test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mark XII reputation engines to warp 14???

sikozasikoza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Please make the MK XII reputation engines go a bit faster in sector space.
( Just like the omega reputation and fleet engines ).

Got the engines from the Dyson set the other day. Screwed them onto my ship. Took my baby out for a spin. Warp 9,97. Hmm kinda disappointing.

It's kinda nice going faster then warp 10. And switching back and forth between engines is possible but why do we have to???

And yes there are reason's why not to make em go faster and reason's why they should. But I'm not going to go there. This is just an idea I wanted to throw out there (here) also because I browsed the forum and could not find any post related to this issue.

*** Also sub-classes to each forum section would help. You can browse to a generalized theme but after that it's chaos in my opinion of course. Or maybe I'm just clueless about forum's.
Post edited by sikoza on

Comments

• zordar01zordar01 Member Posts: 318
    edited November 2013
    I think the warp 9.97+ aspect should be removed from engines and made into a ship device instead. Then we could mount whatever engines we wanted while not doing the space-age-Amish thing in sector space. Besides, we need more ship devices worth slotting anyway.
    Star Trek: Online - Now with 100% more dinosaurs!!
  • oddboyoutoddboyout Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Not to be too pedantic, but it should really be warp cores that raise the limit now that we have them. Maybe all Mk XI warp cores could hit Warp 11; Mk XII--Warp 12?

You wouldn't have to be as concerned about switching which items you use. Everything else could stay how it is, and the existing warp boost from the Borg engines would supercede your warp core if you had them equipped.
  • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited November 2013
    I have Borg Mk X engines, and they do anything between Warp 20.93 and Warp 24.43, depending on which character and which ship. Going into slipstream increases the 20.93 to about 29, and increases the 24.43 to about 32. I find these speeds to be quite sufficient. I don't need to be somewhere yesterday in STO (and if I did, I'd just get a TARDIS).
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Not to be too pedantic, but it should really be warp cores that raise the limit now that we have them. Maybe all Mk XI warp cores could hit Warp 11; Mk XII--Warp 12?

You wouldn't have to be as concerned about switching which items you use. Everything else could stay how it is, and the existing warp boost from the Borg engines would supercede your warp core if you had them equipped

That's how they do work right now, with the exception that you only need Mk.Xs to reach the cap. ;)

Mk.I Core: Warp 5, Mk.II: 5.6, Mk.III: 6.1, Mk.IV: 6.7......Mk.IX: 9.4, Mk.X+: 10

They reset the scale a while back so that Warp only goes up to Warp 10. Transwarp is only possible with Maco, Borg engines and Quantum Slipstream.

IIRC it was mentioned in one of the podcasts that they kept the transwarp ability on the 2 rep-impulse engines due to their fear of people raging...
    edited November 2013
    That's how they do work right now, with the exception that you only need Mk.Xs to reach the cap. ;)

Mk.I Core: Warp 5, Mk.II: 5.6, Mk.III: 6.1, Mk.IV: 6.7......Mk.IX: 9.4, Mk.X+: 10

They reset the scale a while back so that Warp only goes up to Warp 10. Transwarp is only possible with Maco, Borg engines and Quantum Slipstream.

IIRC it was mentioned in one of the podcasts that they kept the transwarp ability on the 2 rep-impulse engines due to their fear of people raging...

Yes that is how they work--I didn't say otherwise. I feel like all I can do in response to your post is to repeat myself because you seem oblivious of what you responded to.

I'm suggesting by default Mk XII warp cores (of any kind) should raise the limit--that limit is Warp 10--to Warp 12 so you don't have to concern yourself with swapping out your engines for combat. And I also said they should leave the stats on those Reputation engines and have them supercede the warp core stats.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Legacy of Romulus recently increased warp travel speeds by quite a bit...

Warp 9.97 is effectively the canon 'hard cap' for warp travel. Going faster than that in STO is a bit erroneous in terms of "warp" speed. Going faster than that requires special means(like tunneling through subspace with transwarp).

Really, I think the current 'warp 10' is a perfectly acceptable speed at max level(it's about as fast as borg engines at slipstream used to be). Sure, I have some characters with their 'experimental' engines that are able to max out around "Warp 40", but their uncommon nature makes them more.. believable.
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    oddboyout wrote: »
    Yes that is how they work--I didn't say otherwise. I feel like all I can do in response to your post is to repeat myself because you seem oblivious of what you responded to.

I'm suggesting by default Mk XII warp cores (of any kind) should raise the limit--that limit is Warp 10--to Warp 12 so you don't have to concern yourself with swapping out your engines for combat. And I also said they should leave the stats on those Reputation engines and have them supercede the warp core stats.

That is not what you wrote. You have to work on your communication skills and your grasp on the english language if you intend to communicate in a forum and want other readers to understand what you're writing.

I take it, English isn't your first language?
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited November 2013
    zordar01 wrote: »
    I think the warp 9.97+ aspect should be removed from engines and made into a ship device instead. Then we could mount whatever engines we wanted while not doing the space-age-Amish thing in sector space. Besides, we need more ship devices worth slotting anyway.

The way impulse engines increase warp speed has to do with a ships power. Usualy Impulse is emergency power and non critical systems while the warp core produces power for everything else even when at maximum warp. An impulse engine can assist the warp core in maintaining more systems so the warp core can devote more power to warp travel.

Moving warp speed modifiers to a ship device makes no sense.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have fleet elite impulse engines and the sound they make is annoying, so if I can trade the the sector space speed for less annoyance I concider that a good deal. The one trade off is that they're faster it seems then my fleet elite iimpulse engines in normal space, where I can best use the extra speed. I mean between slip stream and transwarp, I simply don't use warp drive for long periods very often, and when I do, I use the time to doff or other things like that, so that's a trade off I'm okay with. Honestly I've looked at the costs vs. benifits of both the Dyson Space Technology Set and Proton Aresonal set and these will be the first sets I bother to get. While I have to sacrifice some things, it will improve things in three main areas, impulse speed, tanking, photon weapons. Extra bonuses it will give my Fleet Corsair a more unique appearance compared to other Corsairs, it will give me Proton Barrage (enhanced by my Proton Particle Stabilizer console), and 26 points in Particle Generators. Oh and no annoying fx of fleet elite impulse engines.I do appear to lose some aux power, 17.5 starship manuvuers, 17.5 targeting sensors, and the 10% decrease to science abilities, and some aux power.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have fleet elite impulse engines and the sound they make is annoying, so if I can trade the the sector space speed for less annoyance I concider that a good deal. The one trade off is that they're faster it seems then my fleet elite iimpulse engines in normal space, where I can best use the extra speed. I mean between slip stream and transwarp, I simply don't use warp drive for long periods very often, and when I do, I use the time to doff or other things like that, so that's a trade off I'm okay with. Honestly I've looked at the costs vs. benifits of both the Dyson Space Technology Set and Proton Aresonal set and these will be the first sets I bother to get. While I have to sacrifice some things, it will improve things in three main areas, impulse speed, tanking, photon weapons. Extra bonuses it will give my Fleet Corsair a more unique appearance compared to other Corsairs, it will give me Proton Barrage (enhanced by my Proton Particle Stabilizer console), and 26 points in Particle Generators. Oh and no annoying fx of fleet elite impulse engines.I do appear to lose some aux power, 17.5 starship manuvuers, 17.5 targeting sensors, and the 10% decrease to science abilities, and some aux power.

Its not really a unique sound to the fleet engines. Its the switch from warp to transwarpspeed a ship does. Fleet Impulse drives just enable them to do so. MACO impulse does the same (or adapted honor guard which is MACO with KDF colors). If you go to max speed with your fleet drive read the numbers of the speedbar. Field and sound starts when going from warp 9,97 to transwarp 10+ .
  • zordar01zordar01 Member Posts: 318
    edited November 2013
    jetwtf wrote: »
    The way impulse engines increase warp speed has to do with a ships power. Usualy Impulse is emergency power and non critical systems while the warp core produces power for everything else even when at maximum warp. An impulse engine can assist the warp core in maintaining more systems so the warp core can devote more power to warp travel.

You're getting bogged down in semantics. Call the device whatever you want (transwarp coil, slipstream geometry modulator, etc). In Voyager, they actually used a transwarp coil to get through a good portion of their journey. They just added it to their ship (kinda like a device). No reason we can't do that now.
    Star Trek: Online - Now with 100% more dinosaurs!!
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    carry a borg engine in your inventory. Once you are in sector space then change it, but don't forget to change it back to whatever you have been using before battle or orbital space.

yes, that doesn't make sense..changing engines like lego toys but then again it is virtual world :D
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    Nevermind, don't want to be argumentative.
  • sikozasikoza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It could be argued that Dyson Joined Command and Task Force Omega reputations are the same in that it is a Joined Task Force, Therefore it could be argued that the quality of gear, in this case the engines should probably be of the same general standard (unless adding the Romulans into the mix made research doggy or whatever). Thus why don't they have the warp 13 or 14 ability??

Then again the counter argument would obviously be that the Dyson gear was designed for different purposes. In this case, not for the use of sector space travel but solely for the purpose of travel inside the Dyson Sphere.

I can go on and ooonnn so I'm calling it quits for now.
  • miroexinmiroexin Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    oddboyout wrote: »

That is not what you wrote. You have to work on your communication skills and your grasp on the english language if you intend to communicate in a forum and want other readers to understand what you're writing.

I take it, English isn't your first language?

You are very rude.

I understood what he meant in his first post and english is not my first language.

If you have problems grasping, what is it that other people are trying to say, you can always kindly ask them, too explain it to you, slowly.
    After 21 crafting assignments and burning 1575 dil to bypass 2h building time to build MK II dual cannon I got:
    0, yes zero very rare AP MK II dual canons
    p.s. I will execute my rare Jam’hadar who is serving under me for 1,5 years for incompetence it’s just a MK II dual canon, he is Energy Weapons Officer not a Doctor.
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Borg engines always top the shopping list for the contraband mules.
  • urniv821urniv821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    oh lord

Just switch your engines and lets move onto more important TRIBBLE that needs fixes and such lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Your Javelin deals 125417 (89066) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Tholian Recluse. > lol
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I agree with the OP 100%, the Fleet Warp Cores should break the transwarp barrier full stop (or should I say all ahead?). They should also have an innate coil buff that doesn't take up a modifier. These are supposed to be the creme de la creme of warp drive cores. And compared to Q's anti time future, we're supposed to have warp 13 engines (14 years ago).

I was deeply disappointed when I looked at them and they all had that warp 10 limit. If they were just going to cap the top of the line cores at the normal warp 10, why mention it at all?

Grandfather in the MACO and Borg Impulse engines and upgrade the advanced cores to transwarp. And I thought the Honor Guard engines didn't give transwarp speed?

And am I the only one that finds it weird that the subspace rift warp core enhances the slipstream drive rather than the warp drive?
    jetwtf wrote: »

That is incorrect.

Impulse engines are sublight engines and auxiliary power. The warp core produces an order of magnitude more power (at least) than an Impulse engine it doesn't need it's help in truth even at warp. The power the ship needs to run gets taken out before the plasma even makes it to the nacelles, it's not an issue.

But I agree warp speed modifiers to a device is illogical. The fact that we have warp cores now means all (new) warp speed modifiers should be on the core.
    skollulfr wrote: »
    an impulse engine is a plasma fusion rocket. hence the bussard collectors.
    the warp core is used at sublight speed to gain a mass reduction effect.(that being used as a to call mass effect a star trek inspired game) although not seen in the shows, its in the books.

the warp core is a bit of a misnomer in that its simply the power source, its the warp nacelles that generate the warp field using energy from the core's anti-matter reaction.

The bussard collectors are actually used at warp. (there's a complex system with the navigational deflector to funnel the hydrogen in) And while the warp drive can be used at sublight to move the ship at fractions of waro, the impulse engines actually have their own space-time driver coils that reduce the mass of the ship. Remember ST TMP, when the Enterprise boosted out of Earth orbit at Warp .5? That was all the impulse engines. Warp drive wasn't even online.

I think it's best to say Warp Drive system. The nacelles are equally useless without the core and it's high energy plasma. But the M/ARA has a lot more to do with the ships warp speeds than the impulse engines. Furthermore I don't think we need to add nacelles to the item list. Having the warp core be representative of the entire system works just fine for me.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,003 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't get why MACO of all those rep engines has the warp 10+ modifier. I get the Borg engines, but why only MACO and not KHG as well?

It's a minor thing and you can always bring the borg engines along in your inventory, though I'd like a retro update to the KHG engines and possibly omega to increase sector travel speed to MACO level, borg engines still better than the others.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Warp 9.97 is effectively the canon 'hard cap' for warp travel. Going faster than that in STO is a bit erroneous in terms of "warp" speed. Going faster than that requires special means(like tunneling through subspace with transwarp).

And the Vulcans at the beginning of Enterprise believed Warp 5 was the absolute limit (Mind you, they believed a lot of things, most of them erroneous). Technology and understanding moves on. Who's to say that some researchers somewhere can't simply have a breakthrough?

On an in-game note though: I don't mind the current speed at all, its not all that slow, and it gives me enough time to browse through DOff assignments.
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    We should be able to instantly zap from one point to another point in the game. The travelling is so 19th century.

Look how Kahn managed to teleport from Earth to QnoS without a ship.
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vampirialvampirial Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I love my borg engines, transwarp 20+ FTW
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gonalius wrote: »
    And the Vulcans at the beginning of Enterprise believed Warp 5 was the absolute limit (Mind you, they believed a lot of things, most of them erroneous).

Can you provide a source for this claim? Because in Season 1 they clearly stated that the speed of a Vulcan combat cruiser is warp 7.
    Why the heck should the Vulcans believe that the absolut limit is warp 5 (125c) when they already have ships that can go more than twice as fast (343c)?
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    zordar01 wrote: »

I disagree, yes, the sector (warp) speed should be de-coupled from the IMPULSE engines, but where they have it attached to the warp core/singularity core is indeed accurate.

And for the original poster, the reason the Borg/MACO, and the older rep impulse engines affecting (in some cases) your sector speed, is because they were made & implemented before the warp core thing was put into place. If they had done the Omega rep (for example), after the warp & singularity core slots & devices had been implemented, then yes, likely the rep impulse drives would likely not have been a factor in your sector speed, instead, they would have likely had a warp drive rep item to buy, that would have done that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Can you provide a source for this claim? Because in Season 1 they clearly stated that the speed of a Vulcan combat cruiser is warp 7.
    Why the heck should the Vulcans believe that the absolut limit is warp 5 (125c) when they already have ships that can go more than twice as fast (343c)?

It may not have been Warp 5, but I could have sworn a lower limit was mentioned in an early episode of Enterprise. However as I've not seen any episodes since they were first televised in the UK, my memory may be faulty.
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't know about the shows, but in plenty of the novels, it was mentioned, that before duo-tronics, the max effective warp was around 2.5 (mainly because they would have to make "jumps", then re-scan, to ensure they didn't run into something.
    Then, after that, but before warp drives would be focused through dilithium crystals, the max warp was around 5 or 6.
    Later, between TOS, and TNG, they changed the measuring scale, from being literally a warp factor, ie: 1, 2x2, 3x3x3, etc. It went to a logarithmic scale: 1, 1x10, 1x100, etc. So the "new warp 4, say is far more faster than the "old" warp 4.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • starke1701starke1701 Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    misterde3 wrote: »

Remember, the entire warp scale was revised at some point between TOS and TNG. Which is part of why TOS has ships traveling well over Warp 10. Because the conversation wasn't confusing enough already.
  • chaosgod777chaosgod777 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    starke1701 wrote: »
    Remember, the entire warp scale was revised at some point between TOS and TNG. Which is part of why TOS has ships traveling well over Warp 10. Because the conversation wasn't confusing enough already.

You also have to note that this scale wasnt produced in tos, it was ent, the latest series in the bunch. As for the arguement of transwarp and our current warp scale... I think it is silly that all Admiral class ships, aka the Mk-X and higher warp cores arnt capable of moving past transwarp speeds except for slipstream. Voyager raided, incorperated, and studied borg transwarp technology. The delta flyer even flew in transwarp condouits of its own creation after having a coil installed. they brought a borg with knowledge of transwarp systems back to earth and yet roughly 20 years later the federation still can't break the transwarp barrier except for a Special engine and a stolen engine?! nonsense. We have our own transwarp hubs for crying out loud, so why can our shops not make their own Psudo-condouits like borg ships can?! the answer is shear lazyness to not take into account the 20 years of history following the cannon timeline. By this point all ships should be capable of transwarp travel. So an argument can be made that all mk-X or mk-XI and up warp cores should be capable of advanced transwarp travel as well as slipstream.

I'm not ranting, but just adding a few fine points I noticed wern't being addressed in this discussion.
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's annoying having to swap the borg engines in and out whenever I sector travel.