test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Gravimetric Torp?

icepirakaicepiraka Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Anyone have the new tooltip stats on the damage and functionality of the gravimetric torpedo? Has anyone tested it with TS or HY?
Post edited by icepiraka on

Comments

• dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ...link?

If this pops a gravity well on collision...just OMG
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    icepiraka wrote: »
    Anyone have the new tooltip stats on the damage and functionality of the gravimetric torpedo? Has anyone tested it with TS or HY?

haven't tested it, I don't have the dil on Tribble to buy it. And the scroll over is broke apparently. Right now it's telling me it does 64.2 kinetic damage for a purple mk XII torpedo launcher. Yesterday it told me it had a 180 degree arc, now it's saying it only has a 90 degree arc. It also told me yesterday how much kinetic damage the rift did, and those numbers are blank currently So I have no idea anymore.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    All I can say is that this torpedo goes through, they better buff Tricobalts back to where they were originally since they too have rifts, though very very weak.
    edited October 2013
    dahminus wrote: »
    ...link?

Like I said the numbers changed on me between logging off yesterday and this morning for me, but what did hold steady is 33% chance on a hit to cause a Gravimetric Rift (not well, Rift) that causes Kinetic Damage to an area for 15 seconds. Damage and arc keeps changing on me, so I have no idea anymore.
  • icepirakaicepiraka Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    Like I said the numbers changed on me between logging off yesterday and this morning for me, but what did hold steady is 33% chance on a hit to cause a Gravimetric Rift (not well, Rift) that causes Kinetic Damage to an area for 15 seconds. Damage and arc keeps changing on me, so I have no idea anymore.

Maybe it's a tooltip thing, where you have to be in, say, your starship in Earth Orbit or some other star system before you can get an accurate reading?
    edited October 2013
    Maybe it's a tooltip thing, where you have to be in, say, your starship in Earth Orbit or some other star system before you can get an accurate reading?

It's possible. If no one posts better before I can get home from work, I'll check again and see if the numbers are back to what they were yesterday.
    edited October 2013
    Okay the stats as of today:

90 degree targeting arc
    3081.3 kinetic damage (362.5 dps)
    destroys Voth Aceton Drones
    33% chance : Upon detonation, creates a 1 km radius Gravimetric Rift for 3 seconds that deals Kinetic Damage to any who enters
    +6% critical chance

Doesn't say how much damage the rift does, it it counts as exotic damage that your particle generators can effect, or if it has a tractor effect. Also don't know if the "any who enters" means it has a chance for friendly fire like the plasma torps do, and no idea how High Yield or torp spread effects it. If every torp that you fire has a chance for the 33% to trigger a torp spread could be rather devestating.
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ah...it creates a gravity well without the gravity....im am disappointed...

Ah well
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,863 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Sounds interesting in theory...but wont know till the final product is in use.
    edited October 2013
    Of course that's just standard fire, and as torpedo procs go, it doesn't seem too bad.

So I'd figure the anomaly damage is affected by particle gens (and aux power?) and the duration is modified by Subspace Decompiler, but I'm just guessing here.

And we have no idea how the torp interacts with TS or HY. I'd be really curious if someone buys it and actually manages to playtest it.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,863 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Of course that's just standard fire, and as torpedo procs go, it doesn't seem too bad.

So I'd figure the anomaly damage is affected by particle gens (and aux power?) and the duration is modified by Subspace Decompiler, but I'm just guessing here.

And we have no idea how the torp interacts with TS or HY. I'd be really curious if someone buys it and actually manages to playtest it.

It's a toss up if it will be affected by HY or or Spread...
    edited October 2013

I'd love to test it, but I brought over a vanilla character to test out the balance, and she has very little dilithium, so I can't afford to buy it. Unless I run up another character to tier 2 (which I have no desire to do) or they suddenly give me a 200k in dilithium to buy the gear, then I can't buy and test it.
    edited October 2013
    I'd love to test it, but I brought over a vanilla character to test out the balance, and she has very little dilithium, so I can't afford to buy it. Unless I run up another character to tier 2 (which I have no desire to do) or they suddenly give me a 200k in dilithium to buy the gear, then I can't buy and test it.

The torp actually costs 200K dil for the requisition project? Isn't that about 10x as much as any other reputation torpedo?
    lianthelia wrote: »
    It's a toss up if it will be affected by HY or or Spread...

Why not? All the other rep torps are affected by them, and this one looks like just a photon torpedo, but with a special proc.
    edited October 2013
    The torp actually costs 200K dil for the requisition project? Isn't that about 10x as much as any other reputation torpedo?

No the 200k is to get both sets and see how they synergize. Testing out the Torpedo by itself is only half the story if the synergy set makes it work differently or more powerful.
  • eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Okay the stats as of today:

90 degree targeting arc
    3081.3 kinetic damage (362.5 dps)
    destroys Voth Aceton Drones
    33% chance : Upon detonation, creates a 1 km radius Gravimetric Rift for 3 seconds that deals Kinetic Damage to any who enters
    +6% critical chance

Judged by the damage/DPS it should have an internal cooldown similiar to the quantum torpedo. Doesn't seem so great at first glance, however if that gravimetric rifts destroys cloaks like the gravimetric well this torpedo could be the most annoying addition to PvP ever. At least for people like me who only play KDF/KDF-Rom.
    edited October 2013
    No the 200k is to get both sets and see how they synergize. Testing out the Torpedo by itself is only half the story if the synergy set makes it work differently or more powerful.

Someone posted this on the STO reddit: http://imgur.com/7uIwPsq

So the set bonuses only affect the damage and crits on photon damage, nothing else. Not a huge change in function IMO.

But again, the true power of this torp may shine when it's modified with TS (like Romulan plasma) or HY (like Omega plasma), so I'm interested in seeing that specifically.
  • twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    dahminus wrote: »
    ...link?

[Obligatory doom prophecies on making sci abilities redundant by putting them in consoles/items]

Also, a weapon that can get affected by both FaW and CRF? Ehm? Multipurpose much, sure, but at cross purposes to the Spire consoles, which stimulate full focus on either beams or cannons...
  • michaelp1989michaelp1989 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So if this is modified by ts it could create several grav wells/rifts? I wonder if gw aftershock doff will affect it. If yes then it will be pure lol and op.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    twam wrote: »
    [Obligatory doom prophecies on making sci abilities redundant by putting them in consoles/items]

Also, a weapon that can get affected by both FaW and CRF? Ehm? Multipurpose much, sure, but at cross purposes to the Spire consoles, which stimulate full focus on either beams or cannons...

You're assuming that it's a cannon, and not another KCB type beam that's locked out of beam boff powers.
    edited October 2013
    You're assuming that it's a cannon, and not another KCB type beam that's locked out of beam boff powers.

That would be my guess, or a turret actually that is locked out of BOff powers all together unless you get the synergy bonus.

Also, doesn't the Torpedo Point Defense System fire photon torpedoes? If that thing is buffed by this synergy, that's going to make the Armitage even more powerful then it already is.

Also, I wonder if the torpedo is effected by the Nadeon Detonator? Fire a Nadeon Detonator one of these torpedoes at a target, let the blast take out some of the shields, the blast should be buffed by the synergy, then if you get lucky and get the Rift as well, that could be one hell of a lot of AoE spike dps coming down, if the torpedo is also buffed by a couple of photon detonation assemblies.
    edited October 2013

I'm not assuming much of anything, I just saw the screenie of the console, with the 3-piece allowing the Experimental Proton Weapon to be used with both FaW and CRF.

That, well, pretty much tells me that, when equipping the set, that specific weapon will work with select boff powers of both flavors.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    twam wrote: »
    I'm not assuming much of anything, I just saw the screenie of the console, with the 3-piece allowing the Experimental Proton Weapon to be used with both FaW and CRF.

That, well, pretty much tells me that, when equipping the set, that specific weapon will work with select boff powers of both flavors.

Misread you there, my fault.

Need more caffeine...
    edited October 2013
    Misread you there, my fault.

Need more caffeine...

No problem man, totally understand that one :)
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited October 2013

So the set bonuses only affect the damage and crits on photon damage, nothing else. Not a huge change in function IMO.

But again, the true power of this torp may shine when it's modified with TS (like Romulan plasma) or HY (like Omega plasma), so I'm interested in seeing that specifically.

That kind of sounds like the stutter-fire phasers from Wrath of Kahn.... If it is a neutered turret like the cutting beam it could be interesting for my T'varo build with dual heavy cannons in the front and beams in the back. FaW would cover the whole sphere around the ship and rapid fire would have another gun shooting forward.... And it would be an awesome shuttle set. But until we get the stats for it and know how it looks that's just idle speculation.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
    edited October 2013
    Interestingly Cryptic finally managed to make a set that is IMO only worth using with all three items. A player would miss a lot with only one or two of them. All that photon torpedo damage/critH/critS would be wasted with only console and beam for example.
    edited October 2013
    eisenw0lf wrote: »
    Interestingly Cryptic finally managed to make a set that is IMO only worth using with all three items. A player would miss a lot with only one or two of them. All that photon torpedo damage/critH/critS would be wasted with only console and beam for example.

I dunno, that torpedo alone may be a fantastic thing for torp boats. I fully intend to see if I can squeeze it onto my Torp'Varo.
  • omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Actually looking at it, the parts of the set bonuses that apply only to photon projctiles is labelled that way.

So with the two piece set your photon projectiles get over 22 percent damage boost, but all your weapons including photon projectiles get a 3 percent extra crit chance. With the 3 piece bonus its a universal 10% crit severity bonus and a 10 percent crit chance to photonic projectiles. So assuming stacking you Photonic projectiles would have 13% cit chance extra, +22.9% more damage, 10% crit severity, while everything else gets 3% to crit chance and 10% crit severity.

This is the first set I might get, I already use a photonic torpedeo and I have no problem replacing my plasma mines with photonic mines.

What I could do is replace my current photon torpedeo with the Gravimetric Photon torpedeo, replace my romulan emitter array console with the Proton Stabalizer console and add the Proton Experimental weapon somewhere, not sure where, on my ship.

The GPT would gain the 22.9% dam, the 13% bonus crit chance, the 10% bonus crit severity (same with a photon mine launcher). the resulting rifts would benifit from my 3 romulan particle generators, my distruptors would benifit from the 3% crit chance bonus, 10 percent crit severity, and lastly my proton experiemtnal weapon would benifit from over 13 percent damage boost, 3 percent crit chance bonus, 10% crt severity and 2.5% plasma procs x3.

The question is what is the Proton Experimental Weapon and why does it with the three set get to use both the cannon rapid fire and beam overload powers? Is it a turret of some sort?
  • unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2013

The question is what is the Proton Experimental Weapon and why does it with the three set get to use both the cannon rapid fire and beam overload powers? Is it a turret of some sort?

It is actually a 360-degree turret that shoots beam arrays. Each volley shoots beam arrays that are affected by beam overload powers.
    edited October 2013
    It is actually a 360-degree turret that shoots beam arrays. Each volley shoots beam arrays that are affected by beam overload powers.

Depending on its base damage this could be either okay or pretty awful. I don't really want to waste a good BO3 with a turret ...
  • gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Great post, thanks. This could boost the playability of the Photon Torpedo.

This would make for an interesting Photon Torpedo Boat, fore positions. Couple this set with a (warning: many spoilers) Vulnerability Locator or Exploiter console and the results would be interesting.

Side note: The Experimental Weapon is a turret that shoots beams arrays. I wonder if it delivers the Target SS ability also. A 360 degree beam that could deliver Target SS would be very powerful, too powerful for development I thought. If developed, I always thought such a weapon would have much lower dps than turrets because of the added Target SS ability. But this weapon utilizes Rapid Cannon Fire, and it will be interesting to see what Cryptic has done to it.
    Joined STO in September 2010.