test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Private "Public Service"-Channel -> Blog and Feedback-Thread removed

torsten1009torsten1009 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
Hi,

the Public Service Channel has gone private and at the same time the Blog disappeared. Even the whole Feedback-Thread (try the link) has been deleted or locked.

The last posts of Feedback-Thread were about "Operators on a powertrip" and things like that. Well, now that the channel is private and the rules change more frequently than you can reload the page, this seems to be true.

Was there a flamewar going on on that Thread, or what happend over there?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If Star Trek Online was an Open-Source (GPL) Game, we would have a low-grind fork.
Post edited by torsten1009 on

Comments

• anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I heard one of the mods lost it and kicked and/or muted tons of people. I've never been in the channel myself though so I can't verify.
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah I just read that it went private. Oh well.

I got onto the NoP Public Service channel a while back and love it. Very friendly atmosphere from what I've seen there. I'll just stick to using that one.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • skaar89skaar89 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i started all that. i simply asked about bridge officer training in emitters 3 and is that lv3 or lv4 slot skill. then i received warning how my question is against rules and i will be banned if my questions continue. so i simply did copy- paste of mod message to chat and that was it. people started to complain how my question is not against any rule (and it really wasnt, its allowed by channel rules) and mod got angry. muted channel, muted bunch of people in there. when he unmuted channel, people raged at his actions. so he muted channel again. unmute, mute, unmute, mute. + bunch of people got kicked. now that channel is private and mod is playing god in it. so much for public service... awesome channel where you cant ask 1 thing without threats about ban. and no, this is not the 1st time that happened. mods are always warning people about everything. power hungry kids playing god ingame
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    A private public service channel.

Yeah that makes sense.

Someone should just start a new one and advertise it then?
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    A private public service channel.

Yeah that makes sense.

My thoughts exactly. How to serve the public when the channel is private :s
    pvp = small package
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Someone asked about boff training. But since they phrased it as a question rather than a perfectly formatted request, the channel owner went insane, started kicking people, and eventually muted the channel.

Sigh. This was a long time coming. I knew back when that guest blog was posted that those control freak mods wouldn't be able to handle an influx of people. Kind of sad, since STO needs good channels like that to give people access to fleet holdings and such.

Fortunately there's still NoP Public Service.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I had noticed it taking a nose dive lately. It is true, the mods were being a tad over the top with rules etc...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yep, it all started to go downhill when the blog as posted. It used to be nice place, but lately it hasn't been. Eh.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • showmeyourhonorshowmeyourhonor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Don't need to, we already have NoP Public Service and its a damned sight better.
  • galaxyrider0galaxyrider0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well... moderators are moderators in any game. Not surprised.

A shame, public services was really a good channel.

There's a growing talk about some fleets or players getting advantages from the mod team or even from DEVs. I'll not put names here because I have no proof and the is all that rulo about naming and shamming.

But... It's more than about time Cryptic put some effort in the customer support.
    --
    "If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Jean-Luc Picard
    edited October 2013
    Arent the mods of those channels just ordinary players though?

A global channel like that should be officially moderated by CSRs/GMs and the like.

In fact, this game really could use a global chat channel (with a 3-5 minute per post allowed rule to prevent spam and ESD-like conversations), zone chat really doesnt cut it for most things

Something like:

LTB item X, PM with offer
    Help me with mission Y, PM me
    Anyone want to do STF Z, send a pm
    Oh hey, this mission is broken so dont do it right now

and so on. one post every few minutes allowed wouldnt clog it to death, and spam would obviously get muted out etc

I dunno, i never did like player moderated global chats. Never.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
  • anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Fortunately there's still NoP Public Service.
    Why would you even need PS when you have NoP PS?
    I wouldn't have any Elite stuff if it wasn't for them. The convos in there are very laidback too without any stupid rules. I guess the only rule there is: don't be an *******. NoP rocks!
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • torsten1009torsten1009 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Arent the mods of those channels just ordinary players though?

A global channel like that should be officially moderated by CSRs/GMs and the like.

In fact, this game really could use a global chat channel (with a 3-5 minute per post allowed rule to prevent spam and ESD-like conversations), zone chat really doesnt cut it for most things

Something like:

LTB item X, PM with offer
    Help me with mission Y, PM me
    Anyone want to do STF Z, send a pm
    Oh hey, this mission is broken so dont do it right now

and so on. one post every few minutes allowed wouldnt clog it to death, and spam would obviously get muted out etc

I dunno, i never did like player moderated global chats. Never.

Well, there are multiple channels for all those things you are asking for: "TheTradingChannel" (public channel) for example is a good channel for Buying/Selling/Trading, "NoP Public Service" (public channel) just got #1 for invites to Cellships, Bases,... (all that the now private "Public Service"-Channel was good for and so on.

The only limit is the 20 channels per account limit... Except you are spamming, then you might get banned (temporaly) from the chat-system or even from the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If Star Trek Online was an Open-Source (GPL) Game, we would have a low-grind fork.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2013
    I was informed that the channel was private now, and since that's the case, I removed the blog about the channel as it's no longer what it was advertised.

Other than that notification, we are not involved in this matter or channel in anyway, so you'd want to reach out to the organizers of the previous channel for information. If it becomes public again in the future, I'll be able to republish the blog and move the thread back to the GNN.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    All too reminiscent of the EliteSTF channel (really? muting/banning people for using TRIBBLE as a join tag?) and now why folks are having a wonderful time socializing and playing missions from the PublicESTF channel.
  • illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, the channel owner threw a fit earlier and banned everyone in it. I'm sure a successor channel will open up shortly.
  • kharonsoremankharonsoreman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Public channels are bound to go to pot sooner or later in a game where Devs promote trolling. I am shocked some of the channels have lasted or do last as long as they do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A wolf remains a wolf, even if it has not eaten your sheep.
    edited October 2013
    All too reminiscent of the EliteSTF channel (really? muting/banning people for using TRIBBLE as a join tag?) and now why folks are having a wonderful time socializing and playing missions from the PublicESTF channel.

Sorry, I'm EliteSTF-Operator, but EliteSTF is not the topic of this thread. If you want to complaint about EliteSTF, send me (@torsten1009) an ingame-mail or mail the Admin of EliteSTF (@UFP-74656) directly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    Sorry, I'm EliteSTF-Operator, but EliteSTF is not the topic of this thread. If you want to complaint about EliteSTF, send me (@torsten1009) an ingame-mail or mail the Admin of EliteSTF (@UFP-74656) directly.

Im sorry, I know this is a serious post... but you sounded exactly like a customer service copypasta there XD
    Gold.jpg
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Actually it is relevant. It is another example of a channel that was meant to be for the betterment of the playerbase, but went private and was ruined after the management went on a power trip.... :rolleyes:
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hm, Public Service goes off the grid and suddenly NoP advertises everywhere. Hmmm, nope doesn't smell fishy at all.:rolleyes:
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
    edited October 2013
    Hm, Public Service goes off the grid and suddenly NoP advertises everywhere. Hmmm, nope doesn't smell fishy at all.:rolleyes:

You may choose to see conspiracies if you wish, but Public Service went down because its control freak owner couldn't handle the influx of people in the last month or two, and finally cracked. It's been building up for a while, if you've been paying attention.

If the NoP people see an opportunity to advertise, who can blame them, really?
  • donkeybong420donkeybong420 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    you can try channel
    a public service
    edited October 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Actually it is relevant. It is another example of a channel that was meant to be for the betterment of the playerbase, but went private and was ruined after the management went on a power trip.... :rolleyes:

You forgot to tell the rest of the story:

The Chief-Admin that kicked people for having "slap-in-the-face"-@handles (a "666" in the @handle was enough) left the channel, the new Chief-Admin simplified the rules and EliteSTF is a better place now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited October 2013

i dunno about 'NoP advertising everywhere'. i started a thread simply because me and quite a few others lost one of our biggest outlets for offering free base-invites to the public-at-large, and we want to to inform those people that a perfectly functional alternative exists: NoP Public Service.
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You forgot to tell the rest of the story:

The Chief-Admin that kicked people for having "slap-in-the-face"-@handles (a "666" in the @handle was enough) left the channel, the new Chief-Admin simplified the rules and EliteSTF is a better place now.
    Hmm. Ok I instigated this so I'll step up.

Your representation is hardly comprehensive. It seems to me like evasion.

Over the past year your channel's mods have developed a well-deserved reputation for excess. When there was a known bug with muting, known that muting anyone was essentially a perma-mute because of the bug, this channel had mods that willing threw out mutes like beads in a parade.

It's a private channel, your channel, do with it what you will. As you all already have.

But at least own it and be proud of it.

Better yet say nothing at all and go back to your private channel with its private rules and norms. There is nothing wrong with that.

Because that is the point of being private after all.
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    It goes beyond that even. STO advertised this channel as an example of the playerbase working well together and using game mechanics to make ESTF more approachable to all customers.

Then EliteSTF went wonky. When players appealed to Cryptic (because, again, this channel was promoted) the response (rightly so I agree) was that this was the point of public vs private channels. Anyone who disagrees with a player channel is correct to critique and move on.

As happened with EliteSTF. And now this latest channel.

I agree across the board. And have zero sympathy when a private channel implodes.
  • weirdtrekie30weirdtrekie30 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I feel really saddened by all this.

I bought a Tuffli partly to help serve the Public Service channel, I invested millions of EC for the betterment of the playerbase.

But, unless the channel is made public again, I don't feel I can offer services through it. Being private defeats the point of a PUBLIC service channel!

Fortunately, I have now discovered there is an alternative channel, which I shall be using until/if the Public Service channel is public again.
    Admiral Tuwud - High Commissioner, UFP Peace Corps Sigma Red
    logo%203.jpg?gid=272661&source=asset
  • thumpyechothumpyecho Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well this is news to me......I've used Public Service for the better part of a year, it has been good to me. So I'll stick around to see the fallout. I must have missed the "drama"....
    According to their website - there is just an announcement saying it is private now(???) - as somebody said a private public service channel?.....o....k......

NoP Public Service was around before PS went private.

The heck is going on with all the channels? ESTF continues to take flack, PESTF had that spat recently, now Public Service has this?
    edited October 2013
    Perhaps when a channel becomes important enough to be blog-worthy, Cryptic needs to take it away from its owners and moderate it directly.

But then no one will make a public channel, will they?
    edited October 2013
    Hmm. Ok I instigated this so I'll step up.

Your representation is hardly comprehensive. It seems to me like evasion.

Over the past year your channel's mods have developed a well-deserved reputation for excess. When there was a known bug with muting, known that muting anyone was essentially a perma-mute because of the bug, this channel had mods that willing threw out mutes like beads in a parade.

It's a private channel, your channel, do with it what you will. As you all already have.

But at least own it and be proud of it.

Better yet say nothing at all and go back to your private channel with its private rules and norms. There is nothing wrong with that.

Because that is the point of being private after all.

It goes beyond that even. STO advertised this channel as an example of the playerbase working well together and using game mechanics to make ESTF more approachable to all customers.

Then EliteSTF went wonky. When players appealed to Cryptic (because, again, this channel was promoted) the response (rightly so I agree) was that this was the point of public vs private channels. Anyone who disagrees with a player channel is correct to critique and move on.

As happened with EliteSTF. And now this latest channel.

I agree across the board. And have zero sympathy when a private channel implodes.

When I became an Operator of EliteSTF, I was warned to never mute a player. I know only about 4 victims of the mute bug. I'm unable to unmute those people, even Cryptic tried to unmute them and it took only about 2 days until they were muted again - I'm not saying that those players have been muted by an Operator/Admin again.

You are correct, mistakes have been made and no Operator/Admin of EliteSTF can say that they didn't happen. We also can't say that we won't make any mistakes again.

But again, this discussion is offtopic. May I remind you that " Private "Public Service"-Channel -> Blog and Feedback-Thread removed" is the topic of this Thread and not "Private channels are imploding - a look on the history"? Well, EliteSTF is still there, we've got more then 4,000 members and we try to get more. But people need to know STFs before they join the channel, or they might be put on the ignore-lists of other members.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.