test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Feature Episodes Rerun Ending Soon! Earn FREE Lobi! [Now Ended]

13»

Comments

• phreakbeephreakbee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    For a limited time, the Feature Episode Series are once again offering their special, unique rewards* for completion! Also, we're offering a new way to earn FREE Lobi daily! Read more for details.

Click here to read more.

GREAT! More craptic/PEW goodies many of us can't get because the game crashes on loading. Just like the last update 2 months ago. And on top of bugs like an abandoned ghetto tenement, and crashes like waves on the North Shore.
    I can't wait until a more reliable outfit buys up the STO franchise and restores it to the way it was when STO began. I'll still play, but the Chinese craptic/PEW won't get another dime from me, and won't install their spyware on my laptops either.
  • astlorastlor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Silly question perhaps, but will the Lobi event be extended to help those of us affected by the horrible graphics issues caused by the latest patch? (See: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=927251&page=16)

The game plateaus*. During this plateau life is mighty boring. There are players who have lives, jobs, etc and can't afford to grind. This Lobi thing looked like the greatest idea...it would get us really close to our goal of a Good Ship with only a minimum of grinding...

...except for the part where a patch came out and snatched away the ladder that would have led us away from the tedium of killing Boar(g)s.

To be blunt, I don't really see much reward in playing the same underpowered everything for months on end to get to the point where I can begin to get a competitive build. Please take folks such as myself into consideration, Cryptic.

Thank you for your time.

* I've only been at this a few months, but I've cranked about >$100 into the tin in hopes of getting some fun stuff to play with and have ended up bitterly disappointed. I can't use the fleet modules I have (due to the incredible time it takes to drag a fleet to a useful status), I can't seem to get enough Lobi to buy the ship I want and despite $75 worth of lock boxes I've got nothing to show for it.

For the particular type of character I'm trying to create, the second best ship is a Tal Shiar Adapted Battlecruiser. That's 800 Lobi. Currently, I'm not going to make it, in large part thanks to the glitch. My Fleet will take months to get to the point where I could get the Fleet Avenger (the best ship for my character type, at the moment.)

Basically I am trying to decide if I should continue to invest time (and ultimately money) into this game, or give. Getting Lobi seems to be either a miserably time-intensive or incredibly expensive process. This limits access to good ships. If you happen to be in a fleet that hasn't gotten it's tier IV shipyard yet you can't get things like the Fleet Avenger or what-have-you either.
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    That 75$ couldve been spent on buyimg fleet mods to sell on the exchange. Wouldve got you damn close to buying any lockbox ship besides the jhas. Essentially, you played the lottery and lost.

?nd a thought, why not leave your fleet, join a t4 fleet, buy the fleet avenger and then rejoin your old fleet?
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
    edited November 2013
    I'm not particularly attached to my fleet, I simply have no idea how to find and join a T4 fleet. I also realise that I didn't make "optimal" use of my Zen, but again, that's largely a "noob mistake." I only have a few hours a month to spend on this game, or on research for this game.

To be honest, I was sort of relying on Cryptic to provide a game that was well balanced, a pleasure to play and carefully considered at all points to avoid things like "experience plateaus" and need for excessive grinding. I figured that if you used the advertised methods of giving the developer money (lock boxes being the most heavily advertised) your progression through the game would be adequate, entertaining and reasonably competitive even if you were a casual gamer.

I was apparently wrong. So yes, I should probably have done more research before spending the $, but that gets us right back into the same issue: grinding. Instead of killing boar(g)s, you are math-hacking all the potential ways to get your desired item(s). It's just spending your time with spreadsheets instead of Boar(g)s.

It is my first MMO. I mostly have been an RTS player before this. (Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander, etc.) Based on this experience, however, it looks like it will be my last MMO. Designed for the "casual gamer" STO is not. I think you actually need to be a student (or have OCD) for it to be any fun past level 50, at least as it is currently designed. Disappointing.
  • ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    astlor wrote: »

It is my first MMO.

it looks like it will be my last MMO.

Designed for the "casual gamer" STO is not.

Instead of killing boar(g)s, you are math-hacking all the potential ways to get your desired item(s).

I also realise that I didn't make "optimal" use of my Zen, but again, that's largely a "noob mistake."

Wow there is just so much...
    1. STO is FTP you weren't having fun with what you got for free so you decided to spend some money...now you're not happy with the value you received.

2. Killing Boars (WOW) is fun, but its not FTP. If STO is your first MMO then you've never killed boars otherwise it would be your second MMO. Every now and then I get free time offers from WOW but it's not worth my time any more. Oh they also simplified everything too much.

3. Next time you don't have to do research but don't be surprised if you end up with the same result.

STO has many issues, but the only thing I am worried about is if they make ARC mandatory.

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • tengufangirl1tengufangirl1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm not particularly attached to my fleet, I simply have no idea how to find and join a T4 fleet. I also realise that I didn't make "optimal" use of my Zen, but again, that's largely a "noob mistake." I only have a few hours a month to spend on this game, or on research for this game.

To be honest, I was sort of relying on Cryptic to provide a game that was well balanced, a pleasure to play and carefully considered at all points to avoid things like "experience plateaus" and need for excessive grinding. I figured that if you used the advertised methods of giving the developer money (lock boxes being the most heavily advertised) your progression through the game would be adequate, entertaining and reasonably competitive even if you were a casual gamer.

I was apparently wrong. So yes, I should probably have done more research before spending the $, but that gets us right back into the same issue: grinding. Instead of killing boar(g)s, you are math-hacking all the potential ways to get your desired item(s). It's just spending your time with spreadsheets instead of Boar(g)s.

It is my first MMO. I mostly have been an RTS player before this. (Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander, etc.) Based on this experience, however, it looks like it will be my last MMO. Designed for the "casual gamer" STO is not. I think you actually need to be a student (or have OCD) for it to be any fun past level 50, at least as it is currently designed. Disappointing.

You don't have to grind, because you do not need elite equipment to do PvE. You should just lean back and enjoy what you have. I have great fun in STO as a casual gamer. Playing for no more than 40 minutes at a time, finish an elite STF, set up reputation projects, duty officer assignments, run a foundry mission, etc. In a free ship, using mission rewards and reputation gear as I unlock them. Just like lock box stuff, they are a REWARD and not a REQUIREMENT. When I open a lock box, I am like "yay more Lobi", and sometimes "look a console! What does it do? This sounds fun, lets try it out!" or "wow, temporal assignment, I just LOVE time travel stories". I don't think anyone should think "****, only 4 Lobi crystals, I need 547 more to be competitive, next box! What the **** is this ******, I need a good ship, not this crappy ****, come on!"

As for PvP, if you could beat top tier players by investing not even one tenth of money and time they did, that would be just unfair to them.
    edited November 2013
    You are correct, silly me. I am obviously trapped in the past. A past where paying over $100 would get you all the bits required to play the full and complete version of a game. In something like STO, I would that would be "the ability to play PVP without getting consistently vaporized within two seconds of contact."

Obviously that's not a price point that Cryptic believes in, nor one that the community believes is reasonable. I see I have made an error in choosing this game to spend my time on.

Thank you for clearing that up. I will seek entertainment elsewhere.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited December 2013
    For only a short while longer, the Feature Episode Series are offering their special, unique rewards* for completion! And don't forget that you can still earn FREE Lobi daily until it ends! Full details can be found here.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You are correct, silly me. I am obviously trapped in the past. A past where paying over $100 would get you all the bits required to play the full and complete version of a game. In something like STO, I would that would be "the ability to play PVP without getting consistently vaporized within two seconds of contact."

Obviously that's not a price point that Cryptic believes in, nor one that the community believes is reasonable. I see I have made an error in choosing this game to spend my time on.

Thank you for clearing that up. I will seek entertainment elsewhere.

Around $50 would do that. Beyond that is knowledge/skill which hundreds of dollars wouldn't make up for a lack of.
  • druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For only a short while longer, the Feature Episode Series are offering their special, unique rewards* for completion! And don't forget that you can still earn FREE Lobi daily until it ends! Full details can be found here.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

And what about the players who got shafted for several days/weeks due to faulty programming, making them unable to launch the game?
  • mathewprime1mathewprime1 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    druhin wrote: »
    And what about the players who got shafted for several days/weeks due to faulty programming, making them unable to launch the game?

Yes! what about us?!
    Fleet Admiral Mathew Prime.
  • emperorandyemperorandy Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    they've stopped rewarding lobi for me the last couple of days
  • palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    commonsense? it would be nice if they were put under the FE tab for all level 10 characters to play
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.