test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

People are not going to stay !

gatsie7gatsie7 Member Posts: 141 Arc User
About a month ago one of our new Fleet Members started playing the game and today had stated to me that this game was way to easy and I agreed. Then we began talking about how the STF's at one time were a challenge and he asked me why they changed it, I in turn replied ... To make it stupid easy for the average player however I do not Know the real reason. In further talking to him he had stated that he would and is already getting bored with the game and wondered if it would ever change again I responded not likely.

So now I find myself wondering what will I do when my Star base gets finished and my Hellish grind is over, because he is right the game is easy.

Every mission(pve) queue is nothing but a grind with no real challenge, no tactics needed, no team work needed just come in and shoot the only challenge in the game is to see just how fast you can finish a mission.

I won't leave due to my 1200 plus days playing the game but I never thought I would say this but I miss Gozer and his Brillant original STF's!!

Bring Back GOZER !!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by gatsie7 on

Comments

• Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    gatsie7 wrote: »
    So now I find myself wondering what will I do when my Star base gets finished and my Hellish grind is over, because he is right the game is easy.

Grind a KDF starbase.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Why doesn't Cryptic use foundry missions with STF rewards to us as end game content.
    download.jpg
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Tell your friend if he really likes a challenge, than use a tier 1 ship with single for/aft weapon and have at it. Or assemble a fleet full of shuttle/fighter ships and have at them pesky enemies, this makes for some real fun.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The missions are easier because you have better kit. Rep passives, rep sets, fleet ships, fleet engi consoles, fleet sci consoles, new traits, ...

After a while people will complain and cryptic will roll out harder mobs, then people will complain about those and cryptic will release Mk XV gear and new ships with 12 consoles and Rank 60 and you will grind it all over again, Mr. Hamster.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    People who are big on challenge and achievement make up somewhere between 5 and 20% of most MMOs playerbases.

In turn, the amount of balancing and AI programming needed to satisfy those players usually winds up taking a lot more resources.

As a result, a lot of MMOs have shifted their development priorities.

There are things like No Win Scenario and there has been discussion of a new difficulty level of STFs. I think mission replay and playing Elite deserve better rewards.

But I don't think an MMO will die for being too easy. If it does, it would likely be due to the social effect of high achievers not playing.

In general, I think "Because it's a Star Trek multiplayer game" is going to be a bigger longterm issue than "Because it's challenging" as a reason for the game's survival. Convincing people it feels like Star Trek has been and remains the bigger hurdle here.

Gozer and now Geko both have taken a lot of responsibility for the challenge/ludic/game factor whereas I'd say Daniel Stahl, Thomas the Cat, Kestrel, Jheinig, and Positron (among others, including MOST of the artists) have largely focused on the Trek appeal.

Gozer and Geko's focus has generally been on strong game hooks, whether that's fighting dinosaurs or challenge modes. But when you look at something and say, "That feels like Mass Effect/HALO, etc", that generally seems to go back to people who are focused on the strong gameplay focus. (And Stahl and Thomas in particular do focus on this some.)

Whereas things like the revamped LCARS and lore rich mission content? Well, that's Gozer and Stahl somewhat (mainly Klingon stuff). The TOS centric stuff seems to be the area where Zeronius has been pushing things (and I suspect is also a big deal for Stahl, Kestrel, and Jack Emmert).

But I see a lot of Thomas, Positron, Jesse Heinig, Kestrel, Tacofangs, and such really pushing the Trek lore. (I'm glad to have Positron here, by the way. He's the one who remastered all the Klingon missions with Dorn's voice and Alexander's presence, along with Stahl.)

There is some tradeoff back and forth. Challenge will almost always involve a fraction of the resources because it appeals to a fraction of the players. There's stuff coming but it's also not going to be the primary focus. So, well, I say this as a seasoned player who's been pleased and disappointed at different points... Plan accordingly and give feedback on what you'd like, recognizing that your feedback, unless it's a quick number tweak, may take 6-12 months or more to influence much, even if people at Cryptic love it.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Tell your friend if he really likes a challenge, than use a tier 1 ship with single for/aft weapon and have at it. Or assemble a fleet full of shuttle/fighter ships and have at them pesky enemies, this makes for some real fun.

I think this is an underutilized feature for Cryptic. Now, I think lower tier ships should be private queue only or have separate queues but could be a platform for higher quality rewards.

For example, basic queue could require a T5 ship but there could be extra queues that require lower tier ships for the same content and which give higher quality rewards. Thing is, there's not an easy ground equivalent for this aside from maybe using debuffs on players to up challenge.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Why is everyone so accepting of this? It seems like plain stupidity (for lack of a better word) that one should be ABLE to complete endgame content in a starter ship for the most part without issue, it only serves to highlight a fundamental flaw in the game's difficulty level!

<Insert long tiring to type and read (and therefore missing (it being 2am)) rant here>
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited December 2013
    I think this is an underutilized feature for Cryptic. Now, I think lower tier ships should be private queue only or have separate queues but could be a platform for higher quality rewards.

For example, basic queue could require a T5 ship but there could be extra queues that require lower tier ships for the same content and which give higher quality rewards. Thing is, there's not an easy ground equivalent for this aside from maybe using debuffs on players to up challenge.

I suggested something like that for T1-2 ships. Special queue missions that only those ships can be used.

I see people who have been playing the game long enough to understand how builds work, what to use to counter something, rep's done, T5.5 ships with high end gear crying that the game is too easy. Well No duh it's too easy for you now that you have all that experiance and all that good gear. Race to the top then once you get there you complain that the game is too easy now.

Players want challenge and beg for it but are blind to the fact they have all the challenge they can desire by simply removing the OP gear. slap some T1 weapons and armor on and there is a challenge.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    so your friend has how many accolade points?
    he maxed out his doff diplomacy, etc?
    he already maxed reputation?
    he has stepped into the pvp scene?

a toon isnt finished at level 50.
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm with you on the content difficulty needing to be increased to provide challenging end game content for all the shiny stuff they get you to buy or earn. Going back to a tier 1 or 2 ship is a fail... First off it doesn't sell new stuff for them to make money and second you don't grind your reps all the way up to play inferior gear to make the game challenging.

To be constructive, I would say there needs to be a level of missions that even the best of players have a hard time completing and would even fail at times. This is similar Into The Hive right now but that is the least busy map too... So the rewards would need to follow to encourage people play it. There have been several posts on this topic lately.

As for accolades... very few give you any bonus or buff so really no point in destroying 2000 this or that. The Doff stuff you can do but again for what purpose... busy work? The only reward is diplomatic transwarp but you can do that by selecting a nearby episode and warping where you want. I like reputation but as I mentioned earlier for what purpose if you have no challenge for the gear/passives you acquire by doing it? PvP... I like it but it needs help...

I understand the OP... but I also understand the need to make things attainable for most. The biggest problem is doing things because it's a challenge of skill and build vs. the challenge being because it just needs to get done like busy work to be accomplished. I think too many folks are confusing "challenging" with "stuff to keep you busy." You should want to do the "busy stuff" in the hopes you can do better at the "challenging stuff." My two cents worth, I'm happy playing the game after almost four years but it definitely could use some help in this area.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited December 2013
    mikefl wrote: »
    second you don't grind your reps all the way up to play inferior gear to make the game challenging.

No you grind the reps and buy rep gear to make the game less challenging. If challenge is what you desire then anything that lessens the challenge is counter to what you want and attaining those things is what is the problem. The game is not at fault here, the content is not at fault. it is the players wanting all the best stuff and using that stuff that is.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jetwtf wrote: »
    No you grind the reps and buy rep gear to make the game less challenging. If challenge is what you desire then anything that lessens the challenge is counter to what you want and attaining those things is what is the problem. The game is not at fault here, the content is not at fault. it is the players wanting all the best stuff and using that stuff that is.

Try getting in a commander cruiser using only Mk 10 common gear for a challenge, oh wait a second... that's also EASY!
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    jetwtf wrote: »

That implies there was a challenge to begin with. If you can take Commander gear/ship into a level 50 mission/STF and finish it in 5 minutes then clearly it wasn't challenging to begin with. Like I said, I like the game, the story (which I think most don't ever play anymore), the gear, etc., but when all is said and done, I understand the OP's concern and think there should be harder and more difficult versions like Into the Hive or even harder.
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    the problem with rewarding challenging content with higher rewards is that undergeared and underspecced people will run these missions (for the high reward), fail, blow it for the rest of the team, then complain that 'it isnt fair' and cry for a nerf. next thing you know the challenging mission is made easy mode and the higher reward is included in a rep store.
  • Options
    omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Finding ways to challenge yourself is your responsiblity, its not like the devs haven't given you all the resources to do so. Heck use the foundry to build yourself a challenge.

Or do what I did tod?y by accident and divert all power to engines while fighting the Voth on Elite Spire ;p my dps dropped, but I managed to move around very well ;p
  • Options
    omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ps if you want a challenge play more atmospheric assault.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The devs have shown interest in a Nightmare Mode. There is also the No Win Scenario and PvP against skilled opponents for a real challenge. There is also the issue if your fleetmate knows about changing the difficulty level. If he is finding Elite too easy, then the game is not challenging, but the game is challenging enough for some players and like the casualness of this game.
  • Options
    roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited December 2013
    gatsie7 wrote: »
    Bring Back GOZER !!!!

Unless Gozer is going to redesign the game from the ground up, it won't make a difference. There are some fundamental elements that make tee game easy. It was designed to be easy. Adding difficulty to a game that is designed to be easy just doesn't work well.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    the problem with rewarding challenging content with higher rewards is that undergeared and underspecced people will run these missions (for the high reward), fail, blow it for the rest of the team, then complain that 'it isnt fair' and cry for a nerf. next thing you know the challenging mission is made easy mode and the higher reward is included in a rep store.

This is what I kind of thought as well... which is how we ended up with what we got now. I think it could be linked to unlocking tier V of that respective reputation ensuring people have had the opportunity to obtain better gear and done enough STFs etc to do the harder content. Of course, nothing means someone would be any good because now its just a matter of how many times you complete the missions not how well you've done. I have no doubt anything that come out more difficult will have it's whiners as well.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Gozer is the last thing we need. You know the original three STF's? The ones that have been split into bite-size chunks and turned into hilariously easy runs? That was all Gozer.

How easily people forget...
  • Options
    mindmagemindmage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Gozer is the last thing we need. You know the original three STF's? The ones that have been split into bite-size chunks and turned into hilariously easy runs? That was all Gozer.

I was cheering when that clown left.

I'd like to see the original STFs brought back. TRIBBLE all the whiners demanding easy missions.
    Playing since launch in 2010.
  • Options
    gatsie7gatsie7 Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited December 2013

I do indeed remember those missions and they were a challenge but so doable , If you think they were hard well then you just didn't have the right team or you yourself refused to listen to the rest of the team.

I say this because my first go-round with the cure took me over a month to do until I found others that new what they were doing and we worked together and eventually could do it in under an hour every day.

So YES I remember it and YES I would absolutely be willng to pay for that content to be back in the game.

If players can't work as a team and work together than don't play the mission ! ( We also had the kick from team mission to prevent TROLLS from TRIBBLE it all up )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Finding ways to challenge yourself is your responsiblity, its not like the devs haven't given you all the resources to do so. Heck use the foundry to build yourself a challenge.

Or do what I did tod?y by accident and divert all power to engines while fighting the Voth on Elite Spire ;p my dps dropped, but I managed to move around very well ;p

That just bs. Its not only "find something challanging" but its about making full use of all thr shinies you got.

Basically its like this:
    -- the OP finally got the Ferrari everyone want but now there are no streets long enough and speedlimits everywhere so he can really use the new car at all. It may still look nice but thats about it. Now your argument basically says "dont use your ferrari - go use your bike instead".
    Which is all fine and all except the world depends on ppl buying ferraris or to come back to your statement: cryptic needs loads of ppl buying ships fsms lobigear and basically buying keys to open boxes.

Its like saying yes you can buy the ferrari but you cant really drive it so whats the point?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    That just bs. Its not only "find something challanging" but its about making full use of all thr shinies you got.

Basically its like this:
    -- the OP finally got the Ferrari everyone want but now there are no streets long enough and speedlimits everywhere so he can really use the new car at all. It may still look nice but thats about it. Now your argument basically says "dont use your ferrari - go use your bike instead".
    Which is all fine and all except the world depends on ppl buying ferraris or to come back to your statement: cryptic needs loads of ppl buying ships fsms lobigear and basically buying keys to open boxes.

Its like saying yes you can buy the ferrari but you cant really drive it so whats the point?

This kinda sums it up...
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If I recall correctly, Gozer was also responsible for creating the 3 original STFs.
  • Options
    unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2013

What is the point, indeed. I'd love to see some figures for just what proportion of people buy BMW M-series cars, Ferraris, and other high-performance vehicles actually take them to a track day or go racing (even at the amateur level). I'm guessing it's only a small percentage.

Why do people buy Rolex watches, Louis Vuitton bags, or nice, branded clothes when knockoffs clothes that look almost exactly the same cost a fraction as much (and are sometimes made in the same places as the "real" ones)?

Why do people buy 4WD SUVs or Hummers with military-grade off-road capacity and yet use them for little more than a daily commute to the shops?

Marketing works. Branding works. People buy things for reasons other than "practicality", which would explain why so many whiners on this forum demand a T5 TOS Constitution-class, so the things they prefer purely out of aesthetics can "matter" in practical concerns (like STFs).

In fact, we should be thankful that many of the things we can opt to buy/work for in STO have practical use, if only for making an easy game even easier. If I buy an Avenger tomorrow (impossible, since I bought an Avenger yesterday :D ), I can more or less rest assured that, provided I know what I'm doing and how to fly it right, I'll be able to do better in my next Infected Elite run than I was in a free Sovereign or somesuch.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

You are aware that he did that under instructions from management and that he designed the originals for the most part too, right?

My concern is that he never made the ground STFs accessible enough because he was hedging for challenge, not that he over-nerfed them.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    *doubleposted*
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    What is the point, indeed. I'd love to see some figures for just what proportion of people buy BMW M-series cars, Ferraris, and other high-performance vehicles actually take them to a track day or go racing (even at the amateur level). I'm guessing it's only a small percentage.

Why do people buy Rolex watches, Louis Vuitton bags, or nice, branded clothes when knockoffs clothes that look almost exactly the same cost a fraction as much (and are sometimes made in the same places as the "real" ones)?

Why do people buy 4WD SUVs or Hummers with military-grade off-road capacity and yet use them for little more than a daily commute to the shops?

Marketing works. Branding works. People buy things for reasons other than "practicality", which would explain why so many whiners on this forum demand a T5 TOS Constitution-class, so the things they prefer purely out of aesthetics can "matter" in practical concerns (like STFs).

In fact, we should be thankful that many of the things we can opt to buy/work for in STO have practical use, if only for making an easy game even easier. If I buy an Avenger tomorrow (impossible, since I bought an Avenger yesterday :D ), I can more or less rest assured that, provided I know what I'm doing and how to fly it right, I'll be able to do better in my next Infected Elite run than I was in a free Sovereign or somesuch.

Thats not the point. Ofc it *kinda* works just based on status/looks bit imagine how many ppl would try to get their hands on a rolex or ferrari if they allowed them to do something normally impossible. Like if there was a road for ferraris only. If yoh make a mission rewarding something nice like the kirks protege title or sonething else ppl want then you could just add more reasons to get them not just plain looks.

If i already destroy everything in this game without problem on my recluse fed eng why would i even consider getting say the avenger? I dont necessarly want p2w stuff - i like how sto works in that regard - but something to strive for something to bamg my head against over and over. Sonething like nws elite and same for ground and maybe even a whole ultra elite version of the whole sphere. I love the sphere ground very much its just to easy. Its great for farming but not so great for really fun play.

Put in another way: the game gives you very soon after starting to play the feeling of totslly owning the whole content and thus the "i beat this game"-feeling comes up and ppl quickly switch to another game.

What i want to see is something like nws elite but like protecting a moving freighter. And that should ne integrated into a chain of missions like the old stfs where there are like 5 missions and designed that hard that ppl will not get further that mission part 2-3 on start. So you dont even know whats coming in mission 4-5+.