test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fully Protonic Starship Weapons in the Future?

kiloacekiloace Member Posts: 488 Arc User
How would you guys feel about starship weapons that are completely protonic (as opposed to protonic polaron?)

Do you think we could see the addition of a 7th base weapon type - that have a chance to deal additional damage to enemies on critical hit (probably double current, given the lack of the polaron proc) and can have 3 modifiers - in the future?
Post edited by kiloace on

Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That's a tough one. Would they add more Proton Weapons (like the Experimental) or would they add more Protonic hybrids of current weapons...I'd lean toward the latter, given the Tac consoles they've given us already, eh? So weapons that give up a mod for the Protonic crit-proc, eh?

Cause it's a head-scratcher why we have the others besides the Polaron/Proton consoles...
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    Why? Do we need a 7th weapon type?

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Directed_energy_weapon

But, but...there's many more! :D
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    At the very least, I'd say, we could use true Proton(-only) Tactical Consoles.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Doesn't matter if a wider Proton Weapon selection appears.

In PVE, you can make Mk IX common of any damage type work wonders even in "Elite" difficulty. Hell, you can make Tetryons work great in ESTFs if you're a competent player, because damage is damage. Proc and damage type is there for nitpickers.

In PVP, I have 3 words: Elite Fleet Shields
    There are so many resists from even outside ENG Armor consoles and Shields that it all doesn't matter.

The only thing that matters I guess is the new form of pretty colors.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    In PVP, I have 3 words: Elite Fleet Shields

Can I offer a single counter word? Bleed.

One can stack so many debuffs to damage resistance while pumping bleed (or shield ignoring damage in general), that shields schmields comes to mind. It's come a long way from folks complaining about chain crits from Breen Clusters and targets popping with full shields (though, the Breen Cluster chain crit is still there).

So either actual Proton weapons or additional Proton weapons...additional bleed...shields schmields. Imagine Protonic Disruptors, eh? Debuffs the hull for the Proton damage...break out the EWO(s) for some BO Pen loving, and yeah...
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Pure Proton weapons could be a future addition judging by the existence of +% Proton damage consoles. As of the moment, these are entirely useless.

Take for example, Phased Polaron. Phaser consoles do not affect this in any way, only the Polaron consoles. The Dominion Tetryon-Polaron weapons are also only affected by Polaron consoles. The same applies to only Tetryon consoles affecting Phased Tetryon. So with Protonic Polaron, only the Polaron consoles have any use.

So if Cryptic gives us +% Proton damage console, this is an indication that pure Proton weapons indeed are in store for the future.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I hope they do, because otherwise the whole dyson set and their consoles are useless :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    lindaleff wrote: »
    Pure Proton weapons could be a future addition judging by the existence of +% Proton damage consoles. As of the moment, these are entirely useless.

Take for example, Phased Polaron. Phaser consoles do not affect this in any way, only the Polaron consoles. The Dominion Tetryon-Polaron weapons are also only affected by Polaron consoles. The same applies to only Tetryon consoles affecting Phased Tetryon. So with Protonic Polaron, only the Polaron consoles have any use.

So if Cryptic gives us +% Proton damage console, this is an indication that pure Proton weapons indeed are in store for the future.

Except there isn't really a pure Proton damage console if I recall, it boosts proton and then another choice of damage. So obviously those consoles are meant to be used with your choice of weapon and the experimental proton weapon...and with protonic polaron, proton damage consoles affect the proton damage of the proc.

So I'm not seeing anywhere that would really suggest that we're getting pure proton weapons.
  • Options
    gstamo01gstamo01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think the next weapon type to get love will be the Phaser via Modulated Phaser Array/Cannon that additionally gives increased shield penetration and has bleed through dmg against Barrier Fields.

On Tactical Consoles, I think you will see a vast array of new Tact Consoles that boost both primary stat and a second stat for the hybrid effects.
    You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online! :D
  • Options
    onenonlydrockonenonlydrock Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    lindaleff wrote: »

I've also come to that conclusion. Or else why would they even bother with a Proton weapon synergy with the new Dyson set?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    breygornbreygorn Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A long time ago, I though Proton weapons would be forthcoming...
    take a look at the Subspace Field Modulator.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Indeed. We have this handy thing, but it comes with a -400 Proton Damage resistance that is entirely useless. Why do we have a -400 resistance to something that does not yet exist? Clearly, Cryptic was trying to find a way of getting Proton weapons into STO, even back then. According to Chaddington, Proton was supposed to be a Dividian weapon. But as we all know, Dividian ships never did get come into existence. And I somehow don't imagine Dividians use ships anyway.
    The Proton damage is a new damage type I have added to the game... I plan on using this when I can and when it makes since. So as of right now I would say your generally safe when using the item... being there is no proton damage coming your way.. YET!!!!! So I have added the Proton damage debuff as part of the Devidian Tech. You will learn why as the upcoming weeks release more info. It all fits in the story =). I think it does anyway... (runs off and checks with the writers!!!!)
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kiloace wrote: »
    How would you guys feel about starship weapons that are completely protonic (as opposed to protonic polaron?)

Do you think we could see the addition of a 7th base weapon type - that have a chance to deal additional damage to enemies on critical hit (probably double current, given the lack of the polaron proc) and can have 3 modifiers - in the future?

I was expecting pure Protonic weapons only when they were introduced. I'd like to see a new energy type.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    God, I hope not. I never did remember to remove that Subspace Field Modulator when fighting Voth ships. :(
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hanover2 wrote: »
    God, I hope not. I never did remember to remove that Subspace Field Modulator when fighting Voth ships. :(

I don't know why you bothered to do that considering Voth ships deal... Antiproton damage... Not Proton damage. WE are the ones who shoot Proton and only us.