test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Winter rewards -> latinum, any use besides trophies?

realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
Looking at the Winter Rewards list nothing strikes me as a must-have, so I'm thinking of converting my loot to latinum.

Does latinum have any real use besides trophies (and a couple of trade assignments?)

And, do trophies only show up on ship's bridge walls?
Post edited by realisticalty on

Comments

• ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You can buy holo projectors for you and your ship. Can be used just for fun or for RP situations.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    You can buy holo projectors for you and your ship. Can be used just for fun or for RP situations.

So for x% of people, basically: useless.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'd either sell the loot directly for EC, or use it to get goodies and sell them for EC. That's probably the best way to go I reckon. I think I saw another thread with players saying they are hoarding coats to sell in the future when the prices go up :)
  • maskedmarvel1maskedmarvel1 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    y ou need a 1000 latinum a pop when dealing with those money grabbing Breen during the rescue deferi mission and you get 480 dilithium for it,
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2014
    Latinum

Used in doff missions, and the daily Deferra optional in part for more dilithium.

Not a real currency currently, except for vanity elements.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You can go with Plan C with the Breen. Jam their Systems & beam the Deferi off before the Breen knew whats happening. On top of it you can still provoke them afterwards to blow them out of space :)

Also: Sunglasses during the summer event.

Edit: That all does not change that GPL turned from the most desired currency in Star Trek the show to a joke in Star Trek Online.
  • saltypineapplesaltypineapple Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Does latinum have any real use besides trophies (and a couple of trade assignments?)

Discoballs! Seriously, STO's fourth anniversary is coming up and we need to be popping those everywhere during the event!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#It'sJustaGameAndAFreeOneAtThat!
    Come Visit the 44th Fleet
  • lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You can go with Plan C with the Breen. Jam their Systems & beam the Deferi off before the Breen knew whats happening. On top of it you can still provoke them afterwards to blow them out of space :)
    Oh, they fixed it again (a while back they broke it so that the game didn't recognise that you had completed the beam-off)?
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Discoballs need Discoballs lots of shiny balls lmao only thing worth getting if u ask me
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Don't invest it into trophies. At least the 500k one is a major disappointment :/
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    y ou need a 1000 latinum a pop when dealing with those money grabbing Breen during the rescue deferi mission and you get 480 dilithium for it,

No you don't. Save your GPL. Just do the scan thing.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Discoballs! Seriously, STO's fourth anniversary is coming up and we need to be popping those everywhere during the event!

I have hundreds of them... of course, I use them so rarely that most of them were bought at the summer event.
  • galadimangaladiman Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I want to be able to buy Quatloos with my Latinum.
    Please reconsider ARC. Please make it optional, at the least. PLEASE.
    It seems the vast majority of your most active players (forum regulars) hate the idea... and while that's a small subset of the playerbase, I think it's an important constituency.
    THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT THIS.
  • realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    galadiman wrote: »
    I want to be able to buy Quatloos with my Latinum.

You'd no doubt have to bid for them...
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    wilbor2 wrote: »
    Discoballs need Discoballs lots of shiny balls lmao only thing worth getting if u ask me

only problem with that is discoballs are 100 energy credits, you cant buy them with latinum.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,449 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    Latinum is pretty much a useless currency. No real use for it.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • rpuma83rpuma83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    IMO getting the frosted boots is a must for all toons! You can go places so much faster when on the ground in any missions or place.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Latinum is pretty much a useless currency. No real use for it.

Pretty much. I remember a time they said they were actually going to put good stuff in the Latinium store. :rolleyes:

How about they move the some of those costume stuff out of the Lobi store and put it in the Latinium store?
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Cryptic really just needs to bite down on this one and admit that they made a huge mistake when doing things in regards to Latinum. This would be a great currency to use in game for things like costume pieces, vanity items, weapon skins, or ground consumables (like the Elachi support drone). It would be a great alternative for some of the cheaper items that cryptic can add in, as well as have better uses later on.

In canon, this is a highly Valuable commodity, while lobi crystals are completely worthless. Cryptic just needs to make it a viable income or allow us to trade it for something useful in game, like the rep systems 15 second dilithium missions. They're the ones who messed up and allowed people to accrue so much GPL, so why are WE the ones being punished for doing so? It's like the old STF currencies all over again, or the original marks. They're punishing those who have stock piled way too much, even though they're the ones who made it possible to do so. There is a lot of potential for GPL in this game, yet Cryptic refuses to give us anything worthwhile to use it on.
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    GPL is not actually worthless, tho it does not enjoy its deserved significance in-game. I'm finding it increasingly useful in DOff missions, which can yield some nice results. I expect the more of these I run, the more opportunites will open up, like most other reputation-related missions...
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Has anyone mentioned the sunglasses items yet?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg