What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Refined Dilithium....

2»

Comments

• twelveparsecstwelveparsecs Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kaeaja wrote: »
    Yet another person hidding behind a monitor acting like he is awesome.

The awesomeness of my afro cannot be hidden behind any monitor known to man (or woman)

:cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great kid, don't get penisy!
  • grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    This basically comes down to you being impatient and stingy. You want everything now and you don't want to pay actual money for anything.

Sorry it's not being handed to you on a golden plate.
    Not at all, the OP has obviously done the work already for the dill requirements for the item in question and is yet being pointlessly denies access to a vast potion of that hard work via the invredably limited refinement cap, the work and patience of grinding that dill has been done, already, maybe for the fact that the OP may not be available for the next few days to refine it all each day causing it to take much much longer than someone who has access every day.
  • sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I understand you dilemma OP. It can be a pain, with all the items that can cost dilithium. The issue really at play is that in general, it is not difficult to earn dilithium. Uncapping the refining process would allow players that have accumulated vast sums of unrefined dilithium to exchange that dilithium for Zen.

Cryptic is a company that needs to make revenue, I know... I am opening myself up to Fanboy status here, and since dilithium can be converted to Zen (which normally costs $), it would be a significant revenue hit to the company.

Not exactly, the flaw in your statement is that people that spent real money for the zen in the first place (which is all PWE cares about in this situation) have to list it on the dilithium exchange. Even if the people with tons of dilithium refined it and bought out the available zen, more zen just won't magically appear. Lifetime subscriber stipends are a partial exception I'm ignoring in this case as it's already accounted for money wise on Cryptic's end.
  • smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The real reason you can only refine 8000 dilith per day?

Dilith is a tricky substance to work with safely, and your refiners can only process so much at a time safely.

Remember what happened to that Klingon moon that blew up?

Yeah... pace yourself... letting yourself get greedy could quite possibly end up destroying a civilization somewhere.

-- Smoov
  • kaeajakaeaja Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Uhh whats this about carrier craft that are 45k dilithium?
  • t0xsick2t0xsick2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    To the OP
    Booooo...
    Hoooooo
    edited November 2013
    t0xsick2 wrote: »
    To the OP
    Booooo...
    Hoooooo

Havent heard that before :P
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    with the fleet dilithium refiner, and the lts/sub bonus refiner, you can net what, about 9-10k dil a day?
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    grtiggy wrote: »
    Not at all, the OP has obviously done the work already for the dill requirements for the item in question and is yet being pointlessly denies access to a vast potion of that hard work via the invredably limited refinement cap, the work and patience of grinding that dill has been done, already, maybe for the fact that the OP may not be available for the next few days to refine it all each day causing it to take much much longer than someone who has access every day.

I agree with this statement. The OP isn't complaining about instant gratification or wanting anything now. It sounds like the OP did all the grind, which can take DAYS to do lets be honest, and is still gated behond yet another gate.

From what I've seen, the reason the dilithium is gated, is as said they want to control the dilithium market somewhat. But the real reason is, it keeps you coming back for more, at least for long enough to click a button to refine the dilithium. But while you're here, you may as well get your lobi. Oh, and replace that dilithium you just refined. Well might as well do a few missions for marks.

Happens all the time. They suck you into the game by stringing you along, and while you're there you just decide to do a little more. Games in seats and all that.

And I also agree to all the people insulting the OP, that you all need to just lay off. The OP is right, it's another grind on top of another grind. You grind for the unrefined dilithium, finally get to the point where you want it, and you still have to wait even longer to refine it.
    edited November 2013
    Or we could just remove the cap altogether and let the gold farming sites just have a hay day. sounds like a plan to me, anyone else?
    edited November 2013
    grtiggy wrote: »
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    I agree with this statement. The OP isn't complaining about instant gratification or wanting anything now. It sounds like the OP did all the grind, which can take DAYS to do lets be honest, and is still gated behond yet another gate.

From what I've seen, the reason the dilithium is gated, is as said they want to control the dilithium market somewhat. But the real reason is, it keeps you coming back for more, at least for long enough to click a button to refine the dilithium. But while you're here, you may as well get your lobi. Oh, and replace that dilithium you just refined. Well might as well do a few missions for marks.

Happens all the time. They suck you into the game by stringing you along, and while you're there you just decide to do a little more. Games in seats and all that.

And I also agree to all the people insulting the OP, that you all need to just lay off. The OP is right, it's another grind on top of another grind. You grind for the unrefined dilithium, finally get to the point where you want it, and you still have to wait even longer to refine it.

Thanks Grtiggy and Ladymyajna. I put up with alot of insulting responses in alot of the topics I make regardless of what Forum I am on, but its because of people like you two and others from this topic who have been nice, that make me keep returning to voice my opinions on something.
    edited November 2013
    I don't like waiting to refine all my DIL as much as the next person, but there are other factors involved with why there is a cap in place other than trying to string people along. One I can think of is the gold farming sites. Another being the people with a seemingly unlimited amount of time on their hands who would do nothing but grind DIL all day for zen... the list goes on. But like I have said, I don't like waiting as much as the next guy, but it sort of is a necessary evil to have a cap in place. Just my two cents..
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    how about account cap and not pertoon? the amount you Refined it would depends on the character slots you have unlocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The worse part about rep gear vs dilithium cap is when they put an odd number in forcing you to wait another day. An example of ground gear costing 9k dilithium instead of 8k, or space gear costing 35k instead of 32k now that is simply dumb. :rolleyes:
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited November 2013
    I understand you dilemma OP. It can be a pain, with all the items that can cost dilithium. The issue really at play is that in general, it is not difficult to earn dilithium. Uncapping the refining process would allow players that have accumulated vast sums of unrefined dilithium to exchange that dilithium for Zen.

Cryptic is a company that needs to make revenue, I know... I am opening myself up to Fanboy status here, and since dilithium can be converted to Zen (which normally costs $), it would be a significant revenue hit to the company.

As a fan of the game, I want it to stick around... so I understand (even though at times it is a bit of an inconvenience) that unrestricted dilithium refining would be, in the end, bad for the longevity of the game. While others see DOOOOOOMMMMM around every corner, I do not. I believe the game is here, at least for a few years.

One sure way to make the game go away, is to make it too easy to lose revenue.

Now, all that being said... if you have multiple characters on the same account, there are ways that you could move refined dilithium from one character to others on the same account.

When I am in your shoes, this is the route I try to take... I'll earn/refine dilithium on a few characters, then transfer it to the character that wants to buy something.

As grindy as this sounds, I have a daily regiment to earn dilithium on each character and make sure I refine it (sometimes I hit my max on each of my main characters/alts, more often I do not). That way, I have a bank of refined dilithium that I can pull together if something shiny catches my eye.

Its not a perfect solution, but it is a compromise that I can live with.
    ladymyajha wrote: »

pretty much these hit the nail on the head as to the cap, but why 8k vs 10k for example we will probably never know. Just take your time refining the dilith the shiny aren't going anywhere if your lucky maybe your fleet unlocks the dilith mine discount in the meantime.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    how about account cap and not pertoon? the amount you Refined it would depends on the character slots you have unlocked

Uhhh...I got mixed feelings about that...something tells me it would just make things more annoying.....
  • lordlalolordlalo Member Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kaeaja wrote: »
    Just....*sigh*....why does it have to take days to refine 30,250 Dilithium (which is what i need for hangar a hangar pet)...hmm? Oh wait, is it because the developers are trying to sucker us into using C-points to buy already Refined Dilithium? 2 days it will take...to get the Dilithium I need for a new Hangar craft....if this is really to get us to buy C-Points so we use them to get already refined Dilithium....then why when lots of people who are patient will just simply wait the two days? Why bother having the 8k refinement restriction? A number of people hate that restriction, they know it doesnt make sense, they know its not fair, so tell me, what is the purpose of this restriction?

Oh dear, another one.

1stly, the devs aren't suckering you into anything. ALL of the refined dil in the exchange was already refined by another player -- imagine that.

2ndly, you're not limited to 8K, you are limited to 8K per character.

Lets discuss something that will blow your mind. Lets say I have 6 characters. I take these 6 characters and do one event for 15mins, for 14 days. Out of that I get 50K dil each.

Now, I go each day to each character and refine 8K dil. Each character after a few days has now 32K

So now lets assume my main needs 100K.

I go to each character, convert that dil to zen. Then I go back to my main, and convert that zen to refined dil. And viola, I have subverted the 8K dil rule on that character by a very much intended mechanic.
    Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
  • gstamo01gstamo01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    Sorry it's not being handed to you on a golden plate.

I DEMAND A GOLDEN PLATE! Make it so flash525!

OP, there is a reason many STO players have multiple characters and it has nothing to do with wanting to play other classes..
    You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online! :D
    edited November 2013
    lordlalo wrote: »
    Oh dear, another one.

1stly, the devs aren't suckering you into anything. ALL of the refined dil in the exchange was already refined by another player -- imagine that.

2ndly, you're not limited to 8K, you are limited to 8K per character.

Lets discuss something that will blow your mind. Lets say I have 6 characters. I take these 6 characters and do one event for 15mins, for 14 days. Out of that I get 50K dil each.

Now, I go each day to each character and refine 8K dil. Each character after a few days has now 32K

So now lets assume my main needs 100K.

I go to each character, convert that dil to zen. Then I go back to my main, and convert that zen to refined dil. And viola, I have subverted the 8K dil rule on that character by a very much intended mechanic.
    gstamo01 wrote: »
    I DEMAND A GOLDEN PLATE! Make it so flash525!

OP, there is a reason many STO players have multiple characters and it has nothing to do with wanting to play other classes..

People should read through some of my responses before assuming I dont know about how you can use multiple characters for dilithium purposes. I already know about it. Some reminders helped with that as I briefly forgot that I could.
  • gulremalgulremal Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    lordlalo wrote: »

Erm, there's already simpler method that's been advised on this topic. With every alt, you make offer to buy zen that no one will accept (like 25 dil for 1 zen). The way Exchange works, it will take your dil and wait for someone to purchase it. Then you switch to your main and cancel all those offers - dil ends in account pool, and then you simply retrieve it.
    I tried to explain this once to someone in tells, but before I got to do that I was called a cheater and put on ignore. Just can't help some folks. :D