What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lets get D'tan married!

2»

Comments

• rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bunansa wrote: »
    Poor chap is leading a fledgling republic with no love interest and possible successor, than it donned on me....

Successor via elections. But yeah, he deserves some love interest, seeing that he was a kid during TNG he can't seriously be older than 50. Which is young, seeing that Vulcans/Romulans live up to the age of 200. He's what we would call: in the twenties. And since he has 150 years left to live, no successor needed.
    we can have him marry the EHPOH girl....they would make a cute couple!

Poor Tovan, she was to be married to him! Don't deny Tovan his wife! He already lost his girlfriend before!
    And than we can save ammo by just using 1 torpedo to take them both out under 1 roof instead of 2 ....

Why under a roof? Want to give them some protection or what?
    And just a torpedo? I'll fire a full Quantum spread of total annihilation to the field of the wedding. We'll take out the marrying couples and all the annoying characters attending the wedding.
    Its the only way to be sure.
    How bout it devs? Lets get those 2 cute kids hooked up...

So no. Although I appreciate the way you think and bring some humour in the forums, this idea could be so better planned than your current idea.
  • vendincevendince Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The problem with getting D'Tan married to anyone is that he doesn't want anyone but Spock. (Even the Tal Shiar were commenting on D'Tan "worshipping the Vulcan's memory".)

And somehow I don't think D'Tan's Spock's type, so it's problematic all around.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    There's some merit all around to this idea.

We rarely see officers get married because they're supposed to be too busy for families and in no hurry to settle. (Mind you, things have changed quite a bit since the 60s. People today marry without the intent of having children EVER and marriage isn't so much settling down, necessarily. I think marriage may have changed enough that a Trek show could have a married captain, provided the spouse is also an adventurer. We had this some with Sisko/Cassidy and in the books with Shelby/Calhoun.)

Some concerns with D'Tan having a family or spouse though are the cliches:

- They become canon fodder who get killed to fuel his angst/anger.

- They are Tal Shiar

- His wife is secretly a Vulcan or, slightly less cliched, another Vulkcanoid species like Mintakan. (I could forgive this one entirely if her secret is that she's a Mintakan because it could show the relationship between Romulans and other Vulcanoid species.)

- They turn out not to be real. Less of a popular cliche but I could see a sci-fi trope play out where it turns out he's married to a hologram secretly. (I could forgive this one more if he knowingly married a hologram but perhaps concealed it for political reasons.)

Granted, D'Tan's spouse probably wouldn't have to be a *she*. It's the 25th century.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    vendince wrote: »
    The problem with getting D'Tan married to anyone is that he doesn't want anyone but Spock. (Even the Tal Shiar were commenting on D'Tan "worshipping the Vulcan's memory".)

And somehow I don't think D'Tan's Spock's type, so it's problematic all around.

Well, characters in this position are often given a romantic interest, as redlettermedia has pointed out, to assert that they're straight despite intense emotional attachment to a same gendered character.

Granted, it would be a coy subversion of that to give D'Tan a husband who's like, "Shut up about Spock, already, dear. Your food is getting cold."
  • vendincevendince Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Granted, it would be a coy subversion of that to give D'Tan a husband who's like, "Shut up about Spock, already, dear. Your food is getting cold."

Heh, I'd pay to see that, actually.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited December 2013

"Always banging on about the sewers. Same old story."
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • exa12exa12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    In keeping with the tradition of making references to characters played by the same actors, i recommend Rugal Pa'Dar

for spoiler text use #1b1c1f
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The title of the thread was enough to make me go "wat?"

But then I saw some of the posts in it...

... wat?

Seriously, did this thread migrate over here from the creepy parts of the Bioware forums?
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well, characters in this position are often given a romantic interest, as redlettermedia has pointed out, to assert that they're straight despite intense emotional attachment to a same gendered character.

This +1. Go TRIBBLE Star Trek!