test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mac Client Open Beta Now Live!

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited January 2014 in Galactic News Network [PC]
We are extremely excited to announce that our Star Trek Online Mac Client Open Beta is now live! Read more for full details.

Click here to read more.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    krio09krio09 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think their site is down, I can't get on the link OR the home page :( lets hope the mac beta isn't the same! been waiting far too long for it
  • Options
    wardmattwardmatt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think the crashed there site with all the mac fans checking out the news at the same time. lol
    "We've Been Looking For The Enemy For Some Time Now. We've Finally Found Him. We're Surrounded. That Simplifies Things"
    - Lewis Burwell "chesty" Puller
    How Romulans Should Choose What Faction They Are In
  • Options
    phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    That's one step closer to a linux client!
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    That's one step closer to a linux client!

Hahahaha.

No.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The web team is investigating why the page/ site/ forums are intermittently having connection issues. Thanks for your patience, and apologies for the inconvenience.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The blog should now be loading :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Really happy that it's almost here. I'll be ready and waiting with my Macbook Pro tomorrow :D although I think it might perform pretty poorly. Even though I've got an i7 in here and 4GB of RAM my onboard GPU is only an Nvidia 330M 512mb.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • Options
    freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This is a great idea. Set your phasers to kill Mac users. That's all you'll ever need.
    m12Pkoj.png
  • Options
    aveimperatoraveimperator Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This is today's announcement? The day before S8 launches...and Mac client beta is the day's announcement? Great for Mac users, sure, happy for them. But for the rest of us? To say I am disappointed doesn't even begin to scratch it. C'mon, where's the Voth Lockbox info?
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I agree with the poster above i want the Voth lockbox info now! I've been watching the site like a hawk for the last 3 days and I'm still waiting! Good job putting the game on Mac tho... I don't own one but I know they outperform PC in graphics and screen resolution most of the time... Playing STO on a retina display. WOOHOO!!! Almost makes we wanna buy a mac! But I'd rather have a house and a car. ;p
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2013
    Wow, for as much hate as Lockboxes have garnered over the past year or so, you guys sure are eager for the next one! :P

Also, Yay Mac! I never thought I'd see the day that a Cryptic game was natively supported on Mac. I don't own one, but I still think it's super cool that we finally got it working!
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    drkaczsdrkaczs Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Is the mac client built from the ground up or is it based on wine. Asking for a friend.
  • Options
    tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Wow, for as much hate as Lockboxes have garnered over the past year or so, you guys sure are eager for the next one! :P

Also, Yay Mac! I never thought I'd see the day that a Cryptic game was natively supported on Mac. I don't own one, but I still think it's super cool that we finally got it working!

So it's native as opposed to Wine? I might be reading more into what you said there than there is but still...exciting.
    This is today's announcement? The day before S8 launches...and Mac client beta is the day's announcement? Great for Mac users, sure, happy for them. But for the rest of us? To say I am disappointed doesn't even begin to scratch it. C'mon, where's the Voth Lockbox info?

You can't please everyone - as a Mac user this is a big deal, and it will bring in a large number of Mac gamers I assure you.
  • Options
    captaincreoscaptaincreos Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

There are always those that will be eager for lock boxes. just like there are always those eager to fly halfway across the country to sit in a smoky room in the middle of the desert hitting a button on a machine. addictions are bad.

I'm Very happy to see the client make it to the mac! thats great news. Not for me personally as i don't own a mac but its great to see the game expand out to other customer bases. Now just to get it on linux.... ;)
  • Options
    phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hahahaha.

No.

Yeah, I know.
    It doesn't hurt to mention it once in a while though. :D
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • Options
    mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Logic dictates that no one can speak for everyone.... and I'm sure the 10 mac users will be pleased.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Good news, I will wait until its out of beta. Then give it a try. About time yall decided to give us Mac users a way to easier access the game.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Heh, I was actually laughing about that myself earlier.

I remember the early days and all the anti-lockbox images people were making. I still have some of them, but I keep them as more of a joke now since I rather like some of the stuff that comes in the boxes.

Oh and cool deal on the Mac thang. I had a Power Mac once. It had a MASSIVE 30gb HDD. I would tell people that I had 30gb and they were like "dude wat!!"

Yeah...that was a long time ago lmao.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    wayofderawayofdera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Wow, this is really exciting news!:D

I was actually thinking of getting a PC, so I could play STO without having to run through the "Crossover" app I currently do. Hopefully it works well, as I would rather stay with using Mac, as everything other then gaming, I prefer it for?and since STO is really the only game I play?it makes this a Perfect world?pun intended!;)
  • Options
    superherofansuperherofan Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Can't wait to play on my Mac tomorrow. Knock on wood that it all goes well!
  • Options
    fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    mewi wrote: »
    Logic dictates that no one can speak for everyone.... and I'm sure the 10 mac users will be pleased.

LOL Indeed. Uh . . . people do realize macs are Graphic Design rigs and not for gaming right? But I guess people do dream :)
  • Options
    landshark535landshark535 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Valve has said that every game on Steam will run natively in SteamOS, a Linux distro. STO is available on Steam, so Linux support might be coming sooner than we might think (although the work will be done by Valve and will most likely consist of their version of Wine).

With all of the great work Valve has been doing I might just be able to give up Windows, without having to buy a Mac.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So now the Mac Zombies are going to be allowed in. Better dumb down the game for them.
  • Options
    emmetnervendemmetnervend Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So now the Mac Zombies are going to be allowed in. Better dumb down the game for them.

Lol, you guys must not be aware that there has been an unofficial Mac client for a long time. http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=381881 I've been playing this game on my Mac for over a year. I hate to tell you, but we zombies have been here for a while now! :)
  • Options
    moym471moym471 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Dumb Mac Zombie here... Does anyone know why it needs four GB of RAM while the Windows version only requires one? If my macbook only has two GB (I know shut up) am I better off sticking with a wineskin wrapper?
  • Options
    gt500dotorggt500dotorg Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So, where's my Linux client?