test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Torpedo's - Shouldnt they be finite?

tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
If torpedos became finite on ones ship... can't you make them stronger without the cooldowns?

If your ship has a fixed number of torpedo's you can use before you restock at a starbase... cant we power up the torpedos and remove alot of the restrictions and cooldowns?

We saw in Undiscovered Country that we have torpedo stockpiles... and they had to take inventory to make sure all theirs were accounted for. So there must be something about them that can't be replicated.

You can shorten the cool down to 1 or 2 secs for all torpedos and a ship only needs 1 forward and 1 rear launcher... the other slots can be upgrades to torpedo capacity instead of beams or cannons if you want to build a torpedo boat.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    That would be interesting but it probably wouldn't work in the game very well.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    On the one hand, yes. Torpedoes should be limited. That was one of points I think was mentioned in the first episode of Voyager (Just before they went on to lose 16 times more shuttles than they had onboard). On the other, I think that would just be a nuisance that would be ignored the majority of the time, then really grate when you forget to stock up prior to a big scrap.
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yes they should , but Cryptic won't help. Sorry. :(
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've been thinking about this myself. They reference torpedo compliments a number of times in voyager and even in nemesis. But I wonder if reducing the cooldown is a good idea. You'd be making tyh kind of obsolete if we don't have to wait 5 seconds to fire one after another. I still agree with making a limited capacity, but perhaps cooldowns should be left alone, unless you have an idea to replace thy.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    yes munitions should be finite, so should pets, and there should be a lot of other things that would further immersion that will never be in this game because its a social game not a space sim
  • qweeble#7491 qweeble Member Posts: 164 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2013
    Torpedoes are not finite, just like how a single shot from a beam array doesn't blow up ships at appropriate plot moments.

It wouldn't be fun.
    I make space ships!
    Twitter! STO_JamJamz
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    with current game mechanics it would mean a death sentence to torps.

a few things that need to be introduced to make this happen:
    torp launcher to be on every ship as a slot like deflector or shields
    energy weapons need to be significantly weaker against hull, so that torps make actually sense
    range advantage over energy based weapons...i mean they already have an advantage against energy weapons, they have no range penalty, but what i mean is actually higher range.
    Go pro or go home
  • alan171717alan171717 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well, I personally think replicator (And Industrial replicators for pets) have advanced enough to allow unlimited torpedoes.
    "I am a travelor of both time and space to be where I have been"
  • brewtolomusbrewtolomus Member Posts: 277
    edited December 2013
    only because that would be something else we'd have to spend more credits on.
  • shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    We need more Omega Torpedo style launchers with rapid fire, slow replentishing magazines. I still wonder why the Tal'Shiar Adapted Destroyer's shrapnel torpedoes were not set up with way, because any launcher with a 3 minute cooldown is nothing short of ridiculous and speaks volumes about poor planning.
  • vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Technically you CAN replicate torps in Trek. You just need a TONNE of energy to do so.

I mean, in theory, you could replicate a starship, but the energy required would be Omega Partical level ridiculous.
  • foxalpha5foxalpha5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Finite torpedoes would be good...in anything except STO.

DeltaFox
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    We have developed a way to replicate torpedoes on the go. We just need specific types of launchers for some reason.
  • vhiranikosvhiranikos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Go ahead. Make em finite. Players will just switch to beams and cannons.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Torpedoes are not finite, just like how a single shot from a beam array doesn't blow up ships at appropriate plot moments.

It wouldn't be fun.
    Yet batteries and regens and hypos are limited and have to be restocked. Does that mean the game is Not Fun? Maybe its actually about overall gameplay?
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    vhiranikos wrote: »
    Unless we have dedicated launcher slots.
  • exa12exa12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    it would have a negligible effect on game play, most ships have more torps than you would fire in a mission, all it would do is add costs, inconvenience and push more people to just stand on starbases and just use the queues

for spoiler text use #1b1c1f
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    vhiranikos wrote: »

They already have. Energy Weapons are far more efficient. You do not have to worry about a sliver of shields coming up rendering most of your damage moot.

There are quite a number of builds now that put zero points into Projectiles and skipping Torps and Mines entirely, while maxing out everything Energy Weapon related, incl. the high end Crit Skillbox for it. And leftover points put into stuff to make your ship even better.

I still like Torps, but I do recognize that the sun has set on them long ago.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

It wouldn't be fun.

If limited torpedoes isn't fun, then how come the vast majority of Star Trek games made over the years have had limited torpedoes? :rolleyes:

You see, in those games and in canon, torpedoes are the weapons with the greatest destructive force in a ships arsenal.
    They are infinitely more powerful than directed energy weapons and are the weapons of choice when intending to destroy targets.

The drawback however is that there is only a limited supply that can be carried onboard ships for a number of reasons.
    They are also unsuitable for situations where surgical precision is required and can't be used reliably to disable an enemy ship without loss of life.

I honestly think all torpedoes should be limited in one way or another(per instance or with consumables), and that torpedoes should be allowed to hit for full damage against shields.
    That may actually make them balanced and viable again.
    vawlkus wrote: »
    Technically you CAN replicate torps in Trek. You just need a TONNE of energy to do so.

I mean, in theory, you could replicate a starship, but the energy required would be Omega Partical level ridiculous.

Replicating a starship isn't the hard part.
    AFAIK anti-matter is something that cannot be replicated by conventional means.
    And its anti-matter that powers starships and is used for the warhead of torpedoes.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    They are also unsuitable for situations where surgical precision is required and can't be used reliably to disable an enemy ship without loss of life.
    I dunno, man. In the final Romulan FE episode, torpedoes are fired from orbit to destroy an Iconian gateway.

Rather than you standing back several hundred kilometers and watching as a gigantic mushroom cloud blossoms into space, the bombardment exhibits a far less impressive result than if similarly-sized bricks had been dropped from orbit. Yes, a brick dropped from orbit will produce a more impressive kaboom than that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I dunno, man. In the final Romulan FE episode, torpedoes are fired from orbit to destroy an Iconian gateway.

Rather than you standing back several hundred kilometers and watching as a gigantic mushroom cloud blossoms into space, the bombardment exhibits a far less impressive result than if similarly-sized bricks had been dropped from orbit. Yes, a brick dropped from orbit will produce a more impressive kaboom than that.

... Assuming the brick didn't burn up in the atmosphere.

A bit more on topic: I don't think that having torps be finite is what they need. What they need is to be ~100x stronger than they are in game, or make it so that as shields are weaker more damage bleeds through. The idea of a dedicated torp slot is also a nice idea.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited December 2013

It wouldn't be fun.

Actually yes it would. Increase torpedo damage to what's been seen in the shows and movies but only give us a few of them at a time, the larger the ship the more torpedoes it carries.

That's how it should have been all along.
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Starfleet officers like to talk about having finite, non-replicable torpedoes, but there's a fair amount of evidence to the contrary. :rolleyes:
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • j0hn41j0hn41 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    There is a Trek president for infinite torpedoes: The self replicating mines used to block the Bajoran wormhole in the Dominion war.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Self-replicating_mine

Seems to me that replicating explosives has to be pretty easy. Tech manual even says they use the same charge as a photon torpedo. We could argue whether or not the tech manual is necessarily canon, but I do think that does seem to have been their intention.

If they could do it that easily in the 24th century, then I could see them adapting the technology for all standard torpedo launchers by the 25th.
    edited December 2013
    I guess lucky for me I never watched Voyager :)

Brother, you have no idea. :P
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i new it would take long for that to come in to play in this thread some here use too much imagination or too little........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited December 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    i new it would take long for that to come in to play in this thread some here use too much imagination or too little........

Wut?

/10char
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Are you trying to kill torpedo use OP?
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Simply wouldn't change much, in fact I imagine it would make torps even less desirable than they are currently.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power