test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

There's no fish on Risa

quintoneasttnquintoneasttn Member Posts: 65 Arc User
I was going to ask about the possibility of having a nice fishing (emote skill) spot along the beach or rock and just enjoy spending some quiet time fishing in the ocean.. or fly fishing on the inland stream? But when I catalogued the wildlife on Risa (found a monkey, which was a surprise), I never saw fish.. which was wierd as Risa is an Island World. There should be.. something.

I really miss fishing with my dad, and would like to enjoy doing that on here. Maybe have a grandfather-type NPC person fishing and we can purchase different fishing rods at a vendor shack, and fish alongside him.
Post edited by quintoneasttn on

Comments

• vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Nice idea OP. Maybe they could do something like that. Though not too big though. I don't want to miss out on the Jetskis :p
    Umm, sorry about that... our Caitian fleet had a beach party there last week. We umm well the main course was a sushi buffet... and I'm not proud to say that there were a number of photon grenades missing from the armory on the subsequent inventory report. In retrospect, perhaps we should have been more cautious.

However, we can't have depopulated the entire island, let alone the whole planet... even though I did see a few of us go back for fifths on the sashimi line...

...yeah. Sorry.

Ferrals should never be allowed to roam free................ :D
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    There is no canon evidence to suggest that there were actually any fish on Risa, as none were ever shown on screen.

Sure there was this fish-seller, but those could easily be imports.

Happy new year.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Unfortunately, in the lore, fishing and hunting is considered as "barbarian" and un-civilized, as it's basically torturing and killing a live form (being grabbed by a hook in the jaw must be quite painful), while being illogical (you can replicate it without killing it).
    Remember T'pol reaction with the Klingons having live Targs aboard their ship to kill them later, or the TNG crew when some dog-like and snake-like aliens are aboard to talk about a treaty, and they ask for freshly killed animals to eat.

Such an emote would only be possible, canon wise, if no fish was harmed/taken, like the string without the hook, but then, it would make little sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited December 2013
    Risa was a terraformed world, yes? The terraformers probably forgot to add fish.

erei1 wrote: »
    Remember T'pol reaction with the Klingons having live Targs aboard their ship to kill them later, or the TNG crew when some dog-like and snake-like aliens are aboard to talk about a treaty, and they ask for freshly killed animals to eat.

actually, mongoose-like and snake-like.
  • grievasgrievas Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    and what's even worse:

there are no wolves on Fenris!
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    "i heard the lakes up on the presidium are filled with fish."
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Risa was a terraformed world, yes? The terraformers probably forgot to add fish.

I don't think so...

Risa is a tropical world, with its own native inhabitants... It's merely under constant weather control.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    yeah, large scale frequency dampers and artificial weather controllers. otherwise the place would be rain 24/7 and constantly quaking.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • slashdot1slashdot1 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Umm, sorry about that... our Caitian fleet had a beach party there last week. We umm well the main course was a sushi buffet... and I'm not proud to say that there were a number of photon grenades missing from the armory on the subsequent inventory report. In retrospect, perhaps we should have been more cautious.

However, we can't have depopulated the entire island, let alone the whole planet... even though I did see a few of us go back for fifths on the sashimi line...

...yeah. Sorry.

So that takes care of the top predators in the overall eco-system. Now all we have to do is invent some more schools of fishes, orc`s, humpback whales, sharks and not to miss: pirhana`s.

Next summer event: critical snorkling lesson`s while staying (possibly) alive.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    slashdot1 wrote: »
    So that takes care of the top predators in the overall eco-system. Now all we have to do is invent some more schools of fishes, orc`s, humpback whales, sharks and not to miss: pirhana`s.

Next summer event: critical snorkling lesson`s while staying (possibly) alive.

There it is, we need a future FE to replay The Voyage Home and fetch some humpbacks to populate Risa with.

(And conveniently ignore how quickly the lack of fish would lead them to a predictable and hungry end.) :eek:
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    There it is, we need a future FE to replay The Voyage Home and fetch some humpbacks to populate Risa with.

(And conveniently ignore how quickly the lack of fish would lead them to a predictable and hungry end.) :eek:
    Humpbacks aren't true predators. Like all baleen whales they don't eat fish, but instead filter small animals and bits of seaweed from the water.

Now Orcas.... Those are a bit more fun. They're not true whales and sometimes EAT whales. How? kinda like a pack of wolves eating a caribou. Dunno why but they seem to like the taste of blubber....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited December 2013
    Humpbacks aren't true predators. Like all baleen whales they don't eat fish, but instead filter small animals and bits of seaweed from the water.

Yep. And the lack of fish most likely stems from a lack of food- y'know, the small animals and bits of seaweed that feed everything, including but not limited to humpbacks. :P
    edited December 2013
    Yep. And the lack of fish most likely stems from a lack of food- y'know, the small animals and bits of seaweed that feed everything, including but not limited to humpbacks. :P
    I dunno... it's hard to imagine a planet with oceans THAT lifeless. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited December 2013

No harder, I'd think, than imagining oceans full of krill and plankton but no predators for them.

(Well...that you can't walk on, anyway.) :P
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I hope they add more wildlife to the jungle paths. Would make a nice safari.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So long it doesn't include some pointless grind.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    *Throws rod in risa's water*

A wild fish appeared ...
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • nathraelnathrael Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited January 2014

After the Caitians were done, we had our TPA (Thalaron Pulsers Anonymous) meeting on Risa. Sorry about that. :eek:
  • ameristamerist Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Fishing would be a very nice touch for Risa -- and a reason to return there when there's no event going on. Many MMOs have some sort of a fishing mechanic to give people who are looking for a casual way to experience the game (and explore for the case of WoW.)

STO could certainly do with some sort of fishing on Risa.
    edited January 2014
    Aww, dammit. Now we'll have to reschedule our next party for somewhere else. Or just do a pork and fowl theme this time... they don't issue disruptors to the bird lady do they?
    I think Risians use Thoron based weapons. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    They probably wouldn't let me bring my Gorn with his giant gun to Risa would they? And I am sure they do have fish on risa, they are only giant man eating fish.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
    edited January 2014
    Gorn were allowed to visit Risa for the summer event, but are otherwise not allowed.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • blevokblevok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There are definitely fish on risa. Archer ate the catch of the day after the chick recommended the little beach cafe in two days and two nights.
    Fleet: Stargate-Union
    Pizza: Pepperoni
    Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu