test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #29

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited December 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
The STO Ship Team shares details about the process behind designing the upcoming Klingon Mogh Battle Cruiser in this entry of the Season 8 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    We exaggerated the armor plating on the Mogh to emphasize the combat aspect of the ship even more. Even the ship?s windows are covered with armor plating when it goes into battle. No stray shot is taking out this ship!
    Could you give us an option to un-exaggerate this in the ship tailor? Cause it's by far the worst thing about this ship. I quite like the overall silhouette, but all those poinless additions around the hull make it look ugly, almost Lego-like.

I'm also disappointed you went with "Avenger for KDF" approach. I'd rather see something more unique.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Sold.

aaaaa
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My assessment of the Federation/Klingon Empire War being a cold war seems to have been right. USSR launches Sputnik into space and USA puts a man on the moon. Starfleet creates the Avenger while the Klingon Empire has to create the Mogh to prove their superiority. Eventually Starfleet will create another ship that is even superior to the Mogh, then the Klingon Empire would have to make a ship superior to that and so on and so on.
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Even the ship?s windows are covered with armor plating when it goes into battle.
    :eek: That is ****ing awesome!

And about time, really.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Very nice i wish theu covered the seat layout
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jjumetleyjjumetley Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    suaveks wrote: »
    Could you give us an option to un-exaggerate this in the ship tailor? Cause it's by far the worst thing about this ship. I quite like the overall silhouette, but all those poinless additions around the hull make it look ugly, almost Lego-like.

Agree with the above post completely. It would look rugged enough without that additional plating.

I do hope that at least we'll be able to unify the colour of that plating with rest of the hull.
    Dynamic Defense Deployment System
    Sound's like it's something different than the V.A.T.A. console.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Very nice i wish theu covered the seat layout

It is an exact match to the Federation Avenger, unless they chose to change it from the preview we got on Holodeck :)

It is almost guaranteed that I will be buying this ship, cannot wait :D
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    In previous pictures - as well as seen in today's blog - the exaggerated hull plating is gray. In today's blog, we also see it shaded red. So we pick the color. Am I understanding correctly, that what this represents is the Dynamic Defense Deployment System having been activated? If I'm correct, can we also see a picture of the Mogh without the deployment?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ready for tomorrows blog with the details.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • ruinsfateruinsfate Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    " Dynamic Defense Deployment System, a versatile rapid defense deployment weapon designed specifically for the ship"

...Feds make super torp, KDF make defense system...? OHHHHH, THAT explains the Avenger! It's a MIRROR ship.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Okay here's the deal this thursday whether you like it or not you will buy this ship.

Now you are not ordered to use it just to buy it so we can get more KDF ships lol :D

I like how it looks though and awaiting thursday as well as the lore about it that was stated last week :D
    edited December 2013
    psiameese wrote: »
    In previous pictures - as well as seen in today's blog - the exaggerated hull plating is gray. In today's blog, we also see it shaded red. So we pick the color. Am I understanding correctly, that what this represents is the Dynamic Defense Deployment System having been activated? If I'm correct, can we also see a picture of the Mogh without the deployment?

Fleet Material option.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Will it have the traditional fleet skin as well? I am kind of fond of the gold and red
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think she's beautiful and beastly, and I like it like that. Klingons don't need their ships sleek, so the ruggedness works for me. But being able to adjust the armor wouldn't hurt if possible. I hope altering the color works nicely. Looks like I'm gonna need some Zen.

She does have the aggressiveness of the modern Klingon vessels with the style touches of the Vor'cha. I'm especially fond of the bow. The head section is quite cannon like. Reminds me a bit of Megatron...or Shockwave's face.
    jjumetley wrote: »

Sound's like it's something different than the V.A.T.A. console.

It appears to be an inversion of their usual hats. Normally the Federation is all defense, but the VATA is an offensive weapon.

In turn the Mogh has the 3DS as a defensive platform.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I tip my hat to the design team for this ship ... THRILLED with what I've seen and heard about it so far.

She LOOKS Klingon to me ... plus I see design heritage in both versions of her.

I've already got my zen lined up as well as necessary fleet ship modules for the fleet version.

( So glad the fleet I'm in has unlocked the KDF shipyards through Tier V. :D )
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    suaveks wrote: »

I'm also disappointed you went with "Avenger for KDF" approach. I'd rather see something more unique.

Agreed.

But it still looks WAAAAY better than the hideous Avenger with its tiny saucer.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Looks good, as far as I'm concerned. Looks very nice. Sleek, aggressive and built to perform.

Will buy.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    <Starts breaking things and throwing money at screen>

I love it!
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
    edited December 2013
    yreodred wrote: »
    Agreed.

But it still looks WAAAAY better than the hideous Avenger with its tiny saucer.

The Avenger is one of the best looking Starfleet ships ever. Especially since it actually looks a lot more like a working ship, not a spindly oversized holiday ornament that'd fall apart going more than 10km/h.
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I want to complain about stuff like sharing the lifer Destroyer silhouette and the Romulan 3 piece forward weapons emitter but the truth is that this is a well designed ship. I really hope that nacelle style bleeds into the rest of Klingon schematics.

People shouldn't worry about the stand-out plating, with a color change they'll blend right into the hull and look more like the uniform ships we saw in canon.
  • kchundakchunda Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Although I was hoping for a different layout or new raptor for my Tac, I stand ready to support the Empire.

Now I gotta figure out how to replicate my all-cannon Mirror Qin to this new layout:

- - - -
    Comm. Eng: Eptw1, Epts2, Eptw3,???

Lt. Comm Tac: TT1, CRF1, APO1
    Lt. Universal: TT1, CSV1,

Ens. Tac: ??? (Or I switch to -gulp- beams!?)

Lt. Sci: PH, HE
    - - - -

Maybe replicate isn't the right word, just trying to max damage as much as I can. I'm going to miss running APO3.
    Addicted: January 2012

batlh QIH 'ej!
  • divvydavedivvydave Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    <snip>

Fleet avenger is Tier 4 starbase, i'd assume this ship is aswell :)

Still leveling my klingon, but i have to say i like it and i'm sure i'll get it when i have the Zen.
    edited December 2013
    kchunda wrote: »
    Although I was hoping for a different layout or new raptor for my Tac, I stand ready to support the Empire.

Now I gotta figure out how to replicate my all-cannon Mirror Qin to this new layout:

- - - -
    Comm. Eng: Eptw1, Epts2, Eptw3,???

Lt. Comm Tac: TT1, CRF1, APO1
    Lt. Universal: TT1, CSV1,

Ens. Tac: ??? (Or I switch to -gulp- beams!?)

Lt. Sci: PH, HE
    - - - -

Maybe replicate isn't the right word, just trying to max damage as much as I can. I'm going to miss running APO3.

Toss in a dual beam bank up front with those cannons .... then you can spot a Beam Overload power .... or go with a torp and torp power.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
    edited December 2013
    divvydave wrote: »
    <snip>

fleet avenger is Tier 4 starbase, i'd assume this ship is aswell :)

Still leveling my klingon, but i have to say i like it and i'm sure i'll get it when i have the Zen.

It is indeed ... Just saying I'm glad we have all the bases covered ... at least until the spire hit with some ships in it ... working on that as well. :)

• azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I honestly don't like the looks, it does not look Klingon. It looks like some alien tried to mimic the Klingon design by making a ship out of scrap parts form the local dump.

I won't be buying. I doubt this ship offers more than what the Fleet Tor'kaht offers.

BTW, what happened to that Negh'var Geko was talking about? Don't tell me this is it?
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The STO Ship Team shares details about the process behind designing the upcoming Klingon Mogh Battle Cruiser in this entry of the Season 8 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

Put me down for one! I have a very cold dish of 1 year revenge waiting to be served up LOL
  • kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Okay here's the deal this thursday whether you like it or not you will buy this ship.

Now you are not ordered to use it just to buy it so we can get more KDF ships lol :D

I like how it looks though and awaiting thursday as well as the lore about it that was stated last week :D

^^^This is the most important message on this thread.^^^

This ship is the test to see if Cryptics efforts to bolster the KDF have brought them the potential to be profitable. If they lose money on this as they have claimed they have on other ships/zen store items for the KDF I would wager this could be the last investments Cryptic makes specifically in Klingons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kchundakchunda Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    genhauk wrote: »
    Toss in a dual beam bank up front with those cannons .... then you can spot a Beam Overload power .... or go with a torp and torp power.

Oh, right - I don't have to switch ALL out of cannons to leverage that Tac Ens! I forgot about the 5th fwd weapon!

Has been a while since I had a cannon/DBB build, but since I've thrown in my lot with energy that will be my path. And guessing DEM3 or something offensive-minded (Aceton Beam?) will be the Engie's contribution, but I'm sure there will be more talk of how best to kill things when they discuss the layout.

Thanks, genhauk!
    Addicted: January 2012

batlh QIH 'ej!
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ruinsfate wrote: »
    The Avenger is one of the best looking Starfleet ships ever. Especially since it actually looks a lot more like a working ship, not a spindly oversized holiday ornament that'd fall apart going more than 10km/h.

Glad you like it, so far you are the first one i know using the words "best looking" to describe the Avengers appearance, lol.

Even the ship?s windows are covered with armor plating when it goes into battle.
    :cool::cool::cool:
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I really like the looks of this. Will be interested in seeing the stats, even if I can't pick it up right away.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek