test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Suggestion: Adding Expose/Exploit to Space combat

druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
Obviously not a carbon copy of how it works on the Ground, but it would be rather cool to have ships able to flank each other, and in doing so, end up dealing more damage.

Thoughts?
Post edited by druhin on

Comments

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    We already have a flanking mechanic in space. It's called battering down a shield facing and stuffing a torp up his nose.

Ground combatants can't fire off-axis. Ships can.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Expose a shield facing to exploit the hull...

:P
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    picardtheiiipicardtheiii Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think this sounds like a good way to give science some love.

Such as either the expose or exploit (but not both) being science exlusive (ship or captain not sure). While everyone has access to the other
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, that's basically what Target Subsystem: Shields does.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, that's basically what Target Subsystem: Shields does.

The flaw with Science ships "Target Subsystem: TRIBBLE" ability, is that they are all at Rank 1. Need to be better at knocking out subsystems, than the Bridge Officer version.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,846 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This isn't World of Tanks...they don't put more hull armor on the front of a ship than they do the back.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    This isn't World of Tanks...they don't put more hull armor on the front of a ship than they do the back.

I am well aware what game this isn't. And you are incorrect, Ablative Armor is additional hull armor. And not necessarily added equally across the hull.
  • Options
    picardtheiiipicardtheiii Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What about a debuff called like "surround them with the swarm of a thousand firey supernova explosions" that increase damage per shield facing being attacked. Kind of oposite of focus firing one shield facing but a new mechanic.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,846 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    druhin wrote: »
    I am well aware what game this isn't. And you are incorrect, Ablative Armor is additional hull armor. And not necessarily added equally across the hull.

Ships might have weak spots...but they don't armor half the ship and leave their rear unarmored...
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Ships might have weak spots...but they don't armor half the ship and leave their rear unarmored...

I agree... Tanks have the benefit of the enemy not moving around you as easily as a starship would in space...

A 3D enviroment requires that you pay equal attention to all areas of the ship you are in, when it comes to armor.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas