test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

how afk penalty should work

scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
edited January 2014 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I created a private match of "infected" this morning, I got 3 good players from my F list in and 1 totally new guy-just hit 50 from the fleet to show him the STFs

and after that he got the AFK penalty..... he fired almost the same amount of shots than any1 else but his DPS was soooo low compared to the rest that the system shot him into AFK penalty

so its possible for 4 top DPS players to que up for an STF and shoot the unlucky random guy into 2 hours AFK penalty

I think thats not how afk penalty should work
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by scrooge69 on

Comments

• Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wait, is that how it's calculated? Based on percentage of damage dealt? Cause that is just baby town.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Why would there need to be an afk penalty at all in private instances? :confused: Who would deliberately invite a leacher?
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    sander233 wrote: »
    Why would there need to be an afk penalty at all in private instances? :confused: Who would deliberately invite a leacher?

I agree there is no need for an afk penalty on private matches

but if they change onyl that it can still be abused....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    williswjwilliswj Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I went into Infected Space Elite in a public queue and happened to get in with a very good team. They were destroying cubes, I kid you not, within seconds. I hardly had any time to react. I happened to be in a torpedo boat to make matters even worse. I managed to get in a few shots but at the end I was assessed a 2 hour AFK penalty for not contributing enough.
    It would be true I didn't contribute a lot due to the massive dps the other team members were dealing, but at the same time it wasn't like I sat there doing nothing. I did try. LOL
  • Options
    pacelli1pacelli1 Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sander233 wrote: »

In fact, if it's a private instance, maybe they were willing to let the noob "leach" since it was, based on the scenario described, a teaching instance. I could totally see saying to a new fleet member, "Just join us and and follow. Watch what we do." And, for Kahless' sake, letting the noob take the loot that I'm not going to bother with myself. It's just not fair to penalize people when they haven't run afoul of anyone.
  • Options
    pacelli1pacelli1 Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I can see another scenario - hasn't happened to me YET, but I could totally see it happening: Game glitches as it is wont to do and you have no bridge officers seated. So you have to stop, allocate your bridge crew again, possibly allocate key-binds, and by the time you're done with all that ... 2 hour penalty.
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    "It is better to have a criminal walk, than to punish an innocent man" And I apply that philosophy towards this AFK system, as it is now, it's not really pulling off what it's supposed, the real leechers are getting around it quite easily, and people are getting slammed by this system that shouldn't be, and indeed, for heavens sake this should not apply to private premades!
  • Options
    john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    We have had this happen many time, basic formula is 4 players doing about 20k dps and 1 guy doing under 1k dps and he will get an AFK ban even though he wasn't AFK, was just really really bad.

If someone really wanted to do some trolling they would take 4 high dps players and start joining games in the public queue where it is common to find people doing 1k dps or less.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    We demand:
    -remove afk penalty from private matches
    -make the afk detection so that it doesnt hurt new (low dps) players
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    oneandonlyrecceoneandonlyrecce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've seen this happen as well. In a team where 4 of the guys were between 6K and 11K DPS. And one guy who got the AFK penalty was at 1.5K DPS.

While the number of shots fired would be a better indication of his activity, would you like to do a Cure or KA where the other 4 guys were only putting out 1.5K?
    Should he be doing public Elite STF? Should he be allowed to do public Elite STF?

A Level 44+ build which is only doing 1.5K DPS won't be fixed with high end gear. But what is the best way to alert someone to the fact they need to learn a lot more about the game? A scorecard at the end, as in PVP matches would help show that someone is woefully under performing. It would be a step in the right direction.

As for the 2hour CD, if someone's DPS is so low as to be marked as AFK, it's going to take them more than 2 hours to learn enough about the game to fix their setup. So I don't see a problem with the CD, but they need a bit feed back or else you'll just get frustrated players.

In the same vein, I think dropping the CD from private maps would be sensible.
    If you get a leechers / AFK in a Fleet team, the Fleet can deal with it. And I haven't heard of it being a problem in PublicEliteSTF teams.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    As for the 2hour CD, if someone's DPS is so low as to be marked as AFK, it's going to take them more than 2 hours to learn enough about the game to fix their setup. So I don't see a problem with the CD, but they need a bit feed back or else you'll just get frustrated players.

If I was new to the game and it would give me 2 HOURS ban and tell me "you didnt do enoughf dps lad, try next time" I would quit 4ever

also you miss the point that DPS based afk penalty can be abused by high players
    and where there is a possibility there are ppl doing it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I doubt the devs will do anything unless players start abusing the afk mechanic to give weak players afk penalties just for having low dps. Unfortunately, even if that started happening the weak players getting unfairly penalized probably wouldn't know enough to alert the devs to what is happening. In any case the afk mechanic should be tied to BOTH inactivity and dps: if your ship is moving and doing at least 1k damage (maybe even 500) then no afk penalty.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • Options
    bluejacketbluejacket Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I got an AFK penalty for entering a map with heavy lag on it. Now the previous match I played was lag free. But as that one was super laggy. I got the penalty even though I could not do anything the lag messed up my controls. It usually happens on Crystalline, Cure, No win Scenario and other maps like that. I have no other problems on any of the other space maps. They just need to get rid of the AFK penalty and have a system that tracks if the player is doing things on purpose. A Player trying to cheat the system would have an online history that should be easy to track. Just base it on the totality of the way they play the game.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I wonder if this have found its way to the DEVs yet

this is serious issue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]