test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Any way to change incremental throttle?

morrigan2007morrigan2007 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
Is there any way to change the space throttle controls so that you do not have to click, click, click, click whenever you want to alter speed? This is really frustrating in space battles trying to click and maneuver at the same time. I would rather have a regular throttle as in other games where the speed increases continuously as you lean on a key. Ideally it should work both ways, with individual clicks setting the throttle in increments and holding the key down making speed increase continuously.

Thanks
Post edited by morrigan2007 on

Comments

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Use R. That is the 100% <> 0% toggle. Other than using your mouse to drag the thottle up and down on the slider bar, that's all there is.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You can bind mouse wheel up/down to faster/slower

Learn how to edit bind files and you can change the amount that speed changes per flick.

I cant think of an obvious way to make speed change continously in a functional manner but there are tricks with the bind files and + commands that are like toggles so it might be doable.
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Also, the default hotkeys for throttle control are Q for decrease and E for increase--each step is 25% of maximum, so it goes Reverse (-25%), 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%.
  • Options
    raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'd love an "all stop" button. No, not the toggle, just an "all stop" button that when I hit it did nothing but turn my engines off and set my speed to zero.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I have that mapped to the scrollwheel click

/bind Middleclick "throttleset 0"
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Also, the default hotkeys for throttle control are Q for decrease and E for increase--each step is 25% of maximum, so it goes Reverse (-25%), 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%.

This. I exclusively use these keys for throttle and never bother with clicking.

Also I tweaked them with a keybind to increment in fifths instead of fourths.

e.g something like one of these:

/bind E throttleadjust .2
    /bind Q throttleadjust -.2

/bind E throttleadjust .16
    /bind Q throttleadjust -.16

etc.

and this sets it back to 25%:

/bind E throttleadjust .25
    /bind Q throttleadjust -.25

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    breygornbreygorn Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    since you brought up fifths instead of fourths...

turn rate is severely penalized under 25%.

the standard "r" for full and stop, along with the standard "q" and "e" for decrease
    and increase has always worked well for me.
    the only time i've ever actually clicked a speed is when i wanted to be at a specific
    speed, say like; exactly at 20, which might have been say 83%.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    One thing I miss from some older space shooters is a "match target speed" button, so when you get behind them just tap that and it sets to same speed
  • Options
    morrigan2007morrigan2007 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This. I exclusively use these keys for throttle and never bother with clicking.

Also I tweaked them with a keybind to increment in fifths instead of fourths.

e.g something like one of these:

/bind E throttleadjust .2
    /bind Q throttleadjust -.2

/bind E throttleadjust .16
    /bind Q throttleadjust -.16

etc.

and this sets it back to 25%:

/bind E throttleadjust .25
    /bind Q throttleadjust -.25

Are you saying you don't have to click the forward and reverse keys to set the throttle at a particular speed, but can just hold down these keys and have it go from 0 to half speed or 3/4 speed and reverse again without individual clicks? I am not using the default keys for the throttle and I am wondering if that might be why I am stuck with a throttle that requires individual clicks to set it, rather than just holding the key down to increase speed.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i dont need to worry about this, i use wsad for movement and q and e for speed. havent had any issue with the default setup since i got used to wsad years ago.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Are you saying you don't have to click the forward and reverse keys to set the throttle at a particular speed, but can just hold down these keys and have it go from 0 to half speed or 3/4 speed and reverse again without individual clicks? I am not using the default keys for the throttle and I am wondering if that might be why I am stuck with a throttle that requires individual clicks to set it, rather than just holding the key down to increase speed.

Sorry when you were using the word "click" I thought you meant you were using the mouse left button on the throttle UI. You still have to push the button for each increment; it's how the game handles throttle, on down, not on release.

If you want to push and hold a button you're going to need to adjust the increment to a low value (lower than what I showed above), then set up some custom macros with a 3rd party program (like what comes with Logitech's gaming keyboards for example) so that when *key of your choice* is held it sends that key down, and key up, and key down sequence again and again until you release the key (probably also with a few millisecond delay between up and down during the repeat).

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited January 2014
    One thing I miss from some older space shooters is a "match target speed" button, so when you get behind them just tap that and it sets to same speed

That would be nice. Makes it easier to stay in the aft arc of an opponent, for example. Of course, a smart player can find ways to outwit someone using it to follow them.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp