picard, picard handing the baton to sisko, quark handing the baton to paris.

2. why set it in the STO era? its full of nonsensical plots.

3. no. and i would never watch a spin off from jjcrapverse.

4. post-3000's? why? star trek is about the human condition, having nothing but time travel episodes and conflicts surrounding it doesnt add anything but fictitious elements.

Well all of the ideas I suggested is in the prime verse of the show, the first idea I suggested is perfect, like you said the actors are in their middle ages so they can make special guest appearances with the new crew. Why not in the sto era?, still in the prime verse timeline and it can fit with the sto game and clear up any messes. Last idea can do all of that plus more!

Personally they should continue on after Nemesis. Use the script they were going to use for the original star trek 11 with the tng crew and put it in the series have the first 2 or 3 episodes mixed with the new crew.

He is a question for you all, when they do make a new series. Should there be a new ship and what do you want it to look like, (does not matter if it is set a months after nemesis)

For me i dont mind, if it is tng era back on the Enterprise E or a sovereign class. If it is set way after nemesis then new ship.
  • captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hows this for an original idea, make a show without a permanent cast, it should focus on a different ship & crew every couple of episodes or something. Would that be do-able?
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I would like to see more "going where no one has gone before". Let's skip a couple of decades past STO to the mid-25th century, where the Federation has developed Quantum Slipstream Drive to the point that it can be used for intergalactic travel, and focus on a ship (or small task force of ships) that is sent out on the Federation's first foray into another galaxy--the Large Magellanic Cloud. Call the series "Star Trek Magellan", and name the main ship the Magellan as well if you need a catchy sounding name.

I would sail for Andromeda, the Maggelanic Cloud, IIRC, is only a small irregular galaxy... But a single Federation ship in a completely unknown part of the universe would be cool. It could take elements of Voyager, Battlestar Galactica and Andromeda, and TOS.

They are isolated, but they aren't heading home- they are exploring. The ship could be a real powerhouse, and still get into trouble, simply because it can't call for starfleet support, and possibly not even for advice. (The last is a bit a TOS throwback, since Kirk seemed to have less ability to contact Starfleet then Picard could.)

---
    A more specific concept I had in mind was that they'd use an artificial wormhole (yet another technology Starfleet is working on) to get to Andromeda and start an exploration, colonziation and diplomacy mission there. They learn that large parts of the galaxy cannot be explored with warp anymore, after some kind of catastrophe or interstellar war devastating subspace. Quantum Slipstream works, but is still limited, and there are passable subpsace corridors that are difficult to find and navigate. There are no aliens with bumps on their foreheads in Andromeda, thought there were some humanoids once - which are hated or feared due to what they did (weaponizng some "space whales" was one of my idea, that are now considered a menace). For continuity back with the Andromedans from TOS, The war or catastrophe might be exactly what they were trying to flee.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • sethpcsethpc Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As with others, I'd like to see a Trek series wherein the captain is a member of an alien species. I get that having a human captain and several human crew members is so that we share those characters' POV. But I'd love to see how, say, a Bolian Starfleet captain goes about their daily business as both an officer and a person.
    edited January 2014
    I would sail for Andromeda, the Maggelanic Cloud, IIRC, is only a small irregular galaxy...
    "Small" is a relative term - you're still looking at ten billion stars, literally hundreds of globular clusters, more hundreds of open clusters and nebulae, the remnants of a supernova seen here in 1987 (although since the Large Magellanic Cloud is over 157,000 lightyears away, or over twice the distance to the Delta Quadrant, the radiation levels in that nebula have doubtless died down a bit by now), and a structure suggesting that it may in fact be the remnant of a small spiral galaxy that collided with the Milky Way at some point in the distant past.

It is in fact sufficiently distant that in Niven's novel Ringworld, it was assumed to be the logical refuge of species fleeing the explosion of the galaxy discovered in the story "At the Core" (fortunately, astronomers have since learned that spiral galaxies, due to the supermassive black holes in their cores that cause the spiral to form, are immune to becoming Seyfert galaxies...).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited January 2014
    captz1pp wrote: »
    Hows this for an original idea, make a show without a permanent cast, it should focus on a different ship & crew every couple of episodes or something. Would that be do-able?

Great minds think alike, yes I do agree with this idea as well. Instead of one crew have the series span several crews on different types of ships which they can also interact with each other through the series and join together for an big event at the end of each series or half way through. Each crew will tell the story from their perspective as well. I always wished something like this with TNG, DS9 and Voyager but it was still good to see TNG crew at the beginning of DS9 and VOY on DS9.

It would be amazing if the writers would write their stories and ask the public which to go with, this way the audience can decide which direction the story will go? Or ask the audience at the end of each episode what do you want to see or happen in the story, show hints so they don't give away too much of the story.
  • ngonorrheangonorrhea Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    If what you want is new Trek, there are a couple of crowdfunded shows in production. Star Trek Continues, for instance, is an interesting attempt to carry forward with TOS as if it had never even been interrupted. So far, there's one episode released, "Pilgrim of Eternity", that follows on from "Who Mourns For Adonais?". It also starts with Scotty's experimental holodeck, and introduces us to a really gorgeous redhead who is Starfleet's first shipboard counselor. The second episode will apparently be unveiled at an upcoming con in Phoenix.

It has its flaws, of course - Todd Haberkorn, who plays Spock, does not, IMO, have the gravitas necessary to the role, and the fellow playing McCoy is a bit more "jovial physician" and a bit less "crusty country doctor" - but Vic Mignogna makes for a great Kirk, and Grant Imahara's Sulu isn't bad as long as he's not called on to emote too much. (The scene where he and a redshirt were doing some repair work on the hull and the redshirt's phaser overloaded got a bit narmy when Grant was required to register horror.) On the other hand, the fellow playing McCoy recently announced that he was going to have to pull back from the acting side of things due to personal issues, although he was planning on staying involved in the production end.

There's also "Star Trek: Renegades", Tim Russ' crowdfunded pilot for a new Trek series set after Voyager. Worlds that supply dilithium to the Federation are disappearing, with space/time warped around them to prevent access; Adm. Chekov calls on Tuvok, now head of Section 31, to put together a team of Fleet rejects and borderline criminals - renegades, if you will - to investigate. (Mignogna's involved in this one, too, as a Cardassian prisoner.)

I believe there are a few other such pro/fan efforts, but I'm afraid I don't have time to Google them this morning.

Agreed... the redhead is spectacular.
  • warpedcorewarpedcore Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You aren't going to get a new Trek TV series anytime soon. Bad Robot has first right of refusal on new IP. This is according to the admins of the Star Trek Enterprise Season 5 - Netflix campaign on Facebook. They've supposedly met with Branon Braga and other CBS executives pertaining to the situation. JJ won't allow a new Trek show on until his contract for the alternate universe expires. He doesn't want competition with the Star Wars project he's working on.

He did however say, that Enterprise was before his alternate universe split off from the Prime, and he would not be adverse to a continuation of that series- just nothing new.

You can question the admins about the veracity of their claim on their FB page. Doug Drexler of Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica fame will most likely vouch for them.
    edited January 2014
    warpedcore wrote: »
    You aren't going to get a new Trek TV series anytime soon. Bad Robot has first right of refusal on new IP. This is according to the admins of the Star Trek Enterprise Season 5 - Netflix campaign on Facebook. They've supposedly met with Branon Braga and other CBS executives pertaining to the situation. JJ won't allow a new Trek show on until his contract for the alternate universe expires. He doesn't want competition with the Star Wars project he's working on.

He did however say, that Enterprise was before his alternate universe split off from the Prime, and he would not be adverse to a continuation of that series- just nothing new.

You can question the admins about the veracity of their claim on their FB page. Doug Drexler of Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica fame will most likely vouch for them.

I have just decided that I loathe JJ Abrams and everything to do with him unconditionally. What a prick.