test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Player voice-overs please

darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
The new mission provided for us today, the Spheres of Influence, was really fantastic. I thought it provided awesome background for the content to come. I loved the voice-overs, especially Michael Dorn. Unfortunately there's one place where the mission falls down, and that's when it's your character's turn to participate in the conversation and all you have is silence.

Please, make some voice-overs for our characters in the future. Best case scenario would be a number of female and male voices to select for our character in the options that would apply to all future episodes made for the game. Worst case scenario would be a single male and female voice. This would make the stories so much better and give us more of a connection to our characters.

Anyone else agree or disagree?
Post edited by darramouss1 on

Comments

• Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The new mission provided for us today, the Spheres of Influence, was really fantastic. I thought it provided awesome background for the content to come. I loved the voice-overs, especially Michael Dorn. Unfortunately there's one place where the mission falls down, and that's when it's your character's turn to participate in the conversation and all you have is silence.

Please, make some voice-overs for our characters in the future. Best case scenario would be a number of female and male voices to select for our character in the options that would apply to all future episodes made for the game. Worst case scenario would be a single male and female voice. This would make the stories so much better and give us more of a connection to our characters.

That is kinda annoying. Hell if they did just 6 generic voices, 1 male/1 female per faction, least it would be something. That silence irks me.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Or you can just do what I do: read everything in Morgan Freeman.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited October 2013

Agreed. I think it is a good idea. Having a selection, from which to choose, could be treated like a another tailor option
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I don't see why not. But you'll get some people raging that it's too much like SWTOR :rolleyes:.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    A player voice would indeed be a huge improvement, at least if the voice acting wouldbe halfway decent. That would also open up the possibility of player monologue during missions, eliminating the ridiculous habit that our character is entirely incompetent and needs a NPC to tell him or her not to jump into plasma fires and the like.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    I don't see why not. But you'll get some people raging that it's too much like SWTOR :rolleyes:.

who cares, the speaking then dead silence when your toon 'speaks' is maddening and feels too choppy.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    borg9870borg9870 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I was just about to suggest this :) We would have to have different voices for FED, KDF and ROM. A klingon with a voice that sounds too human would just be odd.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    We are but puppets of our chosen factions, the fact we are voiceless, soul-less masses blindly following the instructions of our leaders re-enforce this idea.

Just like in real life...doing what governments, careers and respective social groups expect of us...on and on until our inevitable end...

Oh...sorry, bit of a weird mood. What was the question again?

Voices eh? Yeah sure, why not?
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Story time everyone!

First things first, let me introduce you to Juju. Who is Juju, and why is she important? Simply put, Juju is a perfect example of why fan created things rarely make it into the actual series.

Way back when Skullgirls was first being developed, a fan of the game posted a character idea on the Skullgirls facebook page. Not a drawing or anything, just an idea. The Developers thought it was crazy enough that they actually created the character and slipped her into the game. Good feelings all around right?

Wrong.

The guy that posted the original idea noticed this, and demanded compensation. Thus began a months long legal battle between Lab Zero and the fan which lasted even into the Skullgirls' character-funding donation drive. Those of you that participated in it might remember that Juju was originally on the character roster. She was however, removed halfway through.

The final nail in the coffin came when the same fan posted information about their dealings with Lab Zero, violating the signed non-disclosure agreement. In consequence, the Devs removed Juju from the game, ret-conning her existence entirely.

I can say, without a doubt, you will never hear fan voices in this game. :(
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Story time everyone!

I can say, without a doubt, you will never hear fan voices in this game. :(

Nice story...except i dont think people want a player to do voice over...they want the player character to have a voice over. Player character, as in the thing you control in game aka your avatar. Instead of running around mute, they want their character to sound like **insert famous actor/actress name here**.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    stonewbie wrote: »
    Nice story...except i dont think people want a player to do voice over...they want the player character to have a voice over. Player character, as in the thing you control in game aka your avatar. Instead of running around mute, they want their character to sound like **insert famous actor/actress name here**.

And then we'll have people saying they spend to much on famous voice actors. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    No, my character ... my voice and I dont want to this to enter the exact same tarp as TOR were because VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING they are pretty screwed when it comes to adding new content.

Besides TOR are very canned responses that dont really do much, that path lead to a Iceberg or should I say? a comet.

This is what i'm afraid of too...i've seen how SWTOR VO impacts future content.

So long as STO can do it without slowing down release of content i would be fine with it. If we want a new class (regardless of if that can be done or not) i dont want player VO to be a reason that new class cannot be done. If i want a new faction or race, i dont want player VO to be the reason we cannot get it.

I mean if i told you guys some of the reasons SWTOR isn't getting new classes or new races it would boggle your mind. They added a furry cat (Cathar) race...but did you guys know that they may never get playable Wookies or Greedo characters? some of the reasons? too tall to fit into the cutscene window, clipping/animation issues, they arent kissable (remember SWTOR has romances), and some players find Jabba-speak (Huttese) and Wookie-speak (Shryiiwook) to be too annoying and that they couldnt relate to it.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    stonewbie wrote: »
    I mean if i told you guys some of the reasons SWTOR isn't getting new classes or new races it would boggle your mind. They added a furry cat (Cathar) race...but did you guys know that they may never get playable Wookies or Greedo characters? some of the reasons? too tall to fit into the cutscene window, clipping/animation issues, they arent kissable (remember SWTOR has romances), and some players find Jabba-speak (Huttese) and Wookie-speak (Shryiiwook) to be too annoying and that they couldnt relate to it.

You serious bro??? :eek:
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2013
    NO! I don't want an American accent. I'd rather my character be silent.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'd want my character to have my voice, that'd be way, way better than a short list of generic voices. This is an idea that would set STO apart from the other MMO, if we can voice our own characters; I think the devs should look at this.

We should be able to somehow trade voice sets too for the male/female, female/male characters.
    -Makbure
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    makbure wrote: »
    I'd want my character to have my voice, that'd be way, way better than a short list of generic voices. This is an idea that would set STO apart from the other MMO, if we can voice our own characters; I think the devs should look at this.

We should be able to somehow trade voice sets too for the male/female, female/male characters.
    It'd be kinda great if we could do voice-overs for our own character... but I think a bit hard to implement.

I personally, since we can't voice-over them, prefer them to be silent, that way I read it in voice I want in my mind, so less disturbing than if the voice wasn't what I'd want or imagine there. :)
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I pitched this idea a long time ago. The idea was to speak common phrases from a scripted segment and your captain will say them.

Examples: engage, make it so, and so forth...the writer a will implement the sayings into the story for more immersion...

Issues were that it may be abused, complex, players playing opposite sex avatars would be awkward and a few others...was way back when cutting the cord (i believe it was this one) had Obelisk(spelling?) speak for the first time
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited October 2013
    artan42 wrote: »
    NO! I don't want an American accent. I'd rather my character be silent.

Great. Don't buy it from the C-store when it becomes available as a Tailor unlock.

Then again, maybe the C-Store will have a varied selection of languages, accents, genders... from which to select.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I don't need someone speaking for my BO or my characters, i can't even stand when the foundry authors type out what my BO are saying let alone Cryptic voicing my characters.

It works for Zelda, Half Life, and Elder Scrolls , it also works here.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I don't need someone speaking for my BO or my characters, i can't even stand when the foundry authors type out what my BO are saying let alone Cryptic voicing my characters.

It works for Zelda, Half Life, and Elder Scrolls , it also works here.

Funny that you should mention Half Life...there was an article on cracked.com that actually highlighted Gordon Freemans inability to talk.

The site might be slightly NSFW mostly for language, but check it out it's #5 on the list.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-video-games-that-just-didnt-get-it-and-6-that-did/
  • Options
    reinawattreinawatt Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    When it came to my character, I pictured the same voice I've always had for her in her stories - a Scottish accent, North-East Scotland dialect, fluid and quick but also with a hint of weariness from her life.

A selection of voices wouldn't work since they would just go for American voices, they wouldn't go for a vastly wider selection of voices from many different areas of the world due to expense and being unable to find the right voice talent.
    Best thing to do is just use your imagination and create the voice in your mind for your character.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Player Voice Acting is never going to happen in STO. California laws explicitly prevents that from happening.

If you want to hear your voice, either speak the lines at your monitor when the dialogue appears, or record the game, add your voice, then watch the video. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Player Voice Acting is never going to happen in STO. California laws explicitly prevents that from happening.

i got to thank California for that law then!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Can you provide some kind of link to this. I keep digging up talk on CA law that prohibits eavesdropping or recording something where you are not a party, but can't find this...
    -Makbure
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    makbure wrote: »
    Can you provide some kind of link to this. I keep digging up talk on CA law that prohibits eavesdropping or recording something where you are not a party, but can't find this...

I don't have a link handy but there was a discussion on deviantART a couple years back about increasing the moderator staff by recruiting volunteers from the userbase. deviantART's admins said that under California law such moderators would qualify as customer service people and therefore would be required to be paid employees.

Just another case of Real Life lagging behind the Internet.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    I don't have a link handy but there was a discussion on deviantART a couple years back about increasing the moderator staff by recruiting volunteers from the userbase. deviantART's admins said that under California law such moderators would qualify as customer service people and therefore would be required to be paid employees.

Just another case of Real Life lagging behind the Internet.

Something like this sounds like it can be corrected with a release form for the employment stuff and the content stuff.
    -Makbure
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    As for the original topic, I agree that it's jarring to have missions haphazardly, partially voiced. Either do it all the way or don't do it. I don't mind handling it the way KOTOR and DA:O did it though.

On another note, in my head Kanril Eleya is voiced by Jennifer Hale. :D
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/