test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Massively Interviews dezstravus About Arc

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited November 2013 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Massively sat down to talk with dezstravus about Arc and to answer more community questions about it. The interview can be read here.

Link to the interview.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Re-hash of the most recent Arc thread in Galactic News Network.

Additionally, there was not a single positive response to Arc in the Massively article when I read it. Other threads in other places, including threads for other PWE games, have nary a positive thing to say about it either.

Just imagine if some mathematical formula existed that would allow PWE to use all that information like polling data...

Unified infrastructure tool to better manage games: Yes
    Unified infrastructure tool to better manage games that collects/transmits data and runs when I don't wish it to do so: No.

"No" means "No."

I feel sorry for you people at Cryptic Studios. When Arc fails and the inevitable hammer falls I suspect you will be the first ones on the chopping block.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Destravus must need new pants after lying so much to that interviewer. Arc is badly programmed adware and spyware and the opt-out doesn't work.

Sorry to say this, branflakes, but you're wasting computer memory with these threads. The answer is still no.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    DO. NOT. WANT. :mad:
  • Options
    phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    The real test will be what happens after you install it and then restart.

Runs on startup = DO NOT WANT
    Doesn't run on startup = eh.....

It's amazing how pretentious and self important devs and marketing guys are. One of the things I hate about Steam is that it runs on start up.... sure you can disable that... but I don't budget my computing time to go around and ensure all these random programs aren't starting when my computer starts... YOUR PROGRAM IS NOT THAT IMPORTANT THAT IT NEEDS TO RUN AT STARTUP.
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Brandon and/or Noel,
    Arc also appears to continue running after players have logged out of game. What exactly will it be doing and why? Will any information be collected while the program runs? Will Arc close completely if a player has opted out of data-sharing, since it will logically have no other reason to run?

Yes, you can close the application if you're not actively using it. Also, Arc only collects performance data if you've opted in to that program, so if it's running and you haven't opted into the program, it won't be submitting any performance data to us.
    Let me ask these questions:
    What defines actively using the application?
    Can I actually shut down ARC once I have the game(s) of my choice updated/launched and not have said game(s) shut down and/or crash?

Because honestly, the quoted reply is the most serious non-answer I've seen concerning ARC. If you want discouraged players to take ARC seriously, give them serious answers. Give us actual reasons to believe that we can trust ARC.

It's simple: If ARC can completely shutdown after a game updates/launches and has zero impact after the game of choice is running, then you might see better acceptance of ARC.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    That interviewer asked all the right questions... and got all the wrong answers. Funny how that works. Needless to say, slick marketing folks are not my cup-of-tea. Time for some Ferengi wisdom:

Rule of Acquisition 48 "The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife."
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    tymersto wrote: »
    Brandon and/or Noel,

Let me ask these questions:
    What defines actively using the application?
    Can I actually shut down ARC once I have the game(s) of my choice updated/launched and not have said game(s) shut down and/or crash?

"Currently, the application does not need to run after a game is launched, though in the future if the game is updated to utilize functionality from Arc, it may be required to keep the Arc application open in order for the game to function 100% properly."

And so it begins.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I want a setting in the ARC options to "Exit ARC after launching your game". :mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Everyone just put on your tin foil hats and all will be well.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Terrilynn Shill strikes again!

In all seriousness though, we don't need arc. Everything it currently does can be done with existing tools. Wait, hasn't this been said already, or is it just me?
    I need a beer.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    ravin wrote: »
    Everyone just put on your tin foil hats and all will be well.

That's what they said about the NSA. And, lo and behold, it wss 20x worse even than any tinfoiler could have imagined.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013

In all seriousness though, we don't need arc. Everything it currently does can be done with existing tools. Wait, hasn't this been said already, or is it just me?

Existing tools that don't snoop around your hard drive even when you tell it not to, I might add.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    galadimangaladiman Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Don't know much about this.

Don't like the idea of forcing me to run another program to run STO that is in any way invasive, or hard to disable.

Don't like the sound of this.
    Please reconsider ARC. Please make it optional, at the least. PLEASE.
    It seems the vast majority of your most active players (forum regulars) hate the idea... and while that's a small subset of the playerbase, I think it's an important constituency.
    THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT THIS.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The article holds nothing new. Just the same marketing stuff as the Blog. Interesting Terilynn Shull DIDN'T bring up any of the reported issues that have been reported and effectively dismissed by the PWE programmers such as the fact that it appears ARC scans and sends info about your PC EVEN IF you opt out.; etc.

But hey, Massively not really a gaming journalist site anyway as if they were most of the companies they deal with wouldn't give them easy access to info, but I's surprised Terilynn Shull didn't just link the Blog as she pretty much re-parroted it on Massively.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Dino Trek has already curtailed much of my enthusiasm for STO play...
    I've logged on just twice since it went live and that was mostly to check on my DOff's.

I guess when this ARC thing goes live, that'll pretty much be the end of my STO playing.

I have no wish to have any more of my personal information, collected by yet another unknown entity.

I don't care how "wonderful" I'm told ARC will be, I don't want it on my computer.

<shrug>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited November 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    I don't care how "wonderful" I'm told ARC will be, I don't want it on my computer.

I don't mind ARC, at least I got nothing to hide on my computer!!! And I'm proud of it!!!
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I don't mind ARC, at least I got nothing to hide on my computer!!! And I'm proud of it!!!

People may not have anything to hide but I would rather my details remain with me and not be taken and possibly sold to third party organisations.

Also the memory that gets taken up is also stupid just for one game
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,525 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    That whole Q&A just seemed like the same old cue card read. In the other ARC thread, a person testing it reported it still trying to send information even when they opted out of doing so. Their firewall had caught and blocked the attempt. ARC coming to STO will mean that a lot of players I know will quit. If my friends aren't playing STO, there's a very good chance I won't be either.

The 10GB of storage ARC reserves was not addressed either. Most of the players here are only here for STO and don't wish to play other PWE titles. Reserving hard drive space and 10GB of it for other PWE games that people have no intention on playingg is ridiculous!
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I coulda done this interview.

So how do your customers feel about arc...

They ahem *insert Jedi Mind Trick* oh we have 1000% excitement from every single one of the players out there because they want to play every single game we have 24/7 and want to find out where on their computer the slot is to drop the quarters into.

I got a feeling between dinosaurs and arc that arc will be the downfall of most people leaving sto.
  • Options
    xathanael#5083 xathanael Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So, I'm in the process of installing STO onto my new computer.

What's pissing me off, is this: In order to download the game now, you HAVE to use ARC.

SO, I have to log onto ARC just to get the ORIGINAL Start-Up screen to RE-LOG in, just to get started?
    So, instead of logging in ONCE, we now have to log in twice? Sorry, but get rid of this P.O.S.

I'm just waiting for the bug's and crashes to start taking place every 30 min now...

Would also like to add, that after logging into ARC, when it brings up the Start-up Launcher for STO, it tries to auto-log in, here's the kicker, it can't, get a laugh at the pop-up saying that the password is incorrect. Wow, great, so log into ARC, get the Auto-launcher, Auto-launcher fails to log in on its own, close down launcher, re-load launcher, and manually type in password, great, wonderful, nothing like wasting time to get into a game.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Actually, I think I posted something to this effect in one of Dez's earlier ARC threads - Cryptic already uses a unified launcher that posts ads/news and links to all Cryptic games, has inter- and intra- game chat on an already-existing in game chat window, etc. The only thing Cryptic's existing tech doesn't do that ARC is being designed to is the data-mining...

The thrust of that post was that if PWE actually paid attention to what they've paid good money for, they have "most" of the answers to their ARC platform that they are looking for - and since the entire PWE slate needs adaptation to "fit" into ARC, well, why couldn't these programmers be paid to adapt PWE games to Cryptic tech rather than design a whole new tech then adapt everything to fit that...

Which is leaving me more and more of the opinion that either the stuffed heads at PWE are either way too ego-centric (we can design a better system than our sub-unit already did, even though that's hard to do and extremely expensive) or the data mining that they're building into ARC is "so essential" to PWE's existence that they need to design a tool around that...

Even though a smart company would have attempted to stash the data mining in the existing tech and not announced it... Therefore it seems we have a bit of both going on, hyper-important data mining and their ego-centricity demands them build a new tool instead of using what their US sub-unit already built...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    So, I'm in the process of installing STO onto my new computer.

What's pissing me off, is this: In order to download the game now, you HAVE to use ARC.
    Nope, standalone installer in my sig, or use Steam if you're already using it.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited November 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Yeah, and a big thanks to STEAM for convincing MMO game developers everywhere that they need to create and utilise similar systems. :mad:

It's called Follow the Leader. If something is successful, then people will try to mimic it in order to mimic its success.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Currently, the application does not need to run after a game is launched, though in the future if the game is updated to utilize functionality from Arc, it may be required to keep the Arc application open in order for the game to function 100% properly.

The more I read about ARC, the worse it sounds.
    NOTE TO ANY DEVS READING THIS...make having a standalone launcher for STO an option for us after ARC.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    whats with these companies trying to compete steam.
  • Options
    tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I haven't weighed in on ARC, I have read the opinions, separated the facts from the fiction, and through it all, it still comes down to one question. Is ARC something we want on our personal computers supplying any corporation with personal data and forcing us to use bandwidth to receive game advertisements we do not want while creating a potential security risk to our personal data all for a recreational game experience?

I have LTS for both Champions onLine and STO. I have much to lose by leaving this game if forced to run ARC. I stopped playing Champions because of poor treatment by that franchise. I will stop playing STO if forced to install ARC. Further, I will quit playing any MMO. I have plenty of real life things to do. And this is a shame. Cryptic will lose a thousand or so in revenue, I will lose a game I had fun with but will gain time to engage in more important venues, save some money, not risk my data to questionable content or access.

It is Cryptics choice. No ARC, we continue our business relationship. Force ARC upon me, I walk away and they learn a lesson.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Well, good for you...

There's nothing personal on my computer (except my passwords..., I hope), that hasn't already been DL'd to the internet at least once since '1994, when I first connected.
    (whether I am currently "proud" of that or not, is a story for another time)

I just take umbrage to the fact that as far as we know at this point, ARC is being forced upon us in such a manner that gives us no alternative.
    (even though we've been told, that that would not be the case)

And, it seems to be designed to infiltrate our computers too such an extent, that we really won't know just how much of our info is being collected, without our knowledge or express given permission.

What I do with my entertainment time on my computer, is really nobody's business to keep track of, unless I wish them too.

Arbitrarily forcing upon me a program that does so while I'm playing a game, is a sure fire way to get me to STOP playing that particular game.

<shrug>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    When's the new(er) version of ARC going live?
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    dezstravusdezstravus Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hey Cookiecrook,

Thanks for posting your feedback and questions here.
    That whole Q&A just seemed like the same old cue card read. In the other ARC thread, a person testing it reported it still trying to send information even when they opted out of doing so. Their firewall had caught and blocked the attempt.

We looked into this claim and were not able to confirm it. Upon investigation, the behaviors that were reported were:

a.) Arc was accessing the hard drive and
    b.) Arc was accessing the internet

Both of these behaviors should be expected, as Arc needs both the internet and your hard drive to install games. This process does not include collecting or submitting any of your personal data.

We take privacy very seriously and are happy to look into any reports from players if they feel that Arc is doing something that it should not.
    The 10GB of storage ARC reserves was not addressed either. Most of the players here are only here for STO and don't wish to play other PWE titles. Reserving hard drive space and 10GB of it for other PWE games that people have no intention on playingg is ridiculous!

I apologize for any confusion caused by previous documentation; Arc does not reserve any hard drive space. It does recommend 10GB of free space to allow for the installation of games, but it doesn't have any process for reserving this space.

If you discover an issue where Arc is taking more hard drive space than it needs for the application and the game that you have chosen to install, please let us know and we will be happy to look into it.