test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #32

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited December 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Systems Designer Phil "Gorngonzolla" Zeleski reveals details about the playable Voth Heavy Fighter that is being added to the Lobi Store in this entry of the Season 8 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Will this unlock fighter pets for carrier captains? Or are those limited to Voth flight deck cruiser? :confused:
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Voth Transphasic-Chroniton Torpedo Launcher that increases in effectiveness as you level

Interesting
  • kagenekoalfakagenekoalfa Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Can we equip voth lockbox ship console set on this ?
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Direct to the Lobi store. Do not approve, do not want, will not even consider.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Interesting.

Not as interesting as a Romulan Timeship Shuttle or Romulan Temporal Uniforms.

But interesting, nonetheless.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    Direct to the Lobi store. Do not approve, do not want, will not even consider.

Same here, stopped reading after Lobi store....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Possible hint that a Dyson Shuttle Event maybe coming out? Otherwise why use a shuttle in the Dyson Sphere like in the pics?
  • matrix0matrix0 Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The question is: what do we do with fighter??? There is no use for fighters in STO. No1 plays the fighters instance. Getting the fighter is just... vanity... no practical purpose.
  • omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This appears to be one of, if not most powerful shuttles in the game. My Dyson Protonic Aresonal build with pds would be killer on this bad boy.
  • schneemann83schneemann83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Is the torpedo launcher limited to shuttles?
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Oh boy, another small craft to use in a whopping 5 things in the game.

Because the current 20ish small craft aren't enough to choose from to run The Vault, that Dominion mission, the Vault shuttle event, and Atmosphere Assault.

Wish Cryptic would come to the realization that the ratio of small craft to small craft missions that are desirable to do (to be fair Atmosphere Assault is pretty awesome) is extremely out of balance.

We don't need this kind of variety for small craft. Not unless we get a variety of things to use them with. I've said it before and I'll say it again.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • wbaker256#3172 wbaker256 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Seeing as you're adding this, Cryptic, think there's any chance you could add the Elachi Oschu Shuttle and Jem'Hadar Fighter down the line? Kind of a shame we never got those as playable shuttlecraft when their respective lockboxes were released.
    "[GARBLED ELECTRONIC NOISES]"
    - Thot Gar - Commanding Officer of the Braaktak Kaan
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It looks like this may beat the Delta Flyer in terms of stats. But does it matter? Not much to do with small craft anyway...

And so it's in the Lobi Store? Big deal. How is this different from the Aeon/Rozhenko Timeship, Tholian Widow Fighter, or Ferengi Shuttle? It's the small craft in the Lobi Store that comes with similar lockbox releases, minus Cardassian, Dominion, Tal Shiar, and Elachi ones.
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't mind Lobi shuttles/fighters, but in this instance I honestly see no reason to buy it. No special ability, console, item or anything, while the torpedo is probably yet another common type-s.

Hazard Emitters not usable on allies also makes it kind of worthless. I'd rather stick with the Tal Kyr if I wanted a slower support/healing small craft.

And as some people have already said - there's really not much to use small craft for in the game at the moment. Especially since one of the PvE missions is supposedly still bugged.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • overlapooverlapo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    iconians wrote: »
    Because the current 20ish small craft aren't enough to choose from to run The Vault, that Dominion mission, the Vault shuttle event, and Atmosphere Assault.

And the sad part is that the reward/effort balance is so bad that no one ever does the few that exist. I spent hours yesterday trying to get into an atmospheric assault and the players waiting number never went past 3.
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    overlapo wrote: »
    And the sad part is that the reward/effort balance is so bad that no one ever does the few that exist. I spent hours yesterday trying to get into an atmospheric assault and the players waiting number never went past 3.

I have flown each "small craft" mission once.. only on my main toon.. They are a total waste of time and code.. Maye if they paid 8X current rewards the ques would at least fill....:mad:
  • longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited December 2013
    This fighter makes sense as we got so much more shuttle content?

Neither the Romulan City defense nor the Vault are played that much and we really don't have other shuttle content.

Of course this fighter is great to pwn people when Brandon organizes a fighter only pvp match, but come on...

... -> serve content first, then the fighter

And make it LOBI and bound and... you can keep it, even if everything else should work out.
  • longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited December 2013
    iconians wrote: »
    Oh boy, another small craft to use in a whopping 5 things in the game.
    (...)
    We don't need this kind of variety for small craft. Not unless we get a variety of things to use them with. I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Could not agree more.
    edited December 2013
    They must be making far far more money with the Lobi store than we realize... everything seems to go directly there now.

If that's the case lets see some of that money reinvested in the game in the form of oh I don't know... story content? Finishing the Voth cut-scenes? Maybe some bug-checking?
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It looks nice, however I will pass and use my Lobi on something else. Since there isn't a real use for shuttles/fighters on the game. I don't even do the repeat missions for them. Since there is nothing to gain.

Add lobi or Dil to the rewards and you will get me out there.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hate to break this for you guys.

But. Nobody. Needs. A. Figher. Any. Other. Time. Than. The. Shuttle. Missions.

To spend 300 lobi for a dust-gatherer while I have the giveaway Yellowstone and To'Duj..... yeahno.
  • bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So, getting us a shuttle that isn't wanted/needed was worth some development time and code time alone but getting other things that should have been done/in game already wasn't....way to go !

How bout those new fed interiors eh?

hell id pay lobi to get those

not to sound like an TRIBBLE to the development team...but you all really need a class in business marketing
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,259 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm more interested in getting a Bulwark dreadnought cruiser than a fighter as my days of super lockbox completionism are done till I can get that.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's been so long I almost forgot the Latinum Store exists. I haven't been motivated to play Dabo forever.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • gorngonzollagorngonzolla Member Posts: 172 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2013
    Hi guys,

I thought I would pop in and answer a few questions:
    Will this unlock fighter pets for carrier captains? Or are those limited to Voth flight deck cruiser?

No. The only Voth ships equipped with a Hangar Bay may equip the Voth Heavy Fighters.
    Can we equip voth lockbox ship console set on this ?

Voth Lockbox and Lobi consoles may only be equipped on standard Voth ships.
    Is the torpedo launcher limited to shuttles?

All equipment on the Voth Heavy Fighter are limited to other small craft.

Regards,
    Phil "Gorngonzolla" Zeleski
  • kyuzos7kyuzos7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    this should of been an ingame reward what a waste of resources and time.

unless you guys plan to keep bringing back the lobi replay event i don't see the point of this ship as a lobi buy... (even though lobi crystals are cheap to buy within star trek canon Season 1 Episode 1 of Star Trek Voyager)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • djconcentusdjconcentus Member Posts: 177 Media Corps
    edited December 2013
    I liked this until I saw that it was going into the Lobi store. Still its par for the course since it is a cross-faction shuttle. It would make sense for me to have one, since I fly the Voth Flight Deck Cruiser (obtained via the Exchange) and use the Voth Heavy Fighters, but I just can't justify opening 60 lockboxes (assuming an average of 7.5 Lobi per lockbox) or grinding up a few dozen millions of EC (at the minimum) to get one of these. Sticking with my Tal'kyr.
    The opinions expressed in my posts are not necessarily those of my employer or Subspace Radio.
    Host of the Borg Boombox, 0300 GMT on Fridays on Subspace Radio
    edited December 2013
    What really ticks me off... is the T5 reward isn't up and running yet.

And here we are rolling out an ultra-premium ship... that is basically useless outside of what... four missions? When you calculate the amount of money you need to drop on Zen to get keys for this... it's absurd. Utterly absurd.

And before you say "buy keys off the exchange" many of those keys come from Zen. It's staggering to think otherwise, no one in their right mind would grind that much Zen at 8,000 dilth a day and sell the keys. ;)

Regardless... The STO team is so far disconnected from what the players want it's absurd. Simply absurd.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    All equipment on the Voth Heavy Fighter are limited to other small craft.

Regards,
    Phil "Gorngonzolla" Zeleski

seems strange that trans chrono torp isn't available in purple mkXII anywhere. it could be used to complete a 3 part voth set, currently its just a 2 part with the 2 voth ship consoles.