test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Private "Public Service"-Channel -> Blog and Feedback-Thread removed

2»

Comments

• tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hm, Public Service goes off the grid and suddenly NoP advertises everywhere. Hmmm, nope doesn't smell fishy at all.:rolleyes:

Yes, a channel owner goes wacky, and another channel comes up and fill in the void... it's almost as if multiple people play this game who can do things and coordinate..... who-d-a-thunk.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have used NoP PS for some time now, long before this channel went private. There is certainly no hostility there.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Wait wut?

ANOTHER downfall?

First Call Tuffli, now Public Service?

Time to permanently migrate to NoP then!
    For any NoP people reading this: it might be a good idea to change your MotD into something offering access to all things instead of fleet gear etc.
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You are correct, mistakes have been made and no Operator/Admin of EliteSTF can say that they didn't happen. We also can't say that we won't make any mistakes again.
    Fair enough. Thank you.
    But again, this discussion is offtopic. May I remind you that " Private "Public Service"-Channel -> Blog and Feedback-Thread removed" is the topic of this Thread and not "Private channels are imploding - a look on the history"? Well, EliteSTF is still there, we've got more then 4,000 members and we try to get more. But people need to know STFs before they join the channel, or they might be put on the ignore-lists of other members.
    Good for ESTF. If life is so perfect why are you here making silly evasions?

It is not off topic since the topic is, public channels that explode in public and then go private. Yes, it is. Stop before you sound like a US tea party whacko.

Adults in public expect to be held accountable. If you don't want your private channel to be discussed in public, do nothing to make you known to the public. Not even respond. And especially not with your PR copy/paste dodge. It's your community. The world is not going to stop spinning just for you.

Reputations are earned. Not managed.

Honestly you should have stopped at the first above quote.

People are broken - even when they get their way many want some sort of absolution. Find a priest. Better yet a dog. Try not to kick either.

I'm done.
  • torsten1009torsten1009 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Good for ESTF. If life is so perfect why are you here making silly evasions?

It is not off topic since the topic is, public channels that explode in public and then go private. Yes, it is. Stop before you sound like a US tea party whacko.

Adults in public expect to be held accountable. If you don't want your private channel to be discussed in public, do nothing to make you known to the public. Not even respond. And especially not with your PR copy/paste dodge. It's your community. The world is not going to stop spinning just for you.

Reputations are earned. Not managed.

Honestly you should have stopped at the first above quote.

People are broken - even when they get their way many want some sort of absolution. Find a priest. Better yet a dog. Try not to kick either.

I'm done.

Well, I started the Thread and I know the topic I've chosen. Let me give you an example, maybe you will then understand that your discussion is offtopic:

I started to talk about Opel (Vauxhall outside of germany). Then you started to talk about Mitsubishi. There are certain similarities, both produce cars, but there are also some differences.

Do you see now why you are offtopic? You could pretend that you would be talking about Volkswagen, it would still be offtopic.

So, please don't try to tell me what is offtopic and what not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If Star Trek Online was an Open-Source (GPL) Game, we would have a low-grind fork.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think Cryptic should simply no longer offer community blogs regarding public channels. I mean their heart was in the right place, but considering just how egotistical, closed-minded, and socially-stunted STO players can be, it really just invites things like this. These people aren't Cryptic employees. They aren't bound by any sort of obligation to accomodate players any more than they want to.

And it's not entirely the channel owners fault -- sure, they're the ones who decide to make the call to make a channel private or kick people or mute them, but having been a member of the EliteSTF channel, I can tell you that when it went public, it was horrendous because there were people who simply did not know how to do an EliteSTF and furthermore did not care (even enough to tell their team that they were new at this).

Channel owners post rules in the MotD. You're expected to read them and abide by them. Refusing to is not the owner's fault, it's the channel member's fault. They are guests and are expected to abide by the house rules. If you can't behave properly like a guest should, then honestly you're asking to get kicked and if enough people behave poorly -- then they ask for the channel to get muted or made private.

Sometimes owners go crazy and decide to kick certain members just because they don't like them or offended them (I was kicked from another Elite STF channel because one of the ops was in my team and decided to be a jerk, which I called him out on.), and despite being offered by other members to be invited back, I refused on principal.

But that's my perogative, just as it's theirs to have jerks in charge of the show. EliteSTF became better again once it reverted to private, and maybe Public Service will too.

People are inherently untrustworthy, and unfortunately these harsh judgment calls are simply part of the human condition. It's unfortunate the blog was removed, because it highlighted just how well people could get along -- but it's a sobering reminder that people (whether admins/ops or channel guests) simply can't be trusted.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • kharonsoremankharonsoreman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    iconians wrote: »
    I think Cryptic should simply no longer offer community blogs regarding public channels. Because it makes them targets for wolves.

Wolves who wait, then attack in packs.

Sorry iconians, just had to trim that little.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A wolf remains a wolf, even if it has not eaten your sheep.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Wolves who wait, then attack in packs.

Sorry iconians, just had to trim that little.

I think the wolf is too noble a creature to do a comparison with.

I would probably go with mosquitos. Because then everyone in the channel ends up getting mosquito bites.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • kharonsoremankharonsoreman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think the wolf is too noble a creature to do a comparison with.

I would probably go with mosquitos. Because then everyone in the channel ends up getting mosquito bites.

Fair, but it is connected to another post in another thread ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A wolf remains a wolf, even if it has not eaten your sheep.
  • pmarquardtpmarquardt Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I was informed that the channel was private now, and since that's the case, I removed the blog about the channel as it's no longer what it was advertised.
    In case you have wondered, I informed Brandon directly before I turned the channel from public to private and asked for the removal of the Guest Blog.
    And it's not entirely the channel owners fault -- sure, they're the ones who decide to make the call to make a channel private or kick people or mute them [...]

Channel owners post rules in the MotD. You're expected to read them and abide by them. Refusing to is not the owner's fault, it's the channel member's fault. They are guests and are expected to abide by the house rules. If you can't behave properly like a guest should, then honestly you're asking to get kicked and if enough people behave poorly -- then they ask for the channel to get muted or made private.

Exactly.

At the beginning the rules of the Public Service channel were extense, in the end it were three simple rules, which people constantly chose to ignore. Whatever you may have heard about me saying BOFF Training would be forbidden, that is plain nonsense as I put the idea for it into the channel in the first place.

The channel was turned private , because I grew tired of people acting like prebubescents, when they got caught in their disregard of the rules, then start a general discussion, by doing so disturbing the peace in the channel and ultimately insulting me and my mods as Morons, Pricks, TRIBBLE, Fascists and many others things.

So, I rather continue the channel with the dedicated subscribers, that understand the simple rules, then enjoy all those insults by people who whine when they get caught, disregarding some simple rules.

By the way, this will be my only comment on this matter, so save your breath.
  • tequilapastatequilapasta Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's a shame that this service was shut down.

For those people put out by this turn of events, I'd just like you to know that "NoP Public Service" is still open for business for all your free stuff needs.

type /channel_join NoP Public Service and you should be golden.

This service is brought to you by the generosity Nerds of Prey, an affiliate of Starfleet Dental, House of Snoo, Reddit Alert, House of Beautiful Romulans and many, many more great and noble fleets*.

*: PM me in game if you'd like your name added to this list.
    TdfsKwJ.jpg
  • skaar89skaar89 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i asked about officer training and you sent me private message and told me my question is against the rules and i will be kicked from channel if i ask anything else. son, you shoud read your rules better. my request was not against any rule but it was in form of a question and you did not like that. i copy- pasted your answer in channel so everyone coud see your threats about things that are ALLOWED in your rules. so you turned on your hitler TRIBBLE mode and started muting and kicking people. why? because you are power hungry maniac with admin powers in a public channel made for helping people. all you ever did was send threats on private messages and warning people about every single thing you didnt like in their request. kid, if you make a public channel for helping other players, maybe you shoud allow people to even ask for the help. not mute and kick them
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Eto... Mind if I ask what's this PubServ channel for?

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I can understand both points of view.

On the one hand the channel was created and designed for mature players to efficiently assist one another with invites. The rules were simple and designed specifically to avoid it being another 'spam channel' so to speak. Everytime someone would break the rules it turned into a giant 'drama fest' which was quite irritating.

At the same time many players lacked knowledge and did not know where to get that knowledge so they would ask in the channel. Against the rules and spirit of the channel, but understandable that it would happen.

It really reminds me of the doff channels and why their was a specific channel created for 'doff calls only'. Because humans are ignorant, selfish creatures at the end of the day. All of us, even myself, fit that description at some point.
    skaar89 wrote: »
    i asked about officer training and you sent me private message and told me my question is against the rules and i will be kicked from channel if i ask anything else. son, you shoud read your rules better. my request was not against any rule but it was in form of a question and you did not like that. i copy- pasted your answer in channel so everyone coud see your threats about things that are ALLOWED in your rules. so you turned on your hitler TRIBBLE mode and started muting and kicking people. why? because you are power hungry maniac with admin powers in a public channel made for helping people. all you ever did was send threats on private messages and warning people about every single thing you didnt like in their request. kid, if you make a public channel for helping other players, maybe you shoud allow people to even ask for the help. not mute and kick them

Your perspective is full of self entitlement. What gives you the right to break the rules? Why was your selfish desire to ask questions in that channel instead of some other place more important than the mods selfish desire to have a spam free highly efficient channel? Before calling other people names you might want to mature yourself just a bit.
    edited October 2013
    bareel you didnt understood what i said. i asked can someone train emitters 3 for my officer and is that a skill for lv3 or lv4 slot on that officer. thats it.
    mod went in rage mode and said i broke the rules. what god damn rules? i asked for training but since i made it look like a question, he got mad. i didnt mentioned money for it because that woud be against the rule. my question was 100% legit but mod didnt liked it. thats his problem. like i said, i followed rules with that question

after the threat, i decided to make it public so everyone coud see behaviour of the mods in a public channel made for helping others. my god, if you cant ask for help in a fu---ng public channel that was made for that, whats the point in having the channel in the 1st place? this is not the 1st time people did everything by the book but mods still went crazy. they warned us about breaking rules even if they were followed, we were threatened with mutes and kicks just because they didnt like our requests. wtf is wrong with them?

and why did the situation escalate so fast? like i said, mods behaviour was way out of line all the time. people finnaly got sick of them
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    khayuung wrote: »
    Eto... Mind if I ask what's this PubServ channel for?

The basic idea of the channel was to have a place to ask for free invites to fleet holdings, cell/tuffli ships, or other services that other players often charge for. Some large fleets used to charge for access to things like fleet gear, but this channel circumvented that. And for quite some time, it worked. I was able to get all the fleet gear and elite hangar pets I needed since my own fleet doesn't have a T5 starbase. Sadly, the channel has gone private and cannot be used by just anyone anymore.

Luckily, we still have the NoP Public Service channel that serves the exact same needs (and perhaps a few more), but with less maniacal restrictions.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • torsten1009torsten1009 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    bareel wrote: »
    (...)

Your perspective is full of self entitlement. What gives you the right to break the rules? Why was your selfish desire to ask questions in that channel instead of some other place more important than the mods selfish desire to have a spam free highly efficient channel? Before calling other people names you might want to mature yourself just a bit.
    Can somebody train a FED-SCI-Boff in Hazard-Emitter 3?
    -> Question, could be interpreted as "irrelevant chatter" (maybe by mistake),
    Requesting trainer for Hazard-Emitter 3, FED
    -> Request, allowed by "Public Service"-Rules.

It's a small difference and I think that Operator might have had a bad day. But it is exactly the point of beeing "kick-/mute-happy".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If Star Trek Online was an Open-Source (GPL) Game, we would have a low-grind fork.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    skaar89 wrote: »
    can someone train emitters 3 for my officer and is that a skill for lv3 or lv4 slot on that officer

That's what prompted this. Now let me ask a very fundamental question: is it more efficient for such questions to receive a one-line answer, or for such questions to receive a macro'd wall-of-text of the channel rules?

Which response is better for the person asking?

Which response is better for the others in the channel?
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    -> Question, could be interpreted as "irrelevant chatter" (maybe by mistake),

-> Request, allowed by "Public Service"-Rules.

It's a small difference and I think that Operator might have had a bad day. But it is exactly the point of beeing "kick-/mute-happy".

Seriously? Do people really need to be this pedantic?

That mod would love me then, id be sure to get channel kicked or whatever within two minutes of joining. Id do it just to TRIBBLE him off, too. Im normally pretty laid back and follow guidelines just to be polite, but some hitleresque fool like that would just get the verbal berating of a lifetime before he had to crutch on his "power" to shut me up.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That's what prompted this. Now let me ask a very fundamental question: is it more efficient for such questions to receive a one-line answer, or for such questions to receive a macro'd wall-of-text of the channel rules?

Which response is better for the person asking?

Which response is better for the others in the channel?

The answer is "Lt Commander, and yes a fed sci with starship hull repair 6 could do it."

Derp.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
    edited October 2013
    people sent me pm with answers like they do with most of the things. but mod was 1st one. took him like 5 sec to warn me about breaking the rules. those mods are just sitting in chat whole day and waiting to send private message with copy- paste warning about everything.
    so did i do something wrong by asking for training in emitters 3 and what skill slot woud it take on my officer? no
    is mod a power hungry control freak just waiting to show how cool he is with his kick-mute option? yes
  • artfulmerkageartfulmerkage Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That mod would love me then, id be sure to get channel kicked or whatever within two minutes of joining. Id do it just to TRIBBLE him off, too. Im normally pretty laid back and follow guidelines just to be polite, but some hitleresque fool like that would just get the verbal berating of a lifetime before he had to crutch on his "power" to shut me up.

Pathetic isn't it?

Kids.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~BranFlakes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran
  • eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I read a very large portion (approximately 1700 lines) of the incident, complete with commentary from NoP's channel. Skaar89 was completely in the right - he requested BOFF training in a channel whose rules specifically allow such. The channel admin got quite upset that, as part of that request, he also asked for clarification on whether the requested skill is a LtCmdr or Cmdr skill. :rolleyes:

I'm on my laptop, and the link is on my desktop. If enough people ask, I'll post it up this evening, all ~2770 lines of it.

I've also seen the channel admin give out warnings for requests that were not phrased exactly as desired - if you didn't say "requesting <stuff> please", he got annoyed. You could see evidence of that in the old rules, he had a rule basically stating anything not requested in exactly that format should be ignored. :rolleyes:

---post above eulifdavis---

EDIT: Hi all. This thread is dangerously close to moving into "naming and shaming" territory, so I am going to preemptively close it, as much of it is also off topic. Thanks! -Brandon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.