12346»

Comments

• Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Snip...

Oh my, now who is being paranoid.

Just not going to go there....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    toonslavetoonslave Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Do you speak for the whole Perfect World Community when you say "nobody"???

I have Many Fleet Mates that do enjoy Arc....

"Arc" sucks, It is running all the time(maybe that's fault). It should be our choice if we want it or not. To make ppl download, install and run this program just to play STO, well I might as well give them my Pc. If I "Exit" out of "Arc", the game will not run...LAME-LAME-LAME

We have TS3 for communication, in game chat window and what else!!? It is not useful to me and I am sure to many others, who just do not choose to get into these...um...these talks. This "Arc" should be a choice, not a "Must Have", I didn't have it before to play STO and I do not want it now.
  • Options
    dezstravusdezstravus Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hey All,

Thanks to everyone that has posted their feedback. Please note that we are looking at everyone's comments, and consider everyone's perspective to be valuable.

One clarification that I would like to make very clearly is that privacy and security are very important to us. We are committed to ensuring that our players needs in these regards are respected, so please escalate any reports or issues to us and we will be happy to review the claims.

Please note that Arc does not collect or submit any personal data without your permission. While some players have noticed situations where Arc accesses the hard drive or the internet, these are normal application behaviors for downloading and patching games, and are not related to the gathering or submitting of any personal information.

Please note that if we see any reports of Arc collecting or submitting information when it shouldn't, we are 100% committed to investigating those claims and taking the appropriate action, though please keep in mind that we will need concrete, reproducible steps and evidence in order to verify 100% that the issue is valid.
  • Options
    dezstravusdezstravus Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    In your opinion. My opinion says otherwise. I wont clarify my statements because I do not want to go down that road, and open a can of worms that I am not prepared to take on.

I have seen enough for my own mind, what you choose to do is of little importance to me, much like mine to you.
    Not being paranoid, I just care about what I install and what it is doing on my machines.
    When it does something I think is not right within the boundaries of what the program needs to do, I have a problem with it.

But whatever, in your own words.

Hi Sunfracks,

I wanted to thank you personally for posting your thoughts and findings about Arc. Even though we were not able to confirm the issue on our end, it is still important to us that we treat these reports as a high priority, and are happy to look into any future reports that are related to Arc and customer privacy.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Hi Sunfracks,

I wanted to thank you personally for posting your thoughts and findings about Arc. Even though we were not able to confirm the issue on our end, it is still important to us that we treat these reports as a high priority, and are happy to look into any future reports that are related to Arc and customer privacy.

I won't ever use it since the one time I did attempt to use it. It installed multiple copies of STO and now it clutters up my desktop with random files. I absolutely hate this ARC TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Hi Sunfracks,

Hi Dezstravus,

Thank you for taking the time to look into my issues. I accept that will my limited knowledge, experience and tools, I cannot 100% say it is all down to Arc, and not some other normal operations my test rig was doing.

I still do not trust this iteration of Arc, and that wont change anytime soon, but I am willing to look at the new version that comes later on.

All that I and the other users ask, is you take our feedback on board and implement it. :)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    alexsanderitaalexsanderita Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    hebda wrote: »
    I just downloaded and installed the current version of the Arc Platform.

I don't understand the resource argument.

As for the data collection, I haven't noticed anything, but that doesn't mean that it isn't happening.

So this tells all, because you didn't notice what everyone else noticed. :rolleyes:

Why don't you just read ALL pages to have an informed opinion before posting like I did?

If you did, you would have known that almost unanimity don't want Arc, for the said reasons that have been found by many.

Good reading. :cool:
    I still dream from time to time about using the Gateway to doff off-game in spare minutes as we were told
  • Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Dezstravus,

First, I would like to state (as I have done previously) that I do not want to use ARC to play the 1 PWE game, STO.
    Please have a seperate, standalone launcher for STO after ARC becomes mandatory.

Now, since ARC is going to forced onto the unwilling (like myself) then there is something I would like to be considered.
    We have a few options to acquire Zen in STO.
    But what I find to be similar to my suggestion is the "earn Zen" option.
    We're going to BE bombarded by ads for other PWE content...whether we want them or not.
    Since we can't enable any type of adblocking feature (kind of defeats the purpose of ARC) then I believe there should be some type of incentive.

BEHOLD...the bast**d child of Greed and Lethargy...the Zen Meter.

For every hour we endure this ARC-thingy's unwanted, seizure enducing ads of games we dare not touch with our mice (much less our wallets) we receive Zen.
    Notice I didn't say "free" Zen because...well, you're forcing us into ARC so we don't really choose to be exposed to these ads.
    ARC will be scanning our drives and stuff so it's like filling out a survey...sort of.

So, there you go.

How much Zen?
    IDK...really...I don't.
    Does 10 Zen/hour sound outlandish?
    I guess it can get abused...meh.
    Just an idea.
    My only other idea is to use Steam, a proven client btw, until that gets axed by PWE.
    Then I'll go back to my Xbox.
    OR I'll check out SWTOR...it can't be THAT bad.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    phreakbeephreakbee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Do you speak for the whole Perfect World Community when you say "nobody"???

Just the players, not the spambot appologists or people with TRIBBLE Japanese midget TRIBBLE fetishes.

I have Many Fleet Mates that do enjoy Arc....

... And the seeming majority disagree's with you on allowing a company owned by a nation famous for copyright infringement, theft of intelectual property, espionage (both corporate and governmental), internet snooping (ie:why people have to use peer blocking programs), etcetera.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Again, why fix that is not broken? The current launcher works fine.

All the better to spy on you, my dear.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The only feedback I want you to address is the spyware Arc currently uses.

When I click on NO, I expect nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing is to be scanned, logged and/or sent to PWE servers.

The current Arc program still periodically scans all my local hard drives (I have Arc on a Virtual machine which is isolated from my network) , and then tries to send the data to PWE, even though I click on NO.
    What it is scanning for I do not know, but even if you call them usage stats, it is still against my permission because I clicked NO.

If those usage stats are not covered in that option, then they need to be before I would trust it to be installed on my computers....

I so much agree with this post, and then some. My additional question would be: Without flaming people about some percieved shortcomings in education, intelectual capacity, or percieved flaws or abscences in hard/software and without appologising for what the minority/majority allegedly thinks..... Why is it at every update/season update a large minority can't get past the cryptic load screen? And why is it that despite people in tribble/beta testing complaining that something doesn't work or causes problems, does cryptic go ahead and include that very same issue in it's final product release?

Just askin' y'know?
  • Options
    defcon1776defcon1776 Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I know STO will survive after the launch of ARC and that is because there are enough sheeple in this world that do not care about their personal privacy or internet security.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." Q
    Join the 44th Fleet. [FED and KDF] Apply Online: startrek.44thfleet.com
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I found an interesting yet recent story regarding an LG smart tv, and our EU data protection laws.

I suggest Cryptic/PWE reads this, as well as anyone who lives in the EU like I do.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25018225
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I found an interesting yet recent story regarding an LG smart tv, and our EU data protection laws.

I suggest Cryptic/PWE reads this, as well as anyone who lives in the EU like I do.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25018225

you mean UK.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,529 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The only thing I would like to see for ARC: Update 3 is.... Cancelled!
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The only thing I would like to see for ARC: Update 3 is.... Cancelled!

Agreed, but far more likely is an announcement like:

"Okay, we're busted. The entire reason ARC must be always on and running in the background is to send us information on you like we're hopeless stalkers. So now that you know what we're up to...we're gonna do it anyway, but only after we've made sure the game simply will not run, period, without our little monitor running."

I mean really, they seriously expect us to believe they're attached in some serious way to having this program idling in the background but not because they want it doing something?

P.S.: Will any part of this "Website Technology Upgrade" actually fix the perpetual "redirect loop" that has denied me access to Support via anything other than email for close to 2 years now? Y'know, while we're "upgrading" our "website technologies?" I mean, what with "user experience" being soooooo important and all that.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    As I previsouly said in the following thread, the overall issue is all about trust.

Link: My Post to Dezstravus
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    you mean UK.

That news is from the UK yes, but the laws govern the whole of the EU, not just the UK..
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What I do not like is something using up system resources when I am running the games it launches. Why can't we have an option to have it turn itself of after launching a game?
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Here's an idea for ARC. (which I may have stated a few times already, but it doesn't seem to have gotten through to you people at PWE)

Make it VOLUNTARY to download. ie, DON'T FORCE THOSE PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO USE IT, TO USE IT, that way everybody's happy and nobody will leave the game and everything will be status quo
  • Options
    anikaifulanikaiful Member Posts: 138
    edited November 2013
    Hmm, fancy... I personally have no qualms with ARC (per se). What it did for me tho was fixing a crashing issue that occured every now and then (a few times per game session) with Steam. Installing ARC didn't make me install anything else - it runs the steam-downloaded STO out of the box without redownloading anything.

What comes to security concerns tho? If it's such a bother for people who care, they can just deny ARC and its associated browser and whatnot all network access - no data in, no data out *shrug*
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Oh, hey- while y'all are "upgrading" your "website technology," how about a long-overdue ignore function already?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I am done. First, the probs with the Sept./Oct. crashes that left many of us locked out of STO. Then the same thing with the "season 8" rubbish. Now we have the "ARC" TRIBBLE. And when locked out of the crappy neverwinter series..... I have concluded that the whole PEW/CRAPTIC debacle has just completely ruined Star Trek and Dungeons and Dragons. The copywrite and trade mark holders should sue for the dammage that PEW/CRAPTIC has caused to the franchises. Personaly, I'm done. After this, I'm deleting the CRAPtic and ARC excrement off my drives.

My $0.02, for what it's worth.
  • Options
    mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    phreakbee wrote: »
    *BLARGH SEASON 8 RAGE BLARGH* PEW/CRAPTIC *ARC RAGE BLARGH*

"PEW"... How did I not think of this??? (I am indifferent about ARC, as it won't actually affect my game experience, but I'm still going to use this somewhere!)