test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Suggestion, new Alts starting with a end game ship

galacticgoogalacticgoo Member Posts: 61 Arc User
I?d like to suggest an addition path/experience for additional new characters created in STO.

Because of the way STO is set up I noticed my characters were created for specific ships with their equipment, skills, Boff and Doff?s dedicated to maximize the ship. The frustrating part is generally you don?t get access to the ship you bought until you are level 50. No experience with it, here it is, figure out how to equip it and then go kill the high level bad guys without making other Captains angry.

This is my suggestion, when you purchase a new ship, you get the option to create a new character dedicated to that ship. Your new dedicated level 1 character would be able to use that ship for the leveling process.

The possible story line (using the fed storyline as an example) would be you do the intro mission(s). When you report back to the admiral office and are debriefed you are informed the <insert entry level ship name here> has taken too much damage and would be in dry dock for months. The Admiral then explains they desperately need officers like you out there. So you and your crew are being reassigned to a prototype ship <the one you bought>. Because of the war effort, it?s been totally stripped. Your mission, is you re-equip it and then to boldly go??.ect.

Because you are level 1 you?re limited to mk 1 equipment so the leveling process wouldn?t be overwhelmed. And as you level your character, you could access higher level equipment.

As a result, this would allow your new character to get experience with the ship you bought instead of a string of ships you?re just going to throw away and have leveled with before. In addition, it would allow you to experiment with different equipment, Boff and Doff configurations without bankrupting yourself.

Might make the leveling journey more fun the 3rd, 10th or 100th time through.

Thoughts?
Post edited by galacticgoo on

Comments

• Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ewwwwww, no. Just no.
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited January 2014
    Ewwwwww, no. Just no.

I like the Idea and I can see it "happening - On my Dreams" but that is a total no....
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I?d like to suggest an addition path/experience for additional new characters created in STO.

Because of the way STO is set up I noticed my characters were created for specific ships with their equipment, skills, Boff and Doff?s dedicated to maximize the ship. The frustrating part is generally you don?t get access to the ship you bought until you are level 50. No experience with it, here it is, figure out how to equip it and then go kill the high level bad guys without making other Captains angry.

This is my suggestion, when you purchase a new ship, you get the option to create a new character dedicated to that ship. Your new dedicated level 1 character would be able to use that ship for the leveling process.

The possible story line (using the fed storyline as an example) would be you do the intro mission(s). When you report back to the admiral office and are debriefed you are informed the <insert entry level ship name here> has taken too much damage and would be in dry dock for months. The Admiral then explains they desperately need officers like you out there. So you and your crew are being reassigned to a prototype ship <the one you bought>. Because of the war effort, it?s been totally stripped. Your mission, is you re-equip it and then to boldly go??.ect.

Because you are level 1 you?re limited to mk 1 equipment so the leveling process wouldn?t be overwhelmed. And as you level your character, you could access higher level equipment.

As a result, this would allow your new character to get experience with the ship you bought instead of a string of ships you?re just going to throw away and have leveled with before. In addition, it would allow you to experiment with different equipment, Boff and Doff configurations without bankrupting yourself.

Thoughts?

I seriously doubt that they would even consider this.

The early ships are designed to match the enemies that you fight in those missions (the starting ship now has 3 weapon slots, so they have to make sure to balance your 'proposed' idea in order to keep this balance). You can't just go in with a 7-8 weapon slot ship. That would make things a bit too much in my opinion.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The only way I can see this happening, would be if its base stats and equipment slots were blocked off to start with, then every ten levels a trip to the shipyard unlocked some of them. In other words, you'd be limited to the same stats and layouts of earlier ships, and the only difference you'd experience would be the ships appearance - Which entirely defeats the object of your proposal.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,886 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    let's pretend for a moment that you get that wish. you get to fly the Galaxy, for example with at first three weapons slots, and gaining more slots consoles boff powers etc.

how long will it be before the "I want the t5 Connie" crowd bawls another river of tears?
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So an Ensign straight out of Academy gets control of a Sovereign or some other highly advanced and highly impressive ship? As far as I know, such a thing happens only with Nepotism and the Federation is not known for it. No military in their right mind would give their best ship to a person straight out of the Academy. I know this happened to Kirk in the new Star Trek movies and I stand by my comment about no military in their right mind which means that there is something very wrong with Starfleet in the JJ universe.
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    let's pretend for a moment that you get that wish. you get to fly the Galaxy, for example with at first three weapons slots, and gaining more slots consoles boff powers etc.

how long will it be before the "I want the t5 Connie" crowd bawls another river of tears?
    Hey, don't knock it - those tears can be harnessed and provided to developing nations in times of drought.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Because you are level 1 you?re limited to mk 1 equipment so the leveling process wouldn?t be overwhelmed.

Of course it wouldn't.

Because a Star Cruiser packing 6 Mk I beams and 2 Mk I torps puts out about the same damage as the 2-beam, 1-torp ships the first missions are set up for, right? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeah i know this game breaks immersion but do you REALLY think they are going to hand a top of a line ship to a Cadet with a field promotion straight out of the Academy?

Seriously that's like handing the USS John F Kennedy, or USS Colorado ballistic missile sub that are both Captain's billets to a brand new Ensign straight out of the US Naval Academy.

No, just HELL NO.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    maiewskimaiewski Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Thoughts?

This completley eliminates the "growth" aspect of your character. And, to be fair, just sounds like a way to play the ship that you spent money on now.

You'd actually bankrupt yourself faster if you did this because you'd have to equip more slots with equipment with each new tier of experience. Assuming there isn't some hokey "equipment slot lockout" mechanic, which would just be silly. ("Here's this Odessey Tac Cruiser; but only three weapon bays work. Next week we might re-enable a fourth!")

From a story aspect; there is no reason that Starfleet command with their plethora of ships would give a raw fresh-from-the-academy Lieutenant a ship that size. It's barely believable that a crusier or escor would be assigned to someone of that rank (Mirandas are still commanded by Captains), but they're using the war as precidence for giving a ship that, to be honest, the Federation could afford to lose to a newbie. No admiral who wants to maintain his career would turn over the keys to a front-line warship, or the new flagship cruiser of the Federation to someone with no experience commanding anything near it's size and capabilities.

That's what the 1-50 progress is for; learning and growing in capabilities. You learn the foundations and then add in an extra Engineering slot, and a Lt Commander BO skill, and a couple Technician Doffs with the A2B build. And another beam array in the rear. And every 10 levels you feel a sense of progress and accomplishment becuase you do graduate to a ship with more capabilities.
    DarthGM, GM Phil, Admiral Kavalon, et al

Currently cruising the Pi Canis Sector Block...