test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mimey's Drunken Stupor New Years Tournament

mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2014 in PvP Gameplay
Alrighty, with New Years Day popping up soon, time to start the sign-up for my next tournament.

To start off, rules:

Teamspeak participation a must (Language barriers will be taken into consideration where possible)
No scrambles with doffs (Without OK)
No grav pulse
No TIF
No runabouts inc Yellowstones
No Elite Orion Intercepters
No D'Kora EMP
Edit: No Nimbus Pirates

To sign up: Put your @handle and captain type to register. No teams please. However, I'm not worried about how many people actually sign up, it's more just to have SOME kind of tourny since it's been a few weeks.

The winning team will each receive a piece of coal!

Matches: Matches will be 30 minutes long, done in Cracked Planetoid only, first to 15 kills wins. If tied at 30 minutes, then sudden death and first death after that wins.

The time: 2 PM Eastern Standard Time, on Wednesday, January 1st, 2014
The place: bootcamp.hgforces.hu:9988

As before, no teams, only individuals. You can sign up other people if they don't have a forum account or whatever, though of course I would say that you should certainly have their permission to do so.

I couldn't think of anything clever to add onto this tournament. I'll have something better next time. Also, I should hopefully be a little better with my organization this time.
I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
Post edited by mimey2 on

Comments

• adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'll see if I can get there, if it's ok with you I'll only be able to listen to the TS as I will be with family and they aren't big on people talking over stuff :P (I'll find some headphones to do so with)

Anyways, signing up...
    @Adamkafei, either sci or eng, not sure which, I'll decide on the day which I feel like playing :)
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • g0h4n4g0h4n4 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    @g0h4n4

(Primary) Tacitical n00b

Sci Healer

Sci Control
    Now found frequenting MWO short term and then Star Citizen long term. Raged Quit PVP long ago
    - Gohan (House of Beautiful /Sad Pandas)
  • aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    @Aquitaine985 Tactical -or- Science Healer, whichever you require.

If you need any help organizing, feel free to call on me mate :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • miirikmiirik Member Posts: 483 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Alrighty, with New Years Day popping up soon, time to start the sign-up for my next tournament.

To start off, rules:

Teamspeak participation a must (Language barriers will be taken into consideration where possible)
    No grav pulse

No TIF
    No D'Kora EMP

To sign up: Put your @handle and captain type to register. No teams please. However, I'm not worried about how many people actually sign up, it's more just to have SOME kind of tourny since it's been a few weeks.

Matches: Matches will be 30 minutes long, done in Cracked Planetoid only, first to 15 kills wins. If tied at 30 minutes, then sudden death and first death after that wins.

As before, no teams, only individuals. You can sign up other people if they don't have a forum account or whatever, though of course I would say that you should certainly have their permission to do so.

I couldn't think of anything clever to add onto this tournament. I'll have something better next time. Also, I should hopefully be a little better with my organization this time.

sounds like you don't want science vessels and prefer a rooty tooty point and shooty dps/tank fest
    edited December 2013
    miirik wrote: »
    sounds like you don't want science vessels and prefer a rooty tooty point and shooty dps/tank fest

What made you come to that conclusion? A 5 man tac team will not beat a competent team with Sci's and tacs
    Now found frequenting MWO short term and then Star Citizen long term. Raged Quit PVP long ago
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    miirik wrote: »

Not at all. I used a set of rules known as the 'No BS' rule-set, which bans all of those things for most of the tournaments it has been used in. It only bans generally the worst things many of us here don't like playing against.

Speaking of which...need to add Nimbus to that list.

But I banned no science skills.
    g0h4n4 wrote: »
    What made you come to that conclusion? A 5 man tac team will not beat a competent team with Sci's and tacs

Indeed. Heck, there would be no pure DPS teams like that anyways, since teams are going to be mixed.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    drkfrontiers, I'll support you mate.

Engineer or Science as needed.
  • blahhdreyblahhdrey Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    yay tourney!

@blahhdrey

Edit: On second thought, I'd rather just Engy heal.
    dEpN3nB.png?1
    edited December 2013
    why not limit how many Tacs, engies, Sci in the tourney? I'm sure having a tourney with a million tacs is counter productive
    edited December 2013
    g0h4n4 wrote: »
    why not limit how many Tacs, engies, Sci in the tourney? I'm sure having a tourney with a million tacs is counter productive

Because it's in part aimed at pve-ers, tacs being optimal for that...
    ZiOfChe.png?1
    edited December 2013
    adamkafei wrote: »
    Because it's in part aimed at pve-ers, tacs being optimal for that...

Not really that. It's more that I want folks to bring what they want, with other possible options if we should need them.

These are meant to be casual tournaments, not the hardcore, all-out premade on premade action that takes place in stuff like the No BS tourneys.

I'm sure we'll get in plenty of vets and such who want to join with multiple toons, like Regulus has already offered a couple different ones depending on what we need.
  • drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited December 2013
  • xtremenoob1xtremenoob1 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited December 2013

I finally go and do the mission on my Sci and I can't use it! That is BS!!!!!

j/k :p

Should be around for this.

Can bring sci or tact.
    -X-/Pandas - Pheo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daybre4kdaybre4k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    @daybre4k

-Sci

Sounds like fun, I'm in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bobjesterbobjester Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
  • mindsharpmindsharp Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    @mindsharp Tac or Sci healer whatever is needed.
    Karrock/Karreck/Darth Karrock/Unspoken
    House of Beautiful Orions
    PUNISH THE FEDs
  • captainwessoncaptainwesson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Sounds like so much fun! I would, but I have a birthday party to go to at that time. Hope to get back into STO PvP soon, tho! Kinda miss it :D
  • breygornbreygorn Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just to clarify... Is this a solo tourney? or a random pairing group tourney?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gibbsptgibbspt Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i cannot promise i will be here, but i can go tac/sci/eng whatever you need
    btw is that 8Pm london time?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Federation :: Fleetless :: Klingon
    Jorge Silva - Tac | Nayja - Sci | Jorge E. Silva - Eng
    Jorge R. Silva - Tac (Romulan Fed)
    Nayja K Silva - Sci | Vurg'jah - Tac
    edited December 2013
    breygorn wrote: »
    Just to clarify... Is this a solo tourney? or a random pairing group tourney?

Random pairing. So you will sign up solo for this, and be put into a team of other people.
    gibbspt wrote: »
    i cannot promise i will be here, but i can go tac/sci/eng whatever you need
    btw is that 8Pm london time?

If I remember my time zones right, I believe so. Anyone else from England that can clarify?
  • talzerotwotalzerotwo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

To start off, rules:

No grav pulse
    No TIF
    No D'Kora EMP

RULE 1 : Team A vs TEAM B Example...
    Team A scores a kill on Team B, each member of Team A must down a shot of something hard. :P (per kill)

RULE 2: Participating players must, 10 minutes prior to the tournament, must have downed something hard and delicious... like a lychee martini :P
    [SIGPIC]http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5[/SIGPIC]
    Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
    Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE
    edited December 2013
    If I remember my time zones right, I believe so. Anyone else from England that can clarify?

When I looked it up it was at 7pm.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • verusisraelverusisrael Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would like to make it, not sure what my work schedule will look like tho :(

@verusisrael
  • dirtyharib0dirtyharib0 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I will be here for this, on one toon or another, whatevers needed at the time
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'll try to make it, but I am somewhat perplexed at the set of exclusions.

"No scrambles with doffs (Without OK)
    No grav pulse
    No TIF
    No D'Kora EMP
    Edit: No Nimbus Pirates"

Two small points.

Could you not use abbreviated language when describing these rules? Instead, explicitally describing whats not allowed.

I know that this tournarment is, in part, inspired by the hope of attracting people like me with little experience of PvP.

This means we don't know PvP jargon necessarily.

Secondly, one of two of the rules seem arbitary.

Why ban the Dkora EMP pulse, while leaving the shield stripping power of the Vet destroyers or the Jemmie 3 piece set bonus?

Why ban elite orion interceptors, while allowing all other elite pets?

I appreciate that some have expressed disliking playing against these powers, but on the other hand I dislike playing against all sorts of things.
    edited December 2013
    Sorry about the abbreviations, the list of rules was a quick copy-paste from my previous thread, which was also a copy-paste from a thread before that one.

A quick go over for each of them:

Scrambles with DOFFs*: Banned due to the 'spam' worthy nature of Scramble Sensors, including it's fairly large AoE** and infinitely stackable debuff of adding more and more timers to every CD you (and anyone else it hits) have pretty much.

Graviton Pulse: A powerful universal console which can launch a cone AoE** debuff which significantly reduces speed and turn of anything it hits, and possibly even knock engines offline. It's only counter is engineering team, which means anyone who uses that either on themselves or another person, is then left without a science or tactical team.

TIF: Temporal Inversion field. A large AoE** slow debuff centered on the player using it. It comes from the three piece Temporal set from the lobi store, and is more difficult to counter since it is such a powerful slow any ship can use.

Elite Interceptors: I did ban another elite pet, namely Yellowstones. But elite interceptors not only have a potent engine (and weapons I think?) drain, but a tractor beam which can really keep someone held down.

Runabouts: All runabouts also come with tractor beams, which eventually upgrade to TB 3 on Yellowstones, which is the equal to Lt Cmdr SCIENCE skills on just pets. Not only that, Yellowstones have their unique form of Eject Warp Plasma, which is essentially equal to a Lt. Cmdr ENGINEERING ability as well. And there's multiple ones flying around.

(Though you do bring up a point, might just blanket-rule all Elite Pets to keep it simpler)

D'kora EMP: It's a large AoE** debuff behind the D'kora itself, which majorly reduces power levels and such. Now, the reason this is banned is because of A2B, which is bugged in regards to the EMP Burst. Namely that A2B (with Technician DOFFs) will reduce the CD on it, when it shouldn't. Thus a player who knows about that, and has the skill to do so, can and will keep one or more players on a team to very low power for an entire match.

Nimbus Pirates: Banned because the summoned Hirogen ship uses Subnucleonic Beam, usually on the target you are firing at, virtually guaranteeing an extra SNB every 15 minutes per player on a team (which can be huge if used right).

*Boy, that sounds like some Native American name to me

**Notice a trend?

For the list as a whole, most of these things are generally considered the 'worst of the worst' in PvP. It is a ruleset that helps eliminate those things without going into the nitty-gritty details, because everyone and their grandmother has a different idea for what they want in the rules for a tournament. Whole tournaments in the past have been essentially 'destroyed' due to arguments about the rules and nobody being able to decide.
    edited December 2013
    I'm afraid I may not be able to participate afterall as my mouse is playing up, sorry.

EDIT: New mouse, I should still be there :D
    ZiOfChe.png?1
    edited January 2014
    Look forward to seeing you all there later.

Remember: Bootcamp TS, not the Pandas TS.
    edited January 2014
    Well....guess I will try another time.
  • blahhdreyblahhdrey Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Sorry it didn't work out Mimey! I was all geeked up too.
    dEpN3nB.png?1