test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So devs, when is pvp equipment coming?

dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2013 in PvP Gameplay
The best way to "improve" pvp is to introduce anti crith/d, +defense gear.

I'm a pver through and through. I always bring overkill where ever I go, whenever I go into pvp...the best way to stop me is "avoidance."

The argument, as far as I'm aware, from the pvp side is that it removes "lucky" crits, keeps dog fights going longer, keeps pver wannabes from plowing they're way through (actually happened a few weeks ago in sto), gives new players a fighting chance once this gear is attained, provides excellent tanking gear for pve, and the list goes on.

I guess my question to the pvp community is thoughts? And would you support the idea?
Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
Post edited by dahminus on

Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    As is, you can't chase +Def with +Acc. Thus, that angle's already covered and because of that - you can't crit if you don't hit - the +CrtD/CrtH angle's covered as well.

S8's adding additional +Acc, +Def, +CrtH, +CrtD, +Res, +Etc (honestly, looks like there's more than two dozen new mods on the various mix of Tac, Eng, and Sci consoles, eh?)...

Discussions about the "now" are kind of moot...need the folks that can ( "Gold" ) to test stuff over on Tribble, give that feedback. Post info they have, so folks that can't test might bring up things that those that can test could test if they hadn't thought of it...

Looking at the S8 stuff...heh, looks like it's combining the powercreep from S7 and LoR into a new season. Cryptic tends to follow that geometric progression rather than arithmetic progression, no?

"Luckily" though, we're reaching that point of saturation where folks are going to have to make choices...though, for 150k FC - you can avoid making one of those choices. ;)
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Last thing the game needs is pvp gear... unless they are forcing people to only use pvp gear and gimping it ... and making it free.

They already added -crit items... there in with the pve stuffs... you know Rep Passives that heal you when you get critical hit... and embassy consoles that do the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Last thing the game needs is pvp gear... unless they are forcing people to only use pvp gear and gimping it ... and making it free.

They already added -crit items... there in with the pve stuffs... you know Rep Passives that heal you when you get critical hit... and embassy consoles that do the same.

They could give pvp specific upgrades for the shets you already own.For example an upgrade for your deflector that makes you immune to placate or cheese lol :D

Im tired of selling to vendors stuffs I grinded for .Last time I had to delete all my purple neutroniums because they put in fleet better and cheaper neutroniums...no way to upgrade my stuffs to the newer version like in all normal games that have some kind of respect for your time spent grinding .Less grinding would be appreciated.
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    They could give pvp specific upgrades for the shets you already own.For example an upgrade for your deflector that makes you immune to placate or cheese lol :D

Im tired of selling to vendors stuffs I grinded for .Last time I had to delete all my purple neutroniums because they put in fleet better and cheaper neutroniums...no way to upgrade my stuffs to the newer version like in all normal games that have some kind of respect for your time spent grinding .Less grinding would be appreciated.

Agreed there... I would like to see them just do with PvP like Anet did with GW2 PvP.

Make it its own thing... with zero grind, zero creep. Still tons of build options of course just no power creep introed by anything from the pve world.

Never happen of course Cryptic is far to greedy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    To be honest I feel a break coming from STO, maybe a few months will refresh me, I run the risk of getting to far behind in the grind though, which kept me in after LoR. Some of the stuff in S8 looks neat, but I have been doing the rep grind too much for my toons, cut down to two, and am tired of it.

The gear stuff is getting silly, they have too few options in existing gear to avoid power creep. Really an engineer console should have 4-5 features to it, just 1 feature makes it too hard to make new variants taht aren't outrageously better or unsellable. Also consoles should come with a plus and negative. +acc -crtd sort of thing, so there is a trade off, that could mean you make some that have less +acc and -crtd, but others that grant more acc with a greater reduction in crtd. Just using those two items as an example.

When you think of it the engineering console usefulness and the tactical console vary so widely because you can select your own weapons type and beef it up knowing. Most you can do on the engineer consoles was have a slew of them, but then hope all 5 on the other team were the same. That has changed with the uber engineer consoles now though. But they will easily be surpassed every season now as they want us to keep putting time into these stupid starbase things.

I think their initial design is too limiting and going forward they can make it prettier and give more pve diversity, but really pvp puts a major hiccup in anything they do because of the limitations inherent in the system. (why can't we tractor people on our team and turn on and off red alert?) They are trying to mix a fps with a rpg and doing it poorly. Ground should be more like battlefield and others, it is a more proven ground system. Space should feel more free, not about going in and coming out of red alert all the time. Imagine how pve could be more fun if the simple act of going to red alert at the wrong time could change the mission. You could have tense conversations with aliens, go defensive and provoke them or maybe wait too long and get ambushed. Also sustained red alert when not in combat would impact acc and other traits as prolonged unnecessary readiness would to a real military unit.

Doff system was meant to help with gear development of sorts, but that stupid timer runs when ever you are doing anything. It needs to be pausable, not run when I am making commodity runs on the off chance I get a crit success from one of the doff missions.

I might just be overly down about things right now because I just can't stomach another rep, but I can't see this game being appealing to new players either. Down the road under a mountain of rep, poor diversity in viable build and tactics, and just an overall very linear game play mechanics as far as online games are concerned just seems uncompetitive. I know I will never get into another mmo, I like modded box games too much that give freedom to do what you want. But this is Star Trek, i got into it largely because of nostalgia, I really envisioned a mmo Starfleet command, talk about a game that got it right except being 2D. Unfortunately STO's existence will likely prevent any significant box star trek game with multi-player features.
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
  • Options
    maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    "soon"

which to be honest i hope is never....

last thing we need is pvp gear that will throw it even more out of control then it already is.

besides, thats what the rep system is for.
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • Options
    hroothvitnirhroothvitnir Member Posts: 322
    edited October 2013
    Only if it was a when you go into pvp you auto swap to this gearset, and its all available free from a vendor. Heck I would even have a swap over for doffs that worked the same.
  • Options
    milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There should be a pvp and a pve loadout for all things boffs, doffs, and gear. pve and pvp are functionally too different, but the database footprint is too big to consider this.
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There should be a pvp and a pve loadout for all things boffs, doffs, and gear. pve and pvp are functionally too different, but the database footprint is too big to consider this.

I've wondered about them doing two forms:

"Monsterplay" - prefabs.

"Unlimited" - as is.

Unlimited requires no further explanation. Monsterplay on the other hand, well - it would be a case of having no access to anything you've got - you'd be able to pick from a selection of prefabs when you joined the queue. You'd have no say in what it had (outside of providing feedback during their creation and before they're implemented in the game)...you'd just fly it to the best of your ability.

That would have a negligible effect on the information Cryptic would need to store, since there would only be a select group of options available. Course, well...anybody done Temporal Ambassador and flown that prefab?